Start by marking “Soundings: Water Elemental (Elementals #2)” as Want to Read:
Soundings: Water Elemental (Elementals #2)

Read Book

Soundings: Water Elemental

(Elementals #2)

Is there hope for a grieving mother’s heart?

Ecopsychologist Dr. Margo Updike loses herself in a shadow life after her daughter’s tragic death. When a century storm deposits a young girl on Maggie’s secluded beach in Puget Sound, a miraculous renewal begins. Then the apparent orphan exhibits signs of neglect and worse, prompting Maggie’s vow to protect and heal her—no matte
Paperback
Published February 2015 by Booktrope Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Soundings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soundings

Start your review of Soundings: Water Elemental (Elementals #2)
Deborah Hickey
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*I was provided a complementary copy in exchange for an honest review.

Could you survive the loss of a child?
While this sounds like the opening premise of a very depressing story. Soundings: Water Elemental has some tear jerking moments, but they are mixed with mystery, love, lust, humor and a cast of colorful characters. This book is at moments delightful and light, but wrapped in more than one mystery that will bring you to the threshold of madness.
Set in the Puget Sound, the author describes t
Charlotte Cyprus
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-recommended
Just by looking at the cover, you can kinda tell what the little girl's "secret" is. However, that kind of thing would be hard to write as an actual secret, so I'm not saying it's a bad thing. But to drag is out after the little girl eats goldfish... There's a seal on the cover. We all know it's selkies.

The first hint of the love triangle made me want the throw my hands up in frustration. It was obvious who Maggie would end up with the whole time.

My biggest problem with the book was the use of p
Margaret Transue
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Do not pick up this book! I repeat, do not pick up this book, unless of course, you want an amazing read.
Janine Donoho has written a great book with one big story and three sub stories all blended seamlessly into great read.
You will find love, sex, murder, PTSD, paranormal, fantasy and two dogs all in one great read.
I fell in love with Janine's characters. The two main characters, Maggie and Sheriff "Jax", with the secondary characters, Dr. Precious Little (an Inuit woman), Eli (Jax"s brother wi
Beate
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Soundings: Water Elemental

Water Elemental is a magical book about love, loss and the ongoing search for truth and the self.
Maggie has lost her daughter in a tragic accident and tries to cope with the situation. One day, she finds Sorcha, a girl so very sweet and Maggie wants to adopt her, as she reminds Maggie of her own daughter. Then a man comes along and claims to be her dad. While Maggie searches for the truth she finds that Sorcha and her "dad" have a powerful, magical secret.
Magical realis
Irene Adam
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. The story begins with finding the body of a child on the beach. Once I started reading I couldn’t put it down. The author does an excellent job of developing a wide range of characters of all ages with some surprises. You’ll find a little bit of everything ranging from folklore, the ocean, a little magic, sex, body art, PTSD, and serial murders. The author is a very descriptive and visual writer. I recommend reading ...more
Kayla Batz
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
The story is captivating and sometimes confusing with wording but nonetheless, inciting. I enjoyed that each character were their own person and unique which made the story better. It has to do a lot with loss and growth which can relate any reader but she does it in a way that can't take your eyes away from the page. You connect with the characters and its like you share the moments with the people in the book. It almost seemed magical. Overall, very riveting and good read!
D.M.
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This was an enjoyable story right from the beginning. The author did an excellent job building the suspense of the story. Her characters were well developed. I loved the mythical fantasy mixed with romance and thriller. It has been one of my favorite reads this year and is a book I know I'll read again.
Page by page, Ms. Donoho draws you into this charming story. The ending was perfect. I highly recommend this book for a great summer read.
Cindy
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
*received for free through Goodreads First Reads

At times the writing got in the way of the storytelling for me, as though the author had to show off her word-play versus engaging me in the plot. That being said I did like the premise and was interested enough in the fantasy elements to keep reading.
Emily
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A magical tale of love and wonder, loss, murder and redemption. In the style of Sarah Addison Allen and Mercedes Lackey. A story that stays with you long after the books been read.
Vanya D.
Erin
Kimberly
Brianna
Mar 09, 2015
Making Connections: 3616. - SOUNDINGS: Water Elemental by Janine Donoho 1 20 Jan 25, 2015 06:53AM
Award-winning writer Janine Donoho grew up navigating extremes—perhaps due to the ups and downs of her San Franciscan birthplace. That Escher landscape primed her to embrace imaginary worlds. With one foot planted in fuzzy science and the other in invented realms, she occupies the land of What If. Published in novel-length and short fiction, along with essays, Janine pursues the thumps that echo i ...more

Elementals (2 books)