Start by marking “Dreamthief (Olive Kennedy, Fairy World M.D., #1)” as Want to Read:
Dreamthief (Olive Kennedy, Fairy World M.D., #1)

Dreamthief

(Olive Kennedy, Fairy World M.D. #1)

Visiting Faythander is a nasty business. Forget the fairies and unicorns, most people come back with lost memories and mental problems. Olive Kennedy knows. She's the therapist who treats patients suffering from Faythander's side effects. Despite her empty bank account, she takes pride in her job as Houston’s only Fairy World medical doctor. She's never failed to cure a cl ...more
Published September 1st 2015 by Crimson Tree Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dreamthief, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tamara Grantham
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tamara Grantham
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Marti
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
I recieved a free digital copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Dreamthief, by Tamara Grantham, is the first-person, plot-driven story of Olive Kennedy. She’s a therapist who specializes in helping people who have traveled to a faerie otherworld cope with the emotional trauma it brings. Why is she so (uncannily) good at it? Olive is half-human, half-elf.

To be honest, there a lot of things about this book that turned me off. There is a lot of set-up in the beginnin
Courtney Whittamore- The Moral of our Stories
Everyone has a vague understanding of fairytale lore. Whether it is of fairies, elves, dwarfs, or those like them, tales of these creatures has permeated our literature for centuries. These stories have always been dismissed simply as works of a superb imagination. So having the world that we know, and the world we dream of intersect, has always been unfathomable.
Until now.
Olive is what Faythander, an enchanted land of sorts, would classify as a “half-breed”. Being born of both elven and human
Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YAm+
Recommended to Jenny Bynum by: Tamara Grantham
I started off with really getting into the book, but I felt at times that it was a little long and drawn out when I read it the first time around, and I thought I should read it again and so I did. Yes, there were some drawn out parts but I overlooked them because the action that took place made the book extremely interesting and addicting. I felt that the characters in the story were strong and the story-line was awesome. Like I said, the action did keep me in suspense. I loved the main charact ...more
Leah Alvord
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, awesome-narrator

To put it simply, Dreamthief is fun. The voice of the narrator and exchanges between characters were snarky, sarcastic, and full of wit. I absolutely adored it.

Summary:

Olive Kennedy doesn't make a lot of money as the only Fairy Wold psychiatrist, but she helps people. Repressed memories of Faythander are her specialty, and she takes pride in helping those who were failed by everything else.

Yet, it is a painful truth that she cannot help everyone. Kids, in particular, are not yet ready to face wh
Shannon Thompson
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Magic, elves, pixies, goblins, and dragons? Yes. Super yes. Dreamthief by Tamara Grantham is riddled with magic and folklore and everything in between. The origin story of how our world and how the magic world—Faythander—was separated is fascinating and fun. I mean, dinosaurs and dragons, right? (I seriously hate dinosaurs, so seeing such a topic handled in an interesting, fun, and humorous way really made me fall in love with Kull.)
So, Kull. Let’s talk about him.
Handsome, hilarious, a bit coc
Bhawisha Chand
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-reads, dnf

This book failed to keep my attention and I couldn’t continue.

DNF
T.M.
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great start to a series

This is not generally my genre of choice, but I thoroughly enjoyed the character development and world-building throughout this book. The premise was interesting, and fans of both urban fantasy and classic fantasy will like the read.
a_tiffyfit
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ind-trone
Oh, I finished this days ago. I just suck at remembering to toss up my reviews lately!
This was such a great read. I was excited while reading and need to get the rest in the series. I love the idea of the parallel universes and the explanation as to why, since the beginning of human time and across various cultures, we have similar stories of fairies and dragons and elves and mythical creatures. Because we were all once one!
Olive is a halfsie who doesn't lose her memory when she traverses betw
Jessica
Mar 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned, 2017-reads
Wow. This was not. This just. I felt like I was reading REALLY BAD early 2000s FictionPress fantasy. I could only get 14% (fourTEEN) of the way into this. I can't force it any further. I hope the book eventually gets past the 'explain all the things' phase, but SHOW NOT TELL please. It did sound like an interesting premise, but honestly the world building (that I was told about in the 14% I read) seemed poor and not that great. It was just flat. And then oh surprise dragon that is also a king an ...more
BookLoversLife
Olive Kennedy is a therapist of sorts that deals with humans who've been touched by the magic of Faythander. Every human who goes there, comes back changed and it's up to Olive to find out which creature took them. When she is called to her godsons side, she realises that things are serious, add in the dreams she is having and she knows she has to go to Faythander and see what's happening.

This was a good read. Plot wise, I liked the idea of Faythander and the various creatures in there. The wor
Nikki Flynn
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
RTC!
Masquerade Crew
2 REVIEWS

REVIEWER: MOONWALKER

5.0 ON THE MASQ SCALE

As the only Fairy world medical doctor in existence, Olive Kennedy gets some pretty interesting patients to deal with. Most of the ones that are referred to her are the ones that spent time in Faythander as a result of overwhelming emotional, physical, or mental stress in their childhood. Their memory of it doesn't return to this world with them, hence the sense of loss, and other mental side effects. When Olive's godson goes into a coma she dete
Fay Tannerr
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This was an excellent and captivating fantasy book!

Olive Kennedy has lived half her life in the magical world of Faythander that is inhabited by dragons, elves, wults, pixies and goblins. Now she lives in Earth Kingdom trying to fit in until her godson gets ill and she is thrust back into Faythander.

Dreamthief was a combination on fantasy, magic, action, romance and a bit of humor. We were introduced to a lot of Faythander's unique population and it's beautiful world.

The characters were great.
Stormi (Bewitched Reader)
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally Posted on Bewitched Reader: https://bewitchedreader.wordpress.com...

Fantasy novels have always been my favorite genre, followed closely by romance, but I can't stand cliché fantasies. Dreamthief puts a unique twist on the idea of pixies, elves, goblins, dragons, and wults. Normally, I imagine pixies as something akin to Tinkerbell. Not 7 foot tall animalistic warriors with razor sharp teeth. The entire concept and history of Faythander and the wult race was unique and refreshing.
The s
booknerd_dork
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
*****3.5*****
I liked the book. It was kind of slow in the beginning but I got hooked to plot line from the middle as things started to get more serious.
My fav character is Kull, he has luck going on with him or he would have been goner.
At some parts it felt a little slow and drawn out but it could be glossed over. And the romantic feeling of Olivia felt little too fast, I mean I like him but yeah. But I liked how it ended and has left me wanting to know more of what is Olive going to face and
Michelle A
Dec 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Miscategorized YA

For a YA fluff, not bad. Basic sentence structure, no real developement of characters, most likely be drawn out across the entire series. Wish amazon would require authors to list their books in the right sections, or allow readers to pick genres to exclude in search results.
Joann Herley
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olive (half human/half elf) is a head strong woman determined to save her godson. Her journey unleashes a suspense filled story that I didn’t want to put down. You are introduced to numerous characters that cross Olive’s path. Are they good or bad? It is difficult to determine. The author keeps you guessing until the very end.
Bronwen Taylor
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Could have benefited from a brutal editor. 70% of this book is unnecessary waffle, somewhere underneath all the padding is an interesting take on fairies
Jenika Ioffreda
Aug 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not bad, but I lost interest pretty quickly and I stopped reading.
Jen
See my full review of this title on my book blog, So Few Books, at: https://sofewbooks.blogspot.com/2017/...!

This was a thoroughly delightful and rather extraordinary tale about a half-elf half-human gal named Olive who just happens to be Houston’s only Fairy World medical doctor. The world-building that occurs in this novel is very adept, both in terms of Olive’s personal sphere and the worlds around her at large.

Olive is the kind of kick-butt heroine that you can really enjoy rooting for, ev
Kyla Lockwood
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that defines new world

I lo ed this book....the first page I want sure about I was afraid of that first person writing alot of books like that come out more like a diary and are hard to read but this was awesome! Well written.
I absolutely loved the fact that I was questioning the plot twists all the way through. One of my bad is that I useally figure out the killer or bad guy halfway through but this book I did not. I enjoyed the characters and the world the author set for magic. Super cre
Jeanne Johnston
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I've ruined this by accidentally starting with book #3, and it certainly filled a LOT of holes for me... That said, I enjoyed this more, now the backstory is filling in. I'm even less sure why the heroine wants anything to do with Earth, though, especially with a tasty Viking as a lure.

Definitely commits you to the series, I'm afraid. I don't see these as standalone stories unless you don't mind gaps and unresolved cliffhangers. I don't mind that with a story well done, though, especially if th
Lynn Z
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this audiobook free for an honest review. Boy, am I glad I received this audiobook. It is full of intrigue, suspense, magic and a world of strange beings. You need to pay close attention because this is a world of mystery and fantasy. There is a reason for everything, only you don't know that at first. Tamara has an ingenious, creative mind. Her imagination is awesome and she brings you in to it. The narration was good as well. Loved this book. Can't wait to see where it goes from her ...more
Nan
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Dreamthief tells of Olive’s quest to save her godson’s dream soul from the fairy realm. As a half human/half elf Olive can travel between the human world and Faythander, the fairy world. Ms. Grantham’s world building is interesting, although I hope she goes into more detail in future installments. In Faythander Olive is joined by a variety of companions in her search, most notably the Wult prince Kull. There is plenty of action (including sword fighting!), mystery, political intrigue and, of cou
Michelle VanDaley
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
My review is based on the Audiobook. DreamThief is Book one in the series and the Author does a fatastic job of laying the groundwork. The world building is so vivid. All of the different species and their abilities along with the perfectly paced story keeps you captivated the entire story. Gillian Rose did an amazing job at bringing this story to life with distinct and easy to understand narration. I look forward to more from this Author & narrator. I was given this free review copy audiobo ...more
Lisa
May 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Despite the raging incompetence of Olive (she didn't know how to use her magic, she always needed rescuing), I'm interested in reading more of the story because I'm curious about all of the other characters and what is going on in the world. We didn't see her act as an MD except for in the very beginning of the story, so I'm not sure why it's so important that she is identified in the subtitle a "Olive, Fairy MD" or whatever.
Shekeilah
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Just Wow! If you're looking for a book with action/adventure on every chapter, look no further! This is the book for you. It got me hooked from beginning to end. It's like myths and legends combined together. Maybe even better! I love Olive's bravery and Kull's snarky remarks. I loved the adventure and challenges they face. I also love Kitten's part!

I warn the evil forces or evil humans, be scared for the fairy MD is here to save the day!
J. B. Jenn
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot express how much I enjoyed this book other than it only took me 2 days to read it. I haven't gone through a book this fast in a long time.

The story was amazing and just captured me instantly. The detail sucked me right into the world and I am saddened the story is over.

This book comes highly recommended!
Janet L. Hage
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would make an excellent roll playing game like dungeon and dragons

Olive is half Fae and half human raised by the king of Dragons. A psychiatrist, Olive, that works with the humans that have had contact with the land of Fae. Her God son is kidnapped by the dream thief. Lots of action, mystery, love on this quest. Teen readers and older due to violence.
Araldia
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly gripping and enjoyable.

An interesting take on the elf/fairy/goblin family tree provides the fundamental basis for the story. Clever use of charms and world transitioning allows for an intriguing story development with interesting characters. Definitely putting the next book on my wishlist.
  • The Wild Hunt (Faerie Sworn, #1)
  • Die Suche beginnt (Die Chroniken der Seelenwächter, #1)
  • Hidden In Shadows (Shadow Court Chronicles #1)
  • The Curse Merchant (The Dark Choir #1)
  • Miss Landon and Aubranael (Tales of Aylfenhame #1)
  • Wings of Shadow (Underground, #1)
  • Moribund (Circuit Fae, #1)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2015: Queers Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • Daddy's Bossy Friend
  • The Rules of Love (Rulebook, #1)
  • Shadow's Edge (Shadow's Edge, #1)
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Hammerless Bell (Girl Genius, #11)
  • Blood and Guitars (Blood and Guitars, #1)
  • Stealing the Elf-King's Roses
  • Cursed Ever After (Eternal Vampires)
  • Tender (The Trelawneys of Williamsburg #1)
  • Auraria
  • Blood Bound (Gallows, #1)
Tamara Grantham is the award-winning author of more than half a dozen books and novellas, including the Olive Kennedy: Fairy World MD series, the Twisted Ever After trilogy, and the Shine novellas. Dreamthief, the first book of her Fairy World MD series, won first place for fantasy in INDIEFAB’S Book of the Year Awards, a RONE award for best New Adult Romance, and is a #1 bestseller on Amazon with ...more

Olive Kennedy, Fairy World M.D. (7 books)
  • Spellweaver (Olive Kennedy, Fairy World M.D., #2)
  • Bloodthorn (Olive Kennedy, Fairy World M.D., #3)
  • Silverwitch (Olive Kennedy, Fairy World M.D., #4)
  • Goblinwraith (Olive Kennedy, Fairy World M.D., #5)
  • Deathbringer (Olive Kennedy, Fairy World M.D., #6)
  • Grayghost (Olive Kennedy, Fairy World M.D., #7)
“The possibilities of where your imagination might take you are limitless. There is no wall or barrier your own thoughts cannot penetrate.” 0 likes