Start by marking “MARY: Unleashed (Bloody Mary, #2)” as Want to Read:
MARY: Unleashed (Bloody Mary, #2)

MARY: Unleashed

(Bloody Mary #2)

Mary in the mirror.
Mary in the glass.
Mary in the water.

Mary lurks in the emptiness, in the darkness . . . in the reflection. That is, until Jess unleashes her into the world. Now Mary Worth is out and her haunting is deadlier than ever.

No one is safe.

Shauna, Kitty, and Jess must band together to unearth the truth about Mary's death to put her soul to rest for good. Their s
Published September 8th 2015 by Disney-Hyperion (first published September 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about MARY, please sign up.

✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
This was a really compelling end to Bloody Mary's story.

While reading this, I totally felt as if the history of Bloody Mary was true! I'm a fan of the first book, so I had some expectations for this one. Let's just say that my expectations were surpassed. :)

The main character, Shauna wants nobody to get hurt anymore. However, with Mary out of the mirror... It was sort of impossible. My imagination was so active while reading this because the author's description of Mary was so good, it felt as
Melissa Chung
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Yes! What a horrifying conclusion to this amazingly written duology. I of course have heard of Bloody Mary growing up. When I was six years old, a friend told me the story of Bloody Mary. I was so scared to see her in the mirror, I did the opposite of what you are supposed to do. I ran into the bathroom with the light off to pee and ended up accidently peeing on the toilet lid. TMI I know, that's how freaked out I was. As an adult I know better, you check the toilet lid first LOL because you can ...more
Paige  Bookdragon

Obviously, as what the title is saying, Bloody Mary (the vindictive ghost who haunts Shauna,Jess and Kitty) has now been unleashed in the world.That means she can actually hunt people without using the mirror.

It should have been scary, but it's not.

I was actually expecting to be spooked (and mind you, I did read this book at night because ambiance is important) but I was a tad disappointed.

Some characters were whiny (and not the endearing kind), some are idiots and most of them are bland. Reall
Patty Killion
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
A full and scary 4 stars!

The second and final book in this Bloody Mary series.

I continued to turn the pages of this second book as fast as I did in the first book, "Mary: The Summoning".

It was a delightfully scary ghost story!!!

btw....You just might be able to look in a mirror now.....maybe!!!!
Mehsi
Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary.

So, funny story, I was planning on reading this one today (Friday 30th October). But last night I couldn't sleep and thus decided to read this. And then 2 hours later I closed the book. Did I sleep much afterwards? Hahaha, no, not really. But I really really wanted to read this book, and I decided to take the consequences that come with reading a horror book at around 1am with it. :)

I am really glad I read the book, but I do have to say that I prefer the p
Christine Desrochers-Broderick
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved it! Not just for young adults!! A lot of action too and it was written very well, felt I was there! Now I need to go get my salt.....
Paige Bradish
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I borrowed Mary: Unleashed by Hillary Monahan from work and this is my honest review.

This book is the much-anticipated sequel to Monahan’s first book, Mary which is about a group of girls who decide to summon the legend of “Bloody Mary.” One girl in particular, Jess decides to summon Mary because she happens to be an ancestor of hers, and Jess wants to learn more about her. The problem is, her and her three friends get a lot more than they bargained for when Mary latches on and terrorizes them t
Kelly Hager
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
You may remember that the first book in this series (The Summoning) is one of my favorites from last year. It's intensely creepy and when it ended, I was so desperate for the second book.

Fortunately, this last book (I hate duologies! I mean, yay sequels but why are trilogies not hot anymore?) was just perfect. It was even creepier than the first one (which I wouldn't have thought was possible) and was just insanely fun.

I am so in love with this duology and, while I wish it could somehow be a wh
Jojobean
Youtube Video Review: https://youtu.be/mm2DuhLWIqE

. Not as scary as the first one but still creeped me out
. This book is about finding out about Mary's life and where her body is
. Takes place a few weeks after the first book
. New characters are Dell and Cody who I love.
. Still don't like Jess. She's still selfish and only thinks of herself.
. The reason why Mary rose is seriously messed up.
. Lots more letters written by different people like Constance, Elizabeth Hawthorne, Constance's husband.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
I might have liked this one a little more than the first one but it still wasn't amazing to me. Worth a quick read though.
Becca
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this series. LOVE. IT.

In this installment we get to learn more about Mary, and why she is doing what she is doing. The characters in this book are so fantastic. Even the super creepy ones. I cannot say too much because you should read this one for yourself so you can have a super scary experience...heheh Some one else might read this and think "she was off her rocker it's not that scary"....well to me it was!

I love reading scary books, they just make me happy. I know I have said that bef
Kathleen
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great sequel! I loved Mary: The Summoning and was really excited that there was a sequel. Ghost stories are great, but learning what happened in the past, discovering the truth, is awesome! A well-written, creepy, roller coaster of a ride. A sad and terrifying look at lost friendship and regrets.
Heather
I definitely enjoyed this sequel. It was exactly what I wanted. It was sad to lose some important characters but it made it better. The only thing I wish would've happened was for me, as a reader, to see Mary finally find some peace. The whole series is definitely worth reading!
Emily
Feb 25, 2019 marked it as dnf
I enjoyed the first book in this series, but this one is not working for me. I gave it about 100 pages, and it dragged for all of it.
Elle Maruska
More of a 3.5. I didn't enjoy this quite as much as the first one but it was still a fun, scary read. I loved learning more about the town of Solomon's Folly and all its ghosts and I loved the characters...how they were forced to make difficult choices and how they reacted in realistic, sometimes heartbreaking ways. A good conclusion to the story of Mary Worth!
Selina
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shauna's attitude towards Jess in this book really REALLY pissed me off.
Colleen Scidmore
MARY: Unleashed was even better than its predecessor MARY: The Summoning and for that I was thankful. The first book wasn't bad at all but I was expecting something a bit more to my liking from a book themed after a character that starred in some of my childhood nightmares. But the sequel was surprisingly better. I really looked forward to picking it back up when ever I had to put it down! I think the mystery part did it for me. There was so much to discover still about Mary, her mother Hannah, ...more
Amy
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When dealing with Mary, cover all reflective surfaces, especially water, and carry lots of salt because this time she is on the hunt and will not rest until she has taken each girl, piece by piece!

With the loss of Anna, it is up to Shauna, Jess and Kitty to try and track down Bloody Mary Worth’s roots, and discover once and for all what causes her to seek revenge. This time however, with Shauna and Kittys’ distrust of Jess’s motives, they set out on their own seeking help from the only person wh
Auggie
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark, ghosts, ya-horror
Egads! *shudders*

I think that there are very few books that I've ever read that have made me so shaky. To be quite honest with you, I hate horror. I just do. I don't like being terrified. I do like being creeped out, and I love a good creepy read. However, there's a difference between creepy and freaking terrifying.

Mary Unleashed definitely fell into the latter category. Bloody Mary has always been a sinister and blood curdling story. What kid hasn't been tempted to try calling out to Mary in t
Rachel
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the sequel to the first Mary novel and it is a terrifying and perfect second novel that finishes up the story. This novel picks up a mere month or so after the first novel ends where Kitty was saved from Mary being attached to her and they cast her onto Jess, who started this whole mess. The group goes on to Soloman's Folly and slowly begin to unfold the mystery of what happened to Mary, and why she came back to haunt with such a terrifying force.

Hillary Monahan has a great skill of bein
Brad Kirk
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book concludes the two part story of Mary Worth a.k.a. Bloody Mary. These books are a fun, entertaining read and if I had read then when I was in junior high (the audience they are likely intended for) they would've given me nightmares. I think Bloody Mary is one of the guaranteed ghost icons that every kid was scared of. Going to the bathroom in the middle of the night and being scared to look in the mirror, haha. Anyways, if you've ever been scared by the idea of Bloody Mary, these books ...more
Megan
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading horror novels for 19 years and have read all of the greats, and I can count on one hand the amount of times a book has creeped me out so bad that I had to put it down and flip on the lights. Both of the Mary books had that effect on me. I have always found the Mary legend and mirrors to be uber creepy and Miss Monahan's descriptions of Mary and her circumstances were the best I have ever read!
Colten Hibbs
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderful, well-crafted conclusion to the story of Bloody Mary.
Diving into these books reminded me of days long ago snuggled in a tent of sheets on my bed reading a GOOSEBUMPS or FEAR STREET story by R.L. Stine. This is a blend of that creepy tone with the action and suspense of "Supernatural".
Mary: Unleashed (and its predecessor) is a thrilling, bloody, horrific adventure.
Highly recommend - especially for the upcoming Halloween season :-)
Lola Snyder
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-dark-side
Just as scary as the first book, MARY: The Summoning. A page turner with serious creep factor, this book will keep you reading long into the night because you just can't. put. it. down! And if you do, then you have to go into the bathroom to brush your teeth...and look into the mirror...
Jenny
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it

This book was fabulous. There is something about the way Hillary writes, her story just flows so well and I can't get enough of it. This was a fast-paced conclusion which I enjoyed every bit as much as the first.
Renee
A book I own but haven't read yet.

This was just as good as the first one...but WTF was in that field????????
Sydney
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Better than the first!
The letters in the books finally came together and created a thrilling ending. I couldn't have hoped for it to be any better.
Llyr Heller-Humphreys
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I so loved this second installment. I hope there is a third. Thank you to the author for adding more letters from Mary's time. It was definitely an edge of your seat read!
Angela
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very good story. Not as scary as the first book but very creepy!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Another Term For Quicksand? 4 9 Mar 10, 2016 05:09PM

• Return to the Dark House (Dark House, #2)
  • The Suffering (The Girl from the Well, #2)
  • Sword of Deaths (The Scythe Wielder's Secret Book 2)
  • The Ravenous
  • Amity
  • The Fall of Brackenbone (Everville #4)
  • The Warlock and the Wolf (The Naturalist, #1)
  • Diary of a Haunting (Diary of a Haunting, #1)
  • The Crooked House: The Lilith Chronicles Book I
  • Hollow House
  • Uriel (The Hallowed Chronicles, #1)
  • Mary Hades (Mary Hades #1)
  • The Gift-Knight's Quest
  • Grave Matters (Night Owls, #2)
  • Voices from Beyond (Ghost Finders, #5)
  • You Can't Hide (Shadow House, #2)
  • The Pack (Serenity Falls, #2)
  • Charlotte Says (Frozen Charlotte, #2)
Hillary Monahan's YA debut MARY: The Summoning, a YA Horror retelling of the Bloody Mary myth, sold at auction to Hyperion and hit number two on the New York Times e-book bestseller list. MARY: Unleashed is out as of fall 2015. She's also published THE AWESOME with Ravenstone under the name Eva Darrows, which received starred reviews in both Kirkus and PW.

Her next three publications are an adult h

Bloody Mary (2 books)
  • MARY: The Summoning (Bloody Mary, #1)