Start by marking “The Substitute (The Wedding Pact, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Substitute (The Wedding Pact, #1)

The Substitute

(The Wedding Pact #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  16,301 ratings  ·  1,434 reviews
The first book in a humorous contemporary romance series from New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, Denise Grover Swank.

Megan Vandemeer meant to tell her parents about her broken engagement, but a month and a half later she finds herself boarding a plane home to her wedding. Having stretched avoidance to its limits, it's time to come clean--a terrifying prospec
Published January 21st 2015 by DGS (first published January 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Substitute, please sign up.
Lorna Collins You might enjoy our romance anthologies, the Aspen Grove romances: Snowflake Secrets, Seasons of Love, Directions of Love, the Art of Love, An Aspen…moreYou might enjoy our romance anthologies, the Aspen Grove romances: Snowflake Secrets, Seasons of Love, Directions of Love, the Art of Love, An Aspen Grove Christmas, and ...And a Silver Sixpence in Her Shoe. All books contian four (or five) sweet romance novellas, all set in the fictional Colorado town of Aspen Grove.(less)

·  16,301 ratings  ·  1,434 reviews

Carol [Goodreads Addict]
 photo denise1_zpsusqcq4id.jpg

The Substitute is book one in the series, The Wedding Pact, by Denise Grover Swank. Why was I shocked at the perfection of this book?! I have loved every single book by this author. But this is a brand new series. And I told myself that maybe I wouldn’t love it as much as the others. Well, I was wrong. I loved it more!

photo 13689603_zpsk3vueic0.gif

Megan Vandemeer broke up with her fiance Jay six weeks ago when she caught him cheating on her with his secretary, on his desk, in his office. The problem is, she never told her
Didi
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
3.5 STARS

This was a cute, steamy and funny CR. It started out slow and felt stagnant at times, but the last 20% made up for it. The idea of this whole book was a little far fetched. Where as any other time this could be categorized as insta-love, the way it was presented was believable. Still, the ending was unlikely but funny nonetheless. Cute epilogue too.
Karen
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS

”You are singularly the best thing that has ever come into my life.”

Loved it! This was my first book by Denise Grover Swank, and it definitely won't be my last. Such a sweet and romantic story. I have to admit it got a bit zany at times. Far-fetched… absolutely. But definitely a lot of fun to read. The characters were so endearing. It would have been very difficult not to fall in love with them.

Megan Vandermeer was on her way home to Kansas City to attend her wedding. Unfortunately, sh
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I stayed with this way longer than I should have. The thing is that the core of the characters, and their connection, works pretty well. I liked Josh and Megan both and wanted them to work things out and be together. I was even on board with how fast they fell for each other. But two things tanked this completely.

First, Megan's family is awful. Her mother is a narcissistic nightmare, her father an absent bumbler, and her brother a macho bantam blustering like a cock on a dungheap. And her gram w
Pretend boyfriend/fiancé romances are my go-to genre when I'm in a reading slump. This romance dynamic never fails to entertain in my opinion. Unfortunately, I can't say that about The Substitute. Based on my reading experience, I just couldn't connect with the characters or remain invested. The story felt slow-moving, all the lying became annoying after a while, and although there was a lot of intended humor, it felt a bit too over-the-top to solicit the intended laughable moments from me. At t ...more
Amy Daws
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goosebumps, Giggles, Tingles, Tears, and Torture.
I only say torture because it's over and it was so wonderful I wanted it to last forever! I can't believe what a true gift I got wrapped up in a pretty ARC package.

Seriously...this book was the best. You know those books where you realize you're only half-way through and you know...you just KNOW it's going to be one of those stories that sticks with you and jumps above so many others you've loved before it?

THAT HAPPENS WITH THIS BOOK!

Denise Gr
Irene Sim
May 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read, romance

Unless the fake-groom leaves you no other alternative and you want to save face in front of your family.

The heroine is a doormat, dominated all her life by her controling mother, so just to escape her, she finds another controling ass**** to take her place.

The Hero presents himself as an honorable man, trying to be true to his family and employees, having insta-feelings for the heroine but has his own agenta.

The side characters are all cartoonish, flat, one-dimentioned.
We have the silly girlf
Sam! at the bookstore
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: rom-com lovers (mature)
Rating: 4.75 stars

This is just a wonderful book. I loved it so so much! It was such an interssting concept, with such great characters. I really enjoyed reading it. It's also a book I could definitely see being turned into a fabulous rom-com. Can we make this happen please?

Some other elements I liked in this book were the concepts of family. It was really nice to see how Megan's relationship evolved with her mother. And who doesn't love Gram? Oh my god, she was just hilarious. Example below ;)

Me
♡Tonya♡
Welcome surprise!

***FREE AS OF 6/12/17***

I saw this book mentioned on Facebook, and it was free, so I thought I'd check it out. I'm really glad I did. It's a zany little love story which takes place over the course of 4 days. It was pretty cute, with -

-no cheating
-no ow drama whatsoever
-no om drama- heroines ex who cheated on her shows up but his attempts to make trouble are quickly squelched
-no a lot of pushing away
-moderate steam
-epilogue that wasn't very far out and was a set up f
Rachel
Overall rating: 4 super cute stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)

HEA: (view spoiler)

My review:

This book was recommended to me at the perfect time! I was looking for something light and sweet and funny to read after the trilogy I finished that had me bawling my eyes out in a GOOD way! ;)

Meghan was in a
Alexa
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alexa by: Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Shelves: romance
This was a really cute romance novel.

There was insta-love but I was expecting it since the premise of the book implies it. And it didn't bother me much to be honest!

The plot was a bit far fetched, but not too much by romance standards. It reminded me of that movie "The Wedding Date" with Debra Messing... If you can hire a male escort to accompany you to your sister's wedding then why not let a complete stranger act as your fake groom? Yes, I know it sounds crazy, but it works!

The supporting cha
Jamie Davis
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received this book in exchange for an honest review*

I laughed, I held my breath, and I fell in love!

The Wedding Pact is a new favorite series after reading The Substitute!

Megan Vandemeer boards a flight home for her wedding, but the problem is she broke up with Jay six weeks ago when she found him cheating with his secretary. Too frightened to confess to her domineering and hard-to-please mother, she heads towards Kansas City with the intent to tell her in person.

Josh McMillan boards the
Paige  Bookdragon
I don't know if it's the mother of the heroine who killed the book for me or if it's the heroine's doormat character itself,but nevertheless..

description
Tandie
I love the trope of a fake fiancé, it's my guilty, cheesy pleasure. It didn't work so well in this story since only one party agreed to the fake engagement. I forgive a lot of far fetched plot stuff in fluffy romances, but this was pretty forced. I wasn't in love with either of the MCs, but they were tolerable. I was hoping for more humor as well.

It was okay, but not great. 2.5 stars, rounded up for Goodreads.
Kate's Corner
The probability of me solving E = mc²?

photo nada zip zilch_zpszyuynjel.png

Although I did read and understand it a long time ago but I still wouldn’t be able to solve it.

The probability of the amount of coincidences happing in this book and everyone believing it?

photo nada zip zilch_zpszyuynjel.png

This doesn’t mean that I didn’t like reading this book quite the opposite there are a lot of laugh out loud moments in the book.

“Are you a terrorist?” she asked before she could stop herself. “What?” he asked, his eyes wide as he turned to her in horror. She shook h

I didn’t realize I’d used a not so nice word in this review. Oops. Edited it out. ;)

What I liked about this book:
1) I enjoyed the dual povs and the third person narrative. First person narratives in romance novels give me the cringes.
2) Josh is a nice guy, even though it took him long enough to do the right thing.
3) If you cared about what happened to the MCs, there is a nice epilogue at the end of this story.
4) Some of the banter between the H and h is pretty funny.

What I didn't like:
1) The fem
Mandy
I loved this book! Megan is traveling home to Kansas City for her wedding. She broke up with her cheating ex-fiance 6 weeks ago and never told her family. She plans to break the news to her overbearing, over-the-top mother in person when the plane lands but fate has other plans. This book is seriously funny! I loved Josh and Megan - they had amazing chemistry and witty banter from the moment they met. There is a really great group of supporting characters, especially Megan's friends (Blair and L ...more
Fatima
Aug 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a free download of this book and was like, okay, why not! And it was pretty entertaining - it by no means isn't anything extraordinarily, but the characters and their interactions were pretty enjoyable to read about, and I loved the family dynamic going on. Not to mention that I'm helpless when it comes to fake dating that leads to an actual romantic relationship in fiction.
Jennifer Comeaux
I thought there was too much telling and not enough showing in this book. I also found a lot of the attempts at humor to be forced and a little too slapstick for me. I think the story could've worked better as a novella because it dragged on, and the sex scenes were gratuitous filler that didn't add anything to the emotional arc of the story.
Nefise
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
The plot is so far fetch for my taste that I couldn't involve the story and I couldn't feel any real chemistry. :(
Linda
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
3.5 stars!

This very cute book was just what I was looking for. Real life has been kicking my butt lately, and I needed a book like this to read before bed to help me shut off my mind. It did the trick!

This book is a bit far-fetched and unrealistic. Sometimes I don't mind books like this- and this was one of those times. Sometimes books like this drive me crazy. Luckily, this one worked for me. It did drag a little bit in the middle, but the ending made up for it.

I was somewhat surprised at how
Paige
3.5 Stars

What a sweet and fun romance. The blurb for this drew me in. I love Denise's Off the Subject series so I thought I would give this a try. I'm glad I did. The premise is hilarious. It was well written and the pacing of their "relationship" was believable which was a huge undertaking since the book basically covers a long weekend.

Josh and Megan meet by coincidence on a plane to Kansas City. Megan, having dumped her cheating fiancé 6 weeks ago, hasn't had the guts to tell her family there
Stormy Udell
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made my heart smile! Once I started I hated to put it down (darn life getting in the way). Josh and Megan are beautifully constructed characters that you fall in love with immediately. Josh is...well just a great guy. Like an all around great guy - it doesn't hurt that he's absolutely beautiful. This book is different than most things Denise has written and it is PERFECT. She has to be the millennium woman of writing. She can literally write ANYTHING and make me fall in love...and so f ...more
M A R I G O L D
Ugh. Skimmed this one. Super corny. Not my vibe. Sorry.
Janja
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet,fun but nothing new in reading world.
Anna's Herding Cats
Well that was a whole lotta wacky wedding insanity. Whooboy!

The Gist: Megan broke up with her cheating fiance but then was too scared to tell her mom. So she's flying home to her wedding sans groom. Um. Her lucky day when the guy next to her is mistaken for her fiance and goes along with it. He might have his own reasons, though.

Megan and Josh. I liked them. I did. They were both easy people to root for. She's sweet and sunny. Resilient and kind. He's got a big heart and is a good man. And they
Pam Nelson
This book cracked me up! I loved the banter, the back and forth. It was great I really enjoyed the fact that once Megan even had any inkling that something was up with Josh and why he wanted to “help” so badly she calls him out on it!! Ha, that was great.

OMG, we have to talk about Megan’s grandmother, she stole the show no joke this lady was funny and the comedic relief this book needed.
I wouldn’t want to have Megan’s mother, she seemed to be very judgemental I get why but it was almost too ha
Stephanie
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the fake relationship aspects to this story. There were lots of humorous and slightly uncomfortable moments. I thought the book was a little too long, though, and while I liked Megan and Josh I never really fell in love with them. I didn't like this as much as the other book I've read by this author, but I'm still going to try out some of her other books.
Prerana
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read-romance
April 26, 2018
I don't know what I was thinking the first time around, but I absolutely adored this book. 4.8888 stars.

November 21, 2016
Review to come.

Yay. Review is here. I finished reading this book at 12:11 in the morning today. It is now 12:02 in the afternoon. Honestly, I should wait nine minutes to start reviewing this book.

Anyway, I genuinely did like this book. However, they only know each other for four days. They fall in love after four days. They get married after four days. Yeah.

Comp
Steph
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
** 3.5 Stars from me **

This was a really sweet and fun read. I didn't feel like I could rate the book any higher though, just because things were very coincidental... They just 'happened' to meet by chance and her father just 'happened' to be the one man Josh was looking for and it all just kind of fell into his lap.
Also, it was really predictable. I knew exactly what was coming even if not when it would happen.

It was still a really enjoyable read and I will definitely be reading the next boo
Nook books: June 3, 2016 1 3 Jun 03, 2016 07:27PM

• Villa Fortuna - A Romantic Comedy
  • Tangled Thing Called Love (Life and Love on the Lam, #3)
  • Home for Christmas (Willow Park, #5)
  • Echoes of Pemberley
  • How Forever Feels (Friends First, #4)
  • The Catching Kind (Brew Ha Ha #3)
  • Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • Longbourn's Songbird
  • Lights. Camera. Marriage! (Sudden Falls #5)
  • The Sweet Evil Complete Collection: Sweet Evil, Sweet Peril, Sweet Reckoning
  • Hardcore: Volume One (Hardcore, #1)
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
  • In All My Wishes (Riverbend, #1)
  • An Almost Perfect Love Story (Love Story, #3)
  • The Way Back To Me
  • Hot Wheels and High Heels (Playboys, #1)
  • Assumed Engagement
  • Winning the Boss's Heart

The Wedding Pact (3 books)
  • The Player (The Wedding Pact, #2)
  • The Gambler (The Wedding Pact, #3)
“There are lots of girls out there, Joshy. You’ll probably date a bunch of them. Or maybe you’ll only date a few. But one day, you’ll find the one.” He’d given Josh an all-knowing smile and wiped his hands on a napkin. “It will probably knock you over when you least expect it. At least that’s what happened with me. Your mother walked into my Biology 101 lab in college and there was something about her that made me take notice. We were lab partners and I could hardly focus on what we needed to do. I asked her out before we left the room. We were engaged a year later, but I knew right away I’d marry her someday. And every day I spent with her only made me more certain. She’d look at me in this special way…and my heart would melt. I wanted to make all her dreams come true and you know what? I’ve spent my life trying. I’ve never loved anyone as much as I love your mother and I never will.” And with that, his father had picked up another slice of pizza. “Someday you’ll find the one. And I can’t wait to meet her once you do.” 7 likes
“He glanced at Megan’s mother, his gaze allowing for no argument. “This woman by my side is the woman I want to marry, exactly as she is right now. I don’t want her transformed into some cookie-cutter Barbie doll, so don’t you dare try to do it.” 4 likes