Start by marking “Blind Voices” as Want to Read:
Blind Voices

Blind Voices

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  192 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
DREAMS TURN TO TERROR

It's summer. The circus is coming to town. And in the shadows of the gaily-painted wagons lurks an ancient and evil creature whose inhuman lusts will shatter forever the peace of a small Kansas community...

Cover Artist: David Plourde
Mass Market Paperback, 246 pages
Published August 1st 1979 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Blind Voices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blind Voices

C.M. Muller
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I made the “mistake” of seeking out biographical information concerning the author before I began reading his book. (Granted, this is a common enough occurrence with me, as I suspect it is with others). In brief, here is what I discovered: Tom Reamy died shortly before "Blind Voices" saw print, at the age of forty-two. He passed in perhaps the best possible way a writer could go: hunched over his typewriter, seven pages into his newest and final story, having just suffered a heart attack. It’s q ...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/952841.html[return][return]Blind Voices is set in the same fictional Kansas town that forms the background to several of the short stories, but it doesn't really matter for continuity purposes: a travelling freak show comes to town, and brings sex and death in its wake. Some people have described it as Bardburyesque, but I think Reamy actually does better than Bradbury in some respects - in particular, the tone of horror is more gripping where Bradbury sometimes risks ...more
Charles
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I was so sorry to hear when Tom Reamy died. This book is one of the best that I've ever read. It reminded me very much of Ray Bradbury and I think Reamy would have been a natural successor to Bradbury. Excellent work.
Dalibor Ivanovic
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knjige
Odlicna knjiga, nakon sto covjek pomisli da je upoznat sa svim kvalitetnim autorima iz doba Novo valskog Sfa, otkrije se ovakvo nesto. Dosta podsjeca na Bradburyeve radovo, no i ovo je pravo kvalitetna knjiga. Likovi su zanimljivi i prepuni cuda, stil pisanja je stvarno slican Bradburyu...no drago mi da sam otkrio knjigu.
Tracey
Sep 05, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-longer-owned
Read thru this novel last night in a little over an hour. It's a fairly short book, and the story just carried me right along to the finish.

The cover copy* compares Reamy to Ray Bradbury; the first chapter left me feeling as if he were trying too hard to be like Ray, but the style/tone settled down fairly quickly once the story got started.

The style isn't the only comparison: As in Something Wicked This Way Comes - the novel is set in a small Kansas town in the first part of the twentieth centur
Lori
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SO I found out about this book by perusing a GR member's bookshelves, and thought 'Huh, interesting title, circus plot, compared to Ray Bradbury, gotta check it out'.

It was impossible to find a copy anywhere. It's from the 60's, written by a guy who died at a young age, eliminating the opportunity to write anything else. A Shame, that.

Taking place in a little wheat and farm town in Kansas, we are introduced to a traveling curiosus and wondershow, boasting an incredible freakshow line up - Medu
Alex
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a fun and quick read. Tom Reamy does a really great job combining the grotesque and idyllic, the hopeful and horrific. I can see how writing Twilla helped to set up this story. The creatures in the freak show are fully realized and interesting characters, and the town is fully inhabited. And not all the wretched horror comes from the monsters.

This is much closer to what I wanted Something Wicked This Way Comes, although I found Mr. Dark a much more compelling villain. I can only ima
Hugo
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'd heard a lot about Tom Reamy over the years. He died young, and the eulogies were many. I couldn't quite get to grips with this book, though: the Bradburyesque setting and style seemed much at odds with the darker tone of the story, and there was a clumsiness to the book which grated. It seems more a stretched novella than a novel, even though it's a short novel. I found out later that this was more of a first draft, a work in progress when Reamy died, and I think it's a book which would have ...more
Robert
Nov 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Fans of Ray Bradbury's work SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES may like this - very reminiscent of his work, but a bit darker. Fans of the show CARNIVALE will also like this.
Norman Howe
May 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A dark analogue of "The Circus of Doctor Lao."
Martina
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Blind Voices popped up in my Goodreads recommendations, so I decided to give them a go. The blurb sounded like something Stephen King would have liked to spin a yarn from - small town in America visited by a traveling circus. It absolutely foreshadows that something wicked this way comes, doesn’t it?

It’s certainly a solid effort. The first part of the novel is too tepid for my taste, but as soon as the pace picks up, the book becomes more tense and page-turning.

Interestingly, I was more impresse
Nick
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The early death of Tom Reamy deprived the literary world of a very interesting voice. In this novel, he drew upon influences from Ray Bradbury [Something Wicked This Way Comes] and Charles Finney [Circus of Dr. Lao]. In fact, one of the young character is named Finney, which I assumed to be an homage.
This book alternates between being hopeful and grim, and it isn't until one of the speeches by the "villain" that the reader learns that it is as much science fiction as it is fantasy, and why.
Reamy
Bill
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-reread
A beautiful and haunting story, somewhat reminiscent of Ray Bradbury's best and creepiest work. When a traveling circus comes to a small Kansas town, the locals are intrigued by the chance to see strange creatures like Tiny Tim, a cyclops, a mermaid, and a snake woman, among others. When Evelyn Bradley meets the Angel Boy, a mystery and a love story are simultaneously launched. Soon enough, strange things begin to happen in town. As Evelyn investigates, the secrets slowly come into the light. Pa ...more
Shannon
Dec 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi, favorites
Off the wall, twisted, a little perverse, and completely the opposite of what I expected. Which is why I LOVE this book! It's a short but wonderful little read. I've seen on other reviews that it's a bit hard to find. I happened to come across it while at a thrift shop. If you can find it, it's worth the search. My only regret is that the author died soon after this, his only novel, was published. The characters in this book could have had many other stories and adventures.
Connie
I first read this one when I was sixteen or seventeen, I got it from the library. I just reread it and I still love the story. I wish that Reamy had lived long enough to write many more novels.
It does read a little like Bradbury, at least during the introduction, but as the story of a girl who falls in love with the magic boy from the traveling circus goes on Reamy's own voice becomes clearer.
If you like magical realism this one would be for you.
Beatriz
Jul 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book back in the 70s and I have never forgotten the eerie, strange characters/world he evokes. Somewhat like Ray Bradbury at his darkest. I have not re-read it in a long time but it's definitely different and worth reading. I remember looking for more books by him (I read his short story collection _San Diego Lightfoot Sue_) and being so sorry to find out he had died young and left no further writings.
Ivo
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-novels
The book starts really well, creating a dense and eerie atmosphere. It is a pleasure to read how the circus intrudes into the monotonous world of a rural Kansas community, creating excitement first and horror soon after.

While progressing, you increasingly get the feeling, that this book did not completely stand the test of time. I am sure I would have given maximum rating 30 years ago....
Rick Hautala
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it when it came out ... remember liking it quite a bit but also remember being disappointed by the ending ... reading it again, I'm enjoying it again and dreading that the ending will disappoint again ...

Finished this a while ago now and liked it even more than I remember ... Highly recommended!
Kelly
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
I wish that Tom Reamy had lived to create a final draft of this. The writing and pacing are both clunky, but the story is great.
Shelley
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this and his short story collection, San Diego Lightfoot Sue. Both have stayed with me years after reading them.
Janelle Corr
Probably should have read this one 25 years ago. Oops!
Allyson Shaw
I found this pretty cliched and kind of corny- amusing in a B movie sort of way.
Steve
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a teen and still remember the magical quality of his writing.
Devo
Nov 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like an evil carnival.
Shelves: fantastical
Excellent! The more I think about this book the creepier it gets!!!
Alan
May 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What might have been! Strong book, and only novel by an author who died too young. Beautiful imagery and storytelling skills.
Andreas
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • And Chaos Died
  • The Devil Is Dead
  • The Exile Waiting
  • Half Past Human (The Hive, #1)
  • On Wings of Song
  • Shadrach in the Furnace
  • The Year of the Quiet Sun
  • Temporary Agency (Unquenchable Fire, #2)
  • City on Fire (Metropolitan #2)
  • Good News from Outer Space
  • What Entropy Means to Me
  • The Road to Corlay (The White Bird of Kinship #1)
  • Celestis
  • The Silent Strength of Stones (Chapel Hollow #2)
  • The Byworlder
  • Juniper Time
  • Crescent City Rhapsody (Nanotech, #3)
  • Mars Crossing
Thomas Earl Reamy was an American science fiction and fantasy author and a key figure in 1960s and 1970s science fiction fandom. He died prior to the publication of his first novel; his work is primarily dark fantasy.

His books include one novel, Blind Voices (published posthumously), and a collection of short stories, San Diego Lightfoot Sue and Other Stories. He was the winner of the 1976 John W.
More about Tom Reamy...