Start by marking “Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids” as Want to Read:
Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids

Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids

(Runaways #8)

Running out of time

Rebellious teens Nico, Chase, Karolina, Molly, Victor and Xavin are survivors. All children of super-villains, they turned agaist their evil elders to become aamateur super heroes. But when the authorities chase them out of Los Angeles, the Runaways forge an uneasy alliance with East Coast crime boss Kingpin, placing them on a collision course with the k
Hardcover, Premier, 152 pages
Published July 23rd 2008 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Runaways, Vol. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaways, Vol. 8

Terry
Sep 29, 2008 rated it liked it
I would have liked this more if Joss Whedon's name on the cover had been larger.
Chad
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Joss Whedon comes on board to write the last arc of the series. It's a darker tone as the Runaways head to New York and make a deal with the Kingpin. It's a little rough around the edges at first but after the first issue Whedon gets a handle on the characters. Whedon sets up Terry Moore's run by bringing in some new members and shaking up some of the relationships. I like Michael Ryan's turn on art. He has a heavier, darker line and use of shadow but still manages a detailed, organic look.
Paul E. Morph
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
It takes him a couple of issues to find his feet but, ultimately, Joss Whedon proves he could’ve been a worthy successor to BKV on the Runaways. A shame he only stuck around for six issues, really.

Michael Ryan’s artwork is very nice, too.
Scarlet Cameo
Ok, i need to say two things about this volumen, first...I love the covers, i mean look this

(This is my favorite)

The second is about the history...Well i like the story, in fact have really great things (time traveling, new characters, change of place) but, i think that something of the essence is missing, I can't say what, but something isn't working for me. Even more I like what JW does with Chase, is less silly and more interesting, but I in the fact that he uses Gert for this history.

The fi
Nicolo Yu
Dec 25, 2013 rated it liked it
So Brian K Vaughan left his creation The Runaways to concentrate on other writing work not in Marvel but before he left, he endorsed to the one man he trusted his babies with, Joss Whedon.

It was great that Marvel and Whedon were able to hammer out the details to allow him to work on Runaways despite his heavy workload. Michael Ryan was drafted to provide art and Jo Chen was retained to produce her magnificent covers.

I really liked how Whedon managed to maintain BKV's vision for the characters w
Don
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Um. Was only okay. Joss definitely has the kids' dialogue and personalities down - but boy was there WAY, WAY too much going on in this story! Dozens of new characters allied in multiple factions, at least two time periods, a largely extraneous first act.... You kind of get the feeling that the story was something Joss had thought up separately and then shoehorned the Runaways into as simply an excuse to tell it.

Not *bad* per se, but ... weirdly confusing.

David Schaafsma
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just now read this, wanted to see what Joss Whedon would do with Brian Vaughn's series, as I see them as the two best writers in this kinda stuff alive. I had just read Fray (after all these years of it being out there) but this is better, crisper, with the sort of on-fire imagination brings to transform a project. We go back in time in this series (think: steampunk fashion and tech, okay, so hip...) But I liked it a lot. Entertaining series, with a twist, for teens.
Sesana
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Something is missing here. The previous volume ended with Iron man standing in the Runaways' hideout in LA. This one opens with them trying to hide out in New York City. Something happened between one issue and the next. Crossover event? Probably. Sigh.

It isn't really necessary to know what happened there to understand the story here, thank goodness. One of the best things that I can say about Whedon taking on the book is that he writes the characters in almost exactly the same way that Vaughan
RJ
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, queer, ya
I am one of these annoying people who only picked this up because it was written by Joss Whedon. I'm also a (queer, feminist, disgruntled) comics fan, and completely confused as to how I never heard of this title until Whedon wrote an arch of it.

If you're here because you're a Whedon fan, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It has all of his hallmarks: funny quotable dialogue, a complex but tight-knit plot, cultural references that make you feel smart (Yellow Kid as a turn of the century super
Emily
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, marvel
If you're jumping into Runways just because of Joss Whedon do yourself a favor and stop, go back and start with book one. It's worth it. Discover Brian K. Vaughan. He's a wonderful writer and this is a great series. Heck, Joss Whedon took over writing because he was a fan of Runaways!

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I wish Whedon hadn't taken over writing Runaways. There was just something off about the story and the characters. I can't put my finger on it.

The story was a little all o
Caitlin
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I've loved Joss Whedon since Firefly and while this was well-written, this series has honestly gone downhill since volume two. If you read this series, stop at this one because it only gets worse. In volume 8, the Runaways make a deal with the Kingpin and are sent back in time. I really enjoyed seeing their struggles in the past with people uncomfortable with them and the war that was being waged all around them by vigilante groups on the streets. The artwork was great and I enjoyed the story, a ...more
Kaitlin
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I hate Joss Whedon. He ruins everything he touches. This plot didn't make any sense, it ignored the storyline that happened before it. It introduced new characters that were meaningless and had so much going on I had no idea what was happening. All the time travel (done incorrectly) and the different gangs with vaguely offensive names didn't help. The Runaways that Brian K. Vaughan created would NEVER work for the Kingpin. Victor wouldn't cheat on Nico and the girls wouldn't call another girl a ...more
Dan
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Time travel shenanigans.
Lorna
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel, spanish
Runaways Vol.8 (#25-#30) Dead end kids : ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5 (4.5/5)

Joss Whedon hizo un respetable trabajo al tomar el mando de los Runaways. En este nuevo volumen el team se enfrenta a conocidos como The Punisher y Kingpin e integran nuevos fugitivos. Un gran final.

Rating por número
#30: ⭐⭐⭐⭐.5 (4.5/5)
Ana ☾
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, read-in-english
3.5 I liked it but not as much as the previous volumes.
Murphy
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This volume is the last in its series and sadly it's fairly mediocre. The plot isn't amazing and only a few of the introduced side characters manage to be interesting but I did enjoy the bittersweet ending.

Pieces of the dialog were really cringeworthy, which I guess I should have expected given the writer but I definitely could have done without the racist and lgbtphobic words and themes used. I'm not quite sure why stories set in the past are so often written to shallowly highlight the amount
Ryan Mishap
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
So, like a dummy, I got this because Joss Whedon wrote it without having read any of the others. So why should I know what in the hell is going on?

Premise is awesome: children of super-villains decide they don't want to be evil and take off, hence the title.

This has many of the Joss Whedon traits, but, again, dummy didn't know the story so it wasn't all that fun.

The situation The Punisher finds himself in is fucking hilarious, though, so I can't say this was a waste. Must go back and start from
Nick
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a tire-fire. The ending of Vaughn's run would had worked as a satisfying end but for some reason Marvel decided to continue on. Instead of dealing with the actual interesting plot points that were left to tie up, Whedon decided to blast everyone 100 years in the past so he could ignore the existing storyline, have everyone act completely out of character or bench half the team for the remaining issues, and add a bunch of insignificant new characters that never get fully developed. Every ...more
James
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comicbooks, dc-marvel
Fun book. Good costumes for 1907. I liked The Punisher cameo, it was quite comical.
Joana Veríssimo
It was exciting to finally read something from Joss Whedon, I've watched a lot from him, but never read any, and this was good, fun and different :)
Also very interesting to see the Punisher - I LOVED him in season 2 on Daredevil, I haven't yet watched the show, but then I checked a Punisher comic and I didn't really like it, but I liked him in this one!!
And I really like how Xavin is being developed in this volume!! And YEAH!! Someone new!!! And a bit of the past too :D
Lil' Violet
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Runaways vol 8 #25-30 dead end kids
Art: A new artist this time the art is more how you would picture an American comic and yet still tolerable for manga fans although some parts not so much. The style is realistic cartoonish as in you can tell it's cartoony but this doesn't have the same flare as Eric Wight's work. the art work is plain enough that its tolerable for manga fans that has got to count for something B-

Characters: The group is all here and while no one really changes much they do su
Blythe Penland
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this compilation was truly a change in pace for the Runaways. This is the first story line that was not written by Brian K. Vaughan and that is quite evident. Now, that doesn't mean I didn't like it because I thoroughly enjoyed it. It just felt a lot lengthier than the other novels. There was a bunch of stuff packed into this volume. And I'll attempt to get to it all in this review. Gert's death still remains more prevalent than ever, and as much as I love the tributes to her, can you ...more
Max
Sep 20, 2010 rated it liked it
I kinda hate this run and Joss Whedon for killing the Runaways and all the misplaced hype he brought to the book, just to write a 6 issue run over the course of about a year and then ditch the title. Runaways always had worries about cancellation and his follow up to BKV's run should have brought the book to wider attention and greater sales. Instead it got cancelled.

But, all things considered, the story arc in the volume was overall pretty good and Whedon was able to keep the feeling and voice
jess
Mar 20, 2009 rated it liked it
I got this from the library one night when I attempted to ensure I didn't miss any of the Buffy comics available from our fine public library. Joss Whedon writing for Marvel and I missed it entirely? Hmprgh! I had never read any of the earlier Runaways from Brian Vaughn, but the story wasn't difficult to pick up. The Runaways are the kids of the Pride (a group of Marvel villians). They realize their parents are bad guys, try to turn over a new leaf and make some mighty pledges for justice and go ...more
Scott
I really like the Runaways series, and I would say I am totally gaybones for Whedon (that's a mixture of 30 Rock reference and profession of my love for Joss).
However, I was disappointed by this volume, collecting Runaways issues 25-30, the group begins by following in the parents footsteps (working for the villian Kingpin), being attacked by Punisher (who gets kicked in the nuts (HILARIOUS!)), and going back to 1907 where they meet early superheroes called Wonders. But it's not very coherrent,
Get X Serious
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Whedon was definitely the best possible successor to this series. Still the same flavor with a subtle twist. Also, I can't help but smile like a total idiot whenever bits and pieces of the larger Marvel universe make an appearance, especially if they do so just for the writer to poke fun at... i.e. Punisher getting punched in the stomach by an adolescent girl and it being his undoing.
Mark
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Joss Whedon takes over the story line for this volume, and sends our heroes back to New York circa 1907. He creates parallel characters in the past to stand in for The Punisher, Kingpin and others, as well as the inevitable grand melee between the various factions. Fun stuff!
Kaethe
Joss Whedon writes a script that takes us back to the turn of the last century in New York. Steampunk clothes, social issues of the day, and fighting other teams of super-powered folk. Fun.

Library copy.
dara
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it
So much overlap with the marvel universe that I fear I'm missing out with my limited knowledge.
Virginia
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Classic Whedon dialog. Enjoyable (even with all the time-travel tropes) and fun to read. Nico, as usual, AWESOME.
  • Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast (Runaways, #7)
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong
  • X-23, Vol. 2: Chaos Theory
  • Invincible, Vol. 4: Head of the Class
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 7: Perfect Pitch
  • Runaways: Battleworld
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'

Runaways (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Pride and Joy (Runaways, #1)
  • Runaways, Vol. 2:  Teenage Wasteland (Runaways, #2)
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young (Runaways, #3)
  • Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways, #4)
  • Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast (Runaways, #7)
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong
  • Runaways, Vol. 10: Rock Zombies (Runaways, #10)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling
“Nobody treating us like kids. For once, we gt to be equals, not babies. Could use more of that in the twenty-first. Age doesn’t make grown-ups.” 0 likes
“I saw Gert. The time machine took me back to a few years ago, the Yorkes’ house… and there she was. On the phone, organizing a protest against… the usual.”

“You talk to her?”

“You nuts? She’s fourteen—what do I say? ‘Hey, in a few years you’re gonna find out your parents are evil time-traveling overlords and help kill them, fall in love with the dumbest guy you know and than eat it ‘cause he’s too slow to protect you?’”

“You could’ve brought her back…”

“Butterfly effect, remember? Yeah, I looked it up. ‘Sides she had a few good years left. Which is more than I can promise with us. I just hid. Watched her for a while.”

“Was it hard?”

“It was f#%&ing beautiful.”
0 likes