Start by marking “Toronto Comics Anthology (Toronto Comics, #1)” as Want to Read:
Toronto Comics Anthology (Toronto Comics, #1)

Toronto Comics Anthology

(Toronto Comics #1)

Toronto is a city teeming with life, where all kinds of stories are born and live.

Compiled in a fresh new anthology, some of Toronto’s newest talent share their own stories about the city; some fantastic, some terrifying, and some as real as the streets themselves.

Whether you’re looking for a tale to touch your heart or to chill your blood, you’ll find something that will
Published August 6th 2014 by Toronto Comics Anthology (first published August 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Toronto Comics Anthology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toronto Comics Anthology

Start your review of Toronto Comics Anthology (Toronto Comics, #1)
Sujit Nair
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
The buildings are the same. Maybe the city has changed.
Laura Stericker
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
A little outside of my usual genres in places, but fairly enjoyable regardless.
Marc Goodfellow
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Growing up in Milton, I had a choice of cities, Toronto or Hamilton. I made the obvious choice. Reading these stories reminded me of the great times I hade in the city. At the Gardens I would go see the titans of the WWF or watch the Leafs win, yes they used to do that. I would go see a show at one of the many theaters and no trip to the T. was complete without stopping in at the Silver Snail. I now take my daughters to Toronto whenever we get a chance, and I see that so many of my favorite haun ...more
Maggie Gordon
Toronto Comics is a collection of comics by Toronto artists that are all set in Toronto. It was a delightful volume of odd, fantastic, often funny little stories that were all set in places I see on a day to day basis (which is something I am always delighted by). Though some of the stories would have been better served with a longer page count, I enjoyed this first volume, and look forward to the next two that are sitting on my shelf as well.
AlmightyNovel
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome anthology. I am happy to support such a great group, and help promote the artists involved. I thoroughly enjoyed each story, and, as a Canadian not from Toronto, was given an awesome look into a city so close yet so far away from me. Looking forward to reading the next two!
Melissa Nisbet
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Like all anthologies, I enjoyed some stories more than others. As a whole, I do think this collection shows so much promise and can easily be a great contribution to Toronto comics one day. I'm excited to read TO Comics 2 and 3 and see how the culture of this anthology is progressing.
Jessie B.
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: anthology, can-lit, comic
An interesting collection of comics of various lengths and quality set in and around Toronto. I enjoyed it particularly the comics that looked into Toronto's history.
Terrence
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun anthology of comics about Toronto, by local creators. Some are more realistic than others but they all include a dash of something quintessentially Torontonian.
Rob Shapiro
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun read and to imagine so many great artists and writers in a city filled with so many stories. Can't wait for volume 2!
Ana
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Liked it a lot, really fun anthology!
Allan Olley
Apr 15, 2020 rated it liked it
This short anthology comics, contain 11 separate features. Five of these are short two page compositions that recount some strange, humorous or improbable bit of Toronto trivia (presented as fact and I think most have some basis in that), all authored by Chris Bird and drawn by various artists. These include "WTF at the CNE" (art Greg Jensen), "The Perfect Gold Heist of 1952" (Nick Hendriks), "The Cheese Poems of James McIntyre" (Adam Prosser), "The Disappearance of Ambrose Small" (Leo Lee) and ...more
Lawrence
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this! The historical vignettes were fun even when they mostly just illustrated a brief set of factoids, and several of the longer stories were incredible. I think my favourite "super Torontonian" one is "Brutal," with "The Scottish Play" as a "general" favourite, with "The Tale of the Eyeball Tree" as the middle of the venn diagram. Unexpectedly, I think I prefer this one to the latest volume (which I read first) -- it feels more focused on Toronto, which is what I wanted out of ...more
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Wasn't a fan of the strictly black and white colouring. The art also varied in style and quality, with at least one or two being very detailed/too cramped to be easy to digest. Some of the stories were interesting/entertaining, whereas others were less so. The Toronto-isms were amusing.

Overall, like most anthologies, it was hit and miss. More on this miss side in this case for me.
Karen
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyable read but not all stories are the same quality throughout.

Favourite Quotes:

"Everything is made out of Magic, leaves and trees, flowers and birds, badgers and foxes and squirrels and people."

"It all began with a turkey-shaped building."
Tess
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sometimes anthologies and I just don't get on. I just disliked more of the stories than I liked.
Tina Olah
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun mix of stories. Worth reading if you live in or around TO!
Kimmy
Dec 10, 2015
Corinne Natasha
Dec 18, 2017
Steve RL
rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Shout Out
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Frank Ramsey: A Sheer Excess of Powers
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Original Sin
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 3: Crown of Shadows
  • This Place: 150 Years Retold
  • Stargazing
  • The Physics of Christmas: From the Aerodynamics of Reindeer to the Thermodynamics of Turkey
  • Gender Queer
  • Junji Ito's Dissolving Classroom
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • Much Depends on Dinner: The Extraordinary History and Mythology, Allure and Obsessions, Perils and Taboos of an Ordinary Meal
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 2: Head Games
  • Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron
  • In Search of Time: The Science of a Curious Dimension
  • Out of Time (Lumberjanes, Vol. 4)
  • We the Animals

Toronto Comics (7 books)
  • Toronto Comics: Volume 2 (Toronto Comics, #2)
  • Toronto Comics: Volume 3 (Toronto Comics, #3)
  • Yonge at Heart (Toronto Comics, #4)
  • Toronto Comics: Osgoode As Gold (Toronto Comics, #5)
  • Toronto Comics: Mini #1 (Toronto Comics, #0)
  • Toronto Comics: My Neighbour Toronto