Start by marking “Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)

Boundary Crossed

(Boundary Magic #1)

After her twin sister’s brutal murder, former US Army Sergeant Allison “Lex” Luther vowed to protect her niece, Charlie. So when two vampires try to kidnap the baby, it quickly turns into a fight to the death—Lex’s death, that is.

She wakes up to two shocking discoveries: she has miraculously survived the fight, and baby Charlie is a “null,” gifted with the ability to

Published May 1st 2015 by 47North

Start your review of Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
Ellen Gail
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, freebie
4 & 1/2 beautiful exciting paranormal stars!

Do you see that woman on the cover? The hot chick in the leather jacket, wind blowing through her hair? That's not Lex. Allison Luther aka Lex, an Army vet who served in Iraq, is a massive animal lover with a herd of rescue pets. She works nights at a convenience store, babysits her baby niece Charlie, and lives a fairly normal life.

Until she dies.

Boundary Crossed is a super fun and inventive paranormal novel. Vampires, witches, (and possibly
Montzalee Wittmann
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Boundary Crossed by F. Olson and narrated by Kate Rudd is a fabulous witch and vampire story with a very unique story line! I had hooked right away as our gal is working in a store when two people come in to buy diaper but don't know anything about it. When she goes over to help, she sees her niece in the stroller! They where kidnapping her. That's when they kill our hero. But that doesn't stop her. It is a great story with strange magic, action, and a touch of possible romance.
The narration
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay just so you know why...I didn't rate this as I realize what I hate and the reason i laid the book aside will be something others will "just love". So as it's very subjective I don't rate the book I simply say why I laid it aside (and returned it to Audible).

First, it was a little slow and "chatty". That in itself however wouldn't have caused my immediate, "oh good grief" and laying aside the book.

Let us have something I've stated before clear... I HATE FRIENDLY OR CUTE OR ROMANTIC OR
Khurram
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The thin line

A good story. Good characters. This is more setting the stage, Lex is really establishing her self and learning about the "Old World".

I like Lex's character stubborn and tough what you would expect from a soldier, also a bit of a loner as people can't relate to what she has been through as as soldier expect of course other soldiers.

There are a lot of way the routes story can take. I am interest to see where the series goes. Also Lex has a lot of personal business to settle. I can
Ian
While saving her niece from a kidnapping attempt Lex is stabbed multiple times. She shouldn't be alive. Her heart stopped on the operating table. Then just as the doctor is about to call time of death, it starts beating again.

That's Lex's introduction into the supernatural world of vampires and witches. As a boundary witch, a witch who has power over life and death she has never received any training and the leader of the local coven wants to keep it that way. She's just too dangerous. But she
Mara
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
3 1/2

It seems to me Melisa Olson will never be an author with too much appeal (for me). I liked (a couple of) her books enough, but I end up picking at them.

Boundary Crossed is set in the same world of Dead Spot, simply in an other city. Again I found plot and world-building interesting, but had a problem with some characters. Or facets of them.

Lex could have been way more interesting, still it's a female character I can root for (even with some of the cliche). But Ms Olson made her a bit flat
 Simply Sam ツ
***3.5 Stars***

I liked this one. Maybe it's because I listened to the audio? I don't know. Whatever the reason, I was never bored and I was genuinely interested in the story. Granted, it's really not the most exciting of books. It introduces the reader to the "Old World" of vampires and witches (there are werewolves too, just not in this book) but on a really mundane level, if that makes sense. We learn a little bit about the vampires, a little bit about witches and how their magic works. But
Runningrabbit
Crossing Over

KU 3.5
I struggled between giving this a three or four star rating, so have settled on 3.5.

I would have appreciated a faster pace on this and am hoping, now that a lot of background has been established, that the next novel will ramp it up. The plotline could have been more complex to make the story more intriguing and maybe a bit of a touch of humour(?) to lift portions of the tone.

I am looking forward to see where the following book goes.
Emma
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a new to me author. I enjoyed the world created here where witches and vampires co exist and where minds can be ‘pressed’ to forget what has happened. I am very pleased to discover not only the series but the author too.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I won this is a GoodReads first reads giveaway!

A few mild *SPOILERS*

I really enjoyed this book. I loved the character Lex. She is a former US Army Sergeant and a boundary witch. She has no idea she is a witch until she is attacked by a couple of vampires that are trying to kidnap her little niece. This attack led her to be in the hospital where she meets another witch and a vampire who start filling her in on what she is, of course blowing her away.

She has to go and meet with the head vampire
Gergana
Jul 03, 2016 marked it as zzz-books-not-for-me
DNF:70%

Boundary Crossed has one of the best, most exciting beginnings I've ever read in the Urban Fantasy genre. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to keep my interest for the rest of the book. In the end, I just lost interest, which is not to say that this book isn't worth checking out.

What do we have:
- Awesome start - action-packed, horrifying, original.
-Protagonist who is new to the supernatural world in her city. I admit, it's sometimes better to have the MC already aware and involved in the
Treece
Fast paced and plot shadp

With fantastic dialogue, well padded world building, an interesting plot and most importantly, Allison Alexandra Luther, a tough and smart, lovable veteran heroine, Boundary Crossed is an original, quirky joy ride of a book. Once I started reading,it was difficult to stop. The supporting characters comprised of friends, family and furries - " the herd" as they are lovingly called by Allie/Lex- added extra luster to the story . The fact it's set in Boulder, CO adds all
Alaina
Super quick audio.

Boundary Magic kind of reminded me of the first book from Scarlett Bernard series. Mostly because of all the supernatural stuff and the information about nulls. It also doesn't hurt that this is the spin-off series either. So, after realizing that I was kind of intrigued to see how this book was going to go.

Lex was interesting character. I was really liking her and Quinn, who just happened to be a vampire. So, naturally I was shipping them together. Besides all of that though,
Jeanny
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I keep going from a 3.5 rating to a four star rating for this book. I'm not sure what I'll decide & being I round up my GR stars I guess it hardly matters. What I am sure of is I'll be reading book 2 in this series.
Lena
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
C7432F04-7D7D-4667-8A66-7AED1E4652A9.jpg
Reread: I enjoyed this story substantially more when I quit the audiobook and picked up the kindle.

A boundary witch is sometimes called a black witch by unPC Wiccan trades witches because they are necromancers (though that word is never used, too Anita Blake lol).

But Lex Luther is not interested in being the villain of this story. Her goals are to protect her null niece, and maybe score with her hot vampire coworker, Quinn.

“...sometimes protecting the greater good means being the lesser evil.
Coyora Dokusho
It was fabulous, really, really, really fabulous. There were feels and action and AMAZINGNESS. The world-building was great. The plot was absorbing. The characters made places for themselves inside my heart. I loved it.
Dominique
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
3.5 stars - $1.99 Kindle sale - Boundary Magic 1-4 - Jan. 18, 2020.
Ami
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Olson's previous urban fantasy series, Scarlett Bernard, so when I saw her releasing a new one I jumped on it. But of course I forgot about it, piled it up under so many to-read books. Until yesterday when on a whim (plus I was in my urban fantasy mood) I decided to finally pick this up. Well, Olson surely knew how to begin the first chapter, that's for sure...

The third time I died was early on a Monday morning, a week after Labor Day.

How could I NOT get intrigued??

The story opened
Kathleen (QueenKatieMae)
THERE ARE GOOD WITCHES

THERE ARE BAD WITCHES

BUT MY FAVORITE ARE THE KICKASS WITCHES

US Army Sargeant Allison "Lex" Luther was honorably discharged after almost dying in the field in Iraq. Anger management issues, possible PTSD issues, and family tragedy turned Lex into a hermit living in a cabin in the Colorado wilderness with her horde of rescue animals and working nights at the Flatiron Depot.

A boring night at the Depot and a fortuitous incident changes everything in Lex’s life.
Anita
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: powerful-women
YAY! Finally a fantasy book I'm able to enjoy! That is mainly because of its strong lead character. Unlike the usual trope for this kind of books, the female lead character (Lex) isn't a wide-eyed teenager or a slightly older young woman with a bitter look on life. Lex is a 30 y.o. well adjusted and mainly happy except for a tragic episode in her recent past. And... gasp! She's not alone in the world either! She has a nice loving family that cares for her: father, mother (not divorced), a lot of ...more
Melindeeloo
3.5 stars- I enjoyed this foray to another corner of the Old World of Olson's Scarlet Bernard series, with Boundaries Crossed we get to see a bit more of the witchy part of that world and meet a new set of characters. I liked the army vet leading lady, Lex, who discovers her magic along with the hidden Old World filled with witches, were's and vamps, when she foils her toddler niece's kidnapping.

The story moves along well as Lex commits her services and her new magic to the local vamp boss in
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lex seems to have a talent for surviving impossible injuries. When she is stabbed several times while trying to save her niece from a kidnapping attempt, she learns her talent might have something to do with magic. Since the kidnappers were vampires, she is introduced to the Old World and discovers that she is a witch. Her niece is still a target, so she teams up with a vampire (Quinn) to find out who is trying to kidnap her and why. By night, she investigates with Quinn, by day she learns how ...more
Rob Blackwell
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"The third time I died was early on a Monday morning, a week after Labor Day."
So begins another terrific urban fantasy novel by Melissa Olson, whose Scarlett Bernard books I've also greatly enjoyed.
It's a great opener and the book never slows down from there. It's an origin story of Allison "Lex" Luthor, who discovers she's unable to die because she's a witch. Olson has explored witches before in her other books, but what makes this one special is the kind of witch Lex is -- and the abilities
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
Quick review:

Cover: Fitting
Rating: PG-13
Thumbs Up: 3.5
Overall: Pretty Good
Characters: Well Written
Plot: Saving her niece the null
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Quinn

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
I went in with an open mind and I’ll continue with the series. I can’t say I was jumping up and down for joy, but I did find the book entertaining.

For a full review and yummy pic, see my blog post at:

Audio Review
Kate Rudd does a
R&R Express
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very unique

I loved this story. It's very unique in terms of using a female veteran as the hero in a paranormal book. This story doesn't seem to pull from other books, it's unique and creative. I'm happy to see the potential for a little romance, too, but the suspense is enough to drag you in completely. Lots of unanswered questions here and I hate having to wait for the next book!
Krissy
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good start to the series
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book one of the "An Old World Novel" series by Melissa F. Olson narrated by Kate Rudd.
Lex is an ex army sergeant honourably discharged and working at supermarket trying to get over losing her twin sister less then a year ago and PTSD from been only surviving member of her unit.
One night a couple come into the shop looking for nappy but when Lex looks at the baby she realises it her niece and try's to stop her abduction.
While unsuccessfully trying to protect Charlie Lex is stabbed and dies but
Ina
Quinn grinned. "We hate each other, of course."
"Of course," Simon said with a straight face. "Bloodsucking scum."
"Devil-worshipping mama's boy," Quinn retorted cheerfully.

I'll admit it right here and now - I really didn't expect to like this as much as I did, especially after finishing Olson's other series set in the same world - Scarlett Bernard. Generally, I liked the other series, I liked the world building and most of the characters, but I wasn't completely in love with the main
Caitlin
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
For more reviews like this check out Weezled.

“The third time I died was early on a Monday morning, a week after Labor Day.”

The opening line of Boundary Crossed is, by far, the high point of the novel. Olson does a great job of capturing your attention in the first chapter, but I found my interest waning in chapter two. From there it plateaus into a flawed but easy read, allowing you to relax and enjoy the Benny Hill sketch that is Boundary Crossed complete with vampires, secret witches and

• Well of Magic (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #4)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • Night Stalker (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #2)
  • Dark Dancer (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #3)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Pack of Lies (The Potentate of Atlanta #2)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon #1)
  • Family and Honor (Jacky Leon #2)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • Succubus Ascendant (The Telepathic Clans, #5)
  • Chameleon Uncovered (Chameleon Assassin, #2)
  • Chameleon Assassin (Chameleon Assassin, #1)
  • How to Wake an Undead City (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #6)
  • Shadow Magic (Hidden Magic #1)
  • The Succubus Gift (The Telepathic Clans, #1)
  • How to Kiss an Undead Bride: The Epilogues (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #7)
  • Chameleon's Death Dance (Chameleon Assassin, #4)
  • Witches' Brew (Dark Streets #3)
Melissa Olson was born and raised in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, and studied film and literature at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles. After graduation, and a brief stint bouncing around the Hollywood studio system, Melissa landed in Madison, WI, where she eventually acquired a master's degree from UW-Milwaukee, a husband, a mortgage, a teaching gig, two kids, and two comically ...more

Boundary Magic (5 books)
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
  • Boundary Broken (Boundary Magic, #4)
  • Boundary Haunted (Boundary Magic, #5)
“Fainting is for preteen girls and those really weird goats. I do not faint!” 3 likes
“Killing someone in the middle of the sentence leaves a disturbing lack of closure.” 2 likes