Start by marking “A Whole New World” as Want to Read:
A Whole New World

A Whole New World

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  11,819 ratings  ·  2,135 reviews
What if Jafar was the first one to summon the Genie?

When Jafar steals the Genie’s lamp, he uses his first two wishes to become sultan and the most powerful sorcerer in the world. Agrabah lives in fear, waiting for his third and final wish.To stop the power-mad ruler, Aladdin and the deposed Princess Jasmine must unite the people of Agrabah in rebellion. But soon their fi
Hardcover, Twisted Tales, #1, 376 pages
Published September 1st 2015 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about A Whole New World, please sign up.
Meredith If you enjoyed Isle of the Lost, you'll definitely love this one. I found IotL to be very juvenile, and while this book is obviously more middle-grade…moreIf you enjoyed Isle of the Lost, you'll definitely love this one. I found IotL to be very juvenile, and while this book is obviously more middle-grade, it's more poetic and entertaining than it.(less)
Liz well personally I haven't read Mockingjay so can't judge but it is a much much darker and more gruesome tale then Aladdin.

·  11,819 ratings  ·  2,135 reviews

Start your review of A Whole New World
Emily May
Feb 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
A Whole New World, contrary to what I initially believed, is not really a retelling. Instead, it's more of a fan fiction that recreates the Disney film for the first approx. 25% - down to copying the exact dialogue in parts - but then changes a single element of the plot to spin the story in a new direction.

Being a fan of the Disney movie, I found myself saying some of the lines before the characters. And, the small prologue aside, we once again meet Aladdin in the market when he is stealing br
Cristina Monica
What if it were Jafar who summoned the genie? What if he became the new sultan, was granted a great power no one else could surpass and took complete control of the city of Agrabah?

Can you recognize your dearly loved fairy tale in this? I couldn’t. Certainly, the author’s purpose was to twist the story we all know about and give us a different version of it, a darker one. And it was. Darker, that is. I don’t recall gobs of ‘‘happy’’ scenes. When there were some, they were mostly featuring Aladdi
Natalie Monroe

I deleted my pre-review so you can't see, but I was super excited for A Whole New World. I put a gif with Aladdin throwing money and everything. I was ready to love it.

And it crushed that hope. Crushed it like Beyonce crushed at the VMAs.

Right up to 20%, practically one-fifth of the book, it was a near play-by-play replica of the Disney movie. Was this supposed to be an ad for the Disney movie?
megs_bookrack

A Whole New World is the first book in Disney Books Twisted Tales series.

I have always loved the Disney animated version of Aladdin's story so was pretty hyped when I found out this book was an actual thing.

The first portion of the book is a fairly strict novelization of the movie.

Then...

The twist!

Aladdin doesn't awaken the genie, Jaraf does! The consequences of this one change, as you can imagine, are not good.

The second half really picks up with Aladdin, Jasmine and friends teaming up to de
Faye, la Patata
What a disappointment this book turned out to be.

You know, when I requested for this book, I did it because I was really, really expecting a Disney movie retelling (wait, is that even allowed? Isn't there supposed to be some copyright thingy about modifying a well-known commercial masterpiece into something else? Can some lawyer clarify this for me, please?!) that would literally bring me a whole new world. You see, there is something that books can do better than movies - one of them is charact
Rose
Pre-read: Man, I want to read this so badly that it's not even funny.

"What if Jafar were the first one to summon the Genie", you say?

(note: this pre-review has no affiliation with Disney or this book, but I'm just entirely speculating)

*coughs*

Iago: Ooh, ooh, ooh! I know, lemme answer this one. PLEASE, I am BEGGING you.

Aladdin: (rubs the back of his neck) I don't think I wanna know the answer to this question...or Iago's answer either.

Iago: Come ON! I know this one! I'm raising my wing and getti
Francesca
My actual rating is 3.5 stars but I rounded up to 4 for a few reasons.

1. Because of how much I enjoyed reading it. Is it a masterpiece of literature? No. But do you know what it is? FUN!

description

2. Because it has an insane amount of bad ratings and reviews. Seriously. Most of the other reviews seem to feel like this about the book:

description

which is fair enough. It's certainly not going to appeal to everyone. However, it is incredibly rare that I am on the side of liking something that everyone else seems to hat
Ashley
May 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: e-arc, arc, dnf
DNF at 49%

The first 25% was EXACTLY like the movie—frame by frame, line by line. It's like someone sat there watching the movie describing EVERY scene to me and regurgitating EVERY line of dialogue.

I get that this was an Aladdin retelling, but couldn't there have been some more variance? Yeesh.

At 25% things finally branch off into a totally new direction (that "what if" factor). But it didn't get any better...

* The characters were LITERALLY cardboard. Zero passion, zero development, zero everyth
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 2.5/5 stars.

This is the first instalment in a series of Disney retellings, penned by Liz Braswell. A Whole New World is the story of what would have happened to Aladdin if he were not the one to lay his hands on the magical lamp and acquire the power of the genie.

This, true to its design, had a true Disney feel to it. I'm not sure if I could really appreciate the comical cheesiness, that Disney does so well, in the written format, however. I grew accustomed to this style of penmans
Sh3lly
May 02, 2015 marked it as wish-list
Shelves: added-2015-tbr
Going through my tbr shelf and trying to weed some stuff out. This has a 3.35 avg rating??? Interesting. Apparently, it's a pretty literal re-telling of the Disney cartoon for at least the first part of the book. Seeing as how Aladdin is one I haven't seen all that much, I'll still try this one out.

Original post:

Rejected by Netgalley! :(

Guess I won't be reading this anytime soon. Maybe if it ever gets to my library one day.
Selene
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you NetGalley and Disney Press for the advanced reading copy of A Whole New World by Liz Braswell. I can't wait to start this book and hope that I enjoy it after all those low reviews!

The first book in A Twisted Tale trilogy is a dark rendition of Aladdin. This story is about Jafar who steals a genie lamp. He uses his first two wishes to become sultan of Agrabah and the most powerful sorcerer in the world. The citizens of Agr
Stephanie (Bookfever)
I didn't like A Whole New World at all. I'll even go so far as to say that it's one of the worst books I have read this year so far. It really pains me to say so but this book was really a disappointment.

A huge part of this book was just like the movie. Maybe that isn't so bad but I was just so bored by it. Once the author started twisting the story it was less predictable but equally boring to me. The thing I disliked the most was the writing. It wasn't good at all. It was way too colorless and
Frankie Lovely
Apr 17, 2017 marked it as dnf
DNF at 37%

I will rant later ....

but just know ....

that I don't DNF lightly ... and yet here we are.
Hannah
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the book 10YO Hannah has been begging for. If you were fans of Disney's Aladdin movie, you're going to LOVE this book.
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
Feb 09, 2015 marked it as lost-interest
"Welcome to a new YA series that reimagines classic Disney stories in surprising new ways."

Please, give it to me.
☣Lynn☣
After read:

This just proves that something is wrong with me. I really liked this one, a book that EVERYONE hates. And I do mean EVERYONE. I can't even find a four or even a three star review in the sea of one and two stars. I totally get why people hated this. Hell, I'd hate the fuck outa this if I read it last year. I'm trying not to be so picky and critical anymore. It's no fun picking out every fucking thing that bugs you while you read.

Anyway...I think what bugged most people was that for t
Thibaut Nicodème
Mar 30, 2015 marked it as potential-snark
Half of my interest is just jumping on the bandwagon.

The other half is because of the series title.

I grew up watching the Aladdin cartoon, it’s still one of my favourite Disney movies and I absolutely adore Robin Williams as the genie. Then last year I went to see the Aladdin musical with friends and I walked out of the theatre in the mood for Aladdin in book form, I knew A Whole New World was a twisted version of the story and it sounded like it would hit the spot perfectly so I couldn’t wait to dive in.

The beginning of this book follows the movie pretty much word for word, apart from a litt
Alyssa

Publication Date: September 1, 2015
Rating: 2 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

Welcome to a new YA series that reimagines classic Disney stories in surprising new ways. Each book asks the question: What if one key moment from a familiar Disney film was changed? This dark and daring version of Aladdin twists the original story with th
Katie.dorny
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I was so excited to start this book because I loved previous Disney novelisations I had read. This one was crap. Genuinely so disappointed.

It just didn’t have any oomph in it..does that make sense? It told a story that could have been amazing and twisted and shocking but instead it was just so incredibly lacklustre.

The characters were never really rounded out into believable people. The story was just this happened, then this, then this.

The beginning was the best part as it followed the movie.

T
Cora Tea Party Princess
Apr 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: fans of Aladdin
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at 55%.

Honestly? I hated the film. Absolutely hated Aladdin, the little thieving... Ahem. But I'll give this a chance. Twisting the story like the blurb promises? Sounds awesome.

Only it wasn't.

For a start, the first quarter of the story is exactly like that bloody film. EXACTLY LIKE IT. If I wanted to read fanfiction, I head on over to some fanfic site.

This book just grated on me.

I didn't like the tone, I didn't like the characters and I absolutely did not enjoy reading it.

Such a shame :(

But
Colleen Houck
The beginning starts off in a very similar fashion to the film. It was so close, it was like I was reading the screenplay, but then it veered sharply right after the Cave of Wonders. This is a much blacker, much more dangerous Jafar. If you thought he was creepy in the Disney movie you'd better prepare yourself. I liked seeing a more mature Aladdin and Jasmine but its also sad in a way. This book brings being a Street Rat into sharp focus and its not all singing and making buffoons of the soldie ...more
Cody
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, arc, cover-love
“A Street Rat becomes a leader. A princess becomes a revolutionary. And readers will never look at the story of Aladdin in the same way again…”

That is if you haven’t seen the Disney movie.

So we're given a character role reversal in which Jafar is the first to summon the genie however the whole scenario leading up to this moment is virtually the same; Aladdin is tricked into retrieving the lamp by Jafar (disguised as an old beggar) which is located in a stone tiger cave in the desert.

Jafar is pre
Vicky
O.O

Jafar steals the Genie’s lamp.
A Street Rat becomes a leader.
A princess becomes a revolutionary.

WANT!
Sophia Sardothien
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-review
Thank you Netgalley and Disney press for sending me this book in exchange of an honest review

Personally I can't really get through this book... The narration was a bit immature for me.

Star Rating System:
5 stars: LOVE LOVE LOVE The book is perfect
4 stars: LIKE LOVE LIKE The book is amazing but has it's flaws
3 stars: OKAY LIKE OKAY The book is interesting enough to read but did not love it
2 stars: NAH OKAY NAH The book is boring but manage to read it
1 stars: NAH NAH NAH The book is poor did not
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages read: 25

Yeah, no. I'm going to spend my time on better stuff than this.

A Whole New World is basically a novelization of the animated Aladdin. If I want to watch Aladdin, I'll just watch Aladdin. I come to retellings for something new. I know, I know, Jafar's going to get the lamp first, and maybe something original will happen that. I can't vouch for that obviously.

What I can say is that, in the chapters I read, the characters are flatter than the animated characters on my tv. I get the fe
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

I don't know for you, but back when I was a kid Aladdin was a huge hit. It brought us a piece of orient that for me, till then, was an unknown part of the world. Now years later I got familiar with it and while I hoped that A Whole New World would add more to my knowledge of it, sadly I cannot say it happened.

What the blurb promises you is a dark version of Aladdin and it certainly delivers. This is much, much darker version of it. There still is Aladdin an
♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)
I want to read this so bad! Aladdin was my life when I was a kid!!

Genie, I wish NetGalley would approve my request!

UPDATE:
Well, I didn't get accepted by Netgalley, but this book also doesn't have great reviews by the people who did read it. Guess I'm lucky that Disney didn't give me a copy, but I'm still kind of bummed. I really wanted to read a good Aladdin retelling. :(

Erica Paré
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was not sure what to think when I began reading this book. The new movie had came out not long ago and they were pretty similar. This book however, is very different than those two. I really enjoyed how there were so many twists compared to the original. The main characters are very similar in their personalities and positions though. The further development of hte street rat population/ Aladdin's friends was nice. They received more credit, as they deserve in this book. The ending though made ...more
West Polk SRP 202...: A Whole New World 1 1 May 28, 2020 01:10PM
Goodreads Librari...: Request to create series for "Twisted Tale" 2 11 May 23, 2020 07:17AM
Memory Hack 1 1 May 21, 2020 05:33AM
Goodreads Librari...: Twisted Tales Series 2 17 May 12, 2020 11:56AM
Goodreads Librari...: New Series?/Add to Series 4 23 Oct 17, 2019 03:04PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Twisted Tales Series by Liz Brazwell-- Restarting September 6th 2018 81 71 Sep 21, 2018 02:48AM

• Reflection
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • Conceal, Don't Feel
  • So This is Love
  • Mother Knows Best: A Tale of the Old Witch
  • Mistress of All Evil: A Tale of the Dark Fairy (Villains #4)
  • Poor Unfortunate Soul: A Tale of the Sea Witch
  • The Odd Sisters: A Tale of the Three Witches (Villains #6)
  • Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen
  • The Beast Within: A Tale of Beauty's Prince (Villains, #2)
  • Frozen 2: Forest of Shadows
  • Beauty and the Beast: Lost in a Book
  • Aladdin: Far from Agrabah
  • Heart of the Moors: An Original Maleficent: Mistress of Evil Novel
  • Z dala od siebie. Mroczna baśń
  • Disney Aladdin
  • Elena (Phoenix Ashes #0.5)
After the sort of introverted childhood you would expect from a writer, Liz earned a degree in Egyptology at Brown University and then promptly spent the next ten years producing video games. Finally she caved into fate and wrote Snow and Rx under the name Tracy Lynn, followed by The Nine Lives of Chloe King series under her real name, because by then the assassins hunting her were all dead. She a ...more

News & Interviews

“I cannot expect people to do for me what I cannot.” 7 likes
“Agrabah is yours."
"No," Jasmine said, looking out at the sea of guild leaders, and the thieves, and the genie, and all the people of her city.
"Agrabah is ours.”