Start by marking “Paper Girls #1” as Want to Read:
Paper Girls #1

Paper Girls #1

(Paper Girls (Single Issues) #1)

SAGA writer BRIAN K. VAUGHAN launches a brand-new ONGOING SERIES with superstar Wonder Woman artist CLIFF CHIANG!

In the early hours after Halloween of 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time.

Stand By Me meets War of the Worlds in this mysterious young adult adventure, starting with a spectacular DOUBLE-SIZED FIRST ISSUE
Published October 7th 2015 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Paper Girls #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paper Girls #1

Sam Quixote
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
It’s the day after Halloween in 1988 and Erin sets out on her very early morning paper run in the sleepy little town of Stony Stream, Ohio. But there are a trio of shadowy figures in black robes and a sack prowling the neighbourhood - are they trick or treaters who’ve stayed out far too late or… something else?

Paper Girls is Brian K Vaughan’s second new series this year which describes itself as Stand By Me crossed with War of the Worlds. Based on this double-sized first issue? Naaaahhh. On both
Marla Haasz
Some thoughts I had while reading the first issue of Paper Girls:
1. This is very 'Dr. Manhattan on Mars'.
2. Why are these boys out at 4:40am dressed in what could be mistaken as quirky burglar costumes.
3. Boys are big jerky jerks.
4. Young girls hollering back with words I wouldn't normally be comfortable with, I dig it.
5. How many cigarettes does this girl wanna light up in under 5 minutes?
6. I see where the Stand By Me inspiration comes in.
7. All of these bomber jackets got me feeling all nosta
Eilonwy
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it

I picked this up on a whim because I used to be a paper girl (except we always said "paper carrier"), in the Cleveland area, no less! So how could I resist? This double issue was a terrific opener for a comic series. I hope the next issue is this good. (Taps fingers waiting for November 4.)
Omnya
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
PERFECTION
Jeannette Nikolova
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
[Image Comics] FIRST ISSUES: The Good (Full review on the WondrousBooks blog.)

I can’t exactly pinpoint the charm of Paper Girls but it’s undeniable that I liked it a lot. Sure, the drawings are nice, the story is shaping up pretty well, the humor is enjoyable. But all of those, or at least most of them, apply to many of the comic books on this list which I still rated lower. So why I felt like 4 stars was the appropriate rating? Beats me.

However, I do think I’m slowly but steadily becoming a f
David Schaafsma
1988, paper girls version (that's delivering papers kinda paper girls, not ones made outta paper!) of Stand by Me meets War of the Worlds. So anyone could have done this, but BRIAN VAUGHN is doing the characterization and dialogue and Cliff Chiang is doing the artwork, so it's a step up from your average fare. B=Vaughn has two other series I have not read so that may change my view of how good this is, but so far I like it, it's entertaining. Mainly because Vaughn. But too early tell, maybe, but ...more
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
BADASS GIRLS YASSSS
Cece
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lecturas-2017
Empieza bien esta serie... No ocurre demasiado en esta primera parte, pero me está dando la sensación que tiene un rollo a Stranger Things. No puedo esperar a seguir leyendo
Münevver
Yıllardır beklettiğim şeyi okumanın verdiği mutluluk ve sayının harikalığı?
Kelly
Love, love, love, love, love. I'm ready for issue #2 right now.

A fun, feminist scifi adventure set on Halloween night in the 80s when a rag tag team of female paper delivery girls stumble upon a machine created in honor of WAR OF THE WORLDS 50th anniversary.
Kaitlin
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first issue in a new series by Brian K Vaughn and of course I had to pick it up because I already love Vaughn's other stuff. This was also extra special as it's a double-length first issue and so you can really sink yourself into the storyline. We are following a young 12 year old, called Erin as she is delivering her papers in the early morning in her town. She's a pretty normal character and the premise of the story is fairly 'mundane' when you describe it, but the storyline is exc ...more
BooksTwins
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
No me tarde nada en leerlo, pero me tarde más en saber si estaba leyendo el primer tomo o que? Ya me he conseguido hasta el 13 pero me di cuenta que son 15 .-. y no los encuentro por ningún lado! Todavía estoy algo confundida igual, nunca había leído comics que no sean de Marvel.
Si alguien sabe más, agradezco información!
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

I'm desperately needing some comics so I peruse a comic bookstore - whaddya know, Vaughan is back with a new series! It looks FANTASTIC - the characters are diverse and interesting, and the story is intriguing.

I talked briefly with the comic book guy about Y The Last Man; still cannot believe that Vaughan wrote that one after the winners he's done. Weird.
Praiz Sophyronja
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I used to be a paper girl too, just never happened to bump into awesome crazy shit like this. I'd read Vaughan's grocery list, and this issue was a brief but great start to what could be a promising series.
Chris
I have to say that the cover looks whitewashed, though this could be due to the background.

However, this is an awesome comic. Four tough as nail pre-teen girls take on aliens. I'm in.
Andrew Greatbatch
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. For a first issue, this was fantastic. I'm a huge Marvel fan, but honestly, the more Image comics I read, the more I love them.

This, Copperhead, and Hack/Slash are all great, in my opinion, and damn, I can't wait for number 2.

"Hey, whichever dumb fucks just robbed our friend, if you can hear this, get ready... We're coming to get our shit back."

woop woop
Helena Summers
3.5. The art is not my favourite but I like the colours, the characters seem to have strong personalities (especially Mac) and the ending left me intrigued, so onto the next one!
Ana
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La única pega es que me ha dejado con la intriga. Me ha puesto la miel en los labios y el segundo número no me lo trae la tienda de cómics hasta dentro de un par de semanas XD

El de la tienda ya me lo había advertido y tengo que darle la razón, tiene una ambientación que recuerda a Stranger Things; lo que quiere decir que nos recuerda mucho a la película Stand by Me. Dibujos muy buenos e historia coherente. Con las pocas páginas que he leído no puedo hacerme demasiado a la idea de cómo continuará
Amanda
So far, so awesome! Like a girl-gang version of the Goonies, with enough mysterious non-cliche aspects to keep it unpredictable. Aliens? Mutants? Time-travelling alien mutants? I'm confused in the best possible way.
Lesincele Viaja gracias a los libros
Son grapas muy muy breves que nos presentan a 4 protagonistas jóvenes que se dedican a repartir periódicos por la urbanización a la vez que tienen que defenderse como mujeres y enfrentarse a extraños acontecimientos. Muy simple de momento pero engancha. Y los mensajes que manda están muy bien.
Duskangelreads
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not enough of it to give me much of an idea as yet. But I'm interested in continuing.
❧ Cristina ☙
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit all over the place but I still kind of liked it.
Carlos Peguer
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
No he entendido nada de lo que ha pasado pero me ha encantado, y qué preciosidad de ilustraciones y todo. Y qué final. Wtf. QUÉ GANAS DE VER QUÉ PASA.
Deivid León López
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
El plot twist de la última viñeta me ha dado la vida.

Es una primera parte muy introductoria, pero que deja con ganas de más. Estoy deseando ponerme a leer los siguientes.
kitap hırsızı
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Karakterleri çok beğendim. Umarım böyle devam eder.
Marco Esteves
OH MY GODDDDDDDD
Jerry Jose
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a high material, as in something better experienced intoxicated. Lazy psychedelic artwork with bright colours and panels, rebel newspaper girls in bikes, walkie talkies, bullies and aliens. Might make an awesome post Stranger Things reading material, now that i think of it.

Artwork is good,but there is something weird about the way it has been detailed and inked. Though a little lousy in first look, it grew on me as story progressed, leading to a last panel that made me go wtf.
JB
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this! What a great first issue. It's a very thick first issue with a $2.99 cover price. Awesome art by Cliff Chang, greatly written by Brian K. Vaughan, beautiful colors by Matt Wilson.

The characters are written very well, great dialogue. The art and especially the art are my favorite part of this issue. The story is very mysterious and sci-fi. Can't wait to find out where this is going!
Dean Eizenberg
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Issue 1 is so much fun, it reminds me of the Stranger Things TV show or something out of Amazing Stories, with a group of kids stumbling into a supernatural or science fiction mystery. The characters are likable and funny and it ends on a cliffhanger with plenty of potential so i'm busting to find out where it goes from here.
James
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Intrigued to see where this story is going! Looking forward to picking up more issues in the series . . . .
  • Archie (2015-)  #2
  • DC Comics: Bombshells #1
  • Huck #1
  • Archangel #1
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #1
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo

Paper Girls (Single Issues) (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Paper Girls #2