Start by marking “Baby, it's Cold” as Want to Read:
Baby, it's Cold

Baby, it's Cold

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  543 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
Talk about Kitchen Nightmares! TV Chef Rocky and Foodie Blogger Jesse have been pals forever, so it should have been the most natural thing in the world to kick their relationship up a notch. Instead, it turned out to be a disaster. But Christmas is the season of love, and someone’s cooking up a sweet surprise…

(This story is also available in the COMFORT AND JOY anthology)
Published December 6th 2014 by Josh Lanyon

To ask other readers questions about Baby, it's Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby, it's Cold

Baba
2.5 stars. Review posted December 21, 2014

photo 11605930_zpslbgwwcer.gif

Option A
1 + 1 + 1 = 3
Option B
1 + 1 = 2

Baba, what would you like to choose? I take option B. Thank you. (view spoiler) Thank you.
Baba, stop being so polite. (view spoiler) Got it?

Though the writing was very good, I can't deny the fact that (view spoiler) and the resolution came too late. And that (view spoiler)
Ingela
Review written February 28, 2016

2 1/2 Stars - Pretty pale but a bit xmas'ish sweet

Once again was it time for a Josh Lanyon audiobook. This time a 2 hours Christmas novella well enough narrated by Michael Ferraiuolo. — Baby, it's Cold is my 37th book (novel, romance, crime fiction, short story, novella, serial part..) by JL and I'm sorry but this was actually poorly "meh'. There are so many to choose between, choose another one (and you will smile a lot more)

*************************************
Dina
Why have I put this book in the "cooking" shelf? Well, Jesse's dinner preparation was so thoroughly described that I had the impression that I was reading one of Jamie Oliver's cooking books. Sorry, but that's not what I want to read in romance novels.

Despite that, I really liked Jesse and Mr. Lanyon's writing was good as always, so this ended up being an okay read. Disappointing because I know he can do - and have done - better, but not bad.
Anyta Sunday
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Yep, liked this one too. I would have liked a little more resolution, because I still felt hurt at the end of this, but the emotion gripped me and the story was a quirky read.

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
A second chance Christmas story. Also, the frontrunner for the creepiest romance cover - ever.
Two months ago Jesse and Rocky's relationship ended because of jealousy.
Jesse is trying to make things right by coming to Rocky's cabin and cooking a nice Christmas meal for him. The problem is he isn't the only one who has decided to make his move this Christmas.
I so wanted Louis to get a hint and leave sooner. Thanks to him, the ending is abrupt.
Natasha
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars!

Not a bad story, but by far one of my least favorite of Lanyon's. I couldn't connect with the characters, but the story was still very unique.
Elizabetta

Oh, this is funny. In parts. In the beginning…

… the set-up, the snarky banter, what Jesse is hoping to achieve with his master plan. He comes from a family of chefs, has some skills of his own, and maybe making a romantic dinner for his ex-lover, Rocky, will do the trick. Food for comfort. Delicious food… After a disastrous breakup, maybe he can make things right again with Rocky. It helps that Rocky’s cabin up in the mountains is isolated, holds romantic memories of better times, and may be th
Mark
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jesse turns up to cook for Rocky a TV cook show star for him and his manager. It should have been Jesse’s grandfather but this is just a plan to try and win Rocky back. Jesse and Rocky have known each other for a long time and have a shared history, from friends to lovers. the lovers period didn’t last long and although good was a bit of a disaster. However, Jesse doesn’t want to give up. So he tries to eat humble pie and cooks for Rocky and his manager who he thinks are now together.

So we have
KC
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Christmas story I’ve been waiting for! I’m amazed at how this happens every single time with Josh Lanyon’s writing, how it makes my heart soar with so much emotion it's hard to breathe sometimes. A sweet heart-squeezer, this story made me laugh and smile and tear up and then laugh again. I love the premise of the story, fresh and unexpected, and Jesse’s courage won me over immediately, and again throughout the story. The way the cooking ties in with Jesse’s emotional state is brilliantly don ...more
Dante Love Fisher
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
What begins as a terrible plan at a second chance, just gets worse and worse.

It also reminded me of why I don't like to cook.

Very cute!

Meep
Nov 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
First BIG thanks to the secret gifter - I really wanted to read this and was thrilled to receive it. It was a lovely surprise when it turned up in my account. Makes me wish I could give this all the stars.

The writing is good, it's easy reading and there was no question of not finishing it.
Unfortunately the characters are unlikeable, uninteresting and all the way through I was thinking they were better off apart.

At the start I felt dropped in the middle of a story. For a short story there is to
Irina
Feb 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Audible

Not my favourite by JL but still endearing in its familiar style. This one has no mystery in it at all, though. Just a short romance à la JL.

вιвℓισρнιℓια {кιηgѕℓєу & ѕøяєη ƒσяєνєя}
description....

Run-of-the-mill second chance, with a touch of Christmas thrown in.
⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
3.8 Stars

Without a mystery to zero the focus, it felt very different than the JL stories I'm used to. Much more a character study, with some really great emotional development and maturity. I loved that these guys could take a look at what maybe went wrong when they originally dated, address the problems and try to move forward.

Unfortunately, I'm not a foodie. I don't really watch cooking shows and so all the details about ingredients & how to prepare the dishes was just too much empty fodde
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book rating: 3
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 3.8

I’m not a foodie but I like a “man in the kitchen” story. This was not a typical Josh Lanyon (no murder/mystery) but I enjoyed it very much. Way to short for a bunch of stars but I really liked it. I gobbled it up. I enjoy the little pieces of humor the author sprinkles in her stories.
Johanna
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Baby, it's Cold is a delightful holiday novella from the Comfort and Joy anthology. Josh Lanyon's holiday stories never disappoint and this one was no exception. It's wild, funny and heart-squeezing at times. Reading the story feels a lot like watching a brilliant sitcom episode — it's extremely visual, perfectly timed, immensely entertaining with priceless dialogue that makes you laugh out loud. The "love triangle" going on in the story gives a delicious final touch to it all. I also like the f ...more
Salsera1974
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute story, though I do think the protagonist was out of his mind. Still, even though I didn't get some of his choices, I rolled with them. (And if you've spent any time in the San Bernardino Mountains, you'll appreciate the setting. Yes, it snows in Southern California. Just not on the coast.) This was a nice way to lose an hour or two.
DaisyGirl
4.0 Angsty Christmas Stars

I really enjoyed this Christmas short. It was funny, entertaining, and had the emo in me preening. The sex was off-page but surprisingly the story didn't lack for it.

Bottom line: A recommended holiday read!
Nerea
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-short-story
3.5*
Gosh this was angsty!! ok Low key angsty but angsty anyways!! I spend all the short narration in tension and with a very sad feeling because the things they told about the failure relationships sound so real and painful ;_;
Really cute ending at least!!
M'rella
Typical JL and perfect for me tonight. I see the pitfalls, but by now I learned to navigate JL's fiction and not to expect something he wouldn't offer anyway.

Susan
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW: 12/19/15

I'm on a holiday audiobooks kick...it's like the audiobook is taking the place of listening to Christmas carols this year!

I enjoyed this narration. I do think there were some over-the-top parts...the narrator likes to use accents that felt a bit off, or just TOO grandiose.

But, I enjoyed it nonethless. I think the last chapters, when Rocky and Jesse finally talk through their feelings...were really strong and listening to it made it feel MORE REAL. I was surpr
DL
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Okay, this was a short story and as such, one should not expect too much in the way of character development, or background, or resolution. In other words, one shouldn't expect much of anything except a few moments of entertainment. Except this story didn't even entertain me. It left me...wait for it....
cold.
KatieMc
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
This is about as Christmassy as I like my stories. I'm probably alone in thinking that a 3 way with Louie might have been a bit more festive.
Shannon
Audible Review:
Story 3*
Performance 4*
Overall 3*

This was a cute, quick listen. Jesse was sweet and I thought it was adorable what he was doing for Rocky, but then Louis...ugh. I wish there had been just a little more time with Jess and Rocky together there at the end, even for a novella it felt a little too abrubt.
I loved the narration, Michael did a fantastic job!

***Borrowed through the Audible Romance Package
Barb ~rede-2-read~
This was a great audiobook narrated by the very talented Michael Ferraiuolo.

It's the story of Jesse and Rocky, two long-time friends who became lovers and then broke up when Jesse was jealous of Rocky paying attention to his fans. Rocky is a TV chef and Jesse is a food writer.

When Jesse decides to surprise Rocky on Christmas Eve with a candlelight dinner intended as an apology and chance to get back together, the tables are turned when Rocky's manager shows up and takes the credit for planning
Dee
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it

This was short but it made me feel things (and I'm referring to my tepid heart you filthy gutter minds!). I can completely see a man doing something so idiotic rather than just picking up the phone or going over for a talk. It's all about the grand gesture, even when it comes with flu! But seriously, this was really, really, saccharine sweet, it made me smile, and I even got a tear in my eye too (to be fair it doesn't take much for me to cry though) so that's pretty impressive for a qu
Lisa
Jesse, goes to Rockys cabin on the pretext that he has been hired by a mystery person to cook a Christmas Eve meal.nhowever, there isn't a mystery person and jesse wants to talk and see if there is a chance to salvage their relationship.
However, enter Louis. He is also after Rocky and oretends he has hired Jesse.
This is a short book. No sex but a cute story. Just the stuff for Christmas.
Debbie McGowan
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
This was great, other than the extensive recipe instructions. Filler much? The usual wit and dry humour is there, and the characters were feisty but likeable. A great story - I don't need to know what goes in a tiramisù or how to cook mussels. :)
Katharina
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5

Thought all the snow in the story would make me feel a little less hot today.

Yeah, that didn't work.

Still a good story, though, an interesting idea, for sure, excellently written. I wasn't the biggest fan of the resolution, to be honest, but that's up to me, I guess.
Trio
What a nice, sweet story. Loved the MC, great pace - fun read.
  • Comfort and Joy
  • Waiting for Winter
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
  • Hopes and Fears
  • The Working Elf Blues
  • Men Under the Mistletoe
  • Merry Gentlemen
  • Candy Man (Candy Man #1)
  • New York Christmas
  • A Prairie Dog's Love Song
  • Wish Come True
  • Gingerbread Palace (Delectable #4)
  • I Don't: A Christmas Wish
  • Carol of the Bellskis (Bellskis, #1)
  • Magic & Mistletoe
  • Grumble Monkey and the Department Store Elf (2013 Advent Calendar - Heartwarming)
  • What Happens at Christmas
Bestselling author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance, JOSH LANYON has been called "arguably the single most influential voice in m/m romance today." Granted, that was yesterday.

Today Josh's work has been translated into nine languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be publi