Start by marking “Seeking Peace: Notes and Conversations Along the Way” as Want to Read:
Seeking Peace: Notes and Conversations Along the Way

Seeking Peace: Notes and Conversations Along the Way

Where can we find peace of heart and mind--with ourselves, with others, and with God? Arnold says most people are looking in the wrong direction. In a culture that bombards us with feel-good-about-yourself spirituality, Seeking Peace is sure to satisfy a deep hunger. There is a peace greater than self-fulfilment, a peace greater than nations no longer at war. But it will demand a re ...more
Published February 20th 2013 by Plough Publishing House (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Seeking Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeking Peace

Start your review of Seeking Peace: Notes and Conversations Along the Way
Francine
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book specifically to read as we approached the season of Advent (Roman Catholic Church).

The essays were relevant, compassionate, instructive and full of wisdom.

The author name dropped in the best possible tradition, Dorothy Day, Elias Chacour, Henri Nouwen, Thomas Merton, the Berrigan brothers, Wendell Berry, Thich Nhat Hanh and many more wonderful, wise people. I thoroughly enjoyed reading each essay as well as the book as a whole work.

This book
Melinda
Apr 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this is one book I read during a flurry of reading that addressed where I was changing in how I understand and live out my faith in God. I was being attracted to things that are more tuned into the idea of peace and how we as Christians should be peace makers and keepers in the world around us. It addressed some of what I was learning about how we Americans have a history of trying to keep peace through violence instead of negotiation. Not that we like or advocate war, but it has had a big ...more
Michel Van Goethem
I read this in English; "Seeking Peace"; the 'message' is strong, the testimonies a litlle bit dated.
I give it 2 to 4 stars. Here the end of the book: "In a passage in The Brothers Karamazov, Fyodor Dostoevsky writes with similar hope and faith. The conversation is between Father Zossima (when he is still a young man) and a mysterious stranger: “Heaven,” the stranger said, “lies hidden within all of us – here it lies hidden in me now, and if I will it, it will be revealed to me tomorrow an
Joannarokosz18gmail.com
The passage that I really liked:

(Freda's words)

'SEEK until you FIND, and DON'T GIVE UP. Pray, too, even if you think you don't believe, because God will help you through. DON'T GIVE UP, above all, avoid the temptation that distract you from what you know you really long for. If you do fall. PICK YOURSELF UP AGAIN and get back on the track.'

Am I peaceful after reading this book. Well... I am not. But I do long, I do seek, I will not GIVE UP, and I will get back
Lavonne
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I appreciated learning about the Bruderhof and their mission, I found this book to be basically a series of sermons. There was a lot of repetition. I did find the chapters on Service, Action, and Justice to be inspirational. The author quotes his grandfather often & draws on the thoughts/words of spiritual leaders of many faiths such as Thich Nhat Hanh, Martin Luther King, Jr., etc.
Susann  Roessel
Apr 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The foreword of the book says it all: Peace has nothing to do with passivity or resignation. It is not for the spineless or self-absorbed, or for those content with a quiet life. Peace demands that we live honestly before God, before others, and in the light of our own conscience. It does not come without the burden of duty, for it demands deads of love.
Johann Christoph Arnold
Stories - many of them tragic - of finding peace. Easy to read, and engaging, as well as thoughtful.
Bassem Qoulta
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can say .. Touched My Heart .. I already considered it as a Ref.
Carlee
Jan 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Absolutely Loved this book. It was absolutely inspirational and it can be applied to everyday life. Love it love it love it and it's something that I will be re-reading.
Dana Caley
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't find this book useless but I found it lacking Gospel/Christ centered reasoning for seeking peace. He also quotes individuals (from all religions) far more than scripture.
Madonna Magdy

• Lumberjanes: The Infernal Compass
  • As I Lay Dying
  • Treasure Island
  • Watchmen
People have come to expect sound advice from Johann Christoph Arnold, an award-winning author with over two million copies of his twelve books in print in more than twenty languages. A noted speaker and writer on marriage, parenting, and end-of-life issues, Arnold was a senior pastor of the Bruderhof, a movement of Christian communities, until his death in April 2017.

Arnold’s message w
“If God’s peace is in our hearts, we carry it with us, and it can be given to those around us, not by our own will or virtue, but by the Holy Spirit working through us. We cannot give what we do not have, but if the spirit blows through the dark clouds, and enters our hearts, we can be used as vehicles of peace, and our own peace will be thereby deepened. The more peace we give away, the more we have.” 6 likes