Start by marking “The Border” as Want to Read:
The Border

The Border

World Fantasy award-winning, bestselling author Robert McCammon makes a triumphant return to the epic horror and apocalyptic tone reminiscent of his books Swan Song and Stinger in this gripping new novel, The Border, a saga of an Earth devastated by a war between two marauding alien civilizations.

But it is not just the living ships of the monstrous Gorgons or the motion-bl
Published May 2015 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about The Border, please sign up.
Hunter That is for the illustrated, slipcased, limited edition. The Border will also be available in trade hardcover, ebook (in the U.S.), and audiobook form…moreThat is for the illustrated, slipcased, limited edition. The Border will also be available in trade hardcover, ebook (in the U.S.), and audiobook formats.

Hunter(less)

Start your review of The Border
Char
As a HUGE Robert McCammon fan, I was beyond excited when I read that he was writing an epic science-fiction/horror book. (I will probably faint when I finally get the signed copy I ordered from Cemetery Dance.) Overall, The Border did live up to my expectations.

The characters here were all well drawn except, oddly,for the main protagonist, Ethan. I felt that we never got to know him in-depth. (view spoiler)
Jason
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015, e-books
5 Stars

The Border by Robert McCammon is a return for him to the science fiction and horror genre. This book is a cross between his Swan Song, a bit of Stephen Kings The Stand, and War of the Worlds or Tuesday TV's Falling Skies. McCammon wastes no time with a build up of events, rather he drops you right into the already decimated world and provides the why's through stories and conversations as the book progresses.

The Border works because it is done by a master story teller who knows how to wr
Richard
*2.5 Stars*
With The Border, Robert McCammon goes back to his roots! His new novel harkens back to his 80's sci-fi/horror classics like Swan Song and Stinger, and mixes in some War of the Worlds with a story about our Earth becoming a battleground between two hostile alien civilizations and humanity trying to survive in the wake. Although it was enjoyable to an extent, I was disappointed with discovering that I wasn't as into it as I would've expected, given that McCammon is one of my favorite au
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016

The boy who was running ran into the rain.
He came suddenly into its stinging shower. Within seconds it became a small storm of torment, like the fierce prick of a hundred hot needles. He looked back as he ran and saw through the moving haze the tops of mountains explode in the distance. He saw chunks of rock as big as buildings fly into the diseased air, crash back upon the earth and crack into tumbling fragments. Above the mountains flickered the electric blue lightning that put terror into t
Reeda Booke

Right away the story drops you right in the middle of an ongoing war that has two alien races warring over earth that has left our planet destroyed and pockets of survivors barely hanging on their will to survive. The aliens are brutal and the pollution their war is causing is also transforming some humans into the hideous Gray Men. It is up to the main character, Ethan, a young boy who doesn't remember anything about himself prior to finding himself just running for his life, and a ragtag group
Bill
Mar 23, 2015 added it
Well shit. I didn't make it very far with this one. There are aliens and spaceships. Fuck. I hate aliens and spaceships. I tried to stick it out, because....well, because it's McCammon man, but I hate aliens and spaceships almost as much as I hate wizards and dragons. Bummer man. Major bummer. Maybe I will give it another go at another time. Probably not. Bummer. (Did I already say that?)
Bogdan
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The formula of this book is nothing new, but I must say that it kept my interest high enough until the end. And I liked the way that all it`s wrapped up and, also, a high five for the Reverend true ending.
It is a fast read, without a lot of depth (maybe) ( if you `re expecting the prose of King, then go someway else), but still there are some points to be made, and the characters or story are not so bad like others have found them to be.

I`ll give this a four stars rating without any hesitation i
David
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gorgons, Cyphers, Grey Men, Chosen Ones, Bill Pullman
I mean no great disrespect when I say Robert McCammon is kind of a schlocky author. Okay, I guess that's not terribly respectful either, but I've read several of his big potboilers now (Swan Song, Sings the Nightbird, and The Border) and I can see that he tends to use the same tropes to mix and match an epic adventure of good vs. evil in a grimy world, over and over. Swan Song was post-apocalyptic and almost a by-the-numbers rewrite of Stephen King's The Stand, while Sings the Nightbird was a hi ...more
Paul E. Morph
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Tobin Elliott
Well. That wasn't very good, was it?

Look, let's just get this out of the way. If you want to read better versions of this novel, read Swan Song for the apocalytic elements, then Stinger for the really bad SF/alien elements.

McCammon is not a SF author. That's pretty damn obvious. He can be an excellent author when he wants to be. Boy's Life proves it. Unfortunately, lazy, unfocused efforts like this one, or The Five shows how off he can actually be when he's off.

Seriously, there isn't a single c
Chris
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ravaged by a brutal war between two alien invaders, the Gorgans and Cyphers, bent on owning the area of space that Earth occupies, pockets of survivors barely hang on. Mutated humans, dubbed Gray Men, hunt what's left hungering for flesh and blood. But one boy, who was injured during a conflict between the aliens and suffering from amnesia, might know more than even he realizes. Because he's been found by survivors holed up in an apartment complex in Colorado, and as he soon discovers, he might ...more
Randolph
Jun 15, 2015 rated it liked it
11811 (Eleven)
Jul 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Audible will indeed give you a full refund if you listen to 80% of a book and hate it.

Sorry, Charlene.
Mika Lietzén
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
The Border is Robert McCammon's long-anticipated return to the balls-to-the-wall horror of such classics as Swan Song (1987). Unfortunately, the balls are missing, the wall is crumbling and the result is a poor copy of that earlier (far superior) novel.

There's not a whole lot of originality in The Border. The plotline is pretty much lifted wholesale from Swan Song, with a supernaturally gifted youngster leading a ragtag pack of survivors to a US president hiding in a mountain base. But instead o
Nnedi
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly...meh. Couldn't connected with any of the characters except maybe Ethan and...well, no spoilers. Plus it dwelled a little too much in that "Oh, Jesus, the end is nigh, oh Jesus, it's so bad, bad, bad, what are we going to do? This is bad. Look how bad it is. Death, blood, murderous freakish aliens, no hope! This is the end, beautiful friends, blah blah." I listened to this as an audiobook and the reader's dark tone throughout the whooooole novel enhanced this effect.
Swan Song still rem
Dawn
5 Stars-Action packed, suspenseful, and well developed characters!

Two alien races who have been fighting each other for years are now battling over a border of space that runs through Earth. Unfortunately Earth is caught in the crossfire and being destroyed.

A teenage boy who only remembers bits and pieces of his life may be the answer to help save the planet. He is discovering powers within himself which seem to be guiding him along, aiding in his task. He ends up joining former brick mason/part
Megan Baxter
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was...not a good book. In a whole lot of ways. It wasn't so bad as to be unreadable, and thankfully fell into the realm of "so bad it's at least entertaining." That's a very narrow window, and McCammon just about nails it.

Note: The rest of this review has been withheld due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision here.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Justine
I did enjoy this, but it was a little far fetched and a little too philosophical for my taste. Just ok.
Kevin
May 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The Border – Robert McCammon

The Border is a dystopian tale littered with Sci-Fi elements. I know some have pointed to the fact that this novel is a sci-fi book, but in the long run we deal with the end of earth as we know it and how we, as humans struggle to survive. The aliens are merely the means by which the earth is in chaos, much like an infectious disease. The humans have no knowledge of the capabilities of the two attacking races of aliens, they simply know they are there to destroy them,
Hunter
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Robert McCammon's return to SF/horror. I think fans of Swan Song and Stinger will especially dig it.
Karl
May 27, 2015 marked it as to-read
This copy is signed by Robert McCammon.
Pamellia
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All
Recommended to Pamellia by: Noone
Shelves: 2016
Later
Andy Oerman
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is a testament to McCammon’s skill as a storyteller that this book can be so good and yet so far beneath his best efforts.
Banner
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Robert McCammon is a "go to" author on my list. I can always go to him knowing I will enjoy the read. This latest book continues to prove that faith justified.

This book is solid in the science fiction genre. We have aliens that are very scary and far greater technologically advanced. Actually the aliens are not all that interested in earth. We just happen to be the latest border of a very long turf war between two waring species. The story begins at a very hopeless stage for humans. We pretty m
Jason
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of science fiction, post-apocalypse, Mad Max, horror, and possibly Lovecraft lovers.
I took my family to the library a while back and looked around, not expecting to find anything, but hungry for something new and different. I saw “The Border” in the science fiction section (that is shared with horror, I think). The dust jacket provided me the barest of explanations- two alien civilizations fighting over Earth, and the people who are trying to survive in the crossfire. It was enough to pique my interest so I took it home.

SUMMARY
Sometime soon, two alien species (possibly trans-re
Lisa
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert McCammon is one of those authors whose books I either hate with a passion or love to death. I loved his one. The ending was less than stellar, but that was only because I was curious about what became of the guardian. The Gorgons, and Cyphers were a scary bunch, and their sophisticated technology made us humans almost literally the equivalent of ants. Everything has been destroyed, humans are close to extinction, and when we aren't casualties of aliens, then comes nighttime and the raveno ...more
Robjr73
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: robert-mccammon
McCammon and King have always been my go to all time favorite authors. I pretty much have been of the opinion that neither one of them are capable of writing anything that's actually bad. Sure I've read some mediocre Stephen King and some just okay McCammon but never thought I'd see myself give anything less than 3 stars to either of them. Well I was wrong.

The Border excited me initially. Cool cover, cool idea. Sounded like perhaps a mix between two of my other favorite McCammon books Swan Song
Corey
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
2.5 stars. It has its moments, but it never comes close to the epic sweep of Swan Song or the emotional resonance of Boy’s Life.
Janice
Two alien armies fighting over the border (earth) threaten the existence of humankind. I surprised myself and really enjoyed this space opera.
Michael || TheNeverendingTBR
Oh my god, what a phenomenal read this is!

I've never read a bad book by McCammon, he's one of my favourite authors; more people need to be reading his books!

If you're into science fiction/alien invasion stories, you need to get this book and read it!

Loved the characters and I cared for all of them, I'd say this is the best character driven book he's written!

Can't recommend this author enough, he's such a damn fine writer!

Top Rated and would read again! 💫
Robert McCammon: The Border - June 2015 read 23 44 Dec 18, 2015 11:21AM
Horror Aficionados : July 2015 Group Listen-The Border by Robert McCammon 19 99 Jul 24, 2015 03:24PM

• The Conqueror Worms
  • The Night Parade
  • Darkness on the Edge of Town
  • Ballistic Kiss (Sandman Slim, #11)
  • Little Heaven
  • Far Sector (2019-) #8
  • Header
  • FUTU.RE
  • The Sandman (Sandman Audible Original, #1)
  • The Woods Are Dark
  • Warriors (Hell Divers #7)
  • The Trap (The Hunt, #3)
  • If It Bleeds
  • The Prey (The Hunt, #2)
  • Jack's Magic Beans
  • Urban Gothic
  • The Complex
  • Kaz the Minotaur (Dragonlance: Heroes, #4; Heroes II, #1)
Robert Rick McCammon was a full-time horror writer for many years. Among his many popular novels were the classics Boy's Life and Swan Song. After taking a hiatus for his family, he returned to writing with an interest in historical fiction.

The sixth book in his Matthew Corbett historical fiction series, Freedom of the Mask, was published in May 2016.

His next novel, a standalone book called The Li