Start by marking “The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2)

The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth's Past #2)

4.4  ·  Rating details ·  28,832 Ratings  ·  2,764 Reviews
This is the second novel in the "Remembrance of Earth’s Past" near-future trilogy. Written by the China's multiple-award-winning science fiction author, Cixin Liu.

In Dark Forest, Earth is reeling from the revelation of a coming alien invasion—four centuries in the future. The aliens' human collaborators have been defeated, but the presence of the sophons, the subatomic pa
Published July 7th 2015 by Tor Books (first published May 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Forest, please sign up.
Yindo There is a Chinese song I listened while reading all these three books, called 星空叙事曲 , and you can find it in Apple music. The artist creates this…moreThere is a Chinese song I listened while reading all these three books, called 星空叙事曲 , and you can find it in Apple music. The artist creates this song for the character Beihai Zhang in The Dark Forest. (less)

Grey
About 80% through this book (after the Battle of Darkness), I needed a nap desperately. In the nap, I dreamed extremely troubling dreams, filled with the feeling of despair and the knowledge that humanity would die. Just felt like explaining the mood this book left me in for the most part: an overwhelming tension that every single human will perish, first in spirit, then in body. Thanks for that, Mr. Liu!

At that point, I thought I would end up not liking this book. I mean, the darkness of this b
Petrik
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hard Sci-Fi fans
A superlative sequel that made its predecessor pale in comparison, The Dark Forest is an excellent middle book that made me finally recognize all the praises that Cixin Liu received.

The first thing you have to know before starting this book is that this is a completely different book from its predecessor, The Three-Body Problem. Although the plot built upon what happened in TTBP and a few characters made an appearance here, other than Da Shi and Ding Yi, the other characters were only mentioned
TheBookSmugglers
Ana’s Take:

I can’t think of a book that has squandered more of my goodwill than The Dark Forest in recent memory. Actually no, scrap that. I can’t think of a book that has CRUSHED me more than The Dark Forest did. Beware, spoilers and CAPS LOCK OF FURY AHEAD.

I loved The Three-Body Problem. I loved it so much, I handed it over to Thea, telling her: READ THIS NOW. We BOTH loved it so much, we gave it high ratings and the book eventually made our top 10 lists of 2014. I loved it so much, when it wo
Adina
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sf
A to Z around the world personal challenge – C is for China

"The past was like a handful of sand you thought you were squeezing tightly, but which had already run out through the cracks between your fingers. Memory was a river that had run dry long ago, leaving only scattered gravel in a lifeless riverbed. He had lived life always looking out for the next thing, and whenever he had gained, he had also lost, leaving him with little in the end.
This series is amazing. I started it in order to accomp
Bradley
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will the Dark Forest sprout the seeds of love?

It's an excellent question, even if it induces a deep pessimism and the likelihood of eventual suicide. And yet, this is exactly what we're asked to consider at the end of this excellent novel.

First things first. How does it compare to the first novel? Well, it's a very different read. I can even say it's sedate and deliberate, despite the axe being held over the Earth and all its inhabitants for hundreds of years. We've got a sociology experiment go
Michael Finocchiaro
Every bit as engrossing as The Three Body Problem, if not more so, The Dark Forest is a masterpiece of scifi. The characters are deeper here than the first book and the technology and physics are a geek's wet dream. It is hard to say much about this book without giving put spoilers, but I really appreciated the space elevator, the Killer 5.2 virus, the underground cities, and the descriptions of the solar fleet. The droplet was a brilliant idea and still has my brain buzzing. Not to mention that ...more
Jody
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, favorites
The Dark Forest is a brilliant piece of sci-fi literature. The scope and imagination that Mr. Liu Cixin put into this book is nothing short of genius. At least in my humble opinion. I will admit the first 15% didn't hold my interest that well, but after that it was very hard to put down.

While book 1, The Three-Body Problem, explains the history of how contact was made with the Trisolarians and their intentions, book 2, The Dark Forest, details how humanity is trying to prepare for an unknowable
Stuart
The Dark Forest: Only 400 years to prepare for an alien invasion
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature
The Dark Forest is Cixin Liu’s follow-up to The Three-Body Problem (first published in English in 2014 and selected as a Hugo and Nebula Award Finalist), and is the second book in his THREE BODY apocalyptic SF trilogy (which was already published in China back in 2010). It took a while for the series to gain enough popularity in China to catch the attention of US publishers, but since the first
Claudia
2nd read

It has one of the most stunning chapters I ever read in my life - the one with the droplet: it simply stops your breath; you choke with the words as you read them; and at the end, you'll feel like hit by a train.

But I won't praise it again; I did that already. Instead, I will leave one more quote from this incredible work (oops, I did it again :D):
"[...] two axioms for cosmic civilization. First, survival is the primary need of civilization. Second, civilization continuously grows an
TS Chan
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dark Forest is a stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed The Three-Body Problem and in my opinion, surpassed it by the magnitude of astronomical units.

While I hold the first book in high regard, I had to admit that characterisation was sidelined in the narrative which focussed heavily on the science and plot. The sequel's storytelling approach was more balanced with the hard science toned down somewhat and character development emerging more prominently. The leading character in this respect
Andrea
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, my-collection
Couldn't put it down. Literally. I neglected other duties for 36 hours. Excellent continuation of the story. Again, fascinating view of drivers of species survival seen through a different cultural lens, somewhat alien to my Western background. I did not expect it to follow the usual paths of English and USA scifi and it did not disappoint. Loved it.

Unfortunately the translation jarred at times. Luckily infrequently. But not enough for me to deduct a star.
Stevie Kincade
Mr Liu Cixin, my name is Stevie Kincade and I am your wallbreaker!

(Audiobook) Well not really but that seemed like the obvious way to start this review since I have some femur sized BONES TO PICK with this book.

The Dark Forrest is a 23 hour audiobook. Is there an interesting idea for us to digest at the end of it? MOS DEF. Do I wish I could have 22 hours of my life back (OK more like 16 due the miracles of modern audio technology) and just listen to the “dark forrest speech” then google “Dark
Matthew Quann
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SFF fans, science fans, cerebral readers
Spoiler-Free

Sequels are very difficult vessels to land safely.

Sequels are placed in the awkward position of providing the content that made its predecessor a success while simultaneously delivering an enjoyable story. Sequels, specifically second books in trilogies, face an even more monumental task: move the story forward and reveal just enough to leave the reader satisfied while simultaneously getting them to want to pick up the final installment. Lesser trilogies do this by making the second
Gary
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The grand design of Cixin Liu's Three Body Trilogy towers above just about everything else going on in SF lit today. The Dark Forest is an even more rewarding accomplishment than The Three Body Problem - a novel that is both hard SF and social SF, meditative and philosophically dense even while engaging in spectacle, that views humanity in scales epic and intimate. Mind. Blown. Again.

I expect this book has an excellent chance of ending up on the Hugo shortlist, but if it also gets nominated for
XLXL
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enough has been said here about the plot summary and I don't want to repeat again. This is more than a Sci-Fi story and its freshness shocks me.

The author definitely has a genius imagination but it is the scientific ideas that backs up and moves the story. Many sci-fi stories nowadays are more fantasy than science fiction. Taken out a few galactic battles, those stories around things like empire, rebellion and senate fall back directly to ancient Roman times or Middle Earth. Instead of forward l
Xabi1990
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He dudado entre tres y cuatro.
Pero por personajes, ideas y desarrollo de los pensamientos de los vallados se lleva las 4. El concepto de “ tú o yo” u “homo homini lupus” (¿civilizas civilitati lupus?) galáctico tb está bien traído.

No me gusta como narra. Los tiempos que dedica a cada fase o a cada momento no los veo acordes a la importancia del mismo. Las descripciones de los pensamientos de los personajes o incluso del entorno a veces me sobran y a veces se queda corto. No sé bien cómo expli
Ray
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: china, novels, sci-fic, audio
An incredibly epic science fiction novel! Highly recommended. The scope is amazing.

A different style from the more 'grounded' Three Body Problem, The Dark Forest goes way more out there. First it deals with the immediate aftermath of how society would react to preparing for a space invasion, and then it goes hundreds of years later with even more intense ideas.

I am, however disheartened (no spoilers!), looking forward to reading the third in the trilogy...

Incidentally, an interesting coincidenc
Scott
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Liu Cixin knows how to write a concept novel. The first book in his remembrance of things past trilogy, The Three Body Problem, was based on a fascinating physics model that Liu used to great effect in his story of interstellar first contact and the terrifying ramifications of discovering intelligent life in the universe.

At the heart of The Dark forest is another fascinating concept based on Liu's exploration of the Fermi paradox - the confounding absence of intelligent life in a galaxy that sur
Zhao Alex
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Structure balance is still a big problem in this book. Characters are better then the previous book, but still not good enough. Liu is not good at characters.

Beside these problems, this book is just absolutely fascinate.

Although I don't fully agree with primary theory in this book, I have to admit it is very well thought and made of pure imagination, philosophy and wisdom. And Liu has obtained amazing achievement on using the theory to create a story that full of suspense, surprise and conflict.
Otis Chandler
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction, space
Mind blowingly cool. Best science fiction I've read in some time. I just loved all the descriptions of the society of the future - how they lived in trees, the notion of owning property or even getting married was gone. How every surface was a screen.

(view spoiler)
Eric
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liu is very good at tree new bee. He trees really good new bee. Here is the summary of the triology:

"3body problem" = "The legend of an avenger"

"Dark forest" = "The legend of a playboy"

"Dead end" = "The legend of a bitch"

Period.
Mike
One of the things I found most compelling about The Three Body Problem was the mystery of just what was going on with the science and scientists of Earth. The eventual reveal at the end of the book was quite satisfying but left 'The Dark Forest' in a bit of a bind. Now the reader knew what was going on ((view spoiler)) what would drive the story forward?

I think this
Rob
Executive Summary: I'm not sure what happened. I really enjoyed The Three-Body Problem, but I found myself largely bored by this one.

Audio book: I don't like when series change narrators between books. I'm also a huge fan of Luke Daniels, but he wasn't really the best fit for this series. So I was willing to give P. J. Ochlan a chance. I thought he was fine, but he wasn't really any better. It would probably just have been better to stick with Mr. Daniels.

Full Review
After enjoying The Three-Bo
Mark Medina
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Very good

The writing varies from excellent to clunky, but the ideas and story are great. Some old characters return, as the story moves to the future. Lots of intriguing science stuff and ethical conundrums. I will now read the next book.
Ashley
Oh, man. Okay. What a weird book.

(Spoilers for book one ahoy.)

So the Trisolarans are coming, man! They're coming! And humanity has four centuries to prepare. Particles called sophons are monitoring everything on Earth (all communication, written, spoken), and locking down technological and scientific advancement in order to cripple humanity in advance of their invasion. The only place safe from Trisolaran view is the individual human mind. Thus the Wallfacer Project is born. Four men (seriously,
Maria Haskins
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
The first half of Cixin Liu's novel The Dark Forest (a follow-up to his Hugo Award-winning book The Three Body Problem) is a very good science fiction story. It's well-written, it begins with an intriguing, ant-centric (you'll see) prologue, and it gives the over-worked "alien invasion" plot an original twist.

Then, just about halfway through, Cixin Liu pulls off what really good science fiction can do: he suddenly makes you wonder W T F is going on. I won't reveal exactly what happens, but from
Jerry Jose
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am highly inclined to tag this one as ‘The Empire Strikes Back‘ of series, notwithstanding the fact that the third book is yet to be covered. And Liu’s ultra-pragmatic Dark Forest deterrence theory, among many other things, blew me away to such an extent that I might not look the Fermi Paradox, the same way ever again.

Though Dark Forest picks up exactly from where Three Body Problem had left us, by roughly building its premise from and post events of its predecessor; the novel can stand alone
Dan Allosso
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Brilliant. Not perfect, but brilliant. The Dark Forest idea is an interesting answer to Fermi's paradox. Of course it depends heavily on the initial assumptions: that matter in the universe is finite and that life increases exponentially. The analogy of the bacteria in the sea provide an interesting counterargument here. A straight exponential increase fills the oceans with bacteria quite rapidly. But of course, that's not what really happens.

Really original ideas in any case. Strange to me, th
Tudor Vlad
So many things happened in this novel that I find it very difficult to focus on even one thing in particular. If the Three Body Problem had lots of moments when it was fun to read it, this one was one of the most depressing experiences I have ever had while reading a book. There were so many moments when I just wanted to crawl in a corner and cry with the rest of humanity, it all felt so pointless.
Even when there were times when things started to seem hopeful again, there was always that feel t
Javir11
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25/5 que últimamente son 4 estrellas solo.

En general me ha gustado mucho la novela. El inicio es complicado, mucho nombre chino y los problemas culturales que ello conlleva. Pero una vez te pones en marcha, la verdad es que se lee muy bien.

Destacaría la incertidumbre y la especulación a la que te obliga la trama. Habrá gente a la que esto no le guste, a mi me encanta.

También destacaría a los personajes. Muy criticados en la anterior novela, por su falta de humanidad, y que en esta segunda part
Ciencia Ficción e...: Lectura mayo-junio parte 1: El Bosque Oscuro de Liu Cixin 30 94 Jul 21, 2018 08:39AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Dark Forest [June 16, 2018] 27 26 Jul 02, 2018 08:28AM
Help me understand the ending. (Spoilers obviously.) 2 18 May 17, 2018 07:02AM
What do you think of Zhang Beihai? 3 126 Nov 09, 2017 01:00PM
Translation mistakes I've found 32 170 Sep 11, 2017 12:34PM
  • Ancillary Mercy (Imperial Radch #3)
  • Aurora
  • Gene Mapper
  • Binti (Binti, #1)
  • Dark Orbit
  • Planetfall (Planetfall, #1)
  • Edge of Infinity
  • The Red: First Light (The Red #1)
  • Central Station
  • The Causal Angel (Jean le Flambeur, #3)
  • The End of All Things (Old Man's War, #6)
  • Apex (Nexus, #3)
  • Proxima
  • The Philosopher Kings (Thessaly, #2)
  • New Moon (Luna #1)
  • On the Steel Breeze (Poseidon's Children, #2)
  • Stories of Your Life and Others
  • Lightless (Lightless, #1)
Science Fiction fan and writer
More about Liu Cixin

Remembrance of Earth's Past (3 books)
  • The Three-Body Problem (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #1)
  • Death's End (Remembrance of Earth’s Past #3)
“The universe is a dark forest. Every civilization is an armed hunter stalking through the trees like a ghost, gently pushing aside branches that block the path and trying to tread without sound. Even breathing is done with care. The hunter has to be careful, because everywhere in the forest are stealthy hunters like him. If he finds other life—another hunter, an angel or a demon, a delicate infant or a tottering old man, a fairy or a demigod—there’s only one thing he can do: open fire and eliminate them. In this forest, hell is other people. An eternal threat that any life that exposes its own existence will be swiftly wiped out. This is the picture of cosmic civilization. It’s the explanation for the Fermi Paradox.” 63 likes
“If I destroy you, what business is it of yours?” 50 likes