Start by marking “Obsession in Death (In Death #40)” as Want to Read:
Obsession in Death (In Death #40)

Obsession in Death

(In Death #40)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  17,247 ratings  ·  1,476 reviews
A crisp winter morning in New York. In a luxury apartment, the body of a woman lies stretched out on a huge bed. On the wall above, the killer has left a message in bold black ink: FOR LIEUTENANT EVE DALLAS, WITH GREAT ADMIRATION AND UNDERSTANDING.

Eve Dallas is used to unwanted attention. Famous for her high-profile cases and her marriage to billionaire businessman Roarke, she has learnedUNDERSTANDING.

Eve
Published February 10th 2015 by Piatkus (first published January 12th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Obsession in Death, please sign up.
Dottie Swingle I LOVE THIS SERIES. First I collected Paperbacks of this. Then I collected Hardcovers. Now I have all the audiobooks up to "Fantasy in Death". I have…moreI LOVE THIS SERIES. First I collected Paperbacks of this. Then I collected Hardcovers. Now I have all the audiobooks up to "Fantasy in Death". I have listened to them all, in addition to reading every one of them.
I also have collected many of Nora's books.
I too have a book with me where ever I go. This fall one of my daughters alphabetized all my books in "my Library" in the basement but I keep all of the IN Death Series separate. They are special.
(less)
S Phibber There is such a thing as an ARC or Advanced Readers Copy.

There is such a thing as an ARC or Advanced Readers Copy.

As a marketing tool, publishers provide free copies of new titles to booksellers, journalists, other authors, book bloogers and even celebrities.

Such a book is variously referred to as a reader's edition, an advance copy, an advance reading copy, ARC or ARE. It's the book privately released by its publisher before the book is printed for mass distribution.

Readers' editions generally lack the final dust jacket, formatting or binding of the finished product; the text of an advance edition may also differ slightly from the market book, after comments are received from the reading group, or late errors are found in the manuscript. When a celebrity reader or journalist gives an endorsement, that's added to the dust-cover and other promotional items.

Reader books are normally distributed three and six months before the book is officially released to reviewers, bookstores, magazines, and (in some cases) libraries.(less)

·  17,247 ratings  ·  1,476 reviews

Ren Puspita
40 books and...still no sign for THE END
Heh, who cares as long I get my Roarke fix XD
Phrynne
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fortieth book in the In Death series and it is absolutely fantastic. To all those authors out there who cannot maintain their momentum through a mere trilogy - this is how you write a series! The story is as usual stand alone and it is written in the author's usual tight and gripping style. It is much better however if you have read all the previous books and have grown to know and love Eve and Roarke and all the rest of the gang. I loved everything about this book and the ending was ...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
You don’t need me to tell you that a crime series blurbed by Stephen King, Kathy Reichs, David Baldacci and Dennis Lehane is kind of a big deal. A simple glimpse at the cover can reveal all you need to know. But even that simple glimpse isn’t needed in this case – if you’ve somehow managed to miss the hype surrounding J.D. Robb’s (Nora Roberts’) In Death series, it’s safe to conclude that you’ve been living under a pretty big rock.

Obsession in Death is the fortieth book in this series (that’s r
Mo
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 40! I am still as invested in Eve and Roarke as I was in Book 1. Hard to believe, I know.

Eve has become the object of one person’s obsession. Someone who finds her extraordinary, and thinks about her every hour of every day. Who believes the two of them have a special relationship. Who would kill for her — again and again...

“Well now, this must be love. You sharing the biscuits.” “They’re cookies. Biscuits are hot bread you
class="gr-hostedUserImg">
Jonetta
It's the week after Christmas but before the new year and Eve Dallas has a serious fan and self-appointed avenger. There's a special message just for her at the murder scene of a prominent defense attorney. After a second murder with another message to Eve, it's clear she's the object of someone's obsession.

In this story, we not only work to deduce the identity of the killer but the next victim as they're all related to past cases. I enjoyed testing my memory of earlier books and characters. It
Brenda
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Obsession in Death is a re-read for me, and I loved it the second time, just as much as the first! A crazy person obsessed with Lieutenant Eve Dallas who was determined to kill anyone and everyone who had ever crossed her. Each killing signed with “Your true and loyal friend” had Eve, Roarke, Peabody and the whole NYPD team racing against time to find a psychotic killer who wanted Eve’s approval!

The usual antics along with the wry humour that always gets me laughing; the twists and turns
Delia Binder
IT'S COMING NEXT MONTH!!!!!

Eve Dallas, versus The Number One Fan From Hell - yep, you can bet I'll be getting it day&date, can't you?

PS: Thank you for all the LIKEs - but I haven't read anything but this sample posted on the J.D. Robb site. If you didn't know about it already, read it - I think this one's going to seriously challenge Eve...and Roarke, too!

2/11/15:
Just finished it. I give it 4-1/2 stars, and think it's the best J.D. Robb J.D. Robb book No
Allison Brennan
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book in the series since NEW YORK TO DALLAS, in my opinion. I enjoy them all, but some rise above the others like this one.
Jilly
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Finishing this book means I have officially finished my reading goal for 2016. This is a cause for celebration!!

Oh yeah, chocolate milk. Liquid gold...

Okay, so anyway, this book was all about Eve. She has a fan of her work who has decided that the best thing they can do to "help" her is to kill everyone who has treated Eve badly. Why can't I get fans like that? I've already got my list written up for them! Life jus
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Lieutenant Eve Dallas has to deal with a crazed fan that kills for her, will Eve manage to find out and stop the killer before someone close to her gets hurt?

Obsession in Death is the 40th book in the In Death series and the first book I read in this series. I didn't know that J.D. Robb as a pseudonym for Nora Roberts before I got information about this book and I was a bit curious how an author that I associate with romance (albeit with a dash of mystery to them I have read) would be as a crime author. One thing fo
Mary
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always a great read. My favorite series, bar none.
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
5 Fantastic stars !

What a way to start the 2017! This book was just Mag and beyond <3
I loved how all our fav characters showed up and jazzed up this book.
And Roarke..*sign*. Roarke & Eve's chemistry in this read,was off the charts!

The story-line stayed solid,the suspense... interesting.But the ending? Now THAT WAS MAG <3

Here is hoping Robbs next books are just as awesome !
Fran
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This never gets old. Eve and Roarke forever! :)
Julia
Eve Dallas has a new best friend; the only problem is her new best friend is a murderer. The suspect in this book is killing people who (s)he has perceived as having disrespected Eve, and is presenting the crimes as "gifts". There is also a very real danger to Eve's circle of family / friends as the suspect may begin to see those friends as a hindrance to his/her relationship with Eve; after all Eve can only have one true friend.

Robb did a wonderful job allowing the readers to go back over Eve'
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰

Another perfect Eve & Roarke story!
Exciting, suspensy, mysterious, sexy, funny, adorable.
I just love these books!
Jina Bazzar
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always a great read. I've never been disappointed with this series!
Somia
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sooner or later we knew it would happen – she’s married to a hot billionaire and is a kickass cop who has closed some major cases, an obsessed ‘fan’ was sure to sooner or later emerge, to cause trouble. This book starts with Eve’s fan ‘helping’ Eve by killing those that Eve has come across and are in some way corrupt/criminal and/or have a morally questionable outlook on life. This fan feels they share an intense and all-consuming friendship with Eve, a bond Eve has with no one else – even the d ...more
Brenda
The days between Christmas and New Year in New York were cold, crisp and icy – the luxury apartment where the body of a high profile lawyer lay stretched out on her bed was not much warmer. But the message that the killer had left for Lieutenant Eve Dallas was chilling; and signed off “YOUR TRUE AND LOYAL FRIEND…”

It seemed that Eve had an admirer; someone who was convinced they could get rid of those who hadn’t respected Eve, hadn’t treated her right – Eve was tied to the laws of justice but th
Lori Twichell
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
For Eve Dallas’ 40th outing (yes, that’s four-zero), J.D. Robb has created a story that does more than just introduce a murder to solve. Woven throughout the bodies, the evidence, and the investigation, we find out how far Eve has come through the course of not just her career, but her life. In recent outings, we’ve seen more of what Eve’s past has been like. But now, as she peels back the layers of this case, Eve (and we along with her) begins to realize how much her life has changed. Though sh ...more
Shawna
5 stars - Futuristic/Crime/Romantic Suspense/Science Fiction/Mystery

40 books and I’m still in total awe with this series and just as Obsessed with Roarke and Eve and the gang as ever!

(view spoiler) ...more
Tori
Obsession in Death marks the 40th installment of the incredible world and dynamic duo that Robb introduced fans to back in 1995. Still going strong as ever, Robb has turned our lovely Eve from a lonely insecure woman to a woman rich in friends and love. With a gorgeous husband away at her side and a rewarding career that has catapulted her into celebrity status, she now faces the greatest challenge ever-her very own stalker who is eliminating anyone who stands between them and Eve. Fabulous char ...more
Ann Lou
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We have another winner here.  I have so much love for this series and its characters.  Eve who is tough as nails.  Ass kicker.  Bad ass but is creep out by cows (hilarious)  And she has a way with metaphors.  My ultimate girl crush.

Okay, okay, back to the story.  A crazy and obsessed fan of Eve is bent on killing the people who he/she perceives offended and disrespected Eve.  But the killer turned to Eve's close friends and Roarke as targets thinking Eve can't see him/her when other people are
Diane
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are so many reasons why I really enjoyed this book. Not knowing who the killer was until very late in the book, red herrings tossed about, references to cases gone by, and to characters from previous cases/books. A little bit of bantering and a few "Eveisms" :) A little more is revealed about Summerset's past life, and some fun time with little Bella!

This book was well worth the re-read, I had forgotten who the bad guy was. I highly recommend this book to all J.D. Robb fans and
Kathy Davie
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fortieth in the In Death romantic suspense series and revolving around Lieutenant Eve Dallas.

My Take
I do adore Robb's In Death series and not all of her stories come up to her usual standard. Obsession in Death is one of those. Oh, the writing is well done, but there's a flatness to the story, although it is a step above going through the motions.

I can understand someone being fed up with the legal system and how many people get shafted by it. Particularly the victims! And yet, our/>My
Lucy Dosch
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even after 40 novels and a dozen novellas, I have to say this series is still absolutely amazing! She always brings something new to the series both in character development and story line. I couldn’t stop reading Obsession. It was a walk down memory lane for series fans but it could still work as a stand alone or intro to the series for newcomers.
I know it is intimidating to look at a series that includes 40 novels. Everyone thinks, I can’t start in so late in a series. As an avid reader
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

OBSESSION IN DEATH hits the fabulous fortieth installment in the still strong Romantic Suspense series. J.D. Robb has made Eve Dallas into a celebrity. She’s well-known and respected for her work, but also for her status and marriage to hubby, Roarke. With this brings on a lot of attention, both the good and the bad kind. And unfortunately, someone is killing people off whom they believe have done Eve wrong in some way.

Killing her enemies isn’t the best way to become Eve’s friend, but it is a good way of
Carol
If you are a fan of ROARKE, Eve and the rest of the futuristic squad, you won't be disappointed in this 40th edition of the "In Death" series that ends ........with a bang!

While Obsession In Death is a winner and one of my very favorites.......would really, really like to see lots more ROARKE in #41!!!

Haley
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this book.

Before she realized her temper snapped, Eve slapped her hands on the desk, hard enough to make it shudder. "I was ten years on the job before I set eyes on him. You think it's about money for me? You think it's about money for any cop worth the age? You're a fucking disgrace."

Kjen
Have book hangover after reading this...nothing else seems to suit...review to follow;)

Re-read in prep for Devoted In Death. Love this book...the end is freaking amazing.
Cyndi
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Today is Nora Roberts' birthday and I must let you in on something important...She's a magician. She must be because that's the only explanation how a writer can turn out so many books without getting repetitive.
In this book a fan of Eve's has become obsessed with her so everyone who has ever given her a hard time must die. (Be careful, Somerset)
There are a lot of characters from past books brought forward. These books are so hard to put down!
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Obsession In Death (Sept. 2015) - Spoiler Zone 201 54 Feb 06, 2017 01:58AM
J.D. Robb : Obsession in Death (Spoiler Zone) 287 225 Jan 17, 2017 08:47AM
Around the Year i...: Obsession in Death, by J.D. Robb 2 14 Feb 06, 2016 04:18PM
2017 Reading Chal...: Obsession in Death (In Death #40) 1 16 Feb 22, 2015 09:51AM

• Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • Festive in Death: by JD Robb | Summary & Analysis
  • Clone Hunter (Clone Rebellion Chronicles)
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Ghost Hunters, #11)
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Review
  • Pride and Modern Prejudice
  • Innocent Prey (Brown and De Luca, #3)
  • Obsession (Southern Comfort, #5)
  • Guilty as Sin (Dead Wrong, #4)
  • Alien Research (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #8)
  • Striking Distance (I-Team, #6)
  • The Collector
  • The Boy with the Painful Tattoo (Holmes & Moriarity, #3)
  • Starry Knight (City Knight #3)
  • www.1939.com.pl (www, #1)
  • Afterimage (In the Company of Shadows, #2)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th entry in ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“I'm programming us a couple of spinach smoothies"

"I'll pass. For the rest of my natural life."

"Just what you need," he insisted, tapped buttons manually. And came out with two cups of coffee.”
14 likes