Start by marking “The Pirate Code (Hook's Revenge, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Pirate Code (Hook's Revenge, #2)

The Pirate Code

(Hook's Revenge #2)

Fresh off a fearsome encounter with the Neverland crocodile, Jocelyn Hook decides the most practical plan is to hunt down her father's famous fortune. After all, she'll need the gold to fund her adventuring in the future. (And luckily, Hook left her the map.)

But the map proves to be a bit harder to crack than Jocelyn had hoped, and she's convinced that the horrible Peter P
Published September 15th 2015 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Pirate Code, please sign up.
Heidi Schulz Sorry I didn't see this sooner! Only these two are currently planned, though I do have thoughts about a possible third, perhaps someday. In the…moreSorry I didn't see this sooner! Only these two are currently planned, though I do have thoughts about a possible third, perhaps someday. In the meantime, I'm working on other stories. Thanks for asking! (less)
Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert  BeattyThe Sword of Summer by Rick RiordanFish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly HuntThe Last Ever After by Soman ChainaniMark of the Thief by Jennifer A. Nielsen
Middle Grade Novels of 2015
584 books — 1,092 voters
Peter Pan by J.M. BarriePeter and the Starcatchers by Dave BarryTiger Lily by Jodi Lynn AndersonPeter and the Shadow Thieves by Dave BarryPeter and the Secret of Rundoon by Dave Barry
Peter Pan
142 books — 204 voters

More lists with this book...

Heidi Schulz
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Is it bad form to rate your own books? I'm doing it away. I do what I want.

GR says five stars means "It was amazing." Well, that's true. I'm amazed with how Jocelyn's adventure unfolded, how her relationships changed, and frankly, that this story came together in the end. Sometimes writing feels like a miracle.

This book, it was HARD to write. Really hard. For many drafts I wasn't sure if I would fall in love with it, so when I did—and fell hard—it was all the sweeter.

"It was amazing" sounds ab
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
This was a good middle grade read. I think if the cover was less cartoony, it might sell better - especially if the target audience is middle grade girls. It would make a good book to read together as a family at night.

I didn't read the first book in the series, but this does a decent job as a stand alone. The book is written as though someone is telling a child reader the story. He is snarky and acts like an old cranky pirate. His/(her?)asides tend to pop up at the "suspenseful" moments.

There a
Debby

When I read Hook's Revenge last year, I had practically no expectations and got one of my favorite books of 2014. So to say that I was excited for the sequel would be a bit of an understatement. The Pirate Code is a brilliant follow-up to Hook's Revenge, cementing this as one of my favorite middle grade series of all time.

The Pirate Code has everything I love most about middle grade books. Jocelyn continues being awesome and adorable. This little girl takes charge of a pirate ship of ad
Nicole
As seen on The Quiet Concert

Reading Hook’s Revenge might have been the best decision I ever made. At the time, I didn’t really give Middle Grade a chance but I saw some friends sharing quotes from the book on Goodreads and it sounded so much like a ME book that I found a copy and started reading it almost immediately. And OMG it was one of the most entertaining books I have EVER read. Naturally, the sequel was then at the top of my 2015 most wanted list. And I am happy to report that it was ever
Rachel Patrick
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review (and others) can be seen in all its properly formatted glory on my blog Beauty and the Bookshelf.

A solid 4 star read (though I feel like it should maybe be a bit higher) with two hooks up.

I have such a soft spot for Peter Pan retellings. It's not even my favorite fairy tale--I mean, seriously, my blog is called Beauty and the Bookshelf, not Second Shelf to the Right. But there's something about stories based on that story that just pull me in like a pirate to treasure (or rum). Heidi
Rebecca Petruck
I could never do the narrator justice in an attempt to imitate his biting wit and droll humor in writing this review--he said so himself. So I'll simply say this book is SO. MUCH. FUN. The humor and one-liners and fantastical details of Neverland are just as good (dare I say, better?) as in HOOK'S REVENGE. And, as in the previous book, this one is full of heart as well. The girl characters are fantastic--fun, powerful, smart, and generally full of awesome. And Jocelyn's friendship with new girl ...more
Hannah
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really did enjoy both this and the book that preceeded it. I liked the MC quite a bit and was rather invested in Evie and James. Plus, Meriweather amuses me.

If the author decides to write a third book I will definitely be reading it
Pop Bop
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Rambunctious and Breezy

This is an odd but oddly appealing book. Our heroine is Jocelyn Hook, daughter of the Captain Hook of Peter Pan fame. She is now captain of her own ship, has avenged her family honor against the Neverland crocodile, and is on a quest to find her father's legendary treasure.

Part of the odd feeling is that Hook is now a hero, his crew, (Smee and the gang), is now Jocelyn's crew, and the good guys and bad guys are a bit upside down. That's not that new, I guess. There have be
Diamond
Review also featurured on my blog, Diamond's Reads

This is a book I started reading the ebook but I just couldn't handle the way the illustrations were and the formatting so I decided I had to just preorder it and then I put it aside and waited for my copy to come (which it did because it was like a day before it came out).

Especially because I had the eARC book I felt like I needed to physically own both. They're such adorable books, really. The ebook form just doesn't give you the s
Gina Denny
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how to write this review without fangirling all over the place, so instead of flailing about how much cool stuff is in this book (a treasure avalanche! a real avalanche! fairy-dust-related codes!) I'm going to tell you how much I enjoyed reading this book with my kid.

My oldest is 9 years old. I still read to him at night, even though he's perfectly capable of reading novels on his own.

At the end of EVERY chapter, he was begging for more, and more than once I obliged because the st
Colten Hibbs
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It would be an understatement to say this book is "charming". It is an expertly crafted adventure in one of the most beloved fantasy lands of all time.
The voice of the narrator (whose identity I am almost certain of) not only lends Jocelyn's continued story humor, but also weight.
It has the feel of a middle-grade fantasy classic without taking itself too seriously.
The plot moves quickly and effortlessly, and shirks predictability. There were a couple of places I thought I had what was going to
L. Chase
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
MARRRRRRRRVELOUS!

I didn't think I could like the sequel as much as the first... but I loved it EVEN MORE! This book has all the elements that made the first book so special: adventure, action, silly pirates, a cantankerous narrator, and humor in spades. Plus, it has the added bonus of: more amazingly kick-butt female characters (Tiger Lily and Evie), a scary villain with sharks' teeth, wonderful world-building of Neverland's weird time-sphere, and a heart-wrenching internal conflict involving a
N.N. Light
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've loved the Peter Pan/Hook stories ever since I was little. My mother thought I wanted to be Tinkerbell but in reality I wanted to be a pirate. Pirating seemed much more fun than flying around.

I read this book totally unaware of book one or what it was about. I liked the blurb and decided to request it from the publisher. Boy, am I glad I did! I have only a few words for you:

Run to your favorite retailer and pick up this book RIGHT NOW!!!

It's a fast-paced adventure that every age will adore.
Tara
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, middle-grade
The Pirate Code is magnificent--the perfect combination of hilariousness, cleverness, and heart. There's a new character in this book that I absolutely adored. In fact, overall, I think that I loved this sequel even more than the first book in the series. Hat's off to Heidi Schulz for sucking me into her version of Neverland all over again. I won't soon forget my time there.
Jon Dayton
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The whole family has been aching to return to the Neverland and now what a ride! All the joy and wonder of a childhood adventure in a fairy tale mixed with gritty, emotional struggles not seen often enough in books for young readers. May the series continue to grow and take its rightful place in the pantheon of great works for families to read together!
Eve Nicholson
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again Ms. Heidi Schulz hits the spot. I love her ability to draw in her readers (especially the reluctant ones). She is fun and wise and everything in between. Reading The Pirate Code was a joy! READ IT! I don't care how old you are.
Alexa
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
FIRST THOUGHTS: What an incredibly delightful follow-up to Hook's Revenge! I thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with Jocelyn and the crew again as they embarked on a new adventure. There are many exciting twists and unexpected turns, and I just really had fun reading this!
Mary
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth-8-12, adventure
Cute story! My kids (12, 11, 9) and I all enjoyed reading this!
Daniel
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.0 of 5

I'll admit right from the start that I was really disappointed when the rights to J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan finally expired and suddenly there were a lot (in my opinion) of books set in the Pan universe. There are some stories that lend themselves to further adventures with additional characters and there are other stories that should probably just remain 'sacred' and left alone.

So why did I request and read this book? The
Angie
Jocelyn Hook is back and looking for her father's treasure. She has the map but not the key to decoding it. Captain Krueger is hot on her trail also after the treasure. Jocelyn decides they need to find the Jolly Roger in order to break the code. To do that they need Peter Pan's help. So they kidnap his new "mother" Evie. Turns out Evie is not just any 14 year old girl. She is Jocelyn's very own mother and she is having the time of her life in Neverland. Jocelyn has to find a way to convince Evi ...more
Priscilla
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, even more than the first one actually. It read so much more like an adventure book, and I loved that. As soon as the treasure hunt began, it kept me on the edge of my seat.

I was glad to see Jocelyn evolve and grow up, how she interacted with Evie and Roger... Aaaah Roger, sweet, sweet Roger. I know it's middle grade but my ship will definitely sail, we just won't be there to see it (alas)(unless the author planned a book 3 but I don't think so).

The narrator was as ar
Samuel Valentino
A good sequel, one with plenty of plot twists and surprises. The only thing that bothers me is the main characters desire to be a pirate, without robbing ships. That seems like wanting to be a baseball player but not swing a bat. True, pirates are murderers and robbers, and they certainly aren't role models, but when the whole character is set up to be Hook's daughter and fed up with polite society, you'd think she'd have SOME inclination to piracy. The pirate life is not all buried treasure, an ...more
Anastasia Bolinder
Just like the first book this one captured me and maybe it's because my own mother passed just a few months back but this story holds deep in my heart as one of the second best books around with the first being, well in first.

I love the story, characters and theme.

If you have not read this, I beg you and plead for you to do so.
Amanda Wilcox
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was hilarious and full of great adventures! Evie was my daughter's favorite character. We can't wait for the next adventure in Jocelyn's future as admiral. We definitely recommend reading this and the first one!!! Don't miss out!
Nancy
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Part of me wants to hear the
story of the narrator.
He has a delightful Addams Family
feel to him
Lauren
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a fun read! Lots of snarky humor. I bet with a good narrator it would be an excellent audio book.
Clara
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this book was awesome wish there was a third book
Karissa
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-2017
Not as all-consuming as the first book, but still a cute read.

Jocelyn Hook has defeated the crocodile. Now she has a map to her father's treasure she must decipher with the help of her friend Roger. In order to solve the mystery of the map, Jocelyn must employ the help of that annoying Peter Pan. Pan infuriates her so, Jocelyn decides to kidnap the girl he has brought to Neverland to be the Lost Boys' mother. But in a twisted turn of events, the girl is Jocelyn's own mother! Just the 15 year ol
Brenda
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley
Originally published at Log Cabin Library

I really adore re-tellings of classic stories and thought Hook's Revenge was utterly delightful. Jocelyn was both willful, tomboyish, stubborn, but also enduring and adorable. She had some self doubts, mostly because she really wanted to live up to the Hook name, but also had such an adventuress spirit. One that took her and Roger on an adventure that led her to vanquish the crocodile, recover her father's hook and a key to a locked box that would lead to
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Two Editions Into One 10 40 Jan 20, 2015 07:01PM

• The Stars of Summer (All Four Stars, #2)
  • At Your Service
  • Kat Greene Comes Clean
  • There Will Be Bears
  • Into the Firestorm: A Novel of San Francisco, 1906
  • Fenway and Hattie (Fenway and Hattie, #1)
  • Searching for Super (Almost Super, #2)
  • I Am Drums
  • The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher
  • The Only Thing Worse Than Witches
  • Vilonia Beebe Takes Charge
  • This Is Just a Test
  • Princess Juniper of the Hourglass (Princess Juniper #1)
  • Winnie's Great War
  • The Lost Planet (Chase Garrety #1)
  • Wonderland
  • Buried Sunlight: How Fossil Fuels Have Changed the Earth
  • By the Grace of Todd
NYT bestselling author Heidi Schulzlies to children for fun and profit. She is the author of Hook's Revenge, Hook's Revenge: The Pirate Code, and Giraffes Ruin Everything. Heidi lives in Oregon with her husband, their teen daughter, a terrible little dog, and dozens of dust bunnies.

Hook's Revenge (2 books)
  • Hook's Revenge (Hook's Revenge, #1)
“Decide what you want. Believe you can have it. Don't let anything get in your way.” 11 likes
“The thing about friends is, you never know when you might need them. It's always best to keep them imprisoned nearby.” 5 likes