Start by marking “Son Rise” as Want to Read:
Son Rise

Son Rise

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  287 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
A father's account of his son's increasing submission into the unreachable world of infantile autism and his, his wife's, and his two daughters' ultimately successful efforts at understanding, caring, and retrieval.
Published January 1st 1976 by Harper & Row

To ask other readers questions about Son Rise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Son Rise

Emily
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents of autistic children or anyone who wants to know about autism
This book is an intimate look into a family who stuggles and triumphs over autism. I really learned a lot about what autism is and how it affects families. I really enjoyed the book as an autobiography, a fantastic story, and as an educational resource.
For those who are skeptical I want to lend my personal first hand experience as a Son-Rise child facilitator.
For a period of 6 months a trianed and used the Son-Rise program. I worked with children who are autistic using this program. I visited th
Readyourselfhealthy
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autism, parenting
I was lucky enough to see Raun Kaufman (the son written about in this book) speak at an Autism One conference and I knew that I had to go and read this book right away. If you ever have the chance to see this man speak I would highly recommend it. Not only is there not a trace of autism left in him, but he is an engaging, dynamic and funny speaker. The book chronicles his emergence from autism and is written by his father. Though a little over-dramatic in its style it gives a lot of specific det ...more
Iamshadow
Leeann
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: educators, parents, people interested in autism
I first saw the made-for-tv movie based on this book when I was in high school. I was utterly fascinated. I had no knowledge of autistic children at the time and I was instantly consumed with the desire to find out more.

After reading the book and others on the subject of autism, I went to college to get a degree in special education so I could work with autistic children.

The author and his wife run The Option Institute and teach a variety of their practices there. Their methods and claims are c
Kate
May 04, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I appreciated this book, as it offered an interesting look at how few resources were available to parents of autistic children in the very recent past. And the program that Kaufman and his wife figured out for their son is inspiring. But his writing is almost unreadable and his comments about "liberated" women made me cringe, and his frequent references to his reading and study habits were annoyingly self-serving. I wish his wife, who seems to have done the bulk of the work with their son, wrote ...more
Sally Sarko
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this two summers ago and LOVED it, one of my all time favorite books. I have always been super interested in autistic children (my neighbor who I babysit for is and a boy I took piano after is) and my mom told me that she read this book when she was younger and loved it. I cried when the mom was was in the bathroom playing with Ron. Be warned that after reading this you will totally want to devote your life to "curing" autistic children. I love parenting books, and this one is sooo touchi ...more
Donna Cooper
May 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book. Very intriguing look into a family who faced autism and won. I read this book in college, and the message stayed with me. When I found my son acting much like the Raun, I remembered reading a book, this book in college. Found it and read it again. I based so much of my approach to my son the way the Kaufman's did. My son is a wonderful, thriving, bright 9 year old today. Much credit to what I learned from this book.
Valerie
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having a son recovering from autism, I really appreciate the Kaufman's perspective. My son is high-functioning, but can still benefit from loving way the Kaufmans healed their son. It's not a therapy that a teacher or therapist can implement as well as a parent, and I think that's why it's not supported like other therapies.
Jennifer England
For everyone. Wonderful insights for those who are blessed to have a special child and for all of us who do not. I have suggested this book to others now that I have read this. Thanks Dr. Wayne Dyer for guiding me to read this. After reading this I have also gotten to additional books by Barry Kaufman which I will read soon. Barry and family.....God bless you for not giving up.
R.L. Mosz
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the most amazing book about autism I've ever read and I've read many. I read it years ago and two more times since. I work with autistic children and my admiration for this family holds no bounds. First and foremost, they decided to love their son. All real cures begin with love.
Janice Sommer
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring! I loved it. Barry Kaufman shares the amazing story about how he and his wife were committed to help their son no matter what the "experts" told them. An amazing story of love, courage,faith, and overcoming the odds stacked against them.
Annette
Amazing book about beliefs, they are ALL that permit us or prevent us from succeeding or failing.
Becky
Jul 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-stories
An inspiring and hopeful book about a family's journey of love with an autistic child.
Rdianco
Sep 19, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
a very heartwarming story about unconditional love of parents toward their (autistic?)child. Genuine and unconditional love can really move mountains!
Chelsea
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
I had a serious love-hate relationship with this book especially as a professional who has worked with hundreds of children with autism over the years. That may be why it took me so long to finish it. First of all I am a speech language pathologist and so many issues with the first part of the book. I couldn't figure out why the family kept taking Raun to professional's for evaluations if they felt so poorly about what the professionals were saying and how they evaluated Raun. If your first expe ...more
I picked up this book because I recently started working with a family that does the Son-rise Program with their autistic daughter. The attitude concepts are inspiring: they are good not just for dealing with children, but for trying to stay positive within your own life. At the end of telling Raun's story, Kaufman gives further examples of other families that have benefited from the Options Institute. This was the most interesting part for me, because unlike Raun's story (which I had heard and ...more
Kara Thompson
Feb 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2002-2008
For skeptics out there -read the book. Autism is not an incurable problem. Kids around the world are being recovered from their autism through several methods and means. Son Rise gives insight into one successful method to try and recover your child from autism or at least grow to love and understand your child even more -which is a necessary part of being the parent or family member of an autistic child or adult.

If you have a family member with autism, I highly recommend this book.
Elizabeth Carmona

When reading this book, remember that it was written in the 90s about something that occurred decades before. The understanding of Autism was very different back then. With that said, this book was instrumental in changing my attitude about the amount of work and methods for helping an autistic child adapt and regain skill sets. I loved the book and marvel at the dedication of this family. A must-read for anYone working with a child with special needs!
Curtis Jensen
5 stars for creating an amazing autism program in a time when there was nothing of the kind and for having the fortitude to follow through with it.
4 stars for literary prose.
3 stars for being more of an advertisement and testimonial of their program and not having enough details on how the program works.
Missy
Amazing story of Barry and Suzi Kaufman who recovered their son Raun from autism in the 70's. They set up a non-profit to assist other parents to help their disabled children. A story of acceptance, persistence, and the power of love. Highly recommend.
Jamie
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in college it is very touching!
Fishface
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great and inspiring, if unbelievably purple, read. Every parents of an autistic child should read this one.
Beth
Jan 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book brought me into the field i work in. Very inspiring to me when I read it back in college.
Mommy
Nov 12, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a tough read, overly discriptive
Clivemichael
Intense regime, inspiring and hopeful.
Laura Hodgins
I don't know how to take a book off my reading shelf, accidently clicked on this, right title, wrong author, was reading Son Rise by Barry Neal Kaufman.
Lindsey Van
This is a fantastic book about a child with autism whose parents love him unconditionally and through that unconditional love, the young boy no longer shows any signs of being on the ASD spectrum.
Wendy
Dec 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I started with the original "Son Rise" book and enjoyed it. Then I found this book which contains the original as well as updates on what happened next.
Rachel Schulenburg
I am re-reading this for the autism training class in June.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder: A Mother's Story of Research & Recovery
  • A Circle of Children
  • Strange Son
  • P.S. Your Not Listening
  • You're Going to Love This Kid!: Teaching Children with Autism in the Inclusive Classroom
  • The Incredible 5-point Scale: Assisting Children with ASDs in Understanding Social Interactions and Controlling Their Emotional Responses
  • Autism Breakthrough: The Groundbreaking Method That Has Helped Families All Over the World
  • Impossible Cure: The Promise of Homeopathy
  • Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders
  • Mother Warriors: A Nation of Parents Healing Autism Against All Odds
  • Let Me Hear Your Voice: A Family's Triumph over Autism
  • The Pocket Parent
  • Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns
  • Understanding Autism for Dummies
  • Children With High Functioning Autism: A Parent's Guide
  • Beyond the Austic Plateau - A Parent's Story and Practical Help with Autism
  • Exploring Social Psychology
  • Thinking About You Thinking About Me: Philosophy and strategies to further develop perspective taking and communicative abilities for persons with Asperger ... Autism, Hyperlexia, ADHD, PDD-NOS, NVLD