Start by marking “A Madness So Discreet” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  6,436 Ratings  ·  1,448 Reviews
Grace Mae knows madness.

She keeps it locked away, along with her voice, trapped deep inside a brilliant mind that cannot forget horrific family secrets. Those secrets, along with the bulge in her belly, land her in a Boston insane asylum.

When her voice returns in a burst of violence, Grace is banished to the dark cellars, where her mind is discovered by a visiting doctor w
Published October 6th 2015 by Katherine Tegen Books

Emily May
When I picked this book up, I confess I was hoping for something. Something that the blurb had promised and that the creepy, beautiful cover reinforced. I wanted this: the fine line between sanity and insanity, good and evil—and the madness that exists in all of us.

And I got it - for the first 10% of the book.

A Madness So Discreet opens wonderfully and horrifically. Grace Mae is in a Boston mental asylum where she has been hidden away to hide the family shame - she carries a baby that her own
Lola  Reviewer
Jul 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish

This feels like a second version of Jackaby, meaning there’s this lost girl, this intelligent, cheeky detective, this pointless and dull case and a weird atmosphere above it all. The only huge difference is there are no fantasy elements in it. No werewolves. No magic. I guess this is why I liked Jackaby slightly better, but really, both are sluggish and underwhelming. Did not finish at fifty percent.
Lotte
I LOVED THIS. (I'm currently trying to write a coherent review for this, because I don't understand why this doesn't have the raving reviews it so clearly deserves and I want more people to read it.)
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
*Warning: I cuss. As usual.

Am I a fan of bone-chilling thrillers? Yes.
Am I a fan of spine-tingling horrors? YES.
Am I a fan of hair-raising brilliancy? ASDFGHJKL YES.

Was A Madness So Discreet any of those things? Erm... no.

Then what the heck was it?!

Honestly, I'm not too sure myself. If anything, A Mandess So Discreet was weird as fuck. I had no idea what the heck was going on. And if I'm being really honest (which I am), I would have to say that the whole book just felt so pretentious.

First of a
aria [dear darling reader]
THIS UNCORRECTED PROOF IS PROVIDED BY HARPER COLLINS IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW.

"They work their discreet types of madness on us, power and pain, and we hold to our truths in the darkness.

Okay.

Let's play a game.

Let's play "Guess What This Book is About".

If you look at the cover and the title of this book, what do you think it's about?

Go.

I came into this book thinking that it was going to be some dark, twisted book about insanity and maddness. I got that from the book cover and the syn
Vitor Martins
Antes de pegar esse livro pra ler eu vi um monte de gente dizendo que ele "foi totalmente diferente do que eu imaginei" e MESMO SABENDO DISSO, esse livro foi totalmente diferente do que eu imaginei.

O plot desse livro é como um cachorro doido que fica correndo de um lado pro outro quando chega visita, querendo carinho, querendo brincar, querendo comida e de repente você está louco gritando O QUE VOCÊ QUER DE MIM?????????

Isso fez com que eu demorasse um pouco pra entrar na história porque eu ficav
grace
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I was not expecting to love this book as much as I did. Can't wait to talk about it more in my wrap up!

“They all had their terrors.”

This was an okay story, but it struggled to hold my attention.

I felt quite sorry for Grace at the start of this book, she’d been through a lot, was pregnant, and incarcerated in an insane asylum, and things were really not going well for her at all. As the book progressed I didn’t like her all that much though. She made some hasty and risky dec
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
I loved everything about it. Hello new auto-buy author. This book will definitely be in my top 10 favorite books of 2015.

4.5 stars.

This title is perfect for this book. There is indeed a discreet madness that seeps through the pages. This is a very subtle yet powerful story that will keep you up all night.

Grace is locked away in an asylum to protect her secret. She keeps her sharp mind hidden behind silence, because Grace has one mission: never return to her family, even if that means she has to
Kai
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, 2018
“I think we're all quite mad. Some of us are just more discreet about it.”

Mindy McGinnis instantly became one of my favourite authors when I received an ARC of This Darkness Mine and found it to be one of the most extraordinary books I had ever read. A few months later I picked up her newest novel The Female of the Species, which was equally captivating. Which is why I then bought A Madness So Discreet. First I fell in love with the title, then with this amazing cover.

A Madness So Discreet was a
Paulo Ratz
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Deveriam ser 4,5 estrelas.

Eu confesso que fiquei impressionado com essa história. Primeiro eu achava que seria BEM YA. E NADA NEM NINGUÉM vai me convencer que esse livro seja YA. Pra mim tudo desse livro remete a uma literatura adulta. A personagem pode ter seus 17..18 (na verdade nem sei se isso é falado), mas o ponto de análise não é esse. Os acontecimentos são muito pesados pra um livro YA, envolvem estupro, prostituição, assassinatos, além disso tudo, acho a linguagem do livro bem complexa p
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, young-adult
Actual Rating: 4.5

The haunting atmosphere, the subtle divide between madness and sanity, the twisting murder mystery and the mentorship of an investigative phrenologist - I savoured all of these in A Madness So Discreet. I absolutely LOVED the subtlety of the psychological problems and how even the most insane were found to have more humanity than the people outside of the asylum.

Grace as a character was fascinating, as a pregnant girl cast aside and sent to the asylum. She finds a way to escape
Trina (Between Chapters)
Edit - Upping my rating to 5 stars (from original 4.5) since it's the end of the month and I'm still gushing about this book! Definitely my favorite read of the month.

Video - 4 Reasons You Should Read This Book! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSkp4...

Why this book is AWESOME:

-Strong female protagonist overcoming legit trauma in her past. She worked through it in such a real and raw way. She has a dark side and makes some bad choices but she was such an empowering character.

-Healthy portrayal of
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
This is easily one of the most enthralling covers i have ever seen. Does anyone know if the book is any good?

Sana
That was one fucking satisfying read!
Kyla Harris
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
2/4/16 - 3.5 stars
This book as a whole is beautiful. Mindy McGinnis' writing is amazing I could read it a long while. The only thing that really displeased me was that there was no romance in this book whatsoever though I think this is a very non necessary, or fair at that, thing for a book to be rated by, that's exactly what I'm doing. For me a book can't only be based on crimes and murder and getting revenge. There most be subplots and usally for me that is romance... Without it I was hooked t
Paige  Bookdragon

description

"It's a madness so discreet that it can walk the streets and be applauded in some circles, but it is madness nonetheless."

I'm a fan of books that tackles the dark side of human nature. The irony though is that despite my love for the the evil nature of human, I still want my main character to be relatable.

A Madness So Discreet is a good book. Not great or bad but a good book. Let me start with why I gave it a 3.7 star instead of a solid 4 star.

What I don't like:

Vanessa
tw: rape, miscarriage, murder, incest, gruesome scenes.

I recently decided what books I should buy as gifts to myself for Christmas.
Yes, I do that. I'm a control freak.
Anyway. There were some that didn't quite convince me, so I picked them up in these days instead of buying the physical copies. My suspicions were right and A Madness So Discreet has been the worst of those books I've discarded.
Let's start from the title, because it's blatantly deceiving. I was expecting a novel set in an asylum in
Jess
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
So this was an unexpected page turner of a book for me. I saw it while at the library and picked it up on an impulse. What a novel idea of a plot that was not only heart wrenching but also so clinically detached and logical. I loved it. I actually am super curious to see if this will be the beginning of a series, which I sincerely hope will be the case. McGinnis has created far too interesting characters to let them remain as is, in my humble opinion as a reader.

What Is It About (keeping it b
Naudia
"I think we're all quite mad. Some of us are just more discreet about it."

Yes. Yes. Yes.

But first! Logistics.

Grace Mae knows madness. This is the truest statement if I've ever seen one. Grace is one of many people in the asylum being kept there under false pretenses, and a tragic event further secures her family's mantra of her being "insane" or "mad".

Grace Mae and Doctor Thornhollow solve crimes together, and I often found myself trying to piece together clues and solve the things myself. Thi
Lauren Stoolfire
Grace has an absolutely brilliant mind and an eye for detail. She knows terrible family secrets and has been shipped off to a brutal Boston insane asylum until the bulge in her belly is gone in nine months time. The only way she can deal with her situation is to shut down her mind and lock away her voice, but when it returns in a fit of violence she is relegated to the cellar where all of the worst patients are held. While down there she is discovered by a visiting doctor who also dabbles in the ...more
Nastassja
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of dark conflicted historical YA

Actual rating: 3.4

"It’s a madness so discreet that it can walk the streets and be applauded in some circles, but it is madness nonetheless.”

Sanity and insanity. Are these two easily distinguished or things are more complicated than it seems? What is the line between sanity and madness? And what defines it? These existential questions people are trying to answer for centuries and still there's no direct solution or a formula which will calculate the right universal answer for all the problems. A

Annamaria
"The original meaning of the word asylum is, in fact, protection. I hope you have found it to be so in your bright surroundings, as I have found my own niche here in the dark."

I didn't know much going into this book, I usually get so blinded by beautiful covers that, here on Goodreads, I just need to look at the book's shelves and decide whether to pick it up or not. Here the cover is stunning and words such as horror and gothic convinced me. Does that make me shallow? Maybe, but who cares? The
Neil (or bleed)
With a beautiful and intriguing cover, I thought A Madness So Discreet had failed to mesmerize or even fully haunt me. But I will not deny the fact that I still liked it and enjoyed and consumed some aspects this book had offered.

The beginning was pretty creepy and disturbing; the main character being in an asylum filled with horrors, terrors and madness is creepy and disturbing, right? And it is kinda haunting and felt like the horrors were starting to seep on my veins. Then, I've geared up mys
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This review was originally posted on It Starts at Midnight
>A Madness So Discreet is almost like an old-timey version of Criminal Minds. Set in an insane asylum, back when those were still a thing.ezgif-2585049417

First, the scarily accurate representation of how people with mental health issues is disturbing at best. But this is a good thing, it means the author has certainly done her homework, and has managed to create this terrible, yet all too real atmosphere inside the asylum.

Things in the beginning are

Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Arc provided via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review
Alyssa

Rating: 3 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

Summary (from Goodreads):

Grace Mae knows madness.

When her voice returns in a burst of violenc
Iara Picolo
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vamos lá, cartas na mesa ok? Comecei esse livro achando que seria uma linda história sobre uma menininha que acha ser louca (quando ela é completamente só um ser humano) e aí um príncipe encantado vem e salva ela da própria loucura (que nem existe). Sério. Eu achei que seria isso mesmo. Então, o livro veio e falou BUUUUUUUUUUURRRNN BIIIIIIIIITCH, bem na minha cara.
O livro conta a história da Grace, uma menina que está em um hospício, grávida. E ali dentro ela começa a descobrir o que é insanida
Stacee
I loved the idea of this story and I had only heard good things about Mindy's other story, so I was quite eager to start.

Love love loved Grace and Thornhollow. They're excellent together and I loved how the banter progressed as the time passed. I really enjoyed the entire cast of characters and found myself wanting more from all of them.

There are definitely some twists in this story that I didn't see coming and the ending was absolutely satisfying.

**Huge thanks to Katherine Tegen Books and Ed
Alise  (Readers in Wonderland)
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
“These are your friends now, Grace Mae. A madman who eats cancer in the dark and another who searches for a different kind of killer, the kind that smiles at you in the light of day. This is your new life. I hope you can stand it.”
McGinnis first impressed me with her dystopian/survival stories in NOT A DROP TO DRINK and IN A HANDFUL OF DUST. When I found out she was tackling something totally new I was a little hesitant, but excited. Although I had a few issues with A MADNESS SO DISCREET, I h
  • Velvet Undercover
  • Da Vinci's Tiger
  • This Monstrous Thing
  • Traitor Angels
  • The Uninvited
  • Walk on Earth a Stranger  (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #1)
  • Tangled Webs (Tangled Webs, #1)
  • Revenge and the Wild
  • The Creeping
  • The Unquiet
  • A Drop of Night
  • Underneath Everything
  • Dead to Me
  • Vengeance Road (Vengeance Road, #1)
  • Daughters Unto Devils
  • Twisted Fate
  • Dreamstrider
  • These Shallow Graves

Mindy McGinnis is a YA author who has worked in a high school library for thirteen years. Her debut, NOT A DROP TO DRINK, a post-apocalyptic survival story set in a world with very little freshwater, has been optioned for film my Stephanie Meyer's Fickle Fish Films. The companion novel, IN A HANDFUL OF DUST was released in 2014. Her Gothic historical thriller, A MADNESS SO DISCREET won the
More about Mindy McGinnis

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“It's a madness so discreet that it can walk the streets and be applauded in some circles, but it is madness nonetheless.” 45 likes
“Sometimes the loveliest places harbor the worst monsters.” 33 likes