Start by marking “Eight Hands Round: A Patchwork Alphabet” as Want to Read:
Eight Hands Round: A Patchwork Alphabet

Eight Hands Round: A Patchwork Alphabet

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
"Paul provides information about pioneer life through speculation about the origins of 26 quilt patterns, one for each letter of the alphabet. The variety of colors and designs makes the quilts themselves the real stars of the book [and] will [encourage] students to develop their own creations in cloth or on paper." —SLJ. Outstanding Books of 1991 (NYT)
Notable 1991 Childre
Published March 15th 1996 by HarperCollins (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Eight Hands Round, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Hands Round

Becky
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
First sentence: Patchwork is pieces of fabric cut into different shapes and sewn together into patterns. During the first one hundred years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence, many women and girls--and even a few men and boys--sewed patchwork.

Premise/plot: It is an alphabet book, but it is an alphabet book for older readers. The goal isn't to teach little ones the alphabet. Each letter of the alphabet shares information about a particular quilt pattern. Information is included
Suzanna Hollinsaid
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdng-350
This book uses patchwork patterns to describe the lives of early settlers in America. It's quite fascinating how they weave the two together and paint a picture of what life could have been like. I would use as part of a social studies unit on early life in America.
Katie Fitzgerald
I've had this book since childhood, but I don't think I'd ever read it until I shared it with Miss Muffet this past week. It's an alphabet book explaining the inspiration behind 26 different quilting patterns. It wasa perfect way to introduce little tidbits of history to a preschooler.
SmarterLilac
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An endearing look at early American life. Cute, well done illustrations. Notable because in this age of High Technology, so much of this information already feels like it describes an alien world to me. How will it look to the children born to my generation?
Alison
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book fascinated me for I am a novice quilter. I loved seeing the different patterns that are used in quilts. What intrigued me more was where they came from. I would like to use this book to teach my students about women history.
Nancy
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alphabet, childrens, craft
I love imaginative books organized by using the ABC’s—it appeals to my sense of order (being a Virgo). This book covers 26 quilt patterns, one for each letter of the alphabet and explains the origins of the designs by describing the activity or occupation on which they’re based.
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: alphabet-books
Each letter features a colorful illustration and an explanation for the reason behind the quilt pattern depicted.
Megan Willis
shapes, translation, pattern
Marianna
May 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
I didn't like the "perhaps xyz created this pattern when" thing. Most quilt patterns are fairly well researched as to their origins and the author really seemed to oversimplify this information.
Toni
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
A charming alphabet book of quilt designs, giving the history behind many traditional patterns.
Michael D.
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This math book uses 26 patchwork quilt patterns, one for each letter of the alphabet, which are accompanied by written descriptions of the patterns.
Eileen
May 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
There are so many blocks, but some have many names. Now which ones would I like to incorporate into a quilt?
Tonya
Dec 01, 2014
Kris Ford
Jul 14, 2014
Jill
rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2015
K.D. Winchester
rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2014
Roshawn Sook
Aug 13, 2016
ANN WHITFORD PAUL, author of 'TWAS THE LATE NIGHT OF CHRISTMAS has always been crazy for Christmas, but overwhelmed by it, too. Afterwards she is worn-out and dreams that someone like Mrs. Saint Nick could help her out with the resulting chaos and mess.

Ann graduated from the University of Wisconsin and Columbia University School of Social Work. She became inspired to write picture books after yea
More about Ann Whitford Paul