Start by marking “Saving Danny” as Want to Read:
Saving Danny

Saving Danny

The fifteenth fostering memoir by Cathy Glass.
Danny was petrified and clung to me in desperation as I carried him to my car. Trapped in his own dark world, he couldn't understand why his parents no longer loved or wanted him, and were sending him away.

While Danny’s parents have everything they could wish for in material terms, they are unable to care for their only child.

Published March 12th 2015 by Harper Element

To ask other readers questions about Saving Danny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving Danny

Hazel Smith
Cathy Glass books are a guilty pleasure of mine and like all her other books this one did not disappoint. She is not an eloquent or even particularly talented writer but for some reason I find her books compelling and usually complete the whole book within a day. The storytelling may be formulaic but I have an incredible amount of respect for all foster carers and always end up crying at points. Already cannot wait for her next book!
Jeanine
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent as always.. I read it straight through as I simply couldn't put it down.
Tarna
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Cathy Glass book that I've read, and I can't wait to catch up on her stories. Saving Danny was touching, charming and inspiring.
Harley
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through a goodreads giveaway.

This was my first Cathy Glass book and I decided to research her before reading and found her story very interesting. I started reading Saving Danny yesterday evening and finished it this morning. I found myself especially intrigued by Danny's story, probably because I have my own experiences with autism and found myself empathising with some of Danny's behaviour. The only thing that annoyed me is that it felt like the word "meticulously" appeared on
Judy Moss
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another heartwarming story from Cathy. Excellent read!
Emy
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, true-story
Cathy Glass has been a foster carer for more than twenty years, and through her books she shares these experiences, and the experiences of the children in her care.

This is the story of Danny, who comes into care under a voluntary care order as his parents cannot cope with his learning difficulties. Danny finds it difficult to communicate, except with his best friend and rabbit, George.

Cathy Glass is not the most technically talented of writers. Her prose is quite bland and sometimes filled with
Webs
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I saw this book, I was compelled to read it. While I was familiar with Cathy Glass to the extent of browsing her books, I had never read one before. I picked this one up, and the moment I read the blurb I decided that I needed to read it. Just from the blurb I realised that it was very likely that Danny, the struggling boy Cathy cared for, was on the autistic spectrum, and wondered how this would be dealt with in the environment of foster care.

I hated Danny's parents for much of the book(vi
Kristen
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Saving Danny was a wind of emotions from the start. My heart was breaking to read that this little boy was put in foster care because his mother wasn't able to cope and his father completely block him from his life for being different. As the story went on, the pieces fit together and I begun to connect the dots. It was a sad situation but without Cathy glass help I don't want to think about what would have became of Danny and his parents. I think what stood out to me what the part where the dad ...more
Ghizlane Eddiba
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danny is a child with special needs. His parents couldn't handle anymore, and could not offer him the required time and patience, they decided to arrange for foster care for him. Danny came to Cathy's house an experienced foster caring expert. She noticed that at the age of 6, he could barely read stories of sample sentences, has mild difficulties expressing himself, and has times of angriness and no cooperation. She and the parents found later on that he is having autism and needs special care. ...more
Alexis Wray
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I have no clue why I decided to read it, but Cathy Glass has a way of intriguing you with every little detail about Danny. One of my favorite parts in this book was towards the end when Danny's father was able to see how Danny communicated with George his rabbit, and how Danny wasn't quite able to communicated with people as well as George, and how much Danny loved George as a best friend; the way Cathy Glass put this scene in perspective for the readers was phenomena ...more
Larissa
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through a good reads give away

Enjoyed this just like I've enjoyed all other books by Cathy Glass, It was again heart warming and emotional.

Saving Danny skips back a few years so anyone wanting to read the books in chronological order you need to read this nearer to the beginning.

well done cathy another great read
Rebekah Gillian
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucy
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do like Cathy Glass' books and this one is not an exception. Glass' style of writing, while not being especially beautiful or eloquent, is quick and easy to read. Glass has a way of making sure you instantly care for the child as soon as they appear and, much harder, she makes you feel sympathy for the family. Reva is a struggling mother who needs help and Glass shows that but doesn't excuse her bad decisions and she especially shows this with Richard. Reva and Richard have their reasons for a ...more
Sarah Kinnard
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a moving story with the happiest ending, I used to read a lot of these books based on true story's but I hadn't read one in a while and I have to say this one moved me so much such a heart wrenching book but with the greatest ending. I hope Danny is doing well now, the way Cathy wrote the book he seemed such a beautiful little boy. I admire Cathy for all she does to help children who need the help she gives them. I'm in awe of her if I'm perfectly honest. My hand goes up to you Cathy your a ...more
Zoe
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cathy Glass is a fantastic social worker but most importantly, an amazing mother. In this book, we meet Danny who has been bought into Cathy’s care when his parents admit that they can’t cope with his challenging behaviour. Danny is autistic so Cathy faced a lot of challenges and overcame them all amazingly. This wasn’t my favourite book of hers - I did find myself skipping a lot of text as this read like more of a self help parenting guide for the most part. Having said that, I can’t deny (once ...more
Allie :-)
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
🌟 Another amazing book as always that I finished in 2 days.
Once you start reading this book you won't want to put it down. having an autistic son myself I can really relate to this book.

Very sad at times but with a happy ending, I like the way Danni’s parents shadowed Cathy looking after him for a better understanding of their son and to learn the best ways to cope with his meltdowns.
Cathy always seems to have the answers/strategies to ensure these children have a happy experience in her care. 🌟
Tom Turner
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been on my to read list for over three years. I'm so glad I read it, I have some knowledge of people on the autistic spectrum, though I'm by no means an expert. Cathy brings her warmth, kindness and understanding to Danny and his parents as she does all of those she works with, and the results she gets are spot on!
Jenny McAteer
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cathy is truly amazing

This story gave such insight into the struggles of a young boy and his beautiful bond with his pet. It was such a moving story and Cathy's ability to connect with him and understand him is truly wonderful. The storyline about Danny's father made me cry and made my heartsing. Truly wonderful read.
Barbara
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Danny is a six year old boy with developmental delays and challenging behaviour, possibly due to autism, whose parents are struggling to cope and have voluntarily put him into care. Cathy is his foster carer, and this is the story of Danny's stay with her. It contains lots of useful tips for caring for children like Danny so that they can reach their full potential.
Elizabeth Ray
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another lovely Cathy Glass book. This one did make Cathy sound absolutely perfect, as some of her stories do. There was good parenting advice intermixed into the story. Cathy takes a little boy called Danny who has autism, as his parents need a break. But soon, she realizes his father may not want him back at all. Cathy works with Danny and his parents toward a happy ending.
Noella Allisen
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad I didn't ditch this book as I was thinking of doing after reading the first 50 pages or so. The writing is not the strongest. The story, however, is. I have to applaud this author, foster mother, wonderful lady, for her generous, big warm heart and what she brought to Danny and his family. For that reason she deserves 4 stars!
Beth
Aug 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, first-reads
I received a free copy of this book in return for an honest review.

I found this book to be frustrating, It felt like exploitation of a child's misfortune and a way for the author to show the world how selfless she is. Came across more self serving than anything.
michelle charlton
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic

Really enjoyed this book very heart warming story i couldn't put this down can't wait to read more of her books
Charlotte
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good
Julie
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely story, wonderful author. If you empathise with special needs children and their families and would find teaching strategies useful, read this. You will then want to read all her othet books!
Andrea Huston
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy listening to Cathy’s books, especially when they have a good ending like this one.
emma bilby
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. Cathy glass is an amazing women
Zeelah
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another heartwrenching tale. Whilst Cathy must be an amazing human she comes across as a wee but Martyristic in this book.
Katie Rowe
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sally Gooding
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heart warming book but also heartbreaking
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Too Hurt to Stay: The True Story of a Troubled Boy’s Desperate Search for a Loving Home
  • The Girl From Yesterday
  • Torn
  • The Girl Who Just Wanted To Be Loved: A damaged little girl and a foster carer who wouldn't give up
  • City Kid
  • Too Young to be a Mum
Cathy Glass is a bestselling British author, freelance writer and foster carer.
Her work is strongly identified with both the True Life Stories and Inspirational Memoirs genres, and she has also written a parenting guide to bringing up children, Happy Kids, and a novel, The Girl in the Mirror, based on a true story.
Glass has worked as a foster career for more than 20 years, during which time she ha
“Boundaries for good behaviour are essential for all children; as well as socializing the child they show them that the parent cares, whatever syndrome or condition the child may have. I knew Reva had developed some strategies” 1 likes