Start by marking “Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)” as Want to Read:
Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)

Angles of Attack

(Frontlines #3)

The alien forces known as the Lankies are gathering on the solar system’s edge, consolidating their conquest of Mars and setting their sights on Earth. The far-off colony of New Svalbard, cut off from the rest of the galaxy by the Lanky blockade, teeters on the verge of starvation and collapse. The forces of the two Earth alliances have won minor skirmishes but are in dang

Published April 21st 2015 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about Angles of Attack, please sign up.
John Franks You don't need one if you are an Amazon prime member. Just download it. But start with the first of the series: Enlistment.

Bradley
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
What is it about third books in Space Opera that always brings us back home to Sol for a shootout for the fate of Earth? Just curious. :)

Kloos is piecing together the fractured forces of humanity and is giving us a very, very slight hope against all these overwhelming odds.

Oh, who am I kidding? People are still people and fractured is what we are. Is our distant colony going to starve, can our heroes breath through the blockade around earth to bring resources? Can Grayson ever meet up with his w
Mr. Matt
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I violated a cardinal rule of reviewing. Work was busting my ass so I didn't get around to reviewing this book for way too long. I read it. It was pretty darn good, but there were parts I kinda sorta didn't care for. Specifically what those were, I'm not 100% sure any longer. it was, however, a solid three star book. I remember that much.

Solidly sci-fi, the book picks up right on the heels of book 2. After several years of kicking humanity's ass, the Lankies have their over-sized boot placed fir
Gary
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
The third entry in this reliably fast paced and addictive series doesn't break any new ground, but Kloos has ironed out the kinks from his early missteps and turned Frontlines into a well oiled machine. This is military action at its best, with a nice character-centered balance to give the story some weight.
This one has the Lankies invading our solar system, and with the fleet in disarray it's up to the survivors in the Fomalhaut system to develop a strategy for giving Earth a fighting chance. S
Lindsay
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Back to Earth through a sea of Lankies, but will there be anything left for the exiles from Fomalhaut to find?

We start with a combined SRA/NAC action against the Lankies, move onto a recon mission that takes Andrew Grayson back to Earth on the Indianopolis, the critical little stealth ship from the second book, and then onto to some huge shocks for people following the story.

This series continues to be excellent, full of action against the inscrutable Lankie alien threat, while looking really ha
Eric Allen
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Military Sci-Fi is a subgenre I've loved ever since I saw Aliens back in the '80s as a kid, and have practically eaten up every bit of it I could get my hands on since then, from Heinlein's Starship Troopers, probably the book that created the subgenre, to Mobile Suit Gundam and other Japanese animated additions to it, to the more modern books by such writers as Jack Campbell and B.V. Larson. Whether it be space marines vs. aliens, space marines vs. other space marines, ship to ship conflicts, s ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Well, the solid waste has really collided with rotary impeller...

Earth is about all that's left. Only a few scattered colonies that are now on their own and Earth remain to humans. The Lankies have taken Mars and it's only a matter of time before Earth comes in for their attention.

And the elite who've been running the governments of Earth have seemingly ditched the rest of humanity.

The good plotting and relatable characters continue here with plenty of action for the "action aficionados among u
Andrew West
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Jesus christ, you figured out how to kill them at the end of last book, why didn't a) anyone else figure out something so simple, or b) do it again?

Every time they turn up I think "aha, let's just fill a ship with water and use its magic engine that doesn't appear to require fuel to reach 1% of light speed, and ram them by remote control again".

Also, you can't really have an economy where there's nothing for 90% of the population to do AND where that 90% has nothing. Also you don't stop making
Rob
Executive Summary: What was a good series took a major step towards great with this book. Each book seems to be an improvement over the last, and this one was even more of an improvement over book 2 than book 2 was over the first one. If you like Military Sci-Fi (or maybe even just space opera) give this series a look.

Audiobook: Luke Daniels does another excellent job as always. I always enjoy him as a narrator and this one was no different. He definitely adds that extra something that makes aud
David
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Staff Sergeants engaged to Lieutenants, gay Russian space marines
Among the many straightforward military SF series I've started, Marko Kloos's "Frontlines" is one of the few I've stuck with. Three books in, it is not slumping, and while it does show signs of developing into the Perpetual War That Goes On Forever, there has so far been a significant upping of stakes in each book, without feeling like we are just treading water.

In the last book, Grayson and his combined detachment of Fleet personnel and exiled Home Defense troops had been abandoned on a ice wor
Per Gunnar
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Generally this is a good book continuing the Frontlines story but I do indeed have some gripes with some aspects of the story. The book starts off with a nice piece of action where the Commonwealth and Sino-Russian alliance are actually kicking some Lankie behinds. However, then there is not really any follow up. They just waltz in, shot up some Lankies and then that course of action is more or less abandoned. During said attack there are some strange behavior on the Lankies side but that also l ...more
Larry
May 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
I needed some escapist reading and thought that Kloos’ next-in-the-series sci-fi novel would do the trick. Unfortunately it didn’t. While I enjoyed the first book which was set on earth sometime in the future, this one is set in space – and fighting 80-foot (‘Lanky’) aliens just didn’t cut it for me.

It’s not as good as “The Lost Fleet” series – and not even close to being as good as the combat scenes in the "Hammer’s Slammers” series.

The series went from ‘good’ to ‘not-so-good’ to ‘not-good’ …
Athena Shardbearer
More like 3.75??? Better than the second, not as good as the first but I enjoyed this one very much.

Also, I NEED BOOK FOUR! Please!
Bruce Humbert
May 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
starting to lose hope for this series - need to take a break and listen to something different
Steve Caldwell
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got a review copy of this from the publisher, and I was glad I did, since this is an exceptional addition to the series. I will admit, this series is one of my favorite current sci fi series, along with Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series and H. Paul Honsinger's Man of War series. This story continues the story of Andrew Grayson, a soldier in the North American Commonwealth, as the power blocs of humanity fight the invasion forces of an alien race the humans have name the Lankies, which are buil ...more
Robert Thompson
Jun 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
All I have to say is that nothing about this series makes sense. Book one was nice reading and interesting. Book two was slow but gave humanity a chance, a way to fight back. Book three was about humanity not even acknowledging that opportunity, turning it into a never happened and then disregarding the big bad from the two previous books in the end. Like they are all gone. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Truth is I was about willing to give this a two star review but after writing down my thoughts
Ms. Nikki
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audible, audiobook, sci-fi
This read didn't do much in the way of destroying aliens and saving earth at all costs

There was much talking and planning. not nearly enough action.

Just a "blah" read to me.
Hank
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
So far this is the weekest of the three books, however I still very much enjoyed it. Similar to A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet there isn't much literary substance to the book. No sentences with multiple or hidden meanings, no words I have to look up, no phrases that send your mind realing off into multiple tangents. I consider it well written but basic and entertaining.

A couple of themes hit home due to current events. The political scene going on in the past decade or so(in the U.S.) wher
Yatish
Aug 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I was waiting impatiently for this book after being wowed by the previously excellent books in the series. This installment though does not live up to the high standards of the previous books.
All your main characters are there, the Lankie threat still exists but the story goes just drags with actually nothing happening in between. In the earlier books the technical details/weapons added to the narrative but in this they just fill up the narrative, the emotional connect that you felt with the cha
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Angles of Attack is book three of the Frontlines series and it continues in the manner as the first two books. It is fun Space Opera. The plot is the same. Earth is still in danger from the Lankies; aliens who are almost impossible to defeat.

There is enough back-story scattered in the book to remind everyone about what has gone before. In fact it is enough to help the book stand-alone. Like most series it would be more fun to read if you had read the first two books.

The main characters are easy
Chris Csergei
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I did not enjoy this book. While I was intrigued by the first book, especially with the intriguing glimpses of the enemy alien, this story line has lost all interest for me. Kloos has focused more on internal conflict among humans, and these books seem more of a place to demonstrate his view of the incompetence of all senior leaders, than to focus on how people would respond to an extra terrestrial threat. In world war 2 the UK and USA allied them selves with the Soviet Union to stop Nazism, why ...more
Olivier
May 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Really empty

I quite liked tome I of the serie, tome II was okay but I could barely finish this tome III. Only because I was out of connection and it was the only stuff available to read. No universe, ludicrously cliche characters, no plot.... Just description of fights which are also very reminiscent of the ones previously written by the author. And at the same time, the emptiness leaves you Wondering if it is the same guy who wrote the first opuses. I put 2 stars because of the previous tomes b
Katharine
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
I am about to exit this series unless something happens other than military bungling, officious bureaucracy and loading big ships with mass and aiming them at high speed into the enemy. Not as good as the first but I do need something else to happen. I feel I am being dragged along with no meaningful scientific information about the Lankies, other than nameless faceless baddies. My questions about them are never-ending, perhaps like the series?
Steven Bragg
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
The author is one of the best writers of military sci-fi out there. This third book in the series contains extremely clean writing, with plenty of action sequences. It is a bit weaker on presenting us with any gut-wrenching decisions or behind-the-scenes views of life on squalid Earth, as happened in the first two books. There is also essentially no character development. Nonetheless, it is an exciting and very enjoyable read. Blew through the whole book in one day.
Rob
Sep 14, 2015 added it
Poor follow up to two good books

This book was a real disappointment. It honestly seemed like it wasn't even the same author as the first two books. This episode seemed to keep repeating itself over and over and really blew it in every way.

Save yourself some time and money and leave yourself hanging with the second book.
John Adkins
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, kindle
The Battles Reaches Earth

The battle finally reaches Earth as Andrew continues to fight the Lankies. We still no next to nothing about the enemy and while this is perhaps what would accurately happen in a first contact situation it can be a tad frustrating. Overall though this is another existing volume that towards the end kept me up well past my proper bedtime.
Bee
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's so short! But great. Everything I've come to love from Mr Kloos. Continues the story wonderfully, has a satisfying ending, but leaves so much room for more. Luckily he is very close to finishing the 4th book in the series and we should see it before the end of this year. Yay!
Glen Robinson
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just reread this book in anticipation of reading the new one, Chains of Command, that just came out. And frankly in the past year I forgot a lot about what happened in it. It was just as much fun to read the second time around....well worth the effort.
Lianne Pheno
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Encore une entrée vraiment très sympa dans cette série. Je l'ai dévoré sans m'ennuyer une seule seconde même si je dirais quand même que ce tome est légèrement en dessous des deux précédents car c'est plus un tome de transition.

Difficile pour ce genre de série de ne pas spoiler ceux qui ne l'ont jamais lu (ou qui n'en sont pas au même point que moi) quand je parle des tomes précédent donc vous êtes prévenus.

Suite aux événements des tomes précédents les Lan
Artur Coelho
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Diga-se que Kloos é implacável na forma como estrutura o grande arco narrativo da sua série. Esperamos a todo o momento que se decida a resolver decididamente o grande macguffin da história, com o momento em que a Terra consegue travar a invasão alienígena. Este não será o livro onde isto acontece. Kloos arrasta este ponto narrativo lógico o mais que pode. Prefere focar-se nas relações ilógicas entre as autoridades que governam o planeta.

É a outra grande linha narrativa da série, a forma como es
Susana789
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ako oddychová military sci-fi má dielo za mňa viac ako priemernú úroveň nakoľko absentujú zbytočnosti. Nepsychologizuje sa (hurá, lebo analýzu iného biologického druhu zvláda pár autorít žánru, nie každý, koho ohúrili súčasné publikačné možnosti), dej má líniu (autor ho nezliepa v priebehu produkovania knihy v duchu hesla tento nápad od XY bol fasa, sem s ním), akcie majú dynamiku a spád a sú literárne, nie filmovým scenárom. OK, charaktery možno mohli mať viac vrstiev, ale v rámci žánru ide o z ...more
  • Brothers in Valor (Man of War, #3)
  • Dead Man's Debt (Poor Man's Fight, #3)
  • Shattered Spear (The Lost Stars, #4)
  • King of Thieves (Odyssey One: Star Rogue #1)
  • Call to Arms (Black Fleet Trilogy, #2)
  • The Chaplain's War
  • Skirmishes (Diving Universe, #4)
  • Stellar Fox (Castle Federation, #2)
  • The Empire's Corps (The Empire's Corps, #1)

Frontlines (6 books)
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
“You can’t read good-night stories to your bank account, or brush its hair, or teach it how to ride a bike for the first time.” 3 likes
“Nobody gives a shit what we want. We take what we’re served, and we ask for seconds, and that’s the way it goes.” 2 likes