Start by marking “I Love Guinea Pigs (Read and Wonder Books)” as Want to Read:
I Love Guinea Pigs (Read and Wonder Books)

I Love Guinea Pigs (Read and Wonder Books)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  118 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
"A wonderful celebration of the attributes of guinea pigs... A popular pet and familiar subject is given new vigor and interest through originality, love, and respect." —The Boston Globe

I LOVE GUINEA PIGS is an affectionate guide to the most charming of very small animals. Did you know, for instance, that guinea pigs rarely get sick and love to eat? Or that they love one a
Published June 2nd 1997 by Candlewick Press (first published September 8th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about I Love Guinea Pigs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Love Guinea Pigs

Misha
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Read in its entirety while it was being passed around at the Oly Reads book group. It was adorable. I had an Abyssinian for a few years around the time I was in grad school. Her name was Magda McGee the Pig from Guinea, and she had these black whorls of fur that stuck out like cowlicks all over the place, like she had permanent bedhead. It was awesome. She was totally fearless. She'd march right up to the cats and sniff at them like she was daring them to mess with her. They never did.

Sometimes
Jackie "the Librarian"
Before I came across this book, I did not like guinea pigs. The only ones I'd ever met were squeaky, bitey animals who weren't socialized to like people. It's hard to like animals that bite you when you try to pet them!

Plus, I accidentally lost my cousins' guinea pig when I was 12, so I have guinea pig guilt, too. (If you bring a guinea pig out on in the yard to eat grass, you have to keep an eye on it, or it WILL disappear.)

But this book make me a convert. King-Smith's description of these ador
Kathryn
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Abigail A
Very cute and informative little story about the author's love of guinea pigs! I've never owned guinea pigs myself and, while I always thought they looked kind of cute, never had much interest in them. This book really made me appreciate them! I learned how much they love to converse with one another, that their babies are born with fur (making them extra-cute), and that Guinea pigs even PURR! How cute is that!? If you plan to share this with young/sensitive children, do note that the author tal ...more
Cynthia Egbert
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
I continue to read down my to-read list and I was surprised how much I learned about guinea pigs from this cute children's book. But then again, I love Dick King-Smith's stuff.
Alice Rachel
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cute and instructive for little kids.
Eleanor
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pgce
I wrote this review as part of my PGCE course.

This is a book about Dick King Smith’s love for guinea pigs; it combines a potted history of the pet, animal care tips and the author’s personal recollections of guinea pigs he has known and loved. As a guinea pig lover myself, this book appealed to me immediately. Its illustrations are incredibly cute, charming and evocative. I discussed the book with a few Year 1 pupils during free reading and I found they were all engaged by the issue of guinea pi
Erika
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, nonfiction
We recently adopted two very cute little "piggies." We read a lot of facts on the internet about raising guinea pigs, along with some very stern advice about how to humanely keep the adorably round-bottomed critters. While much of what we read was written by people who surely love and care for their cavies, much of it lacked a palpable sense of love and, quite frankly, the kids were bored to death by the lists and dry descriptions of how to keep these spirited rodents.

Finally, we found Dick Kin
Rena Sherwood
I had a copy of this in the 1990s when I was kept by guinea pigs (can't have them now because of the dogs.) I miss the book and may wind up purchasing a replacement copy some day.

description

This book was quite sad at times, which surprised me since it was aimed for kids. Then again, I keep forgetting how tough kids are. The words are simple and well-chosen, telling the stories of Dick King-Smith's pet piggies (and aborted attempt at keeping pet game fowl). And like me he likes Abyssinians best! (But all pi
Morgan
Sep 13, 2016 added it
Shelves: rdng-350
I Love Guinea Pigs is a nonfiction book. It tells about facts to do with guinea pigs, like what the male and female are called, the different breeds, and where they came from. It also has a personal touch to it which makes it great for kids. The author tells about his own experience with them, even two of them dying.

I like this book a lot because it made facts about an animal I'm not really interested in seem interesting. I think it would be good to show students how cool nonfiction books can be
Jim
Jul 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guinea-pigs
now i want one.
this is King-Smith's lovesong about guinea pigs. Timmy didn't love Lassie as much as King-Smith loves the little rodents. how to care for them, different kinds, how to pick them up etc. should be in every classroom that has one.
give this book to a kid whose parents you want to annoy. i could see a retiring third grade teacher giving this and a one pound bar of chocolate from trader joe's to all the kids on her last day of teaching.
jacky
Jul 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this book while Alicia was looking around the library this morning. If I were to ever get a rodent pet, a guinea pig would be it. They just seem so much cuter and cuddly. I also love the sounds they make. This book was a cute non-fiction book that tells all the general information you would want to know about guinea pigs. The illustrations of the baby ones were super cute.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: guinea-pigs, pets
As the title implies, this is one man's love letter to guinea pigs. It's half how to care for guinea pigs, half reminiscent ramblings of his past guinea pigs. Asher (5 y.o. and Dex 3 y.o.) listened politely to the story, but weren't interested in hearing it a second time.

Nice illustrations - love the cuddly guinea pigs!
Kaye
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
636.4 KING-SMITH
A nonfiction book written in a picture book style. The picture book story line has is beautifully detailed drawings. On the same page with the story, their is another picture with handwritten words that tell a tidbit about pig life. Great for young readers.

Series title: Read and wonder
Beverly
Oct 18, 2010 rated it liked it
This has a lot of great information about guinea pigs in an easy to read non-fiction narrative. Perfect read if there is a guinea pig in your child's classroom.
Alexis Davis
Feb 05, 2013 marked it as to-read
I WANT TOO READ THIS BOOK
Ursula Dubosarsky
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful emotional non-fiction. An all-time favourite of mine.
Zatika
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-bcbkk
I'm learning so much about guinea pigs! And the illustration is adorable.
Shahrun
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So super gorgeous! But then I maybe biased, being a GP owner and lover. The drawings are awesome. I think it's a lovely way to introduce Guineas and their care to young ones.
Hannah
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very nice! Cute illustrations,nice facts and story,and a wonderful read aloud to my brorher and sister
Tim
Dec 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-0-5
If you are not ready to talk to your child about death, reproduction or why they can't have a pet, this book isn't for you. If you are it is informative and very well illustrated. Lovely.
Leila T.
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute enough. Bananas that the author has owned "hundreds" of guinea pigs over the last fifty years. Great illustrations, good information. I thought potatoes would be mentioned.
Jennifer Glahn reck
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have a brand new love for guinea pigs! "One especially nice thing about guinea pigs is that if you make a fuss over them, they become really fond of you." So true, Dick King-Smith!
Matthew Ferguson
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Insect Detective
  • Don't Lick the Dog: Making Friends with Dogs
  • Happy
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • The Philharmonic Gets Dressed
  • Cave Baby
  • Down, Down, Down: A Journey to the Bottom of the Sea
  • Fall is Not Easy
  • Alex the Parrot: No Ordinary Bird: A True Story
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get
More about Dick King-Smith...