Start by marking “The Legend of Lyon Redmond (Pennyroyal Green, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Lyon Redmond (Pennyroyal Green, #11)

The Legend of Lyon Redmond

(Pennyroyal Green #11)

Bound by centuries of bad blood, England’s two most powerful families maintain a veneer of civility...until the heir to the staggering Redmond fortune disappears, reviving rumors of an ancient curse: a Redmond and an Eversea are destined to fall disastrously in love once per generation.

An enduring legend

Rumor has it she broke Lyon Redmond’s heart. But while many a man has
Published September 29th 2015 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Lyon Redmond, please sign up.
Head in the clouds Me too! She basically pined away for him for years while he has been sleeping his way around the world - and now she finally has a chance at a new…moreMe too! She basically pined away for him for years while he has been sleeping his way around the world - and now she finally has a chance at a new happiness - why the hell shouldn't she take it?!(less)
Irene This question will be moot in about a wk's time but....
As a follow up -
This question will be moot in about a wk's time but....
As a follow up -
If Lyon has been traipsing around the world seeking evidence for or against the dad for the last 6(?) years and has been having sex with other women (for whatever reason-attraction or itch). I find the idea annoying that Olivia would be treated by the author as someone kept in a box on the shelf waiting for years until the hero achieved his goal while he was free to do what he wanted.
Does this mean that in the years that she has been with Lansdowne, she's been able to keep herself emotionally distant from him-despite accepting his proposal - and has continued to "save" herself for Lyon because of her love for him?
And if so, what about Lyon?
I know, I know, men in those days were not expected to be faithful and it's "different" for men (argh!) but we're talking about a man who left his family for the woman that he loved - to prove that he was worthy as well as possibly clear the father's name.
And yes, I know that women were expected to be chaste but she was a mature woman and not a virginal 18-22 year old and I know that they're expected to have a deep love for them before having sex (sigh!) I can't recall if whether or not her and Lyon might have had sex but I'm assuming so.
My point is - after this rant :) - that I hope they are on some sort of equal footing and not that he's got a get out of jail free card because they were not actually engaged and were apart for x amount of years.

Thanks for reading.
Irene (less)

sraxe
Up until the 60% mark, I was honestly really enjoying this. I thought this would be a 5-star read for me. And then this happened:

There had been pleasure since then, some of it extraordinary, some of it memorable, all of it mindless, in the arms of other women.

Give me a fucking break. I felt so very I-was-rooting-for-you-we-were-all-rooting-for-you at this point.

The author even uses the ever-cliched "but he never loved any of them!!" business by saying it wasn't love with those women, that word w
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
5 stars, was there any doubt? I will say though, it's a 5 star rating put into the context of the journey you take if you read every book in the series. Taken on its own, I would have probably given it somewhere in the range of 4 stars.

Men will do things for women they wouldn’t otherwise in their right minds do.
No one knew that better than Lyon.

The Redmonds and the Everseas have been the staunch adversaries of Pennyroyal Green ever since 1066 and a cow argument, or so history murkily relays.
Jill
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it

A solid, but not outstanding finish to the Pennyroyal Green series, which has been generally good overall, some hits, some misses, with some really enjoyable reads and others like this one, pretty average.

My favourite remains A Notorious Countess Confesses - I like the trope - and also What I Did For a Duke, How the Marquess Was Won and It Happened One Midnight.

Briefly...Maybe I was expecting too much, but overall it was a pretty average read. I didn't feel a great love story
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
**4 Can't Believe the Series is Over Stars**

The Pennyroyal Green series is a long series with some amazing books and one of my favorite HRs to date:What I Did For a Duke. Fans of this series have been waiting a mighty long time for Lyon and Olivia's happy ending.

I'm a sucker for second chance romance and I really liked the suspense in this story, the waiting of the moment when they finally meet again. The dialogue was witty, sensual and beautiful. I did feel like this was a bit wordy at times,
Jilly
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
You know when you watch a television show and they do like a recap or walk down memory lane and you're feeling all cheated because it's not really a new show and you feel a bit tricked into watching it? They always tell you they are including new material or never before seen footage. Like that helps...

It was like that a bit.

We started this series knowing that Lyon Redmond has been missing for years because Olivia Eversea broke his heart. Then, in all of the subsequent books, we see Olivia turni
Zoe
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very, very, very angry at this book.

That almost cost the book the 4th star. I am so disappointed. I can honestly say that I have never been this disappointed by a book before.

I need to calm down before I write a coherent review. Did I mention that I am disappointed?

OK I wrote a looooong review after I had cooled down my disappointment. Only to lose it all because of a cruel trick Google Chrome played on me. I don't know whether I have it in me to re-write all that, but I shall try.

Anyone
SidneyKay
Oct 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Bips99
Mar 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
This has to be the most disappointing book of the year for me

... the back story of them falling in love felt like just a teenage infatuation .. nothing that would inspire years of waiting ... the reason they separated was lamely done ... And when they met (after 45% of the book i think) - it was just all about lust. They have like a 30 second conversation and poof! all anger gone .. and what was the epilogue all about ? ... To those who have followed the books, there was a hint of the idea that
♥ℳelody
What a difference a story makes. My second JAL book and much better than my last experience. Yes there were still typos abound but the overall writing was much tighter and cleaner and a couple that actually grabbed my interest. So there's that. While I enjoyed this there were a few things that definitely could have been better or had me scratching my head.

1. How old were Lyon and Olivia when they first met and fell in love? That unanswered question kind of drove me nuts. I really wish the autho
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
This just hits three stars. I said that it was going to be tough for JAL to manage the follow through on this series and, for me, she hasn't managed it.

~Spoilers below~

JAL's set herself a gargantuan task. In only about 100,000 words [I think that the length of your average romance?!] she had to convince us Lyon and Olivia are in love and meant for one another to the extent they'd shape their whole lives around mourning the loss of one another for years. Then she has to find a plausible reason t
Daniella
Oct 02, 2015 marked it as hr-purgatory  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to my HR Purgatory shelf !

In Roman Catholicism, the purgatory is where the souls of the dead wander in an indefinite state. They stay in such a state unless they "become fit for heaven" at some point. Similarly, this shelf is where books that I am warned about stay—untouched and unread—unless a very compelling reason forces me to read them.

***

Reason(s) for putting The Legend of Lyon Redmond in this shelf:
LOL. There are so many things I find problematic about both the hero and the hero
StMargarets
I finally got around to reading this one and I can see why so many hated it. Turns out the big romance of the series - that endured for 11 books - was a case of teenage infatuation and the hero being angry the heroine wouldn't run off with him to live a life of poverty and danger.

When the hero finds out the heroine - after pining for him for five years - is going to marry a fine upstanding man, he kidnaps her, takes her virginity (with her willing consent) and then drops her off after a week, t
Iliada
Just to write a few brief words about this one... Was this the best book in the series as I fully expected? Not for me. Was it all I expected? No. And why? I believe because writers work under a specific word limit, but I'm afraid it doesn't work for all stories. This could have seriously benefited from 100 or more pages. I felt that it all went too fast (both the past and the present). Maybe JAL should have focused on either one or the other because none was 100% satisfying as things stand.

BUT
Kat at Book Thingo
Updated to add: I've been looking at some of the comments about people's expectations for this book. I can't wait for you guys to read it because I think it's going to blow a lot of your assumptions wide open! I think this is one of the best series finales I've read (although as I mention below, I would have preferred it without the epilogue and I very rarely say such a thing!). I can't wait to read your thoughts after reading the book!

Review to come. But here are my initial thoughts about the b
Crysallys
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Only 4 stars because the epilogue was not about Olivia and Lyon

After all the years we waited for this book I think readers deserved a better epilogue
Sam (AMNReader)
I would take any one of the Redmond children to marry, I'm just saying. They are my favorite.

I found this kind of over the top but in that characteristic JAL way. So I loved it. I read her for the romancey romance fluffy feels (and I loved that all right up until one of the final scenes), but, hell that epilogue trash.

When I'm in the mood for hearts and flowers in my eyes and writing, she is pretty fantastic. Thought this was super satisfying conclusion even if I wanted a little more...
Keri
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this book a higher star rating had the ending been longer. We have been waiting years for these two and we just get a couple of pages in the end. :-( I didn't mind the Epi, because I got why JAL did it that way, so she could bring everybody in on fell swoop. I think the decisions that both Lyon and Olivia made were decisions of young, immature people. They were both new to what they were feeling and decisions were made in the heat of the moment on both their sides. They were b ...more
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
ETA: To be clear, 3.5 rounded up to 4, rounded up, rather than down, only because author has written some really beautiful books, some of my favourites.

That was a really enjoyable close to the Pennyroyal Green series. Like most people reading this series over such a long time I was keen to finally hear the real story of Olivia and Lyon. Whilst I did love Olivia and Lyon together, I had some difficulties with the story, which I thought the writer could have overcome and it seemed a little in retr
Esther
This was incredible. I've just completed this beautiful love story and my emotions are all over the place.

I'm not really going to go into a review on the synonymous of the story but just what my thoughts and feelings are about this incredible book.

Olivia and Lyon's story is one of forbidden love, in as both families have been rivalries for what seems like forever. The story is interwoven with past and present.It begins in the present with Olivia the heroine preparing for her wedding to a man she
Addie H
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
(Tropes: Second Chance, Forbidden Love)

description

I did not expect to like this. Which is quite unfair when starting a book, but the characters in this book has been talked about in the 10 previous ones, so expectations were high. How could it possibly deliver?

Well it just did.

The flashbacks and “present” story were rife with charm, despair, hotness, tension and romance. I was more or less hooked from page one, and while I did not necessarily think what caused them to first part was serious enough, I deci
Ash
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid read.
My only complaint is that this is the end for there are too many stories that I still want to know.
Alex Morrison
Update 12/4/2015 - Rating lowered to 4. I just can't ignore the problems I have with this book. As time passes they seem to intensify in my mind. Still well worth the read!

To illustrate how much I was anticipating this book, I will share that this was the first time I've ever bought a physical copy of a historical romance. Barnes & Noble decided to shelve it a few days early and when I heard that, I raced over to pick up a copy with only minimal checkout embarrassment. With that said, this e
Em
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Susana

Warning: Some mild spoilers ahead.

Although I've read almost all the books in this series _ that's right, I still haven't read the famous book about Violet _, only a small number of them are actually favourites.
Normally the more recent ones... but as you can see it isn't a done deal.

My indisputable favourite still is, What I did For a Duke . Compared with Genevieve and Falconbridge's romance, Lyon and Olivia are just forgettable secondary characters.

As much as I wanted, I just couldn't care a
Pj Ausdenmore
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
UPS delivered a review copy of THE LEGEND OF LYON REDMOND to my doorstep this evening. It's now 1:40 am and I just turned the final page with a deep and heartfelt sigh. When you long for a story for more than six years there's always a concern that it won't measure up to expectations. I needn't have worried. Julie Anne Long has outdone herself with a book that is exquisitely written, achingly romantic, heartbreakingly poignant, and supremely satisfying. It is everything I could have hoped for. A ...more
Ashley
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
My attempt at more coherent thoughts:

This book wasn't perfect but there were parts of it that were. I wish that I could give this five stars, because if I come back to the Pennyroyal Green books, this will be the one I pick up first. (view spoiler)
Natalie
This was a sweeping, grand love story, the one we've all been waiting for. It's a fitting, lovely, wonderful conclusion to the Pennyroyal Green series.

What I think this book did really well was how it made use of all the elements of the Second Chance Romance Trope really well. Lyon and Olivia HAD to have that time apart, they had to grow as people away from each other, they had to mature, learn from their mistakes, and only then when they time came again for them, they would be ready to be toget
Lizzy
May 27, 2015 rated it liked it
It's rainig heavily outside, but I have just finished a light and enjoyable romance, so I could almost forget the weather outside! I quite enjoyed Lyon and Olivia’s beautiful love story, despite the slow beginning (in all likelihood inevitable). Often poignant, at time sorrowful, and at last triumphant. Nevertheless The Legend of Lyon Redmont was a great end to the Pennyroyal Green series.

‘I can’t remember the last time I so egregiously abandoned my manners. It’s just that I… that it seemed im
Dabney
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-2015-books
There will be a review later closer to the date but let me say Ms. Long wrote the book I've longed for since I Kissed an Earl.
Nastassja

There are certain books in our lives that make us suffer. They are vicious in their relentless pursuit to make us feel every bit of emotions MCs feel in these books. The Legend of Lyon Redmond was created to torture me. Seriously! While reading it I was at first bored with how slow things started, then I was irritated, then furious, then sad, then happy, and in the end my mind was beyond thinking, just sheer feels. A roller-caster of emotions. One emotion stifled by another so abruptl

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 8 Apr 18, 2015 10:51AM

• The Highlander's Desire (Highlander Brothers, #2)
  • The Lie and the Lady (Winner Takes All, #2)
  • Scandal Takes the Stage (The Wicked Quills of London, #2)
  • Lady Anne’s Lover
  • How to be a Scottish Mistress
  • Tempting the Bride (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #3)
  • Luck Be a Lady (Rules for the Reckless, #4)
  • Seducing Mr. Knightly (The Writing Girls, #4)
  • The Duke and the Lady in Red (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #3)
  • In Bed with the Viking Warrior (Viking Warriors #3)
  • When a Marquess Loves a Woman (Season's Original #3)
  • One With the Shadows (Companion, #5)
  • A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong (Blackshear Family, #0.5)
  • The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4)
  • The Duke of Dark Desires (The Wild Quartet, #4)
  • A Song at Twilight (A Song at Twilight, #1)
  • A Dangerous Beauty (Widows Club, #1)
  • Hot Summer Lust
Well, where should I start? I've lived in San Francisco for more than a decade, usually with at least one cat. I won the school spelling bee when I was in 7th grade; the word that clinched it was 'ukulele.' I originally set out to be a rock star when I grew up (I had a Bono fixation, but who didn't?), and I have the guitars and the questionable wardrobe stuffed in the back of my closet to prove it ...more

Pennyroyal Green (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Perils of Pleasure (Pennyroyal Green, #1)
  • Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)
  • Since the Surrender (Pennyroyal Green, #3)
  • I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green, #4)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • How the Marquess Was Won (Pennyroyal Green, #6)
  • A Notorious Countess Confesses (Pennyroyal Green, #7)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • Between the Devil and Ian Eversea (Pennyroyal Green, #9)
  • It Started With a Scandal (Pennyroyal Green, #10)
“I have learned that everyone else in the world is boring except you.” 5 likes
“Before him and since he’d gone away, she’d either contracted or ever-so-subtly contorted her very being to accommodate nearly everybody else. She was only ever wholly herself with him.” 5 likes