Start by marking “Deep Dark Fears” as Want to Read:
Deep Dark Fears

Deep Dark Fears

(Deep Dark Fears Collection #1)

A charmingly creepy collection of 100 illustrated comics based on idiosyncratic and universal "deep dark fears."

We all have weird fears, from getting sliced to ribbons in subway station revolving gate to getting turned around by the wind while swimming and going too far out to sea. Based on the wildly popular eponymous Tumblr, Deep Dark Fears explores our odd, creep
Published September 29th 2015 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Deep Dark Fears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Dark Fears

karen
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
 photo IMG_6442_zpspxi09e15.jpg

this is a fun idea - fran krause started documenting and illustrating his irrational fears over here on tumblr and then put out an open call for submissions. people sent him the gory details of their craziest fears in full-frontal psychological nakedness, and he made 'em into doodles.

photo IMG_6458_zpszsmure5m.jpg

there are 101 of them collected here.

and none of them are from people afraid of anything straightforward like dogs or clowns or heights. these are all very specific, very involved fears and some of them are playing a little
Nat
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Disclaimer: I had to read this with the lights on.

Truth to be told, the more I think about this collection, the more I recall how much I actually enjoyed reading it, which was the last emotion I was anticipating to feel with this read. Deep Dark Fears explores our odd, creepy, and hilariously singular fears. Animator, illustrator, and cartoonist Fran Krause brings these fears to life in vividly illustrated comics based on real fears submitted by readers (plus a few of his own).

I didn't have any expectations going into this,read. Deep
☽¸¸.I am¸¸.•*¨ The ¸¸.•*¨*Phoenix¨*•♫♪ ☾
A collection of 101 Deep Dark Fears, silly but at the same time extremely creepy ideas which look like childhood fears for adults.

Untitled

I remember seeing a couple of frames from this comic on social medias and really liking the art and the watercolour technique; I also thought the idea was very clever and I wanted a more comprehensive work. It is actually the art style that drawn me to this comic. As for the content, I imagined these fears would be more relatable, and I'll be able to say "omg me too", but
Jan Philipzig
Deep Dark Fears collects 101 comic strips about odd, far-fetched, absurd, yet somehow strangely familiar fears - see the quotes below for samples. A comic-book version of cartoonist Fran Krause introduces the book like this: “I started this comic by trying to draw all my irrational fears – accidentally getting my eyes poked out, that sort of thing, then people started sending in their own stories and fears! My readers have been very generous with their stories, and I’ve really loved drawing them!” An ...more
Sandra
Do you have those irrational fears, that make no sense to anybody but you? Or so you thought...

Fran Krause took those fears to paper and created comics based on them. Then fans submitted their own fears.

A phenomenon was born.

A phenomenon was born.

Exactly, stay away from social media!

See why I don't like cats?
Cats, no. Just no.

This, though.

So, what is your fear?

Fran Krause on Tumbler
Fran Krause on Twitter
Fran Krause on Facebook
David Schaafsma
This is a link to Krause's webcomic, so you can dig into it yourself to see if you want to read his book:

His book began with his drawing his deepest fears in four panel comics, and then readers sent their own in as well, and he began drawing these, and he had enough over time to make a selection, 101 of his faves, with a parade of ghost stories, irrational fears of grizzly deaths, and paranoid delusions. Some
Krista Regester
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
There aren't many things I like more than a list of people's weird quirks. While reading this I found that other people have the same fears as I do...which is strange. I can't wait to read the next one!
Sara
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Frank Krause wants to know what you're afraid of and the weirder it is the better. This collection of by turns hilarious and horrifying fears he dreamed up on his own and received from his avid fan base is a macabre delight. If, like me, you have some really insane seeming fears (yeah I occasionally think about stockpiling food in the attic for the impending zombie apocalypse what of it!?) this book will do wonders for your insecurities. It turns out, at least according to Krause, that everyone ...more
Lauren
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully delightful book despite the subject matter! The artwork is incredibly versatile and really accentuates the scenarios it conveys.

Deep Dark Fears contains 101 fear scenarios from the outrageously bizarre (# 12, 23, 57, 67) to the sinister and disturbing (# 11, 41, 78, 88) to the poignant and heartfelt (# 15, 24, 32, 62, 74).

Reading this book has made me aware of how universal fear is and how it can manifest in myriad ways. I was very glad to discover that I am
Isa Lavinia
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it

ARC provided by Ten Speed Press through Netgalley

I had seen a few of Fran Krause's comics around tumblr, so when I saw this book on Netgalley I simply had to read it!
Thankfully I was approved because it was a delightful read!

Krause accepts submissions of tumblr users' darkest fears and draws them in a charming art style, bringing them to life and giving them the humour needed to soften the horror they represent.

One thing I experienced, when I saw his comics on tumblr, was that I not only shared quite a few of the deep dar
Sesana
Oct 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A series of short comics describing various fears, some silly, some childish, some actually fairly creepy. Krause started by illustrating his own fears, and then moved on to illustrating the fears submitted to him by readers. It's voyeuristic, of course, and cathartic when you can identify with one of the fears. A very quick read.
Ladan
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok

deep!dark? hah?!

The illustrations are cool and funny, yet the fears are not as promising as the title of the book! I expected sth really dark and deep, sth that would make my hair stand on end or give me goosebumps!

My deep N dark fears

About three months ago I burnt my hand and it was a second-degree burn, actually, I was trying to save my eyes and my face. Since then, I had this feeling that almost everything had the potential to explode and make me go blind. It was so hard to deal with it, but now I'm fine :)

Damn you:)
Damn
Fatimah W.Rasheed
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
[The best of (my) DEEP DARK FEARS]
* creepy music on *

description

well, maybe you'll find something better than the best of my deep dark fears on the author's website : Deep Dark Fears
Møstʌfy̍
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
The drawings were fine. But I couldn't relate to any of the fears. They were all weird and many of them were like fears of a psycho!
Devann
A book full of cute, short webcomics about irrational fears, some of the author's and some that people sent in. I think a lot of us can probably relate to at least a few of these often very silly fears, but what really got to me was how many fears were based on something the person was told as a child. Like probably half the fears in here are 'when I was a kid my parents told me [thing] because they didn't want to explain what was actually happening and as a result I was terrified for years' and ...more
Crowinator
One of my irrational childhood fears: the standing fan in my room will come to life while I'm asleep and shred my face.

One of my totally rational but maybe a bit silly adult fears: ever since seeing Lethal Weapon 2, I can't drive behind a truck or car with something tied to the roof in case they slam on their brakes, causing the surfboard, canoe, or ladder to come loose, shoot backwards and through my windshield, and take off my head.

This was a fun dark book that proves that everyone has wacky
Raina
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Riveting.
As someone who's always been fascinated by unusual fears, this was nailed up my alley.
These are not the normal fears (spiders, balloons, clowns). These are the niche corners of our psyches.
I.e.
Fear #31: When my dogs want to come inside, I need to check the whole house, looking for my dogs, in case the ones outside are shapeshifters.
Each of the brief descriptions caption full-color panels depicting the events described. The symbiosis of these elements is subtle in some cases, but the pictures absolutel/>Fear
Matt Graupman
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think pretty much everyone has an irrational fear. Maybe it's monsters in your closet or getting hurt in some bizarre way but, for most people, they're afraid of something bad happening to them. Recognizing this, animator and cartoonist Fran Krause solicited submissions of these anonymous fears from his readers and created a charmingly gruesome collection of comics, illustrating some of these truly horrific events. It's part Post Secret art project, part "American Elf" autobio experiment, and ...more
Adela Cacovean
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I remember once seeing these Deep Dark Fears comic strips in a 9gag post or on another similar website and being totally intrigued. When requesting this book from NetGalley, I hoped it was the same illustrator and was thrilled to see I was right.

Fran Krause brings the weirdest phobias of people around the world to life in these comic strips that are absolutely fascinating to read. While some of them seem far fetched, others I found I could relate to, so you probably will find some of yours in there too.

Halfway throu
Philip
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
deep dark fear: nuclear phone call

deep dark fear: why lock your car doors?

I got this on a whim from my library's graphic novel section. And it's great. It reminds me a lot of All My Friends Are Dead, which I also loved.

The book gives a cartoon for 101 irrational fears the cartoonist, Fran Krause, has come across. Either they're his own, or they're ones that have been submitted to him. (You can submit your own here.)

I think most of the fears in the book (if not all) are irrational, but I can relate to a lot of them. Sometimes when I
Peter Derk
Dec 05, 2015 rated it liked it
These are great. The kind of irrational fears most of us have and never really talk about.

Can I tell you mine?

What if I’m severely handicapped, but everyone just treats me normal? Like everyone’s doing this Truman Show thing where they let me have a normal life, but every reaction, every dealing with another person, it’s all the result of pity for poor, handicapped Pete.
Sara
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A certain person who gave me this book as a present knows me VERY well. I'm glad this lives on my shelf. I loved how some of these were genuinely disturbing in a deeply terrifying way, and some were just hilarious. The art and the words balance perfectly. SUCH a good concept for a comic. It makes me want to send in a fear -- and made me think about which fear I would send in.
Julia Sapphire
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
This was odd and quirky. I also liked the art work but overall it was mediocre.
MohamadSaleh NooraniZadeh
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really funny! I was sad when it ended :(
Anita
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are so many times I found myself relating to one of the fears in the comics, which just makes one feel more connected to the world. Especially when there are other people out there worried about their limbs hanging off of the bed or the person who tries to look quirky and fun so the murders watching outside her window will change their minds about killing them.
Zain Hashmy
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A quick read, short and hilarious, with irrational fears of average people illustrated well. It could be called unsettling, but personally I find it funny and reassuring that other people have similar irrational fears as me.

Hayli
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Spooky.
The illustrations are really cute.
Some of my own fears are drawn here in this book. And, hey, even some new ones!
Brianne Hofmann
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
People are really afraid of mirrors.
L I Z Z I
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book definitely turned out better than I had anticipated. The idea of fleshing out your fears via comic strip is genius to me.

Some of the fears listed were legit creepy af, some of them thought-provoking, some of them relatable, but most of them absolutely hilarious, with Fran's drawing-style adding to the hilarity.

It also introduced me to the awful things some parents (and quite a few crazy-ass grandmas) have said to their children! Seriously, "if you keep wetting the bed, wor
The Flooze
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've been following Deep Dark Fears on the Tumblr for ages, so it was a given that I'd enjoy this compilation.

Krause's illustrations perfectly complement each of the showcased fears, adding an extra layer of humour, creepiness, or poignancy (sometimes all of the above) to the various confessions.

The real draw here though is how with each additional entry, I feel more at peace with my own brand of paranoia. Krause's work allows us to see that we're not alone in our quirky beliefs and

• What I Hate: From A to Z
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 4: Gangwar
  • You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack
  • Monsters! and Other Stories
  • Harrow County, Vol. 1: Countless Haints
  • Sad Animal Facts
  • Step Aside, Pops (Hark! A Vagrant, #2)
  • Not Funny Ha-Ha: A Handbook for Something Hard
  • The Case of the Team Spirit (Bad Machinery, #1)
  • Baltimore, Vol. 5: The Apostle and the Witch of Harju
  • Sheltered, Volume 1: A Pre-Apocalyptic Tale
  • Dockwood
  • The X-Files: Season 10, Volume 1
  • Meteor Men
  • The Dark Horse Book of Monsters (The Dark Horse Book of..., #4)
  • Everything Is Teeth
  • Heart in a Box
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 30: New World Order
Ananimator and cartoonist. He is currently a teacher in the character animation program at CalArts, creator of several cartoons, and the creator of the Deep Dark Fears webcomic series and book.

Deep Dark Fears Collection (2 books)
  • The Creeps
“When I wake up, I open my eyes very slowly, so anything that may be in my room has a chance to hide.” 5 likes
“When I was a kid I worried that when I woke up, I'd find my family having breakfast with my doppelgänger. We would fight to the death, and then my family would peacefully finish breakfast.” 3 likes