Start by marking “H.A.L.F.: The Deep Beneath (H.A.L.F., #1)” as Want to Read:
H.A.L.F.: The Deep Beneath (H.A.L.F., #1)

H.A.L.F.: The Deep Beneath

(H.A.L.F. #1)

H.A.L.F. 9 has taken his first breath of desert air and his first steps in the human world. Created to be a weapon, he proved too powerful for his makers and has lived a sedated life hidden from humans. But H.A.L.F. 9 has escaped the underground lab he called home, and the sedation has worn off. He has never been more alive. More powerful. Or more deadly.

Erika Holt longs t
Paperback, First Edition, 292 pages
Published January 7th 2015 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about H.A.L.F., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about H.A.L.F.

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to RMS and author Natalie Wright.)

“I was designed to be a weapon, Erika Holt. I was not trained to feel regret for killing.”

This was an interesting YA sci-fi story, and I liked the action.

Erica was a good character, and I liked how she was willing to sacrifice herself to save her boyfriend and her best friend. Offering yourself up to be raped in order to stop your boyfriend and best friend from being kil
Montzalee Wittmann
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
H.A.L.F.: The Deep Beneath
By: Natalie Wright
Narrated by: Andrew Tell
I have had this book for a long time and I am so mad at myself for waiting to read it! It is so amazing!
It is about a human/alien hybrid breeding program by the government, and one of their specimens, HALF 9, escapes. 9 meets teens and trouble, they each help each other. The story gets crazier and very suspense filled as they try to get 9 to his 'cousins' that are trying to pick him up. 9 finds out he has a 'sister', HALF 10, al
Alina Cătărău
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
" I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book so I could give an honest review.”

The Deep Beneath is the first instalment in Natalie Wright’s young adult science fiction series entitled H.A.L.F., which was inspired by the Roswell UFO Incident, but the author took it to a whole new level.

In short, three teenagers (Erika, Ian and Jack) who were living a dull life in border town Ajo (Arizona), encounter an outlandish being named H.A.L.F. 9, who saves them after they are attacked by two arm
Liza
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first installment of Natalie's three part series and is a fast paced story that although it's marketed for a Young Adult audience, I believe anyone would enjoy, I'm in my mid 40's and I loved it.

The story has many twists and turns ensuring that you won't put the book down. There's always something to discover or the answer to a question on the next page. There is so much tension and intrique in the book that you feel the characters fear when they are in danger, and the sudden relief
Samantha
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scookie-reviews
Verdict:A typical alien experiment sci-fi novel.
Enjoyment: 4 I enjoyed reading it.
Writing Style: 4 Only a few minor tweaks.
Plot: 4 Action packed. No twists or spins though.
World & Concepts: 4 Solid but nothing overly original.
Characters: 4 Villain needs fleshing out. The rest are likable and individual.
Finish: 5 Didn’t even know it was self-published!
Strengths: Action sequences are good and plenty.
Weakness: Just doesn’t have that original or gripping spark.

This is the perfect example of a s
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I got a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

I can't say I liked this novel. Although the premise grabbed my attention, the story turned out to be too overdone to my liking. It partly had to do with the source of H.A.L.F. 9's non-human side. It reminded me of what I'd call "Cold War era stories": books, movies, comics tackling matters that were relevant a few decades ago (the way the Cold War provided an excellent building-ground for tense st
Teresa Vogt
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When three teens go hang out in the desert, stargazing and just hanging out , they don't expect trouble, but it finds them. Two Bandits come with evil intent , one of the teens is shot. When suddenly they are rescued by a stranger, who is more strange then they ever expected. He obviously isn't quite Human, when he dispatches the bad guy that shot one of the teens and then heals the bullet wound.
HALF 9 is a alien/human hybrid and the secret Government Lab he's spent his 17 yrs sedated and kept w
Chele Cooke
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I received a copy of H.A.L.F The Deep Beneath in exchange for an honest review.

I'm a fan of accessible Sci-Fi and H.A.L.F is certainly that. Told by multiple points of view, we get a new and fresh look into the story Natalie Wright has created, but also some more knowledgeable views that allow the reader to grasp aspects the characters themselves have not yet come to understand.

I read this book mostly on my commute to and from work and I liked getting it in small bites. The characters were easil
Elizabeth (Stuffed Shelves)
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi, teenage
This was a very fast paced read for me. I finished it surprisingly quick. Natalie Wright will have you flipping the pages quicker than any other book. All the characters have deep back stories, and depth making them come to life. I could easily imagine them based off of their past, present, and the descriptive words Ms. Wright used. There's just enough description to give you an image, without being too wordy and over explaining things to where the book becomes unenjoyable.

I believe this book's
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
The Deep Beneath was a well-written young adult science fiction novel. It introduces us to the characters we will follow throughout the next two books. Natalie Wright does a good job of keeping it at a young adult level, but not pandering to the hormonal crowd too much. Yes, there is a little bit of a romance mentioned, but as the novel is almost immediately a fight for survival, it's not much of a problem.

Ian, Jack, and Erika are a likable bunch, and feel like 'real' friends. They're not all bu
Elissa Mahler
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was blessed with a free copy of this book, and have chosen of my own volition to share my review with you!

Be prepared to not put this book down, and to be compelled to purchase the next book in this series. This tale is woven in such a manner that the reader is sucked in, loosing complete track of time in the real world. The characters are complexly developed. The plot is full of twists and turns. The author truly has a gift!

What if you heard that an alien attack was eminent? What would you do
Sparrow Knight
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Picked this up at Bubonicon last year. Indie writers are always such a crap shoot; I've read some real dreck in my effort to support them. But Natalie Wright is worth the time & money. Her characters feel realistic, the action flows well, & tho' there's romance, it doesn't intrude in unrealistic ways. I like this well enough to order the second in the series.
Jenna
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid alien scifi

Well written young adult SciFi. You'll like the protagonist and hate the antagonist. The characters could use more depth, but this is book 1, so maybe they're fleshed out a bit more in books 2-3.
Jodie "Bookish"  Cook
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Book Review

Title: H.A.L.F: The Deep Beneath

Author: Natalie Wright

Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal/Action

Rating: *****

Review: I loved the opening of this novel it was dark and mystery and possibly provides some background into what happens later in the novel, but for an opening chapter it did exactly what it was meant to do; it caught my attention and made me frantic to read on and find out what happens to the mystery inhuman baby.

I loved the characters from the offset especially Erika; her strong,
Amie's Book Reviews
* I received a free copy of this audiobook from AudioBookBlast in exchange for an honest review.

H.A.L.F. 9 has finally escaped his lifelong cell and has breathed in the desert air for the first time. He was created as a weapon, but he exceeded his creator's wildest imaginings of his power and has spent his entire 17 years of life sedated and hidden away from humans.

But now that H.A.L.F. 9 has escaped the underground lab and the sedation has worn off, he realizes just what he has been missing an
Melancholy Codex
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Honestly I think this book has the potential to become a...
full review here: https://melancholy-codex.tumblr.com/p...
Koeur
Mar 17, 2015 rated it did not like it

Publisher: Natalie Wright

Publishing Date: January 2015

ISBN: 9781505524727

Genre: SciFi

Rating: 1.5/5

Publisher Description: Erika Holt longs to ride her motorcycle east until pavement meets shore. She bides her time until graduation when she’ll say adios to the trailer she shares with her alcoholic mother and memories of her dead father. But a typical night in the desert with friends thrusts Erika into a situation more dangerous than she ever imagined.

Revie
Heather Duff
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
So we have some young adults, an underground secret facility, super humans with numbers instead of names, what is going on?

Before I get started this book gave me a whole Area 51 vibe, I think it was the whole secret government base thing going on!

Anyway long story short Erica, her two best friends (both male and one a very good friend!) decide to let their hair down and head out to the desert. Whilst there they encounter some nasty types who are out to get whatever they want and unfortunately Er
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/book-tou...

This was an interesting read. H.A.L.F: The Deep Beneath is the first book in a trilogy, and it sets the mood nicely. We’re introduced to H.A.LF. 9, who was created to be a weapon yet ended up being too powerful and impredictable. His makers kept him sedated, but now the sedation has worn off, and he’s more alive and deadly than ever before. As a hybrid, only half-human, H.A.L.F 9 makes an interesting character. The au
Michelle
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed this fast.paced book that centers around H.A.L.F. 9, who is a half human, half-alien teenager, created by the US military to be used as a weapon in an alien invasion. The other main character is Erika, a very human teenager who becomes involved with H.A.L.F. 9 (whom Erika later re-names Tex) when he escapes from the underground facility where he has been kept all of his life, into the desert and saves Erika and her two friends from two bandits. The four of them form an unlike ...more
Nicola
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-books
I was given a copy of this book in return for an unbiased review.
H.A.L.F:The Deep Beneath is a young adult novel that grabs your attention on page one, and never lets it go. The human-alien life form that was created to battle in the great alien war took on many human characteristics that were not intended. When introduced to a group of human teenagers he was intrigued and challenged. Romantic notions are obviously not only a human emotion.
The characters were presented believable and likeable
Felisha Caldeira
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
We all want to know what happened at Roswell and Natalie Wright gives us her fantastical spin on what may have very well happened and what we have done since then. In her story we encounter a human-alien hybrid who just wants to be free but that freedom comes at a cost. Making new friends, meeting family he didn't know existed, and meeting his alien "cousins" leads to an epic, bloody battle of wills and perseverance.

It was quite enjoyable and easy to follow along. I only question what Wright's
One-Click
Audiobook

Narration - Andrew Tell - Really Good
I honestly can't say much about his narration. He was such a good story teller, that I didn't notice his narration. Great voice, good pace, no annoying character voices, it all was just a smoothly told story. Very nice!

The book was really interesting. I don't read/listen to much Psy-Fi, but I really enjoyed this book.
HALF.9 is a hybrid human/alien who escapes from the underground environment where he's been kept for the past 17 years. He runs into t
Olia
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ARC from Netgalley for an honest review

I liked this book a lot - but what an ending, eh? When is the sequel coming out: I MUST know what happens next! And I have to say, I am not at all happy with what I am speculating is the reason for leaving certain someone behind: I hope I am wrong...

I loved Tex portrayal in the Deep Beneath: he really came alive for me, and I will definitely want to read more about him.

The teens have nice dynamic too, with a lovely range of characters between them, while t
Kyle Shoop
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Easy 5 Stars. Great read and highly recommended. I was lucky enough to discover the author at Salt Lake Comic Con, and am glad I decided to pick up her book. The plot is face-paced, well thought out, and unique. I wanted to keep reading at the end of each chapter. I loved Tex (I don't want to give too much away) - and the characters were well developed. Full of adventure, mystery, and thrills! The ending was awesome and now I'm going to be picking up a copy of book two.
Sabrina
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book that I read so quick that when it was over I was shocked I had read it so fast. The story line is so fast paced and the characters have so much depth to them that I felt like I knew them and that their story line was being played out right in front of me. Oh and Natalie has left me with so many questions that I really need book two now to know what is going to happen. I am definitely going to be buying it release day. 5/5 Bloody Fangs
Selina Harshbarger
Kept me wanting more throughout the whole book. Definitely a fun read and can't wait for book 2!
Graham Hatcher
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read ,.

story moved along nicely and kept your interest. Enough action and intrigue and I look forward to reading book 2.
Mark Gardner
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I’ve run into Natalie at writing conventions, book festivals, and comic cons. Since we’re both Arizona authors, we often get invited to the same events. She’s always fun to sit next to on a sci-fi panel. Obviously, I’ve known about her alien/human hybrid story for a while (The Deep Beneath came out almost three years ago), but it wasn’t until a recent subscription to Kindle Unlimited that I finally got around to reading her work. (Sorry, Nat!)

From my interactions with Natalie over the years, I h
Angela Lover  of all Books No Matter How Horrid They Are ❤❂☠
I received this book, because I asked for it, in exchange for giving my honest opinion about this story.

This story is not like any others that I have read. This book is about young adults however as someone who is 29 I will have to admit that I really enjoyed this story. This story starts off very mundane nothing bad is happening nothing major is occurring but yet a plot twist occurs. I have to say that the beginning of the story set of pace for the rest of the book.

Commander Sturgis is who I wo
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Reviewe...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Giveaway: Win a box set of Akasha Chronicles 1 12 Mar 03, 2015 05:33AM

• The Portal and the Panther (Guardians of the Portal, #1)
  • Forecast
  • The Strings of the Violin (The Hadariah Chronicles #1)
  • Lunula (Irador Series, #1)
  • The Travelers
  • The Jewel of Kamara
  • Reawakening (The Passage of Hellsfire, Book 3)
  • Secrets (The Geneva Project, #2)
  • Code Human
  • Resilience (Regina Shen #1)
  • Liam's Promise (The Doomsday Kids #1)
  • The Six Days
  • Brink of Dawn (Chosen #2)
  • The Moreva of Astoreth
  • Six
  • Miyuki (Unusuals, #2)
  • Awakening (Ragesong, #1)
  • Two Suns (Beyond #2)
Natalie writes Sci-Fi and Fantasy fiction for teens and adults including the award-winning Sci Fi series, H.A.L.F., and The Akasha Chronicles, a young adult fantasy trilogy.

She is also a co-host of the Tipsy Nerds Book Club podcast (premieres April 11, 2019), a show dedicated to great Sci-Fi/Fantasy stories with a twist: the hosts recreate fictional cocktails for the book of the week—and drink the

H.A.L.F. (3 books)
  • H.A.L.F.: The Makers (H.A.L.F., #2)
  • H.A.L.F.: ORIGINS (H.A.L.F., #3)