Start by marking “Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader” as Want to Read:
Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader

Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader

You aspire to lead with greater impact. The problem is you’re busy executing on today’s demands. You know you have to carve out time from your day job to build your leadership skills, but it’s easy to let immediate problems and old mind-sets get in the way. Herminia Ibarra—an expert on professional leadership and development and a renowned professor at INSEAD, a leading in
Published January 20th 2015 by Harvard Business Review Press

Greg
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Few years ago when I started to lead a team of customer service representatives I was determined to be a good leader for my agents. I started preparing myself by doing my own research on how great leaders lead, communicate, and inspire their followers. I read books, articles, and took courses on management and leadership continuously. I told myself that I had picked up great insights and I am ready to go.

True enough those insights help me and my team achieve our objectives and thereby contribute
Ivan Kulis
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
What a fantastic book! It combines a simple yet powerful writing, solid academic research and insights from leadership practice.

The book targets "leaders in making" and focuses on this *process* of making -- instead of listing "20 key leadership traits" like hundreds of books on the market. In that sense, it is heretic: it argues against SMART goals and clear objectives and paints the leadership process as an emergent effort in which goals are shaped by an iterative work on one self. It draws fr
Darren
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is leadership? What is management? Why do many people mix these terms up? Why are so many so-called leaders or managers stuck in a time warp? The answers to these questions and more besides are woven together in this compact book.

Despite the book covering a lot of interesting topics, it is a bit of a slow burner and it is unclear whether today’s busy executive – those who need this the most – will have the time or inclination to fight their way through it. That would be a shame. Publicity m
Dmitry Kuriakov
Apr 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management
Честно сказать, уже первые две главы оказались пустой тратой времени, и я даже не знаю, зачем я решил прочитать, не смотря на это, всю книгу целиком. Ожидание, что в конце автор перейдёт к более конкретным вещам? Предложит твёрдую и понятную стратегию? Однако в итоге, автор не предложила ничего. Тут нет концепции, как нет интересных примеров и новых идей, да и со старыми тут скудно. Возникает интересное ощущение, что, мол, вроде автор что-то пишет, но вот что…Т.е. я хочу сказать, это просто прос ...more
Michael
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
The information provided in this book is high quality. This book may be an incredibly useful book for me and for others when it comes to the information provided. The publisher of the book is Harvard and Herminia Ibarra clearly knows what she is talking about. The problem is that the material is presented in such a dry manner. The saving grace is that the book isn't long.

The audiobook version may be a star lower than the hard copy or kindle version. The voice and inflection of the narrator play
Moutasem Awa
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book. Very helpful in validating your thinking if you're already stepping up into a leadership role, or to set your expectations for the journey to becoming a leader.

My favourite part is chapter 4 where it helps you understand your new possible personalities and how to tackle the imposter feelings you get while exploring new parts of yourself.

The practical steps and evaluations are also easy to follow and very useful.
Ernie
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Ibarra's approach is very different from what I have read in the past on how one becomes a leader in an organization. Ibarra finds the that process is what shapes someone into a leader and not the end goal. I highly recommended this book, you know it's good when she can fit in a Bruce Lee reference.
Sara
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very practical and inspiring book for everyone who has a passion for leading. I am surprised it is not a NY times best seller as I learned much more from this book compared to many other famous leadership books!
Musa
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A founder to a start-up company recommended this book to me during one of our conversations. After reading this, I wish I had this book during my transition into the current role. This is a very well researched, inspiring book both for those who is newly promoted for a larger management role/ looking for a change/ needed a change after hitting a glass ceiling.

As much as this book is about transitioning to leadership, this is also a book about changing mindsets and how to do it step by step. Exam
Tara Brabazon
This is a refreshing book on leadership. Most theories of leadership offer the most basic - and disappointing - strategies for 'reflection' and 'networking.' What makes this book interesting, particularly for just-emerging managers, is that it dismisses 'authenticity.' There is no single way to claim an identity in and for management. Particularly for women, there are embodied normalities than hamper growth and promotion.

Recommended for those who want to understand the fundamental illusion - and
Amy
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saw this book recommended on LinkedIn and read it. Some good info about the differences in operational leadership and how to step up into larger roles.
Gunhee Park
Nov 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of those business books where it drills the same concept over and over again.
Shawn
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks2018
Act Like a Leader, Thinking Like a Leader by Herminia Ibarra was such a refreshing take on the traditional self-help/leadership style book. In the past, I've always found this genre to be extremely boring and, while I was interested in the topic, it was just too dry which caused me to very slowly muddle through the book (I mean who really wants to read about leadership styles when you could be reading about dragons/magic/murders mysteries). I really enjoyed the practical take Ibarra took when di ...more
Felipe Sarmiento
Great and fast read on stepping up to leadership roles!

The main message of this book is doing before thinking. Start your change by modifying your outside, which in time will redefine you inside.

The author goes through a series of steps on how to start acting as a leader, describing key activities like studying and imitating role models, understanding and learning from your experiences, increasing your three networks (personal, operational and strategic), participating on extracurricular activit
Balázs Ilsinszki
This book helped me a lot to understand why my first attempts of introducing change to a small team failed. I've done the same mistakes that are listed in the book, so the learnings resonated with me. Would suggest this book to anybody who is about to start leading a team.

Some of the most important learnings/topics in the book:
- Learn by doing, called the Outsight Principle here.
- Expectation towards you will change, so doing the same things simply won't cut it. "When the rate of change outside
Viktorija Antanavičiūtė
Though the title of the book might seem a bit 'help-yourself'-kinda book, the inside hides greats things. Useful notes are given about networking, attention to certain areas in your career and how to check yourself at various steps while growing in your role(s). I would say this book will have useful information for your leaders and emerging managers, who are working in highly pressured and constantly shifting environments, when sometimes your role is not defined by your peers and you have to cr ...more
Jim
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Mrs. Ibarra presents numerous points supporting the idea of becoming a better leader requires one to work as a leader and improve along the way using outsight. She sums this up in the following quote. "Outsight holds the power to reshape your image of who you are, what you can do, and what is worth doing - it will change the way you think." A deep and important point to ponder as you finish the text. This book is well worth the time investment to read.
Mano Chil
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Such a good writer with easy to read prose.

One idea that kept stuck in my head is that one shouldn’t first define his life mission to work towards it; the mission statement is the product and not the ingredient. So to become a leader one shouldn’t wait to acquire skills. One should act like a leader now and he will attain the necessary skills along the way.
Nick Affolter
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good compilation of things to think about regarding what makes up an effective leader. Reads like a compilation of HBR articles, not going deep in any specific topic. This isn't a bad thing though as it encourages the reader to think differently about their thinking and encourages them to take action without telling them exactly what to do.
Zhivko
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Herminia presents a new way to look at developing yourself. This book is structured around the concept of "outsight" as opposed to insight and I would recommend it to anyone looking to grow, not only as a professional but also in their personal life. Easy to read and memorable!
Chelsea
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
我们自以为的忠实与自己-是过去的自己,这到底是一种自我保护还是真的忠实于自己.真实性的常见问题:1.现在的你是谁以及你要成为谁之间的分歧 2.真诚 3.忠实于自己的价值观和目标 4.我们不能完全控制我们的身份 而随之而来的是我们常常陷入“真实性”陷阱. 当转变到新的角色时,一些人很难和他们的团队保持一个合适的距离,要么 他们不会出售自己的观点,或者不需要刻意去鼓励其他人,做些费劲的事与他人建立关系,因为他们觉得是在“利用别人”...这段真实性陷阱引人深思
Warren Lebovics
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great overview on the importance of outsight, how imposter syndrome is you experiencing growth, and tactical steps to step into a leadership role.

Great for new leaders, and people transitioning into management roles.
Orban
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book about leadership, includes topics about networking, personality development, traps to avoid
Keith R.
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insanely Great.
Veronika Sokolova
Not as ground breaking as I hoped for it to be but I definitely borrowed a few very interesting ideas and approaches
Debra
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this for work's Bookclub -- good arguments for focusing one's energy on what you are good at and using your time/energy strategically at work.
June
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
sort of skimmed through this one -- more a story of how to get to a position of leadership than how to be one (though there are many good pointers, most of which are well known).
Stephannie Roy
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There’s some good advice in this book on how to move into leadership roles in your work. The focus is definitely on senior managers but there’s plenty to use if you’re more junior.
Anwesha Ghosh
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good guide for practionners to learn from and implement. The book is well structured with several pratical suggestions to change ones approach to management.
Georg Schlaiss
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is definitely among the few I will revisit on a regular basis. Fantastic for anyone who is new to a leadership role or wants to get there
CMLE Librarian Pr...: * Feb. 2018 book: Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader 1 5 Feb 06, 2018 11:35AM
  • Friend & Foe: When to Cooperate, When to Compete, and How to Succeed at Both
  • Expect to Win: Proven Strategies for Success from a Wall Street Vet
  • Crossing the Unknown Sea: Work as a Pilgrimage of Identity
  • Comeback & Beyond: How to Turn Your Setbacks Into Comebacks
  • Moments of Impact: How to Design Strategic Conversations That Accelerate Change
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • The Leadership Handbook: 26 Critical Lessons Every Leader Needs
  • Getting to It: Accomplishing the Important, Handling the Urgent, and Removing the Unnecessary
  • Learning Leadership: The Five Fundamentals of Becoming an Exemplary Leader
  • Tilt: Shifting Your Strategy from Products to Customers
  • Return on Character: The Real Reason Leaders and Their Companies Win
  • Key Performance Indicators: The 75 Measures Every Manager Needs to Know
  • The Purpose Economy, How Your Desire for Impact, Personal Growth and Community is Changing the World
  • The Best Damn Sales Book Ever: 16 Rock-Solid Rules for Achieving Sales Success!
  • Unfinished Business: Women, Men, Work, Family
  • The Alliance: Managing Talent in the Networked Age
  • Key Management Models: The 60+ Models Every Manager Needs to Know
  • The New Rules of Marriage: What You Need to Know to Make Love Work
“The paradox of change is that the only way to alter the way we think is by doing the very things our habitual thinking keeps us from doing." p. 5” 3 likes
“It’s all too easy to fall hostage to the urgent over the important.” 1 likes