Start by marking “The Uninvited” as Want to Read:
The Uninvited

The Uninvited

From the award-winning author of In the Shadow of Blackbirds comes a stunning new novel—a masterfully crafted story of love, loss, and second chances. Set during the fear and panic of the Great Influenza of 1918, The Uninvited is part gothic ghost-story, part psychological thriller, perfect for those who loved The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield or The Vanishing by We

Published August 11th 2015 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Uninvited, please sign up.
Amy Yes, without a doubt. Though the story is really about Ivy, the main character, there is a love story throughout that is an important, intrinsic part…moreYes, without a doubt. Though the story is really about Ivy, the main character, there is a love story throughout that is an important, intrinsic part of it, without overwhelming the rest of the story.(less)
Amy I would say so. Cat Winters has actually written two books about this time period, and as far as I can tell, she's done a lot of research. It seemed…moreI would say so. Cat Winters has actually written two books about this time period, and as far as I can tell, she's done a lot of research. It seemed very accurate to me.(less)

Emily May
Mama paled. "Are you saying that you and Peter killed a man tonight?"
"No." Father shook his head. "That wasn't a man. He was a German."

Yet another instance where I pick up a Cat Winters novel and the real world just melts away.

Firstly, you should know that this isn't supposed to be a YA book, unlike Winters' other marvelous works - In the Shadow of Blackbirds and The Cure for Dreaming - but I do think that all her books have a lot of crossover appeal. The romance is more mature, more sexual, a
Navessa
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could sum up this book in two words, those words would be haunting and atmospheric.

Winters captures a dark time in American history and humanizes every character. This book is colored in shades of grey and shadowed in darker tones of charcoal and onyx. Not a light read, but one I cannot recommend enough for anyone looking to take a brief break from their usual, favorite genres and read something as unique as it is compelling.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest
TL
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
Reread via audiobook:) Like sinking into a warm bath or visiting an old friend *happy sigh*

Narrator did a wonderful job bringing the characters and atmosphere to life. As well as Daniel's accent:) I was impressed with the way she did all the male voices really.

Still highly recommend!
----

Original review:

Gorgeous, haunting, beautiful.. I could go on;-)

Sucked in from the first page, we meet Ivy Rowan as she is recovering form the flu epidemic of 1918.. rising out of her sickbed to some troubling n
♛Tash
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
* Review has minor spoilers *

1918, the last year of the first world war and the first of the Influenza/Spanish flu pandemic that infected hundreds of millions and killed millions. It was a killer of a year and this is when The Uninvited happens.

Music teacher Ivy Rowan sees dead people,The Uninvited as she calls them. Seeing The Uninvited heralds the death of someone significant to Ivy's life. After being struck down by the flu for days, Ivy wakes up to a commotion in their home, her father and y
Vanessa J.

It’s 1918. World War I is on the brink of finishing, but that doesn’t mean the situation is good or desirable at all. There is an atmosphere filled with hatred towards the Germans in the U.S., and there is the influenza to deal with too, so you see, there’s nothing desirable about it.

The women in Ivy Rowan’s family have the “ability” of seeing ghosts of dead people. The last ghost she saw was like a premonition of her brother’s death – she saw the ghost and not long after, she was noticed her b
Trish
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The head makes war, but the heart makes peace and, thankfully, the heart ends up ruling more than not.

This tale is utterly haunting - not in the way I expected when deciding to read this book, but still in a great way. I thought this would be a creepy ghost story before the backdrop of WWI.
Instead I got a story about a small town in Illinois during WWI that was struck by Influenza and the monstrosities humans do to one another. Creepy in its own way.
It wasn't until the 85% mark that the su
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

After two literary successes for young adults, the amazing Cat Winters is back with The Uninvited, a breathtaking story about a 25-year-old girl fighting the heavy burden of her family’s sins. Winters takes us back to final days of World War I, right in the middle of the 1918 flu pandemic, and although it’s not her first foray into that very same time period, The Uninvited stands on its own two feet, beautiful and incomparable with anything she’s done before.

The psychology of war is a
Bonnie
“Some spirits get stuck in the places where they died. […] Some struggle to complete a task they didn’t finish when they were alive. Others, they roam the earth, unsettled, restless, unsure what to do or where they belong. And then there are the lucky ones…”

In the midst of the final days of World War I, there is no peaceful end in sight in the town of Buchanan, Illinois. The hatred towards Germans continues to grow and the recent outbreak of Spanish influenza has many blaming the Germans for r
Medini

It is 1918, in Buchanan, Illinois.

The world is ravaged by a pandemic of the Spanish Influenza, which seems to be claiming those in the pink of their health: young men, women and children. The stench of death is thick in the air. Hospitals are crowded and overflowing with bleeding, puking, dying patients. Town halls and homes are being converted into refuges for the sick.

There’s also the war. Young men are forced to enlist in the army as soon as they turn eighteen. The American government, heade
Vishakha ~ ReadingSpren ~
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vishakha by: madandelion
Thank you so much Saanchi for recommending this wonderful book. (her review)

The Uninvited is set in America during World War I when the infamous 1918 influenza pandemic hit the country. Its an era of jazz, fear, death, romance and xenophobia.

Mama paled. “Are you saying that you and Peter killed a man tonight?”
“No.” Father shook his head.
“That wasn’t a man. He was a German.”

Ivy is an all-American girl in her mid-twenties (considered too old for a girl to be unmarried during that time) who ha
Gabriela
*Review en español en mi blog: https://backstreetbooksblog.wordpress...

description

It's been a long time since a historical fiction book (or any book) caused me the feelings "The Uninvited" made me feel. With a beautiful history of World War I seen from the American side, Cat Winters created one of the best books I ever read. American nationalism, an epidemic of deadly flu and a "paranormal" touch make this story set during the year of 1918 a book worth reading.

I loved every single second of this book. It
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
The women in Ivy Rowan's family has always had the gift to see the dead. But the ghost of loved ones always heralds impending death. On an evening in October 1918, 25-year-old Ivy sees granny Letty just for a moment, but an hour later her father and brother killed a man. Ivy then decides to leave the farm and move to the city...

The Uninvited is a book that took me completely by surprise. The cover and blurb made it out to be a much darker story than it was and I was in the beginning disappointe
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Cat Winters is known for her beautifully detailed, creative, and imaginative worlds. Worlds that transport you back in time to another place and more often than not, to something other.

It is for all these reasons that I didn't hesitate to pick up The Uninvited.
I needed that small taste of the other she is so gifted at creating. I needed the beautiful world I knew she could paint and more than that, I needed something unique, original, and enchanting.

Winter's has an amazing ability to blend hist
Elesia
Every time I read a book by Cat Winters, I go into it thinking 'yes, I'm sooo ready for a nice historical during World War I!' and I always come out with an emotional kick to my feels. She writes historical so realistic and she holds nothing back, she doesn't glorify what the world was like in 1918 and I so love that.

This book had an amazing setting; America, 1918-racism, illness, jazz music. It's a time when young men are being sent to their deaths in war and everyone is also fighting against
Melissa Landers
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was SO, SO GOOD! Set during the first World War and the influenza outbreak of 1918, the novel follows Ivy, a small-town American girl who leaves home for the first time at age 25 after discovering her father and brother have murdered a local German man out of retaliation for her second brother's death during the war. Ivy has always been blessed/cursed with the ability to see the dead, who appear as harbingers to warn of impending tragedy; and with people dying in droves from war and influen ...more
Raven Haired Girl

I've never encounter a character carrying such burden, guilt, the need to protect others as she sacrifices her wants. A young woman paying for her father's sins, hellbent on mending the rents of others wrongs. Ivy's shoulders are heavy as she carries the weight of the world. I liked Ivy and I felt a tremendus amount of empathy for her family situation and the predicament along with the ro
Terri
May 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Review also found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

**I received an advanced copy of this book from the publisher William Morrow via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review**

I don't normally peak ahead to any of the reviews as I like to enter in to a read with a completely open mind, however in the case of this book I did take a look once I completed it. I found this story to be a little bit all over the place and I needed to know what others thought. It seems for the most part that
Tiffy
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this historical fiction meets paranormal book. I can’t wait to read more and discover more by the author. Feel free to visit here for my full review https://tiffyreads.wordpress.com/2018...
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This review was originally posted on It Starts at Midnight
So, as you may know (or maybe you don't, I don't know what you know), I adored Cat Winters' The Cure For Dreaming. Like, all time favorite-status adored. Obviously, when this book popped up on Edelweiss, I knew it needed to be consumed by me as soon as possible. Good news- It did not disappoint! And now, we shall talk about all the reasons why:

Cat Winters is an absolute master of historical fiction.

How can someone who was very obviously
Louisa
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. What an emotional rollercoaster The Uninvited turned out to be!

It's 1918 in America, and Ivy Rowan is suffering from a bout of the influenza epidemic that has swept the country. On top of that, she is dealing with the horrifying fact that her brother and father have just killed a man. She can also see harbringer ghosts when someone is about to die. I can only imagine how stressful that would be.

Mama paled. "Are you saying that you and Peter killed a man tonight?"
"No." Father shook his head
Maria Hill AKA MH Books
2.5 Stars rounded down because it had so much potential that was never reached.
I am so not with the crowd on this one!

There are some very good descriptions and it's an interesting period in history. In fact, it was an amazing period of history. Paranoia over Germans and foreigners during WWI, while the real killer, Spanish Flu, rips its way through the young and healthy population of a small American town. That should have been brilliant!

The narrative, however, is weak, the "romance" pathetic (a
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Buchanon, Illinois is a quiet town, but it's filled with people who hate Germans, thanks to World War I. Plus, this small town is dealing with a dangerous strand of influenza. Ivy Rowan, a twenty-five year old piano teacher, just recovered from the flu and has come to find that her brother and her father confess to killing a German. Just because. Ivy is disgusted by their blatant racism and violent acts, so she finally gains the courage to leave her family's house. She heads into town to find a ...more
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
This book took a very interesting twist. I love how she makes the paranormal touch feel so natural; like it's something that happens every day. Review will follow.

Cat Winters has been on my favorite list ever since I read In the shadow of blackbirds. She followed up with the fantastic The cure for dreaming and she has settled her place with The uninvited. Every single one of her books have been successful and I absolutely adore her writing and the strong h
Drew
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I admit, I had seen a ghost or two.”

description

Ivy has the uncanny ability to see ghosts.

The women in her family have always been this way. Just before someone is about to die, Ivy will see the ghost of a loved one. A warning or a curse though it may be, Ivy has grown used to her strange gift.

In 1918, war is plaguing every street and the Spanish influenza is raging in town. From house to house, people are dropping like flies. Death hangs heavy in the air.

Ivy has recently recovered from the sickness hers
Sarah Swann
Listened to the audio of this incredibly quickly. Overall the storyline was good. I liked the setting and what the characters were going through. There was a good twist I didn’t see coming. What I didn’t like was that the characters were using sex to escape reality and ignore what was happening around them. It seemed a little out of place and I hated the reason they were first together. HATED! I was teetering in a 2 star rating, but the twist brought it up to a 3 for me.
Caitlin L
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5! So so good. I love reading books taken place in the World Wars. And I love reading about the ghosts. This was my first true ghost book and I loved it. Full review coming soon!
Elishia
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, historical
That twist upped my rating.
SpookySoto
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to SpookySoto by: Radha
Rating: 3.5 I liked it a lot😁.
Feelings/ Emotions : Surprised, intrigued, moved.
Recommended if you like: Historical fiction, romance, paranormal stories, character driven stories.
Would I read something else from this author?: Maybe.
2018’s Around the year in 52 books: #20, A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends.

The uninvited is a history set in the USA in 1918, in the middle of the Spanish flu pandemic, one of the deadliest in human history. We follow Ivy, she and all the women in he
Emily (Falling for YA)
In the Shadow of Blackbirds earned Cat Winters a place on my must read authors list. I love the way she can transport a reader back in time and really make her characters feel real.

The Uninvited takes place during World War I and the Spanish Influenza, the same as In the Shadow of Blackbirds, but in a different part of the country. Through this novel we got to see how the Spanish influenza increased tensions between Germans who had immigrated to the United States before, and during, the war and
Kristen
This and other reviews are on my website My Friends Are Fiction

My Thoughts:
Cat Winters will never fail to amaze me with how beautifully she melds historical elements into her stories. As with In the Shadow of Blackbirds Winters ventures back into 1918 and the horrible flu outbreak with her newest novel, The Uninvited. This time she also adds in the panic surrounding World War I and the push to show patriotism and to fear/hate anyone with ties to Germany. Winters was able to create such vivid s
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 5 Mar 18, 2015 11:25AM

• Among the Red Stars
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
  • The Unquiet
  • Dusk (Dusk, #1)
  • Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)
  • This Monstrous Thing
  • A Barricade In Hell (Delia Martin, #2)
  • Open Mic Night at Westminster Cemetery
  • The Freemason's Daughter
  • The Wondrous and the Wicked (The Dispossessed, #3)
  • Velvet Undercover
  • Under These Restless Skies
  • Traitor Angels
  • A Proper Education for Girls
  • Witchfall (The Tudor Witch Trilogy, #2)
  • Losing Enough
  • When I Wake
  • The Caged Graves
Cat Winters is an award-winning, critically acclaimed author of fiction that blends history with the supernatural. Her young adult works include IN THE SHADOW OF BLACKBIRDS, THE CURE FOR DREAMING, THE STEEP AND THORNY WAY, ODD & TRUE, and a forthcoming novel about Edgar Allan Poe's teen years, THE RAVEN'S TALE (available April 16, 2019). She is also the author of two adult novels, THE UNINVITE ...more
“But this is not the fantastical land of liberty that people portray in stories. The melting pot does nothing but scald and blister right now.” 2 likes
“The head makes war, but the heart makes peace. And, thankfully, the heart ends up ruling more than not.” 2 likes