Start by marking “Become An Idea Machine: Because Ideas Are The Currency Of The 21st Century” as Want to Read:
Become An Idea Machine: Because Ideas Are The Currency Of The 21st Century

Become An Idea Machine: Because Ideas Are The Currency Of The 21st Century

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  579 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
HOW DO I TRANSFORM MY LIFE? The answer is simple. Come up with 10 ideas a day. Every day. It does not matter if they are good or bad, the point is to exercise your idea muscle, to make it sweat.

People say ideas are a dime a dozen but that is NOT true. Ideas are a dime for three, but if you try to come up with ten by opening this book to any page, you will feel your mind s
Published January 8th 2015 by Choose Yourself Media, LLC (first published December 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Become An Idea Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Become An Idea Machine

Rinna
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
This is not so much a book as it is a list with an introduction.
Claudia Azula Altucher wrote a companion to her husband's Choose Yourself, a completely redundant book. For an idea what it's about, please read the first review on its GR page.

I'm giving this book 3 stars because it's a nice idea in principle, and 'Become An Idea Machine' is a better title than 'crank out a lot of stuff of questionable usefulness'.

The author is of the notion, certainly correctly so, that if you make an effort to pr
Hannah Braime
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I downloaded Become an Idea Machine as I’d started a 10 ideas a day practice and it's become one of the most useful parts of my morning routine. I picked up this book already sold on the premise, hoping for inspiration and more background on the original idea. I’ve been using it each day for three weeks and have mixed feelings about it.

The book has a brief introduction followed by 180 ideas for lists.The ideas for lists are helpful, fun, interesting, and have encouraged me to think outside my co
loafingcactus
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I listened to the audible version, which makes the lists mostly useless but from reading the reviews here is much better on the content side than the written book.

I got this audible book because I had a long drive and I was curious- I'm pretty sure I have more than 10 ideas a day almost every day. As a content and social media manager for a variety of brands, I have to. I had just generated a mind-map with more than 200 ideas for one one project.

The author recommends writing down your ideas, whi
Dawn
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ideas are important, they are truly the currency of life. Claudia Altucher reinforced my belief in this. I used to think my mind was cluttered because of all the ideas rattling around. In this book she assures me it's not. It's important to discipline ideas. For those for whom this discipline seems difficult, it's no different than doing ten pushups a day, eating healthy, or forming any healthy habit. Thinking of things in a whole new way is simply a new habit. It's a life-changer.

In "Become an
Stephen Smith
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is more of a workbook than read front to back back that tells a story. The first part follows the common theme of a personal development book then it goes into asking the questions and finding 10 solutions for each. That is the idea creation part. Get the ebook and just skim the first few chapters. I have been using questions and idea creation from the other parts of the book daily for many months. If nothing else it forces you to think different.
Osama
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
A Good Subject, a Bad Structure

The book subject is good but putting it into lists wasn't a good idea at all, by time you will find yourself skipping through the lists without trying to apply or filling them and will end up fast-reading them without even thinking of them.
Nguyên Trương
Actually, I think it deserves 3.5 stars. In fact, I am not really enjoy this book, maybe because I just spent a few days to finish this book.
As the recommend of the author I should re-read this book slowly and practice everyday, I totally agree, no matter how many books that you read you need to apply it into your real life to see or feel how it works, you cannot just read and forget it in the corner of your house and expect it would change your life.
One of the reasons I don't like this book i
David  Rodriguez
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
No es un libro que transmita conocimiento. Es un libro que tiene 180 temas para hacer listas de 10ideas. El concepto es bueno y el resultado si se hace con juicio igual. Pero no es algo para sentarse a leer
Jennifer Lawrence
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great reminder...

Ideas are important, they are not good or bad ; Ideas help us reach our goals or carry out your purpose. Without ideas we will not progress. If we stop coming up with new ideas, we stifle our creativity.
Minh Bùi
Quyển sách có thể không có gì đặc sắc lắm với một số người, nhưng với mình thì khá hữu ích, chắc do mình bình thường chậm chạp trong suy nghĩ quá, nên tóm lại, thích.
Borce
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've read the intro and am now starting with my first list of 10 ideas - technically, there are lists for 180 days, which I haven't read or done yet, but I will!
Nathan Lively
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great idea - goodly executed

I love the idea and did the whole process. I didn’t love the spelling and grammar errors and occasional poor questions.
Shane Mcconnell
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun jumpstart for thinking and writing

Quick,easy, doesn't have to be done in order, but the sequencing would help those not used to daily writing. Simple and thought-provoking.
Dorum
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Good exercise.
Quicksilver Quill
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Become An Idea Machine is a useful book of prompts to help you get started creating 10 ideas a day. This concept originally comes from James Altucher’s excellent book, Choose Yourself. The principle seems sound: strengthen your mind and its capacity to generate ideas by coming up with 10 ideas or more every single day.

I was excited to try this experiment, but devising so many idea prompts on my own seemed daunting to say the least. That’s where Claudia’s book comes in handy: she does the work o
Aurel
Mar 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
There are so many books out there, so I rate them mostly to remind myself which ones I might want to revisit one day, or which ones I got a lot from. Therefore I feel guilty to give this book a 1 star. Because it basically gave me exactly what I want.

If you follow James Altucher, you definitely heard him talk about the importance of writing ten ideas a day. When I read that I was hooked. Not because I really believe that my life "is going to change every 6 months" as he puts it, but simply beca
Andreas
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Having reached #75 I give up.

The book promises to turn you into an idea machine and challenges you to come up with 10 ideas about different topics every day. As we know, the key to learn a new skill is to turn it into a habit so I faithfully generated lists 4-5 times a week.

You can clearly feel the excitement of the author and for a while it was fun to think about the topics that she proposes. "#28: 10 Great titles for Indie type of movies and plot" is a good one, "#20: 10 Ways I can improve m
Liz
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dnf
This book is a little silly, a little gimmicky, and a bit eyeroll-inducing. So why 4/5 stars? The darn book actually did what it advertised. I was in a rut in my life, and this one helped me out of it.

The premise is that every day, you're given a prompt and must come up with 10 ideas that would satisfy the prompt. Some are easy, some are quite difficult. Some reference past prompts. All of them fall in the "things I could do with my life" category.

I am certain that this book led me to write my
Sipho
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
A book about how to come up with ideas, by the ex-wife of hedge fund manager and entrepreneur, James Altucher.

Key Takeaways

Ideas are the currency of life and good ideas buy good experiences.

Come up with 10 ideas a day, which makes the idea muscle stronger.

“The more value you bring to the world with your ideas, the more value you will bring to yourself, your family, and your community”.

Conclusion

The premise of the book is good, but it is filled with too many cliches. The exercises at the end
Karla
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Every day is a new opportunity to create the next "Big Idea". I found this book helpful on so many levels. It opened up my mind to creative thinking. I found myself looking at things in new ways and tackling problems head-on, where before I would simply give up and move on. The best part of using these exercises is allowing yourself to simply write a bunch of stupid stuff just to get it out of the way for the better content to come through. And if you are patient and use the exercises every day ...more
Ruth Charchian
Jam packed with ideas and thought starters. If you think you are a "thinker", think again. What are you thinking about? Altucher, says "ideas are the new currency.". I agree. My own thinking has become far more shallow than I had ever imagined. My brain muscle has become lazy from a lack of exercise. I am less interesting to friends and family. Her book will provide you with many more topics to think about and enrich your life if you are willing to give it a try. I'm working on it.
Jay
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: success, skills, self-help
This book focuses on the thought that you should write down at least ten ideas every day focusing on a different specific theme each day. The bulk of the book is taken up by offering six months of daily themes. If you use it as designed you'll need six months to complete the book.

Obviously, Become An Idea Machine isn't a quick read and it isn't intended as entertainment. It can help you practice the habit of digging deep for ideas and answers, a habit with an enormous potential payoff.
Kelley Taylor
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-read
Perfect when you stare at a blank page and panic

I loved this book: Quick read, reference, and great point of view. I found myself writing even more list ideas riffing off the authors extensive list. Will turn to this daily when I'm searching for just one more list of ten ideas that could benefit myself or others.
Jorge
I nice read For a weekend.
It will help you start creating you own ideas for the new economy based on ideas.

:.............:................
Una agradable lectura para un fin de semana.
Este libro te permitirá comenzar a crear tus propias ideas, para esta nueva economia que esta basada en las ideas. En el conocimiento.
Enrique Mañas
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ideas proposed in the book are great, so are the techniques to achieve them. However, 10% of the book is actually devoted to this aim. The remaining (should I say residual?) 90% is composed of padding and waffle.

Great idea, totally wrong format/structure. Read the initial part and skip the rest.
Marcus Kazmierczak
Sep 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
A good concept on exercising your mind like a muscle to be able to generate ideas. However, I had to put it down when it said by following this book you too can become a billionaire like Mark Zuckerberg. A little too much snake oil.
Dzung Vuong
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of good ideas and suggestions, for examples: 10 Coursera courses you'd like to take b) Your favorites 10 books of all time c) List 100 (yes 100, not 10) things you are grateful for today.
To me, best time to generate ideas is in the early morning.
Larisa
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourites.
It's a great inspirational book to unleash your creativity.
Shenyu
Nov 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Well.. I just expected some introductions and arguments about the methodology of creativity and idea generating, rather than a list.
John van Saders
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Nice set of prompts around topics for generating ideas
  • The Choose Yourself Guide To Wealth
  • Say It with Presentations: How to Design and Deliver Successful Business Presentations
  • Management in 10 Words
  • The Suitcase Entrepreneur
  • The Brand You 50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Yourself from an "Employee" into a Brand That Shouts Distinction, Commitment, and Passion!
  • Say It Like Obama: The Power of Speaking with Purpose and Vision
  • Emily Post's The Etiquette Advantage in Business: Personal Skills for Professional Success
  • The Flip Side: Break Free of the Behaviors That Hold You Back
  • Throwing the Elephant: Zen and the Art of Managing Up
  • Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: Transforming the Buyer/Seller Relationship
  • The 7 Day Startup: You Don't Learn Until You Launch
  • The Steal Like an Artist Journal: A Notebook for Creative Kleptomaniacs
  • Me 2.0: Build a Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success
  • 4 Seconds: All The Time You Need to Stop Counter-Productive Habits and Get the Results You Want
  • The Daily Entrepreneur: 33 Success Habits for Small Business Owners, Freelancers and Aspiring 9-to-5 Escape Artists
  • Business Model You: A One-Page Method for Reinventing Your Career
  • The Aladdin Factor
  • Data Science for Business: What you need to know about data mining and data-analytic thinking
Claudia Azula Altucher is a writer, podcast host, speaker, and teacher of yoga. She is the WSJ bestselling co-author of 'The Power Of No', and author of 'Become an Idea Machine', and '21 Things To Know Before Starting An Ashtanga Yoga Practice'.

She is the host of 'The Yoga Podcast' and co-host of the 'Ask Altucher' Show.

She writes for national media outlets including Thought Catalog, Mantra Yoga +

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $4.99 $1.49
    $4.99 $1.99
  • I Suck at Girls
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems
    $11.99 $3.99
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“The way to have good ideas is to get close to killing yourself. It’s like weightlifting. When you lift slightly more than you can handle, you get stronger. In life, when the gun is to your head, you either figure it out, or you die.” 4 likes
“he wants people who make, say 30,000 dollars a year, to understand that they are not poor. In fact, they ARE the 1% they complain about. As of January of 2013 almost half the world lived on less than $2.5 a day, and 80% of the world lived on less than $10 a day.” 3 likes