Start by marking “Lunaside” as Want to Read:
Lunaside

Lunaside

Moira Connell just wants to drink tea, draw pictures, and hang out with Andrea, her girlfriend. But that's before her mother accuses her of wanting to spend her time making out with girls, rather than planning which universities to court in senior year.

Published January 6th 2015 by Prizm Books an Imprint of Torquere Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about Lunaside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lunaside

- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
So first of all, I read this for the Ace Book Club, thanks for the review copy! This has been the first time I've seen an explicitly asexual character in literature, and it was really nice to see.

However, as an asexual reader reading a supposedly ace book, it was a tad disappointing that the only ace character was relatively minor and that the main relationship still ended with sex as the end goal of a romance. Also, the ace character as portrayed as childish. Admittedly, I'm childish and ace,
Melissa
Alice
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Note: I received a review copy of this book, and read it as part of the Ace Book Club.

Lunaside focuses on our main character Moira's struggle to balance her job at a summer camp (named Lunaside, naturally) with her relationship with her girlfriend, Andrea, and her attraction to another counselor, Millie. The result is a light, super cute read, with some charming characters. What is better than girls who like girls working at a summer camp? Not much.

The book is heavily character-driven and there
Leah Slootweg
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adored this story.

It has a very casual feel but at the same time it has a nice depth with the characters. If I could, I would love to spend a summer on the island and visit Lunaside. Kudos to J.L. on this great little work.
Karten
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Moira date Andrea and don't search for an university to study in next year. Two things which quite bothered her mum. She's gonna spend the summer in Lunaside to show her mum she's responsible. There, she'll be trying to be a great art camp counselor for her few campers while helping with filming some webseries about the camp and figuring out what is going on with her feelings for another girl.
---
I did enjoy this book. Even if I only give it an "it was ok", I did. I mean, eh, I wanted to keep my
Asher Blake Beckner
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed

A job as an art counselor at Lunaside, the summer camp down the road from Moira's house, is supposed to help Moira prove she isn't procrastinating, and that she isn't 'girl-crazy' either. Then the eccentric owner of Lunaside ropes her into starri
Samantha Rodriguez
Apr 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received a review copy of the book.

Lunaside is the story of a girl called Moira as she tries to balance her summer job as the art counselor for Lunaside Summer camp with her girlfriend and her growing attraction to another camp counselor named Millie.

The book is decent, reminding me of the sort of novels I would read in middle school. It's definitely something I'd suggest as a gift for the teenage lesbian in your life. Unless you are the teenage lesbian, in which case, you can prob
Bianca
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ace-bookclub
I read this book after having received a review copy from the publisher. I would like to note that I read it in 8 days while I usually read a book this size in about 20 days.

From the beginning I really liked the style of writing in this book. It is really fast paced and casually written.

In the beginning I could really relate to Moira, she is a nervous but very happy. Okay, this book isn’t a literary masterpiece but it is a very airy and well written book. If you are looking for a quick happy a
Tvproducer02 .
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Maria C, Sarah
Here is a hint look up Sharon Belle, she is exactly the perfect look for Moria.

I read this book in one sitting. It grabbed the moment Moira pushed her girlfriend Andrea off of her when she thought she was going to "get caught fooling around with her girlfriend" in the sand dunes. When all they are really were doing was cuddling. Moira awkwardness and self-adjusting to a life of being an out lesbian with girlfriend is just the tip of the issues she faces in the book.

Moira deals with her mother a
Bobby
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book as part of the Ace Book Club.
Honestly, if I hadn't been reading this as part of a book club, I probably would never have picked it up (I'm not a big fan of romance novels), and if I had, I would've put it right back down after a couple pages-- which would have been a DNF/1*. (Yeah, I'm a bit of a judgmental reader.)

The main draw of this book is its diversity (view spoiler)
Madeleine
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is not the genre I would usually pick from the shelf today, and reading it I was definitely reminded why. I just don't really like love triangle storylines anymore.

Anymore being a key word, all through the book I was reminded how much I used to love this kind of book when I was in my very early teens. I read so many love stories, but never anything like this. My 23 year old self might not have been so impressed by this, but I kept wishing that my 12 year old self would have had the cha
Yuè
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Oh, Lunaside.

This was the first time reading a book from the Ace Book Club. I liked the idea of Lunaside and after a week of debating, I bought it.

I'm just going to say it: the beginning was very disappointing. I just didn't like it. I wasn't fan of the characters, the writing style felt mediocre, the story was a bit annoying.

But around chapter 10-11, aka halfway, it all went up. Yes, it still was frustrating to read sometimes, but aren't love triangles supposed to be frustrating?

Be
Lauren James
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia
Three words: lesbian love triangle. One so expertly crafted that I genuinely changed my mind about who to ship at least once a chapter.

Moira lives on a small island, where everyone knows everyone. She's out, but she's not comfortable admitting she's in a relationship, because to her that's what would cause the small-town gossip. She is working at a summer camp for kids, helping run the art group, and her girlfriend runs the film camp.

There's also a new girl, who immediately tells Moira she's g
Holly
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book through the Ace Book Club, which is an exciting thing to be a part of!

The start felt a bit slow and a drag to get through, let's be honest, but things did start to pick up towards the later chapters - so you just have to stick to it and work through it. One thing that I liked a lot was the character development, and the fact that the setting takes place mainly at a summer camp - I'm a bit of a sucker for summer camp books since my childhood was spent at summer cam
Samantha
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Victoria
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Heidi
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Veronika Ritz
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book.
First of all I don't like love triangles. This made the whole story a bit frustrating for me, Moira spent too much time thinking about who to choose, and that took time from more interesting issues I would've loved to read more about. The other part of the story was good. Basically it's a summer time teen romance, it has a calm feel to it.
What I really loved were the well-built characters. Any writer can buy me with that. Everyone has their personalities, t
Emilie Nantel
May 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
This book is really well written but I didn't like the story. I loved the relationship between Moira and her girlfriend, and I thought she had no chemistry with the new girl so I found that the love triangle (which is at the center of the plot) came out of nowhere and was boring.
The main character was also quite snobby, with her hatred of unhealthy food, the fact that she doesn't watch movies, and that she doesn't even read books! (I mean, what's up with that?) She basically has two interests: a
Graswurzel
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
As an aromantic asexual, I do not feel the same closeness to the romantic feelings of the characters like other readers. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the novel. The characters felt very "real" and the more I read the more I wanted to know the solution of the love triangle.

But I have some critique, too. Although polyamory was introduced quite positive another character spoke of the topic very negative. This came very unsuspected and was something I had a problem with. But a major point is the
C.M. Spivey
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I should disclaim my rating by saying that romance is not a genre I usually enjoy, especially not teen romance, especially not summer camp teen romance. I picked up this book for Ace Book Club, and went into it with an open mind, because even though it hit a trifecta of stuff that makes me go "meh" it has lesbians, which makes everything better.

Alas, this book was only "okay" for me. I didn't particularly gel with any of the characters, who felt a little flat to me, and I didn't find the confli
Katii
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
This isn't the kind of book I'd typically pick up, but I got a review copy with ace book club so I decided to read it. I honestly think preteen me would have loved the love triangle story line, but as a young adult I wasn't enamored with it. I struggled to get to the end, largely because I was uninvested in the characters and story line, which as an aromantic I found pretty slow going at times and kinda boring at others.

In conclusion, Preteen me may not have devoured this book, but I would have
Claudie Arseneault
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
Lunaside was such a fun, surprising read, I'm glad I got around to pick it up. I don't usually read YA or contemporary, yet I got involved really fast with Moira's troubles. Probably because I absolutely adore Andrea and couldn't get enough of her overactive, geeky self. ^^ Overall this as satisfying, fun, and entrancing all at once. And honestly ... you can't go wrong with Summercamp Lesbian Triangle at this time of the year. (end of June)
Jenni Frencham
Because of my work on the Stonewall Awards committee, I cannot publicly comment on this work. I will post a review of this and other children's/young adult LGBT novels once the 2016 Stonewall Awards have been announced.
Cynthia
Ace Book Club: Lunaside Week 1 7 34 Apr 18, 2016 02:05PM
  • Lilies of the Bowery
  • Marian
  • The History of Us
  • Honey Girl (Honey Girl, #1)
  • The Rise and Fall of a Theater Geek (Justin Goldblatt, #2)
  • Something True (Out in Portland, #1)
  • The Rules of Ever After
  • For Sizakele
  • Out of Order (The Survivor's Club, #1)
  • About a Girl (Metamorphoses, #3)
  • Popcorn Love
  • From Under the Mountain (Trident Chronicles, #1)
  • A Story of Now (A Story of Now, #1)
  • Our Broken Sky (Chaos Theory, #1.5)
  • Ten Days
  • The Suicide Club
  • First World Problems (Solving For Ex #2)
  • Charlotte Cuts it Out