Start by marking “Italy: 2015” as Want to Read:
Italy: 2015

Italy: 2015

Experience the best of Italy with DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Italy. This newly updated travel guide for Italy will lead you straight to the best attractions this country has to offer, from touching the stones of the Colosseum in Rome to gazing up at Michelangelo's David in Florence to slurping gelato along the canals of Venice.

- Extensive itinerary recommendations help p
Paperback, DK Eyewitness Travel Guide, 672 pages
Published September 15th 2014 by DK Eyewitness Travel (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Italy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Italy

Start your review of Italy: 2015
Kay
I'd rate this one four stars but for one key flaw -- man oh man is it heavy! I'd never dream of carting this book around -- it's strictly a reference book as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that, I'm a big fan of the Eyewitness Travel Guides. The format is appealing -- a lavishly illustrated introductory section expounding on the history and key features of the city followed by color-coded sections, each devoted to a different area. As might be expected, art and architecture are are
Lorraine
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone planning a trip to Italy.
DK books are great! DK Eyewitness Travel 2016 Italy has helped me plan my husband's and my trip to Italy in 2017. I have wanted to stay at Villa d'Esta on Lake Como about 45 minutes from Milan (NE) since I visited Lake Lugano in Switerland when I was in my twenties. It looks as though I am finally going to stay there for our 35th wedding anniversary next year and I cannot wait! We will also stay in Venice visiting Verona on the way. Then we will take a train to Rome and from there to Pompeii. Th ...more
JG (The Introverted Reader)
This was great for choosing which areas we wanted to visit because of the color pictures. I do recommend it for that. I would never pack it to carry around with me on my trip though. It weighs an absolute ton! I carried Rick Steves books with me on my trip.
Julie (JR)
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book and I used it as reference, but didn't find it as helpful in planning a trip as the Rick Steves guide book to Italy.
Harry
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great info and advice
Ietrio
Dec 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: practical
This is a regular travel guide. I don't think it is any better than the others.
PWRL
Oct 22, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-new
A, SM
Matthew M
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pages: 111
Genre: Non-Fiction
Brief summary: This book is about all the places in Italy my favorite is place their is Venice. Venice is in northeaster Italy and has a group of around 120 small islands, It is the capital of the Veneto region and has over 270,000 people. In Italy Venice is pronounced "Venezia." The city is not actually built on islands because it is not strong enough to support the building, they are supported by a series of wooden platforms. Venice is made up of many canals
Meko
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I brought this book with me to Italy last April. It was very useful. This book is filled with numbers of colored pictures which is different from the other travel guides. It is easy to match the view in your eyes and the instroductions given by the book in the format of colored pictures, especially when you don't have time to do too many research before the trip. It might provide less information than those text stlye travel guides but I really can't be bothered to read loads of black and white ...more
Blecy Ong
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rome is a wonderful place. This book will help you pick places to visit in Italy and help you discover the beauty and pleasures of being in Italy. So, here’s a page with some of the most useful Italy travel tips on the book. It will help you to figure out a budget for your trip and also some good ways to cut the costs of an Italy trip. This is a great guidebook that could cover things there to do and see in Italy. I found this book easy to read and full of lots of useful information. Great book ...more
David Lafferty
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always loved this series of books, especially the Italy books but never thought they would be practical to take on a trip due to their weight. After going to Italy this year and not taking this book, I realized what a big mistake that was. There were a lot of people using it, plus it's great if you just want to roam around and know what you're looking at. Hey, it weighs less than all the bottles of water I was lugging around!
Donovan
Dec 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Very much enjoyed. Love the eyewitness books. After complete trip planning we've decided to delay trip for now and instead go to Cape Cod for our anniversary, but I'd highly this book for anyone preparing for a trip to Italy. I've used this same guide series for other international trips and they are fabulous.
Sara W.
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Traveling will no longer difficult now, this book is the best guide! Italy, as what I have known is the best place to visit, with all the beautiful places that really amazed everyone. This book showed me the best places to visit in Italy and to enjoy food, accommodation, and to relax and shop. This book made my vacation easier since this include a map. See you there!
Linda
Sep 15, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic
Lots of lovely photos, good history of Italy, interesting cultural info. But the hard information about places to see is superficial, and since this guide was written in 1996, dated and incorrect. Look at it for inspiration but rely on something newer, with more detail, when you get there.
Phil
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, italy
As always, the DK guides come through. Best for planning, not carrying, (must weigh 2 lbs). The high points of the whole country are covered. For specific regions, though, you're better off with the DK Guides to "Florence" "Rome", etc.
Annette
Oct 22, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was our guide when we visited Italy in May of 2000. I love the photos in these Eyewitness books. The only drawback is the weight...these books are of such a good quality, glossy paper, that they're pretty heavy to carry around. But, you hate to be without them.
Kristen Luppino
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lots of great info! it has me pumped for continuing planning our trip! though dog earing the book was difficult...the book itself needs some additional editing. There are references to pages that aren't correct and the different regions are not necessarily formatted the same ways.
Chad Lamb
Very helpful guide in my trip planning. This book helped me know what to look for in sites for each city I visited and in famous paintings and sculptures at the various museums in Florence. Really useful road map helped me get around the insane layout of Venice.
Cheer Papworth
Apr 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
This book really covers the highlights of Italy. I still go back and look at it all the time and marvel at the fact that I have been there and have actually seen all these marvelous things! Great travel companion book!
Barry Avis
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Purchased this book st before a 2-week holiday to the Norceni Girasole Eurocamp near the tow of Figline Vardano. The book was very packed with information and helped us find nearby places to visit.
Dan
Great pictures -- didn't use too much on my Italian trip though.
Michele
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
I didn't read this book cover-to-cover, but the parts on Florence were informative and the illustrations are awesome.
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative and fun to read which is difficult for travel books
Emma
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good things, not the best guidebook though..A lot of details about the insides of buildings and museums and how they're laid out. I'm not sure if this is the edition I read, but I think it is.
I_love_a_happily_ever_after
Great Photography reference, but buy Rick Steves as a companion book.
Lauren
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, italy
I think DK travel books are the most well-rounded and best to use when traveling to a new destination. These books have really helped me when deciding where to go and what to do.
AK
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

good source for long or short trips to italy.

Eileen Whitehead
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear and informative
Cara
Oct 24, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Eyewittness travel books include a lot of great pictures so I'm looking forward to it!
Cam
I prefer Rick Steve’s guides, but this one was still good for trip prep

• Paris
  • Rome
  • 1,000 Places to See Before You Die
  • Great Britain
  • London (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World
  • Ireland (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • France
  • A Thousand Days in Tuscany: A Bittersweet Adventure
  • National Geographic Traveler: Italy (National Geographic Traveler)
  • Japan
  • New York
  • Autumn In Piemonte: Food And Travels In Italy's Northwest
  • Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe
  • Made in America: An Informal History of the English Language in the United States
  • The Spectators