Start by marking “Ninja & Their Secret Fighting Art” as Want to Read:
Ninja & Their Secret Fighting Art

Ninja & Their Secret Fighting Art

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  263 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews

In feudal Japan, ninja warriors were credited with supernatural powers of invisibility and ways of learning any secret. They also were feared for their skill in espionage and assassination. Behind these legends is the reality of an ancient, sophisticated, highly systematic martial art: ninjutsu. Perhaps the least understood martial art of Japan, ninjutsu emphasizes natural

Published December 15th 1989 by Tuttle Publishing (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Ninja & Their Secret Fighting Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ninja & Their Secret Fighting Art

Mike
Mar 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hayes has long been one of America's foremost authorities, or at least foremost writers, on ninjutsu and ninjas. My feelings on the man and his writing are mixed: on the one hand, he's written a great deal and he's spent a lot of time in Japan studying under some of the greatest living ninjutsu masters. He ought to know whereof he speaks, certainly. On the other hand, he rose to fame during the ninja frenzy of the 1980s and a lot of his writing has a New Age style of overwrought prose and absurd ...more
Amy Holiday
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this one up purely for research purposes. The opening story was neat, but after the first history chapters, the early chapters on fighting were not what I was really looking for. I know, I know, it says "fighting art" in the title, but a lot of time passed between the time I found it and the time I started reading it, and my interests and purpose had changed. Oops.

I had given up and came back to write a review, but some of the other reviews mentioned the last chapter being interesting, t
Bridget
Found this for sale at Tattered Cover for $5. It was so worth it. There are photos throughout, and it was a surprisingly engaging read for a book I bought just because of its title and cover (which is not the same cover that Goodreads is showing, sadly). My only issue is that it's not a very detail specific book as far as history goes. There are moments when the author mentions a battle, but instead of describing it in any detail, he just kind of says: and then they won! I wanted a bit more hist ...more
P.J. Ferguson
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephen K. Hayes is an amazing Man and Martial Artist! His books are very deep but always written is plain English and more importantly written for Westerns! Stephen K. Hayes as always stated that his Books where never meant to teach the art but for away of Westerns to gain insight into the Art and as a platform for Westerns to seek proper instruction.
This book is a great way to get information and gain an basic understanding of the Art and its History and there are some great life lessons in h
Outmind
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75/5

An American martial artist describes being outclassed by some of the last remaining masters of ninjutsu. Throw in a pro forma history lesson and the beginnings of actual ninja teachings, and you have this book.
Chad
Apr 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Very informative. Began my lifelong quest in the martial arts.
Averill
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: martial-arts
Good little book, reminds me of my childhood when i really believed i was a ninja. The last chapter on the spirit of the ninja is my favorite.
Hamza
i am going to be best fight in the world
Marina Andreou
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: martial-arts
very brilliant book!! finished it in one day! couldn't stop reading! if you're a fan of the ninja tradition and ninjutsu you will definately love this book!!
Simon B
Jul 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: The jaded or apathetic athlete
Recommended to Simon by: no-one
Shelves: martial-arts
A great starting point to learn about the ninja. As far as I know this is THE source book which introduced ninja as they are, were and continue to be to America (?the west?).
  • Ninjutsu History and Tradition
  • Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: Skill in Techniques, Vol. 3
  • In the Dojo: A Guide to the Rituals and Etiquette of the Japanese Martial Arts
  • Kodokan Judo: The Essential Guide to Judo by Its Founder Jigoro Kano
  • The Zen Way to Martial Arts: A Japanese Master Reveals the Secrets of the Samurai
  • The Samurai Series: The Book of Five Rings, Hagakure -The Way of the Samurai & Bushido - The Soul of Japan
  • Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Technique
  • Wing Chun Kung Fu
  • A Brief History of the Samurai (Brief History (Running Press))
  • Secrets of the Samurai: The Martial Arts of Feudal Japan
  • Budo: Teachings of the Founder of Aikido
  • Secrets Of The Ninja
  • Legends of the Samurai
819069
Stephen K. Hayes has spent his entire adult life in the pursuit of perfection through the study of the Asian martial arts and spiritual traditions, living and traveling throughout North America, Japan, Europe, the Arctic, China, Tibet, Nepal, and India.

Promoting the benefits of Life Mastery Through Martial Arts, he travels the world as teacher, seminar leader, and lecturer, inspiring others by tra
More about Stephen K. Hayes...
“We human beings choose to see things as we wish . Few people seem to believe this, though. We decide to be jealous, or angry, or depressed, or happy, or bored, and these choices are often based on our biased interpretations of the thoughts of others. It is amazing how much psychological control many people relinquish to others. If we think that someone else disapproves of us, we are worried. If we think that someone else is pleased with us, we are happy. If we think that someone else holds views contrary to our own, we are insulted. If we think that someone else is contemptuous of us, we are angry. With all these others determining how we feel, it is sometimes difficult to find the actual self.” 1 likes