Start by marking “Letters Written in White” as Want to Read:
Letters Written in White

Letters Written in White

What's worse, living when you want to die or dying while you're fighting to live?

I’m dead.

I’m cold and alone and I’m dead. There’s no air in my lungs. My chest is as cold and hollow as a cave on a snowcapped mountain side. My heart no longer beats there.

Frigid winds whistle through my ribs and the sadness inside me weeps like my favorite tree.

Days ago, I met with death f
Published November 30th 2015 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Letters Written in White, please sign up.
Haidoulina
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Letters Written in White
Christy
5 stars

photo 9D91E7EA-70FE-4C01-AFE0-77133B7595C2_zpsysr9v9hb.jpg

Some books you read change you, they move you, they’re powerful and all consuming. This was one of those books for me. I stayed up all night reading it. I read it from cover to cover not stopping once, tears were running down my face most of the time but I couldn't stop. Any one who has suffered from depression or had someone they love suffer from depression can relate to Riah and her story. It’s not an easy story to read, in fact, it was incredibly difficult for me to read, but it’s
Jennifer Kyle
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cry-baby-books
4.5 Stars

description

I have 53 books on my “Cry Baby Shelf” out of 1,234 books in total. This calculation alone should give a glimpse of how much I really don’t jump into these types of stories and the frequency of which I seek them out. They’re just so darn painful and this one is so very real and power. I’ll probably never forget it.

This story is short but packs a hell of a punch from beginning to end. I had to take several breaks through out. The optimist in me just kept hoping that there would be a mag
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!!

description

“We’re all liars. We’re just pawning our souls to different devils.”

“Letters Written in White” was one of the most emotional books I have ever read. With a unique premise, this book was very different from what I expected and from I have read so far. It was powerful, consuming, thought provoking, sad, raw and moved me to tears. Reading this story wasn’t easy. I actually had to stop a couple of times because I was feeling too much. Kathryn Perez delivered such a beautifully
warhawke
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who can handle some heavy shit lol!
Genre: General Fiction
Type: Standalone
POV: First Person – Partly Dual
Rating:

Riah Winter was tired. Tired of life and everything around her. Days of happiness seemed long gone. With a husband Grayson, who didn’t understand her and two children who grated her nerves, every day became a struggle to hold on. Some days she found pockets of sunshine but most days the darkness consumed her until there wasn’t any more light.

This book was hard to read. And if you know me well enough, you’d know I
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Letters Written in White by Kathryn Perez
4.5 stars!!

“…don’t take the life you have been given for granted because one day you may very well have to face them…”

This is going to be a tough review to write just as much as this was a book that was tough to read. I love a tear jerker, they are my favourite reads, I love to feel that emotion, to live the story, to empathise and sympathise, I find it cathartic…however, at the end of this book…I JUST FELT NUMB. I sobbed my way through this b
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
Shelves: 2015
description

“… in life we never know the battles others are facing. We don’t know the demons they are hiding. Everyone you have ever met is fighting something.”

We’ve never read this Author, we knew nothing about this book nor had we read the synopsis. We thrive on the unknown. We wanted the complete unknown so we began reading…..

“Depression is like water. It finds all of your cracks and trickles in inch by inch.”

The writing is of the most stunning and beautifully poetic perfection; the subject matte
Di Covey/TwistedBookReviews
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"I know my truth. My truth is everyone else’s lies. My lies are their comfort. Telling the truth makes people uncomfortable."

A breathtaking, heartbreaking, life changing reality check. Kathryn Perez has done it again. The words she weaves, they cut me open, they touch my soul, they devour my being!

By the blurb you know this one is going to be profound. It's dark, the emotion exquisitely written, the meaning is without a doubt, one of the best I've ever read. There were no boundaries, this
JC82
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So its now been almost 24 hours since I finished this book and I find myself still reeling from this story and trying to figure out how to put into coherent words what it made me feel.

Every now and then a reader comes across a book that reaches deep down into their soul, opens their eyes, breaks their heart, and takes their breath away. If a reader is really lucky they may come across more than one. I can think of maybe three books in my 33 years of life that have really impacted me in such a wa
Brit
Advance Readers copy (ARC) provided for my blog for an honest review from the author

Title: Letters Written In White
Author: Kathryn Perez
Publisher: Self Published
Pages: 206
Genre: Magical Realism
Age Group: Adult
Characters: Riah Winter, Grayson
Point of View: First
Happily Ever After: (view spoiler)
Release Date: November 30th, 2015
Date Read: November 19th, 2015
Rating: 6+ Stars

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

So I've finished reading this a week ago. A week ago this story changed my life. It certainly is the mo
Diana
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Riah Winter has an illness that has taken a beautiful, colorful person, and turned her into a black and white shell. The story tells us how horrible this illness really is, and its aftermath. She is on a journey of discovery. A journey that takes her into the past and the future. She learns how her decision affects her husband and children and also how people are not what they seem to be.

Letters Written in White is a beautiful written story about a woman who suffers from severe depression. I so
talon smith
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Here's the thing with Kathryn. As she publishes each book her writing progresses and grows as a writer. Sex Unlimited and Foreplay were great reads. Therapy was exceptional and life changing for me but this book, this book you can see the growth tremendously. Whatever pieces of your soul were ripped apart in Therapy will be shattered in Letters Written in White.

LWIW is raw, grueling, emotional, and heart wrenching. It's that light at the end of the tunnel. It's the silver lining that you need i
Louisa
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing

This book! I am not even sure where to start. As Kathryn has stated, it's not a romance novel though there is love interwoven throughout the entire story. The intense love and sadness we have all felt, the highs and the lows -- it's all here. Riah is me, she is you, she is all of us. We have all felt her pain, her inadequacies. Yes, she may have taken those thoughts further than any of us ever will, but she has taught me so many things in her death that will forever change how I live my life.

"I
Aim
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the most beautiful and poetic book I've ever read in my life. It's life changing. It deals with real subject matter that needs to be brought to light. This is definitely not a romance. It's true, real, gut wrenching, sad and riveting. I have been anticipating this book since I knew it was being written, and it exceeded anything I could've imagined. After reading this, I will look at life and others a whole new way. I will strive to appreciate the people and small things in my life. You c ...more
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog
TEASER

description

*An advance reading copy was generously provided in exchange for an honest review.*

Tina H
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I work in world of psych and I also suffer from the demon known as depression so I am usually very critical of books that deal with the subject and I usually hate them. But I didn't hate this one, I actually really loved it. It approaches the illness in such a different way then what I am use to and I really enjoyed it. I needed this read today. It was therapeutic for me and helped me put a few things in perspective.

This is a sensitive subject and can be triggering for some people so please tak
Jade
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
I don't know if Kathryn Perez was intending to shred and then repair my soul when she wrote Letters Written in White, but that is exactly what she did.

From the Letter from the Author I knew that this would be a soul searching journey that I would need to prepare myself for... only no one could prepare me for what I would learn from this woman and from Riah Winters. You see, the message in this book will be taken differently by each of us. And that is ok. But we will ALL identify with Riah one wa
Lise *friends don't flag*
Interesting and touching. A "make ya think" kinda of book. Well written. ...more
Three Chicks
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review by Natasha Gentile

I’m dead.

So I’m sitting her reading this blurb and I don’t know how to take it. It’s giving me shivers and goosebumps. I don’t know if my heart can allow itself to read it but I do anyway.

So if you’re looking for a book about rain
Sara
Heartbreakingly beautiful. <3
As someone who deals with depression on a daily basis, and who has been at Rock bottom once, this book hit so close to home for me.
Kathryn's words are beautiful.

"Words. Time. Opportunity. These are things we can never get back. Not even in death."
Trudy Stiles
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh God I can't even...

Review to come when I can compose myself.

Truly an exceptional - ONE OF A KIND BOOK. I have no words right now, but when I do...

Kathryn - you're remarkable.

xoxo
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog

Meg
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had the absolute honor of being an early beta reader for this book. It was amazing. Different from anything I've read before. It was insightful, thought-provoking and beautifully written. I could relate to parts of the story being a mother, and I found myself really reflecting on my own life, the choices I've made and the perspective I have on certain things. The best way I can describe this book is: it's heartbreaking and breath-taking. This is definitely Ms. Perez's best work to date. This i ...more
Tamran
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I couldn't stop once I started. I am this person in so many of the stories. This book tore at me & also made me "see". I've never read anything like this before but I'm glad I read this!

Anyone that you think may be suffering from depression, I highly suggest giving them this book. If you are suffering from depression, read this book.

The format of the white one black is beautiful. Everything about this was beautiful for me.
Christine Brae
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!!
Raw and heartbreaking.... uplifting and hopeful. Kathryn Perez has written a story about a woman’s journey towards self redemption and forgiveness. This book is different. It works in reverse. It starts out with the unthinkable, fractures every shred of promise and then slowly, the puzzle pieces come together to fill your heart with so much optimism and joy. If you have ever felt alone and in despair, this book will be your light at the end of the tunnel.
Chelle Northcutt
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tragically beautiful. Beautifully tragic. However you want to phrase it.

I just read the super rough draft.

Holy crap.

I bawled for about 75% of it. It is, hands down, her best writing to date. This book will change your life and your perspective. Get ready to be gutted.
Haidoulina
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing

“In life we never know the battles others are facing. We don’t know the demons they are hiding.”

Depression and suicide.... That's what this book talks about... The names of the heroes aren't important because they can be anyone... You,me,someone you know... I loved the story... It was so touching and the author handled this mental illness delicately... Made me feel compassion for Riah and for those she left behind... And I loved the redemption part in the end...

“Sometimes allowing the dark
J. McCoy
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-favorites
http://amzn.to/1TcudX5 Review to come. After I stop crying.

Full Review: http://literarygossip.com/?p=27604

This review is going to be hard for me to write. Mostly because I can’t stop crying. How am I supposed to type when I can’t even see? I keep waiting for the tears to stop so I can hash out some words and every time I think I have control and start to even think about what I’m going to write, the floodgates open back up again. Letters Written in White should be sold with 12 boxes of Kleenex.
Virginia
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Letters Written In White is one of the best books I have ever read. It’s beautifully written, heart wrenching and thought provoking. I will never think about or look at my life the same way again.

Riah. Her life. Her death. It’s all so sad. God it’s sad. But it’s a beautiful story. The story, the meaning and the lesson. They will all stay with me forever.

Letters Written In White has touched me. It has touched my mind and it has touched my heart. Depression is something that is experienced by man
Danielle Lagasse
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kathryn Perez is evil (because she made me cry)... and amazing (because she has an ability to bring out my emotions unlike any other author with her writing).

I thought taking a few days to get my thoughts together before putting a review up would be helpful, but, I just can't form the words to describe my feelings for this book. It is so emotionally raw. It's gut-wrenching and it is real.

I loved it more than any words on any review can ever portray.

I applaud you, Kathryn... Even if you did mak
D.D. Lorenzo
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**THIS BOOK WILL GIVE YOU HEART TROUBLE**

I’ve just finished “Letters Written in White” and I think I should warn you: heart trouble is possible as you turn the pages. I can tell you that my heart is not the same after reading this. Ms. Perez gives you the ability to be a silent observer of an invisible illness it’s effect on one woman and her family. It is heart-warming, heart wrenching, and heart breaking. There is a part of Riah Winters inside us all. Perhaps one day, with stories as well writ
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Ikigai (Malayalam)
  • The Five
  • When We Left Cuba
  • Folsom (End of Men, #1)
  • Anatomy
  • Feyness (Red Order, #1)
  • Hidden Truths (Truths and Lies, #1)
  • Where You Can Find Me
  • Stealing Home (The Sweet Magnolias #1)
  • Third Eye Blind (Mystic Hallows Harem #4)
  • Cruel Black Hearts (Cruel Black Hearts #1)
  • Lies and Other Drugs (Lies, #1)
  • 69 Million Things I Hate About You (Winning the Billionaire, #1)
  • The Last Time I Saw You
  • The Half Sister
  • George
  • 'Til Death: Volume One ('Til Death, #1)

News & Interviews

“Regret is a painful thing. Few people understand that there are three important things that leave us and can never return. Words. Time. Opportunity. These are things we can never get back.” 9 likes
“I know I need to stay strong, but just like rust can weaken even the strongest of metals, depression can weaken even the strongest of people.” 5 likes