Start by marking “Beware the Little White Rabbit” as Want to Read:
Beware the Little White Rabbit

Beware the Little White Rabbit

Curiosity often leads to trouble...

Thirteen powerful voices in young adult fiction invite you to journey into startling new Wonderlands in this nod to the 150th anniversary of Lewis Carrolls timeless character, ALICE.

Mystery. Madness. Mayhem. Each story in this collection will intrigue, bewitch, and enchant. Through rich historicals, castles and keeps, wild wormholes,
Paperback, First Edition, 370 pages
Published April 14th 2015 by Leap Books, LLC (first published April 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Beware the Little White Rabbit, please sign up.
Jacqueline Horsfall I've probably read Alice 3 or 4 times, most recently the annotated edition that explains the derivation of some of the unfamiliar British words and…moreI've probably read Alice 3 or 4 times, most recently the annotated edition that explains the derivation of some of the unfamiliar British words and terminology used. Of course then there's Jabberwocky, one of my favorite poems of all times, that I can recite by heart. (less)

Start your review of Beware the Little White Rabbit
Judith Graves
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I can't wait for this anthology to launch. Fans of Alice, horror, romance, thriller, sci-fi, historical fiction, steampunk...it's got just about every reader covered. But BEWARE, once you follow the little white rabbit...you might not want to come back.
Rebecca McNutt
As usual, why is Alice's Adventures in Wonderland associated with insanity?

description

Modern authors always see the classic Carroll novel as some kind of allegory for insanity, mental hospitals or drugs. I guess we've got Jefferson Airplane, Resident Evil, Beatrice Sparks and American McGee to blame for that - oh, and that godawful live-action CGI Disney thing with the creepy-as-hell Tim Burtonified characters. But the book itself is just an adventure fantasy story about a little girl and her daydreams.
Shannon Delany
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT has short stories for all types of YA lit lovers. Steampunk, fantasy, romance, science fiction, history, and horror help round out this book. Instead of crafting a single genre homage to Lewis Carroll's Alice, Leap Books BEWARE strives to echo the diversity found in Carroll's Wonderland with a wide selection of story genres.

Many people (from around the world) submitted stories, and the vast majority of them were rejected. The stories that were chosen demonstrated
Jacqueline Horsfall
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Even though I'm the author of one story included in this anniversary anthology, I couldn't let the opportunity pass without commenting on the other 12 stories. A unique mix of genres covering historical, fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk, contemporary, each story featuring a bold Alice and her Otherworld guide -- that pesky white rabbit. As much as I love the original Alice, it was fun to see her in new settings, eras, and incredible new conflicts. Kudos to my talented co-authors!
K.L. Hallam
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a ride! Each Alice adventure left me a little shifted. So much fun.
Tracey
Oh, so that's why I've been seeing Alice so often lately: it's the 150th anniversary.

I hate to admit it but I've never been entirely enamored of Alice. It's another childhood classic that I somehow never read, like The Wizard of Oz - just never had a copy, or something.

The call for entries seems to have specified that there be a young main character named Alice, a white rabbit, and a fall. Another theme running through a lot of the stories is that parents can be perilous, unreliable,
Melissa Simmons
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing collection of short stories; all unique new twists on a classic tale.

Alice Through the Wormhole by Charlotte Bennardo is the first story in the Beware the Little White Rabbit anthology. I have to admit that I squee'd a little when I saw Char's name listed with the authors for this. I absolutely loved her Sirenz books (penned with Natalie Zaman) and was excited to see how her solo work would compare.

From the very first line, I was absolutely hooked-the Sci-Fi element was
Tonja Drecker
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for all fairy tale fans, who have dreamed of following Alice into the rabbit hole and seeing where it might lead them. There are thirteen stories, each introduced with a lovely picture and accompanied with cute little rabbits between scene changes. (Yes, I love tiny little extras like this.) The stories center around an 'Alice', a rabbit and a hole, but that's where the similarities end.

Although I honestly wondered if reading about the same main character again and again
Medeia Sharif
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm one of the authors of this anthology. My short story aside, I thoroughly enjoyed the stories that covered a variety of genres from the other 12 authors. It was interesting reading about Alice through their lens, and going through new adventures and situations with these familiar, yet reinvented, characters.
Moujnir
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beware the White Rabbit is an anthology with 13 stories, all inspired by Alice in Wonderland and starring Alice herself as the main character in all of them. It sounds like it could get repetitive really quickly, but rest assured, this anthology is the exact opposite of repetitive. All of these stories are so unique, so brilliant in the way that that are told, that you can't help but fall in love with each and every one of them.

Alice, Through The Wormhole was action packed and a wonderful sci-fi
Liam Hogan
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm one of the 13 authors in this YA anthology, centred on Alice and "a white rabbit", but not necessarily the Alice in Wonderland (or the rabbit!) we know. Some stories very much take more inspiration from the original than others, with the element of fantasy largely missing from a couple - the young romance "Alice in Wilderland", say. Personally, I'm a sucker for "curiouser and curiouser" elements Alice in Wonderland.

It's a lovely book, with bold illustrations to introduce each story that
Jessica Bayliss
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: ya
13 Unique Tales by 13 talented authors. This book has a little bit of everything, no matter what your tastes run.
Raquel (Rocki)
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
Some of these were pretty good I especially liked the ones that were kind of sci-fi. I think one of my favorite though it wasn't my favorite at first was the one written in 2nd person. Though I was tired of hearing about different Alice's I need to read about a different name now.
Megan
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars!
This was the first anthology I ever listened to, and I have some mixed feelings on it. There are a variety of genres represented in this book. The stories are all very different, but they all contain a few elements. They seem to be a girl named Alice, a white rabbit, and a problem of some kind that Alice needs to work through. Things are not always what they appear is a common theme throughout the book.
I have shortly broken down my thoughts on each story individually below:

-Alice
Krystal Jane
This took me way too long to read. I really only liked 6 out of 13 stories. Everything is subjective, so I put my thoughts about each story below.

Alice Through the Wormhole - The science fiction elements were easy enough to follow, but Alices actions made no sense. The whole story felt unnecessary, like it could have been wrapped up in a few pages but instead was dragged out for no reason.

They Call Me Alice - I didnt like this. The Alice in this story felt like she was 6 years old instead of
Heather
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The most fun I've had reading an anthology in a long time. You'd think that in 13 stories about a heroine named Alice who encounters a white rabbit you might get bored or at least get the Alices mixed up. But every thrilling tale in this collection (by established and new authors) has a unique, memorable Alice and a new and interesting take on the heroine's journey. Fans of every genre will find something to enjoy: science fiction, fantasy, romance, historical, contemporary, horror, steampunk, ...more
Rachel
Dec 14, 2015 marked it as to-read
This is what immediately popped into my head when I saw the title and cover:

rabbit-attack

Run away
Melissa Hayden
3.5 Stars
The magnificent thing with this anthology in audio form is immediately seeing how vast the narrators voice is. She slips into different persona's and emotions with each story.

Each story has something the Alice's need to work through or learn. There is something, even small, that bothers them about their self or the world they are in and through following the white rabbit they learn there is something better at the other end of the tunnel. There is something for living in the world and
Beth
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I loved this anthology. It was weird and whimsical but also very enjoyable. Some of the stories where a bit strange, and generally not what I was expecting, but for the most part I really enjoyed it. I love retellings in general and this one was just so perfect because it was just took so many different aspect of the original story and twisted them in so many different ways. I loved it. I feel like this is a really good anthology. Most of the stories in it where a bit dark and twisted, but I ...more
Lenni Jones
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3.7
Beware the Little White Rabbit is an anthology of different versions of Alice in Wonderland to celebrate 150 years since Alice first took her adventure. I loved some stories, was interested by others, and some just weren't my type. Here are my ratings which I averaged to create my overall rating(1 star is the lowest you can get):

Alice, Through the Wormhole by Charlotte Bennardo: 3.5/5

They Call Me Alice by C. Lee McKenzie: 3/5

Alice, Last of the Beating Hearts by David Turnbull:
Melissa
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Some stories were not to my liking and one in particular was.
Martha
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderfully creative and entertaining anthology of Alice and the White Rabbit spin-off tales. My rating 4.5.

This is a really fun collection of thirteen stories which spring from Alice in Wonderland and the white rabbit. At least one Amazon review gives a summary of each title so I am not going to do so beyond the brief descriptions here. I cannot name one favorite as I enjoyed so many but my favorites included: Alice through the Wormhole (Alice chasing a rabbit in space); They Call Me
Sarah Crawford
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book has 13 stories related to Alice in Wonderland. The stories are from different authors and they all seem to be quite original and interesting takes on the Alice in Wonderland theme.
The first story is a really good space adventure with the White Rabbit as a thief. The second story involves a Chinese girl adopted by American parents and renamed Alice. Chinese mythology is part of the story.
The third story is another science fiction one, this one about robots at war with humanity and a
Diane
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Readers of Carroll's classic Alice in Wonderland should ideally have recent familiarity reading or re-reading this classic, because the interpretations and extrapolations in the young adult short story collection Beware the Little White Rabbit offer alternative visions of the underlying meaning and power of the Alice character and her world, and perfectly compliment Carroll's original creation.

Take the opener by Charlotte Bennardo, 'Alice Through the Wormhole', for one example. The story begins
Lilmissmolly
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beware the Little White Rabbit by Shannon Delany is a unique collection of 13 short stories written by 13 different authors all featuring a girl named Alice and a white rabbit. This anthology was produced in honor of the 150th Anniversary of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. The genres for the different stories vary from contemporary, historical fiction, sci-fi, horror, romance, steampunk and, of course, fantasy. Most of the stories are well-written with believable characters.

I love
Claudette Hoffmann
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Huzzahs for Beware the Little White Rabbit, a collection of thirteen YA short stories which capture the essence of Lewis Carrolls Alice in thirteen different ways.

My two favorites were the SF entries: Charlotte Bennardos Alice Through the Wormhole and David Turnbulls Alice, Last of the Beating Hearts (how exciting can Alice get!).

But - surprise and joy - even when I got to the more surreal stories like White is a Human Construct and Alice and Her Shadow or the romantic ones like Alice in
Delta
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have been a huge fan of the Wonderland world for a very long time, so I was very excited to listen to this anthology. The variety of genres was interesting and I found the retellings to be refreshing. I'm not entirely convinced that an MC named Alice and a White Rabbit could be considered a retelling of Alice in Wonderland, but the stories were well written, nonetheless.

I listened to the audio version and Rhiannon Angell did an excellent job narrating. I thought multiple narrators read the
Annie
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
** I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review **

This is an excellent collection of stories based on Alice in Wonderland, All of them were interesting, entertaining and drew you in...It takes talent to write a good short story, and these authors nailed it....Quite enjoyable and narrated perfectly...I recommend!!!
Kayleigh  Sparrow
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
There was a couple of good stories in here (the aviary being my favourite) but mostly I was very disappointed with it.
It seemed a lot of the stories didn't have all that much to do with wonderland just a girl called Alice and some reference to a white rabbit. Maybe my standards are too high when it comes to Alice in Wonderland related reading but this book wasn't what I hoped it would be.
Heather
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: posttorrblog
I loved this audiobook! The narrator was amazing and did a great job with each character and individual story. The mix of stories was entertaining and diverse. A big recommendation for anyone who likes the fantasy and learning about new authors.

This audiobook was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review courtesy of AudiobookBoom dot com.

• Ghosters 3 Secrets of the Bloody Tower
  • Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night of Dread Desire
  • The Lesser Dead
  • Willard
  • Adam's Ladder
  • No One Gets Out Alive
  • The Tooth Fairy
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 1 (Tales of the Slayer, #1)
  • The Siren and the Specter
  • The Wild
  • The Bird Eater
  • Lullabies for Suffering: Tales of Addiction Horror
  • The Legacy
Shannon Delany's newest novel, WEATHER WITCH (St. Martin's Press) is already available for pre-order (which both stuns and delights Delany)!

Shannon Delany has written stories since she was a child. She began writing in earnest when her grandmother fell unexpectedly ill during a family vacation. In 2008 her greatly abbreviated version of 13 to Life (written in just five weeks) won the grand prize

News & Interviews