Start by marking “Stitching Snow” as Want to Read:
Stitching Snow

Stitching Snow

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  7,469 ratings  ·  1,283 reviews

Princess Snow is missing.

Her home planet is filled with violence and corruption at the hands of King Matthias and his wife as they attempt to punish her captors. The king will stop at nothing to get his beloved daughter back-but that's assuming she wants to return at all.

Essie has grown used to being cold. Temperatures on the planet Thanda are always sub-zero, and she fill
Published October 6th 2015 by Disney-Hyperion (first published October 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Stitching Snow, please sign up.
Aafia Haha, I totally thought the same thing since I'm Pakistani! Plus there's Garam, which means warm or hot in Urdu.
Suzy Q I've talked to the author, and it was written before Cinder was published, so it isn't copied from that. Its similarities are sort of crazy, but I…moreI've talked to the author, and it was written before Cinder was published, so it isn't copied from that. Its similarities are sort of crazy, but I actually liked "Stitching Snow" better.(less)

·  7,469 ratings  ·  1,283 reviews

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
“The day I was born, my father was more interested in unusual weather for the season. He chose my name and had some genetic resequencing done. He wanted what he wanted. So I was made Princess Snow, eyes like the sky and hair as white as my name."
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, there lived Snow White.

Heehee. No, I have not gone off my rockers! Ok, I have, but that's beside the point. Of course, everyone has their own interpretation of a book, but for me, this book is Star Wars meet
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Blog: Melissa Martin's Reading List

PRINCESS SNOW IS MISSING... WHERE COULD SHE BE....

Princess Snow (Essie) is on the planet Thanda where it's sub-zero weather, sounds like my kind of place. She's been here for 8 years.

She's a bad ass and I love it! She's in cage fights with the miners of all things!

She works with a really nice guy named Petey who tries to keep her out of trouble. Essie has made 7 drones to help in the mines. The drones and the humans mine for merinium, it's really important ar
Anne

Also reveiwed for Addicted2Heroines

Space, the final frontier...

The big question on everyone's mind seems to be whether or not Stitching Snow is a rip-off of The Lunar Chronicles.
Hmmm.
Well, retellings are, by the very nature of the genre, all rip-offs.
But that's not really what people are talking about, is it?
My personal opinion?
I'm leaning towards, no. No, I do not think this is a rip-off.
I mean, is no one ever going to be allowed to write another retelling in space, just because Mar
Faye, la Patata
Well, this is awkward... another review for a retelling from yours truly. I swear I am not seeking them out; they seem to find me, not I them. In any case, this one is extra special because it's a retelling in spaaaaaaaace. And anything set in space is automatically "cool beans" in my eyes. I mean, usually. You know. *fidgets*

Now the only problem is... where to bloody start.

You see, Stitching Snow and I have quite a complicated relationship. I liked it for the most part, but I found a lot of pro
Wendy Darling
2.5 stars I was pretty determined to not compare this book to Marissa Meyer's fairy tale scifi series as I read it, because a. it's hardly the first to do a mash-up of genres and b. books deserve to be judged on their own merits. But it's pretty impossible not to see the similarities in Stitching Snow's tone and a few other elements to Cinder, except with characters and relationships that aren't quite as compelling, and a story line and dialogue and romance that don't really spark. It's going to ...more
Arielle Rae Aguilar
EDIT: I was right. I completely forgot about this book.

Okay, so I saw this on the Recommendations page and read the synopsis

I thought Oh, this looks really interesting! I want to read it right away!

And I looked at the publication date

October

OCTOBER

Are you kidding me?? That's around 7 months away! By then, I bet I would've forgotten that I added this to my tbr list

Note to self: Check publication date BEFORE reading the synopsis
Asghar Abbas
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Snow White and her seven Drones gets revamped in this sleek looking space opera. I didn't know retelling fairy tales set in space was a thing. Clever enough idea. I hope this horse doesn't get beaten to death with the inevitable rehashes.

[Wouldn’t want to botch the pretty girl’s face, right? Idiot.]

A few moments into this I came across this gold nugget and I almost closed the book all together. Um, no, no, no, no, just no. It felt so self-referential. But in the past, I have been guilty of far g
Shannon
It's definitely going to be difficult to not compare this to Cinder; it's got robots, a misplaced princess, space travel, and a fairy tale backbone, but honestly this was just different enough for me to stop the comparisons there. The story didn't really get its hooks into me until around 19%, and it's interesting that I see a lot of people that didn't finish this stopped before that point. Honestly, that's where the whole book did a 180 for me and I was glued to the page. I'd say, if you get to ...more
Lainey
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are you looking for a science fiction fairy tale retelling? I recommend Stitching Snow which is a Snow White retelling set against a space adventure. Me? I was sold. I would say it was a cross between The Lunar Chronicles and These Broken Stars.

The plot itself is a tad hard to explain. Even the synopsis is extremely vague. Basically, eight years ago Princess Snow disappeared prompting a war across planets. We follow Essie who has been on planet Tandra minding her own business. One day, a spacecr
April (Aprilius Maximus)
This is definitely a lot of fun, but it's hard to look past the many parallels to the 'Lunar Chronicles' by Marissa Meyer.

Around the Year in 52 Books Challenge Notes:
- 1. A book you meant to read in 2015 but didn't
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
*2,8/5 stars*

“You are a girl,” he pointed out.
I braved his eyes long enough to shoot him a glare, and there was no doubt he felt the heat of it as his step stuttered. “I am, and I may be the only one living in Forty-Two. But I’m no one’s wife and no one’s good time, and I’ve no intention of letting that change anytime soon.”

I'm quite conflicted when it comes to this book. While I pretty much disliked the first half of it, the second half was much better. It's not perfect and in no way my favo
Rebekah
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Original review at: www.awesomebooknuts.blogspot.com

I'm just gonna come out and say it. This is a MUST OWN! Whoot! that good! For fans of Marissa Meyer's Cinder series will LOVE this book. And, get this, IT'S A STAND ALONE! Oh my heck do those even exist anymore?! sheesh!

So this is a Snow White story but R.C. Lewis has completely made it her own which is perfect and the heroine isn't a simpering maiden but an awesome protagonist that is independent, flawed, resourceful, courageous, witty, and st
Melissa Landers
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2k14
Awe. Some. If you like sci-fi, kick-ass heroines, plot twists, action, romance...basically all the things that make fiction worth reading...then add this to your to-read list, pronto. This is such a clever spin on the Snow White fairy tale. Loved it!
Mel (Daily Prophecy)

I think all the comparisons to The Lunar Chronicles are doing this clever story an injustice. Fairytale retellings and books are bound to have similarities. Sure, the sci-fi setting and certain elements could be connected with Marissa Meyer’s series, but Stitching Snow is a story on it’s own and it’s a damn good one.

Essie has build a life on Thanda, a cold, unfriendly planet where she takes care of the drones and fights against the male miners to earn some
Ronyell
“Princess Snow is missing!”

Yes, you heard that right folks! Princess Snow has suddenly disappeared from her home planet…or has she? “Stitching Snow” is a futuristic retelling of the classic Brothers Grimm tale “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” that is written by R.C. Lewis. The difference with this story and the original fairy tale is that Snow is not accompanied by seven dwarfs, but rather a awesome yet complicated hero in Dane!

The book starts off with a young woman named Essie working in th
TL
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: impulse buy in the bookstore
Shelves: favorites
" I never wasted time with words midfight. When Moray opened his mouth to continue taunting me, I punched him in the trachea. Not hard enough--only a glancing blow. He tried to counterattack, but I twisted him around into an armlock. A little more pressure and something cracked or popped. I danced with him as he tried to maneuver his free arm to grab me and kicked the side of his knee. "

“Brave is being scared and doing what needs to be done anyway”

“The day I was born, my father was more interes
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi/James
Review also posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

This is where things get a bit tricky. I truly want to believe that every books has its story to tell and that not two people can write the same, regardless of how similar they are and it's true they cannot. I do also believe that every book is its own entity but despite my efforts not to compare this one with The Lunar Chronicles it's really hard not to do so.

Once again I was faced with a fairy tale retelling set in the future which makes this book a nice c
Giselle
An Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher for review. Quotes pulled from the ARC may be incorrect and may be subject to change.

Essie lives in insulation on a mining planet called Tandra and she loves her simple life. With the help of her seven drones, she has a peaceful life. When a shuttle crash lands near her home, she finds an injured Dane. Gaining her trust, he convinces her that he needs her help and she willingly gives it up him. What she decides sets her on a journey that she
Kristen Kooistra
DNF 66%

I don't think I have a DNF review here yet, so this will be new. Let me start by dropping a spoiler bomb on everyone since I wish someone had posted it for me to read(instead of digging through reviews to finally find a comment after it was too late).

I read YA for a reason, and it's to avoid things like child rape. Snow's father raped her from what we're to understand on a frequent basis as a child. If you feel as I do about that, then this isn't the book for you.

I was really psyched abou
Debby

I'll admit that I started Stitching Snow with some trepidation - most of my friends that had read it had given it 3 stars max. But lo and behold, in a strange twist of fate, I'm a positive black sheep, because I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK. It was creative, fun, sci-fi-tastic, and a well-executed stand alone debut novel.

The first thing that got me on the "this-book-is-awesome" bus was our main character, Essie. I hadn't read the book's premise in a while, so the exact nature of her identit
 Stacy
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I was so surprised by this book! What a cute little story! I picked this up because I had overheard rumors that it was a, "Cinder ripoff", which it was not. I had been looking for a similar books to Cinder for quite awhile and this seemed to fit the bill. This book had the (view spoiler) and lots of droids, but that's about as far as I can compare it to Cinder. The droids had cute little personalities but they were nowhere near as human as the ones in Cinder.

Th
Bipasha
Apr 11, 2014 marked it as untrend  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: addedcoverlust
"Temperatures on the planet Thanda are always sub-zero..."

chill {adj.} (also: chilly, cold, frigid)
ठणडा [thanda] {adj. m}

Co-incidence? I simply like to think not. Meet fate. HA-HA.
Brigid ✩
Hmm sounds kind of like the Lunar Chronicles? I'm intrigued ... looks cool. :)
TheBookSmugglers
Essie has a secret.

Staying alive on backwater mining planet Thanda is no small feat – least of all a teenage girl completely on her own. Alone or not, Essie manages to hobble together a living by her winnings in cage fights and her smarts with her droids and stitched-together tech. For the most part, she’s happy. Or she’s too tired to be happy; call it what you will.

But she’s still got a secret that could, one day, tear the galaxy apart.

That day comes when a strange ship crashes on Thanda, beari
Danielle (Love at First Page)
3.5-4 stars

Note: I received an ARC of this book at BEA. However, this did not influence my review in any way.

Stitching Snow will no doubt draw comparisons to that other fairy tale retelling, with its futuristic, sci-fi setting and its inter-planetary space travelling. Even the two main characters, though one is representative of Snow White and the other Cinderalla, share a lot of similarities: tomboy, computer geek, relatively friendless outside of a robot/drone sidekick, the whole "missing prin
Alyssa
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-releases
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publication Date: October 14, 2014
Rating: 3 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Princess Snow is missing.

Essie has grown used
Adele
I dont usually like to read sci-fi because when I read them I end up not liking them. At all. So when I decided to pick up Stitching Snow, I was pleasantly surprised. The way that R. C. Lewis wrote Stitching Snow was very compelling. There wasn't ever a dull moment. There was action when there needed to be, and nothing in the story felt forced. So I was thoroughly entertained while reading the book.

I love this book. Stitching Snow is one of my favourite books. I love the story, the retelling. Th
Maya
“The day I was born, my father was more interested in unusual weather for the season. He chose my name and had some genetic re-sequencing done. He wanted what he wanted. So I was made Princess Snow, eyes like the sky and hair as white as my name."

Stitching Snow was everything I was looking for and more! It has a strong-willed heroine, a roguish prince, and a realistic romance. At first I didn’t particularly feel like Stitching Snow was going to interest me, especially as the first fifty pages
Jasmine
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
I’m honestly surprised at how much I enjoy fairytale retellings. I thought I’d just find them corny and predictable but this was such a great read. And the fact that it’s a standalone makes it so much better - fantasy series can often get a little boring as the books go on, so this was seriously refreshing. So glad I’ve finally read this! It reminded me a lot of Cinder (Marissa Meyer) with hints of The Selection (Kiera Cass), which is the perfect combination! I loved the chemistry between Essie ...more
SoWrongItsRANDI {Bell, Book & Candle}
Bell, Book and Candle Blog | Stitching Snow Review

Mirror Mirror on the wall, who's the baddest b***h of them all?

Princess Snow, that's who!

This was unbelievable, in a great way. It's like a futuristic-fantasy reimagining of the well-known fairytale Snow White. I had high hopes for this book when I first read the synopsis, and I am pleased to say that they were exceeded.

First off, can I just say how awesome this version of Snow White is? She's a no-holds-barred, kick ass, strong female! Not the
Play Book Tag: Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis - 4 stars 1 17 Jun 03, 2019 11:26PM
Squabbling Dragons: Stitching Snow: SPOILER FREE 2 9 Jan 16, 2018 01:16AM
Squabbling Dragons: Stitching Snow: SPOILERS 1 3 Dec 17, 2017 06:38AM
Squabbling Dragons: Stitching Snow by R. C. Lewis 2 9 Oct 19, 2017 07:45PM
SQHS Sci-Fi/Fanta...: Stitching Snow 2 7 May 29, 2017 10:31PM
Crazy for Young A...: Pair #10: Nancy85 and Dory (February Besties) 28 21 Feb 26, 2017 02:16PM

• Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Prophecy of Oz (Prophecy of Oz, #1)
  • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
  • Trail of Shadows and Blood (A Tale So Dark & Grimm, #1)
  • The Body Electric
  • Stray (Four Sisters, #1)
  • The Fire Wish (The Jinni Wars, #1)
  • Winter Falls (Twin Willows, #1)
  • Falls the Shadow (Falls the Shadow #1)
  • Damsel Distressed
  • Valiant
  • Illusive (Illusive, #1)
  • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)
  • Such Sweet Sorrow
  • Crown of Ice  (The Mirror of Immortality, #1)
  • Wordless (Words Made Flesh, #1)
  • Princess of Thorns
  • Winterspell (Winterspell, #1)
When I'm not writing novels, I'm teaching math. Or when I'm not teaching math, I'm writing novels. It gets a little confusing in here sometimes.
“Not that complicated. I think I'm in love with you, Essie. But I also think you're not ready. I shouldn't have sprung it on you like that, so I decided to take it at your speed.” 22 likes
“Brave is being scared and doing what needs to be done anyway” 21 likes