Start by marking “For Holly” as Want to Read:
For Holly

For Holly

Lola Durand hates her stepmother. It's a cliché but it's true.

Lola Durand can't get through to her father. He never wants to talk about the things that matter: why they had to move to Paris, why he had to marry evil Agatha, and how they can get through the heartache of her mother's death together.

If he won't listen, she'll show him. She'll show him the truth about his new
Published June 4th 2015 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about For Holly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Holly

Liz Barnsley
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
"For Holly" is a highly compelling family drama with a mystery element that starts off slowly but inexorably draws you in. Written in the form of a diary/letter, it pretty much follows Lola on a path through grief after the death of her Mother. The whole thing is fascinatingly emotional as we see her self destruct, even though she cannot see it herself...

I really thought this was a genuinely beautiful yet very sad at times story - Lola is a remarkably drawn character with a strong voice and an e
Josie
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
After reading ( and loving ) Tanya Byrne's debut novel "Heart-Shaped Bruise" several years ago and placing my hands on her 2nd novel "Follow Me Down" pretty much as soon as it was released, I was instantly a fan of hers, and was keen to read her 3rd novel, which admittedly took much longer than it should have.
"For Holly" paled in comparison, and while it held my attention enough to fill a Sunday afternoon, it lacked for me in its flow given the mystery component used in the telling of this famil
John Naylor
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free via Goodreads First Reads.

5 Stars.
I don't always give a book that for many reasons. This was a book that I also was considering a 2 or 3 star rating after the first hundred pages too. The story starts like a mystery and little pieces are revealed as it goes along. I was lost as a reader and this is an important point... I do not speak a word of French. The French dialogue in the book did not help me early on despite the fact it is partially explained afterwards.

Then
Kirsty
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-author, ukya
I found this to be a bit of a slow burner but really enjoyed it by the end. For Holly is another book by Tanya Byrne which kept me guessing and really surprised me. There were niggly things I didn't enjoy which are geniune pet hates of mine in YA of late especially the relationship between Lola and her step mother but other than that I enjoyed it and would recommend to others.
Alisha Tarran
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Okay so, I enjoyed this book, the setting was very well done, I've never actually been to Paris unfortunately but I got a real feel for the place and an idea of what it looks like and so on, as well as some ideas for where to visit if I ever get to go! The book was very authentic, and really helps you to dive in to the world of the book. There were lots of lines in French, and I found myself picking up the odd word or phrase, and after doing the standard school French, I found myself actually en ...more
M
*Received from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review*
description

Going into For Holly I did not really know what to expect, all I knew was the novel was surrounded by the fact that Lola knew a big secret about her step-mother. I was so intrigued by this plot, I was pleased to start reading it, however I was very disappointed. I really like the cover, it is very simple and yet I feel it makes a statement, especially with the yellow.

As for a summary of the plot, I feel you should go into this with
Natasha
Always a twist that I never see coming. Fantastic. The style was easy-flowing and never made me get bored at any point. The story was fast-paced and kept me on my toes. I can't really say anything else until you've read the book. I would recommend it to anyone. Amazing - everything I expected it to be.
Alyssia
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tanya Byrne has been a favourite author of mine ever since I read Heart-Shaped Bruise, her books are always so ... unpredictable and For Holly was no different.
Lola Durand is self-destructing after the death of her mother and her father's sudden remarriage so when she decides to take revenge on her stepmother, Agatha, for convincing her boyfriend to go back to London without her she doesn't realise that her actions could have unintended consequences.

I could really sympathise with Lola. Her moth
Isobel Radakovic
I requested this book because I was so intrigued by the fact that it's set in Paris and I LOVED reading about it! That was probably my favourite part of the book, getting to read all about the shops and just life there. I was also really proud of myself for understanding most of what they were saying when they spoke in French! Normally I don't really like Mystery/Thriller books but I didn't mind it in For Holly. I loved all the family drama; it made me feel like I was reading Gossip Girl or some ...more
Lily Greenslade
Jun 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
The last 100 pages really were the most interesting part of the book. Lola annoyed me and I just didn't get into it until about half way through because of that.
Femke
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Having a 38.8°C fever was a great way to lay in bed and read this book in just a day or so. It’s a very interesting mystery, narrated in the form of letters written by a teenage girl, Lola. It’s quite clear that Lola has done something horrible to someone, but what exactly and mostly what has driven her to do it, is sketched in several letters or a diary written. There’s a lot of interesting plot twists and the author manages to really catch your attention while everything is unraveled. Besides ...more
Tanya
it only got better towards the end, but the ending was worth it
Ellie
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lola’s narrative is written for Holly, addressing the reader as if we were her. Lola clearly feels guilty for something and is writing to this girl who appears absent from the story. Lola takes her time, setting out the sequence of events that led to her wrong-doing.

And as the story progresses, you see that Lola isn’t always truthful with herself. She is acting out on her grief, getting into trouble and getting behind on schoolwork. As an outsider looking in, you can see that her father cares an
Sophie
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-author
Originally published at: http://solittletimeforbooks.blogspot....

As always with Tanya Byrne’s novels, For Holly delivered an intense, beautiful written and tautly paced novel that I never wanted to put down.

For Holly is an incredibly emotional read. It’s only been around six or seven months since Lola’s mum died suddenly and already her dad has moved on. He’s now living in Paris with his cold, hard fashion designer wife whom Lola hates. The story is drowning in thick, choking grief and it only g
nagina
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on OhBookish

For Holly is a quick and entertaining read.

The story follows Lola Dunard as she is forced to stay with her father and stepmother in Paris, during her summer break. As Lola learns of her father’s plans to keep her in Paris permanently and that her stepmother, Agatha, had convinced Lola’s boyfriend to return to London without her, Lola is hellbent on revenge.

I couldn’t help but sympathize with Lola. She had set herself on a self-destructing path afte
Rachel Gilbey
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
4.5 Stars

For Holly, is quite different from other books that I have read. It is written from Lola's perspective, and she is writing a notebook full of her confession, leading up to and around a certain point of time. We hear that very few people know the true story of what occurred, and that the person this is being written for will only be the 6th person to know the truth of the situation. Although a different storytelling style it draws the reader in, and feels quite intimate.

Lola is an angry
Chrissi
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I went into reading For Holly with very high expectations. I expected to really love this book. As I got to the end of the book, I realised I had thoroughly enjoyed reading it but it didn’t captivate me as much as I hoped it would.

As with every Tanya Byrne book I have read, I didn’t read too much about the book. I’ve found it’s easier to go into her books without knowing too much. I had read the plot, and knew that there was a big secret to be revealed. I was excited to see what the secret woul
Chloe Stout
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This book is brilliant.

The story starts, unfortunately, slow and took me a while to get into this amazing story and this is (one of the reasons) why it only got four stars. However, with that said, the pace picks up very quickly and I love everything about it.

The diary/letter format of this book is one of the best I've seen and I love the fact Byrne has decided to have Lola acknowledge the fact that she's writing a book and not a series of letters. It's such a clever idea and one that's been w
Ameya
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Lola in Paris
Seventeen-year-old Lola Durand is grieving for her mother who died six-to-seven months prior. She recently moved to Paris apparently against her will, where she lives with her father and new stepmother, famous designer, Agatha Abbott. The remarriage of her doctor father within 3 months of her mother dying has caused Lola’s attitude to reach a low point. She is aggressive, withdrawn and antisocial. For example, Lola refers to her stepmother in her presence as ‘Cruella de Ville.’

Lola
Natalie TBGWP
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
What a twisted and fucked up story. Seriously though. Right from the start it's confusing, harsh and not at all what I thought I was getting from the blurb. That really irks me by the way. I really hate blurbs that are so inviting but with books that hold no significance to it. This one however, I can let go because it really is a great book.

Told by seventeen year old Lola Durand as she pens out a letter to Holly. The letter a deep and emotional tale which include her most inner thoughts, and th
Reiki Harts
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I love Tanya's writing and since I've read all of her book I just thought that this one doesn't have the ending that it deserves. Well sure it was unexpected but not surprising as I thought the plot twist would be. even as the book is a few pages near to an end, I still wish that it was more than this. that Tanya could've make Holly's character come to life and how she really is in person instead of some stranger. Maybe I have too much expectation because I've been waiting for this book since la ...more
Lesley
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book did not blow me away. Pun not intended. It was okay, but I guessed the secret really quickly and didn't care enough to be interested by the later twist. Also, please stop putting things like "with a wholly unexpected final twist" in your cover blurbs. Seriously. Stop it.

Maybe I'm being mean because it was set in Paris and I have a COMPLETELY RATIONAL loathing of Paris, but honestly it didn't do anything for me.
Kate (GirlReading)
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I have to admit I was slightly disappointed in this book. I was so excited to read it as the reviews were brilliant, describing it as a 'psychological jigsaw' and 'gorgeously dark and twisted' but for me personally it didn't live up to those expectations. I just think the ending was a bit of an anti climax. That being said, I did enjoy 'For Holly' I just feel that the reviews of it being a 'thriller' were a bit misleading.
Chelsey Tibbitts
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love Tanya Byrne and all her books but this one was definitely my favourite! I didn't expect the ending and it was intriguing enough to make you want to read it all in one day. There was speech in French which was abit annoying because it wasn't always explained and was hard to grasp what they were saying without looking it up which delayed reading but still loved it and would definitely recommend!
Ella
Dec 26, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Hold on a second.
Tanya Byrne is writing another book?!
Heart-Shaped Bruise and Follow Me Down were INCREDIBLE. I mean, really incredible. And the twists... Ms. Byrne, you can write. You are an amazing writer.
This is awesome stuff.
I OFFICIALLY CAN'T WAIT.
Jess
DNF

Got bored around page 100.
Will pick up again in the future.
Jenni
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stunning, absolutely loved it. Full review to come.
Philippa
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Lots of twists and turns. Byrne really draws you into the novel. Enjoyable but not as good as Heart Shaped Bruise and Follow Me Down.
Helen Wilson
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I loved this book. I could feel the pain of the writer and the twists and turns through the intrinsically linked storyline. Well recommended.

• All of the Above
  • I'll Be Home for Christmas
  • Cuckoo
  • Songs About Us (Songs About A Girl, #2)
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Unconventional
  • Boys for Beginners
  • Boy Kills Man
  • The Zigzag Effect
Tanya was born in London where she still lives with her cat who goes by several names, none of which he actually answers to. After eight years working for BBC Radio, she left to write her debut novel, Heart-Shaped Bruise, which is out in May. She has a weakness for boys with guitars, drinks far too much tea and even though her mother tells her not to, she always talks to strangers.
“Everyone deserves someone they don't have to explain themselves to.” 1 likes
“I know love isn't enough, that you can love someone with every bit of yourself and still fuck it up beyond repair. And that's okay because sometimes they're your one but you're not their one, which is kind of cruel, but what can you do?” 1 likes