Start by marking “Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader” as Want to Read:
Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader

Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader

You aspire to lead with greater impact. The problem is you’re busy executing on today’s demands. You know you have to carve out time from your day job to build your leadership skills, but it’s easy to let immediate problems and old mind-sets get in the way. Herminia Ibarra—an expert on professional leadership and development and a renowned professor at INSEAD, a leading in
Published January 20th 2015 by Harvard Business Review Press

Start your review of Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader
Greg
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Few years ago when I started to lead a team of customer service representatives I was determined to be a good leader for my agents. I started preparing myself by doing my own research on how great leaders lead, communicate, and inspire their followers. I read books, articles, and took courses on management and leadership continuously. I told myself that I had picked up great insights and I am ready to go.

True enough those insights help me and my team achieve our objectives and thereby contribute
Ivan Kulis
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
What a fantastic book! It combines a simple yet powerful writing, solid academic research and insights from leadership practice.

The book targets "leaders in making" and focuses on this *process* of making -- instead of listing "20 key leadership traits" like hundreds of books on the market. In that sense, it is heretic: it argues against SMART goals and clear objectives and paints the leadership process as an emergent effort in which goals are shaped by an iterative work on one self. It draws fr
Darren
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is leadership? What is management? Why do many people mix these terms up? Why are so many so-called leaders or managers stuck in a time warp? The answers to these questions and more besides are woven together in this compact book.

Despite the book covering a lot of interesting topics, it is a bit of a slow burner and it is unclear whether today’s busy executive – those who need this the most – will have the time or inclination to fight their way through it. That would be a shame. Publicity m
Michael
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
The information provided in this book is high quality. This book may be an incredibly useful book for me and for others when it comes to the information provided. The publisher of the book is Harvard and Herminia Ibarra clearly knows what she is talking about. The problem is that the material is presented in such a dry manner. The saving grace is that the book isn't long.

The audiobook version may be a star lower than the hard copy or kindle version. The voice and inflection of the narrator play
Moutasem Awa
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book. Very helpful in validating your thinking if you're already stepping up into a leadership role, or to set your expectations for the journey to becoming a leader.

My favourite part is chapter 4 where it helps you understand your new possible personalities and how to tackle the imposter feelings you get while exploring new parts of yourself.

The practical steps and evaluations are also easy to follow and very useful.
Ernie
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Ibarra's approach is very different from what I have read in the past on how one becomes a leader in an organization. Ibarra finds the that process is what shapes someone into a leader and not the end goal. I highly recommended this book, you know it's good when she can fit in a Bruce Lee reference.
Sara
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very practical and inspiring book for everyone who has a passion for leading. I am surprised it is not a NY times best seller as I learned much more from this book compared to many other famous leadership books!
Adrienne Dalaly
My work team book club picked this as the most recent read. Some good phrases, but nothing ground-breaking in terms of leadership.
Musa
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A founder to a start-up company recommended this book to me during one of our conversations. After reading this, I wish I had this book during my transition into the current role. This is a very well researched, inspiring book both for those who is newly promoted for a larger management role/ looking for a change/ needed a change after hitting a glass ceiling.

As much as this book is about transitioning to leadership, this is also a book about changing mindsets and how to do it step by step. Exam
Jen
May 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended by some best of business list like a HBR or a Forbes or something so I added it to my queue. I can see why some feel like this book is very valuable. It may work for large organizations and traditional managers but neither of those is particularly me. I try to think of each book as getting at least one nugget that I can carry away. I suppose for this book, it was the categorization of the different types of networks that I thought was interesting, if not necessarily des ...more
Tara Brabazon
This is a refreshing book on leadership. Most theories of leadership offer the most basic - and disappointing - strategies for 'reflection' and 'networking.' What makes this book interesting, particularly for just-emerging managers, is that it dismisses 'authenticity.' There is no single way to claim an identity in and for management. Particularly for women, there are embodied normalities than hamper growth and promotion.

Recommended for those who want to understand the fundamental illusion - and
Amy  rider
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saw this book recommended on LinkedIn and read it. Some good info about the differences in operational leadership and how to step up into larger roles.
Gunhee Park
Nov 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of those business books where it drills the same concept over and over again.
Chris Weatherburn
Great book about leadership, one of the most important points is making time to change and develop yourself from outwith. This is different from introspective change, instead get inspired by experiencing new things, being aware of external things will help you develop.
Prevent being bogged down with the operation of day job and have time for some strategic oversight. Put yourself out there in positions of discomfort that will allow you to thrive. If you continue to do your same operational job on
Lim Lyn
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book provide a lot of actionable steps and short story examples to hit home the key points . There was not a lot of fluff which made it a great learning tool and is refreshing. I love the fact that end the end of each chapter there was a summary of key points. Definitely would recommend this book to anyone transitioning into leadership roles

Key points
1. Leaders envision change and need to bridge diverse groups to solicit/engage people to make the changes.
Change = idea + process + you
Int
Sandra
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A worthwhile read, although a little dry and technical.
Some good takeaways:
* To become a leader, you need to gain "outsight," or push yourself into new situations with new people. This leads to external perspective. Broaden the scope of your job: Get involved in projects outside your area, participate in extracurricular activities, communicate your personal "why," and create slack in your schedule. Understand the bigger context in which you operate.
* When you play a "bridge role," you link you
Shawn
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks2018
Act Like a Leader, Thinking Like a Leader by Herminia Ibarra was such a refreshing take on the traditional self-help/leadership style book. In the past, I've always found this genre to be extremely boring and, while I was interested in the topic, it was just too dry which caused me to very slowly muddle through the book (I mean who really wants to read about leadership styles when you could be reading about dragons/magic/murders mysteries). I really enjoyed the practical take Ibarra took when di ...more
Pantteri4
The book presents science-based managerial advice on the importance of networking, how to be an effective leader, and how to make sure your network facilitates your development as a leader and a professional.

There are several self-tests and presentations of different types of network relationships, enough for the reader to conduct "a network audit" to realize the structure and quality of one's business and other professional networks. "Fortune favors the connected mind" is a main message through
Felipe Sarmiento
Great and fast read on stepping up to leadership roles!

The main message of this book is doing before thinking. Start your change by modifying your outside, which in time will redefine you inside.

The author goes through a series of steps on how to start acting as a leader, describing key activities like studying and imitating role models, understanding and learning from your experiences, increasing your three networks (personal, operational and strategic), participating on extracurricular activit
Balázs Ilsinszki
This book helped me a lot to understand why my first attempts of introducing change to a small team failed. I've done the same mistakes that are listed in the book, so the learnings resonated with me. Would suggest this book to anybody who is about to start leading a team.

Some of the most important learnings/topics in the book:
- Learn by doing, called the Outsight Principle here.
- Expectation towards you will change, so doing the same things simply won't cut it. "When the rate of change outside
Pooja Gajipara

I have very mixed views about this book. But I would like to segment them in terms of content and quality. ⁣

The content of the book is very apt for its genre and have some extremely good points on how to tackle most pressing leadership challenges. Quality on the other hand, has burnt away the impact. Both summing up to provide not much of a value to the reader. ⁣

The points made in the book were valid, but there were too many small anecdotes and the sidebar stories were told in a choppy and di
Viktorija Ratomske
Though the title of the book might seem a bit 'help-yourself'-kinda book, the inside hides greats things. Useful notes are given about networking, attention to certain areas in your career and how to check yourself at various steps while growing in your role(s). I would say this book will have useful information for your leaders and emerging managers, who are working in highly pressured and constantly shifting environments, when sometimes your role is not defined by your peers and you have to cr ...more
Jim
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Mrs. Ibarra presents numerous points supporting the idea of becoming a better leader requires one to work as a leader and improve along the way using outsight. She sums this up in the following quote. "Outsight holds the power to reshape your image of who you are, what you can do, and what is worth doing - it will change the way you think." A deep and important point to ponder as you finish the text. This book is well worth the time investment to read.
Ed Rogers
Ibarra offers several nuggets of wisdom useful for understanding leadership at a deeper more personal level. However, I found myself uncomfortable with the premise that action comes before thinking and understanding in leadership. Approaching leadership from a belief system anchored in the Christian faith I believe there are absolutes to our leadership that supersede our experience. This is probably what led me to internally argue with several main points of the work.
Leonardo Reis Longo
Raegan Cardwell
I almost didn’t finish this one, which is unfortunate because I think it includes some good take-aways for those stepping into a leadership role or trying to transform their existing role. The writing was a bit dry and I had a hard time engaging with it. There were also quite a few anecdotes that were brought up in earlier chapters and referenced later, but were not distinct enough to be effective.
Nick Affolter
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good compilation of things to think about regarding what makes up an effective leader. Reads like a compilation of HBR articles, not going deep in any specific topic. This isn't a bad thing though as it encourages the reader to think differently about their thinking and encourages them to take action without telling them exactly what to do.
Mano Chil
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Such a good writer with easy to read prose.

One idea that kept stuck in my head is that one shouldn’t first define his life mission to work towards it; the mission statement is the product and not the ingredient. So to become a leader one shouldn’t wait to acquire skills. One should act like a leader now and he will attain the necessary skills along the way.
Sofia Goya Outeiriño
In this book INSEAD professor Herminia Ibarra gives us great tips to become good leaders.

The main idea I extracted from this book is that you learn more by doing than by thinking about something. If you act like a leader you will become one.

I love that at the end of each chapter you have a summary with its key learnings.
Warren Lebovics
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great overview on the importance of outsight, how imposter syndrome is you experiencing growth, and tactical steps to step into a leadership role.

Great for new leaders, and people transitioning into management roles.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
CMLE Librarian Pr...: * Feb. 2018 book: Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader 1 5 Feb 06, 2018 11:35AM

• The Right-and Wrong-Stuff: How Brilliant Careers Are Made and Unmade
  • Lead Yourself First: Inspiring Leadership Through Solitude
  • X-Teams: How To Build Teams That Lead, Innovate, And Succeed
  • Stretch: Unlock the Power of Less -  and Achieve More Than You Ever Imagined
  • The Compassionate Achiever: How Helping Others Fuels Success
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
  • The Bravest You: Five Steps to Fight Your Biggest Fears, Find Your Passion, and Unlock Your Extraordinary Life
  • Ego Free Leadership: Ending the Unconscious Habits that Hijack Your Business
  • Radical Candor: Be a Kickass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity
  • Learning to Improve: How America’s Schools Can Get Better at Getting Better
  • Leadership BS: Fixing Workplaces and Careers One Truth at a Time
  • The Leading Brain: Powerful Science-Based Strategies for Achieving Peak Performance
  • Rebel Talent: Why It Pays to Break the Rules at Work and in Life
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Mental Toughness (with bonus interview "Post-Traumatic Growth and Building Resilience" with Martin Seligman) (HBR's 10 Must Reads)
  • No Fail Meetings
  • The Vision Driven Leader: 10 Questions to Focus Your Efforts, Energize Your Team, and Scale Your Business
  • Reinforcements: How to Get People to Help You