Start by marking “The Designated Mourner” as Want to Read:
The Designated Mourner

The Designated Mourner

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  248 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A daughter is tied to her brilliant father by a passionate bond. But then she is drawn towards an appealing man whose taste in cultural forms follows a disturbing path. The Designated Mourner is a harsh and poetic play about the pursuit of beauty in brutal times.

The Designated Mourner premiered at the National Theatre, London, in April 1996.
Published June 30th 1997 by Farrar Straus Giroux (first published December 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Designated Mourner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Designated Mourner

Jim
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
I have been familiar with Wallace Shawn primarily as an actor, but impressed with my memories of My Dinner with Andre, I decided to read one of his plays. The Designated Mourner is a strange set of monologues mostly in a world which, at first, seems very much like our own, particularly in Manhattan.

Suddenly, we are made aware of violence at the edges of society, of people being killed on the street and in restaurants. There are changes in government. Two of the characters are imprisoned for fiv
"Greg Adkins"
Nov 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
When Wallace Shawn dies, his obituary will inevitably begin by citing his most famous roles -- in The Princess Bride, Clueless, and the "homunculus" in Woody Allen's Manhattan. Eventually, a few paragraphs in, it'll mention that he was also a playwright of some minor note. What a sad and strange fate awaits one of our best writers, to be immortalized in a million Facebook memes-in-waiting ("Inconceivable!"), while his true intellectual and artistic merit goes largely unremarked.

Not that it's a
Marlene
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one, and having just read a great review about a film version of it will be looking for that.

Kaveh
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american, play
سه شخصيت كه هركدام خاطرات خود را، به صورت مونولوگ، پاره پاره روايت مى كنند. زمان و مكان اتفاقات مشخص نيست اما شبيه آن چيزى ست كه در كشورهاى امريكاى لاتين روى مى داده ست و شورش هايى كه عليه حكومت هاى خودكامه شده است. البته اين هم در متن واضح نيست كه واقعا شورشى دركار بوده است يا نه، و اينكه آيا دولت حلقه ادبى آنها را از بين برده است يا شورشيان.
اما آنچه مرا بيشتر جذب كرد نه اين اتفاقها، بلكه روابط بين دو زوجى ست كه تاثير مى گيرد از آنچه روى مى دهد.
Saman Mahdavi
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
بیرون پنجره ماه پر نوره; اسب ها رو می بینیم که دارن تو چمن بازی می کنن و پرنده هارو که دارن تو آسمونِ بالای سرِ اسب ها بازی میکنن.دستِ خیلی سردِ جُن داره آروم با یه حرکتِ فکر شده ی خیلی ظریفی منو ناز میکنه،رو تنم بالا پایین میره و من به این مسئله ی کلا خیلی پیچیده شده ی مرگ فکر میکنم و به خودم میگم محضِ رضای خدا،میشه دست از دست و پا زدن برداری؟ به پشت دراز بکش.سرتو بذار رو بالش.چشم هاتو ببند.بلد نیستی چه طوری از همه چی لذت ببری؟فقط منتظر لحظه ش شو که می دونی سر میرسه.آهان .آهان.یک،دو-سر رسیدنش ق ...more
Coral
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. So glad TruthDig did an article about him and his books.
Simon Sweetman
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wallace Shawn is a genius - that most think of him only for his comedic roles ("Inconceivable!) which are great of course is a bit of a shame given the quality of his writing. This in particular - about struggling to find the beauty in the world as it feels like the world is falling in on itself - seems prescient, relevant and of course disturbing. Great writing here.
Helen Haskin
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it
My father reviewed The Designated Mourner many years ago for a journal and Wallace Shawn invited us to come see the play performed in New York this summer. Before going to the show decided I would like to read the play first, as my father had warned me this wasn't like seeing Shawn in the Princess Bride.
Overall, I wouldn't recommend reading this book if you are a sophomore in high school like myself, but I could see someone really liking it. I really thought Shawn wrapped the play up nicely in
Black Elephants
Feb 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: theatre-plays
I saw this play years ago in a crypt in Dublin, which in hindsight, was a very fitting setting for it. The three actors sat on stools in a spotlight, or maybe it was three spotlights. They told their story to a small audience. It was definitely treated like a wake, a eulogy, which is what The Designated Mourner is all about.

I'm really glad I saw the play because the written version doesn't contain many stage directions. The live performances helped me understand how the monologues might interact
Edward O'Neill
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
A man marries his professor's daughter. A change in political regime forces the triangle to choose sides. The man chooses safety.

On this simple framework but slippery moral terrain, Shawn builds a kind of chamber trio in three voices. If you have seen the David Hare film (based unashamedly on a London stage production), you know how magical this kind of spoken word performance can be.

This play carries on Shawn's unsettling reflection on intellectuals and revolution: when the revolution comes, t
Jack Cheng
Have to be honest: I didn't fully grasp this play. Perhaps a staging would help. Three characters tell intertwined (braided?) monologues about the political structure of their nation, and the intellectuals who are associated with an uprising of some sort. Thematically, I found connections with Aunt Dan and Lemon -- the transference of ideas from one person to another. Ultimately, Jack (who married Judy, the daughter of Howard, a celebrated writer) resents and distances himself from Howard and hi ...more
Moorejohn
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Experimental, intimidating metaphor for art and dissent in a totalitarian state spoken through dense but at times disarmingly telling observations on the banality and cruelty of everyday life. I'd never (ever!) want to sit through this play in live performance, but there is no denying the flashes of casual brilliance in the prose. "Maybe my problem was just always having been very unhappy - you know, unhappiness being a kind of cold sort of marshland in which other emotions just refuse to grow."
Nan
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if a staging would help my dis-ease with the play. The braided monologues do little to make the piece come alive. Jack, Judy, and Howard live in fascistic world or a utopian world of their own making and unmaking. They are the educated elite, the artists, the rulers who invent the big house and move in. But the barbarians are always at the gate. Only Jack, a bit of a barbarian himself, survives. He survives. He remembers. And does it matter? I'm not sure I care.
J.M.
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: drama, borrowed
To its credit, this was interesting, in parts, cerebral and circular. A set of monologues for three actors, which I'd never really care to see performed. All the (to the audience) stuff. There are occasional flashes of brilliance, and I sympathize with many of the arguments made, but overall it felt kind of leaden.

Should I try My Dinner With Andre? Hmm...
Andy
Dec 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-10
Along with Adorno's Minima Moralia, Brecht's poems, and Phil Ochs' last few albums, the work that cracked my little aesthete head open in relation to politics, political art, and the relation of interpersonal ethics to social conscience. Also amazing writing, brilliant in detail and large-scale form.
Tran
Mar 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theatre
Ever wondered why you have so much liberal guilt, living in the lap of civilized luxury while the rest of the world goes pretty much to shit? Well, read this book and feel somewhat vindicated that civilized living has some high points as well. That's all I can remember about this play. I probably oughta reread it again.
Marie
Apr 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
i am lost in trying to process what the meaning of the play or even the title conveys. one thing that struck me is how the author has an obsession with genitalia especially the male variety. yet i must admit i still have no idea of what i just read. all in all the only positive thing i can say on this book is the cover was aesthetically pleasing.
Leah Angstman
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Really depressing and heavy. The monologues are cumbersome. The allegory is plentiful. But it's still a moving and important piece of theater. Not sure I could sit through a performance of it. It's a bit too straight-forward and preachy to make me want to wait it out.
Mommalibrarian
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: play
Pretentious people observed and discussed by Wallace Shawn and two other actors. Not fun like HA HA but interesting in a tickle your brain fashion. I am a big fan of My Dinner with Andre

Erik
Oct 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Fahrenheit 451 meets the upper west side.
Amber
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it
At times the dialogue gets complicated but reading it then watching the mike nichols film version really helps to gain perspective.
Albie
Sep 14, 2009 added it
The Designated Mourner : A Play by Wallace Shawn (1997)
Mark
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, four-star
Inconceivable!
Ben Morrison
Mar 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. If you're too lazy to read, you can listen to it on the NPR website. No shame in that.
Pgregory
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dug this out of the basement in light of current revival in NYC. Still unnerving, still Wally Shawn grappling with liberalism, wealth, and political turmoil.
Rhiannon
  • Complete Plays
  • The Maids & Deathwatch
  • Krapp's Last Tape and Other Dramatic Pieces
  • The Complete Talking Heads
Wallace Shawn, sometimes credited as Wally Shawn, is an American actor and playwright. Regularly seen on film and television, where he is usually cast as a comic character actor, he has pursued a parallel career as a playwright whose work is often dark, politically charged and controversial. He is widely known for his high-pitched nasal voice and slight lisp.
More about Wallace Shawn...