Start by marking “A Batter of Life and Death (A Bakeshop Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Batter of Life and Death (A Bakeshop Mystery, #2)

A Batter of Life and Death

(A Bakeshop Mystery #2)

Welcome to Torte-a small-town family bakeshop where the coffee is hot, the muffins are fresh, and the cakes are definitely to die for...

It's autumn in Ashland, Oregon-'tis the season for a spiced hot apple cider with a serving (or two) of Torte's famous peach cobbler. It's also the perfect time for Jules Capshaw to promote her family's beloved bake shop by competing in The

Published June 30th 2015 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about A Batter of Life and Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Batter of Life and Death

Start your review of A Batter of Life and Death (A Bakeshop Mystery, #2)
☽¸¸.I am¸¸.•*¨ The ¸¸.•*¨*Phoenix¨*•♫♪ ☾
"What was the deal with these contestants... Was everyone putting on an act?"

Welcome (again) to Ashtown: a small, cozy town in Oregon which seems to have acquired a special taste... for murder
In this second book of the series, Jules and her precious bakery have been chosen to host a baking competition, which brought four other chefs in town. Everyone is very excited for the prize and the opportunity to be seen on TV... until the first course is served... and it's dead cold...

I know what you
Diane ~Firefly~
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, kindle, food
Good story. I am liking this series. Jules is interesting and once the love triangle gets dropped I'll be much happier, as will she. Her investigations are subtle and the townspeople interesting. This time there is a TV cooking competition in town and it seems all the chefs have secrets.
Kelcy
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid addition to the series. Jules is a likable protagonist.. but sometimes it is hard to gauge her personality. Other than being stubborn. She quiet, smart and sweet. I guess we will see more development as the series progresses.

The baking show plot was fun. Not sure how I felt about the end. The who and why seemed a little of a stretch. but overall fun read.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
A fun cozy mystery tailor-made for people like me who are as addicted to baking shows as they are to eating baked treats. The mystery was pretty good too.

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur Magazine for the July 2015 issue. http://affairedecoeur.com.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is the second book in the "Bakeshop Mysteries". Juliet (Jules) Montague Capshaw is settling back into life in her hometown of Ashland, Oregon after leaving her husband Carlos for a year break. The summer tourist season is coming to an end and Jules is trying to find ways to bring money into the family bakery, Torte, during the off season. She has found an exciting opportunity of letting a bake show "Take The Cake" use the bakery kitchen while they are in town filming. Jules was in for a ...more
Jonathan
A second in a series I can see that I'm going to love; A Batter of Life and Death was a wonderful book that I enjoyed.

The characters are wonderful; they're three-dimensional, not obnoxious, and realistic, which are all things that I look for in characters. The MC, Jules is strong and independent without being annoying. There's kind of a love triangle going on, but it works because one corner of the triangle is literally hundreds of miles away. However, I still with Jules would sever ties with
Amanda McGill
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
A cute cozy mystery.

Jules is still helping out her mother in their bakery, Torte. A reality series bake off is being filmed in their tiny town and Jules ends up being selected as a part of the show! Things on the show start off rocky when one of the mean spirited, drunk contestants is found murdered. Is another contestant to blame?

I like Jules and her relationship with her mother and her ex-boyfriend, detective Thomas. The mystery was good and there were lots of secrets that the cast and crew
Kara ✨
3.5 Stars!
A Bakeshop Mystery #2

I am now a self-proclaimed sucker for these cozy bake shop murder mysteries. They’re simple yet fast paced, light yet contemplative, and cheesy yet entertaining. The food descriptions are too much for me, though! I’m hungry and want to bake all the time.
Heidi
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars: A delightfully sweet and cozy mystery.

Jules is adjusting to life in her hometown, Ashland, Oregon, after years of living on a cruise ship. After an unexpected end to her marriage, Jules has settled into working at her family bakery. She is content with baking and finding a way to heal, but there are bills to pay. When an opportunity to appear on a baking show is presented to Jules, she can't resist as Torte could use the money to update their ovens, plus it would be an added boost
Terri
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great cozy from Ellie Alexander! Her main character Jules ends up competing on a cooking competition show when one of the contestants was murdered. As the substitute she is in the middle of all the backstage action and excitement of filming the show along with running her bakery Torte with her mom. Romance is in the air for many couples in this story- which ones will be together at the end and who killed the chef with all the secrets?
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
Jules Capshaw left her cruise ship job to go home and work with her mother at the family pastry shop, Torte. She's also separated from her husband, who kept a secret from her during their marriage that she thought she'd never be able to forgive, which is the main reason she returned home.

When a reality film crew comes to town, they're going to film their cooking show in Ashland, but unfortunately, one of the celebrity chefs is murdered and she's pretty much railroaded to take his place. While
Jenna
Once again, Ellie Alexander has baked up an irresistible treat of a story. Juliet (Jules) Capshaw is just settling back into life in her hometown of Ashland, Oregon. The summer tourist season has come to an end and Jules has enrolled her family bakery, Torte, in an exciting opportunity: a reality baking show filming right in town. Jules has volunteered space at Torte for one of the five competing bakers; what she didn't expect, was that she would be approached to be one of those contestants ...more
Lady Galaxy
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked the first book in the series, but this second book had a sub plot about a televised baking contest that was totally unbelievable. The author handled it as if it were for a blue ribbon at the county fair where contestants bake their cake off site and off camera and then bring in their final product for judging. In any televised baking contest I've ever seen, all the bakers are in the same place and their every move is filmed. I'm going to give the third book a try because I do like the ...more
Andrea Kalmbach
I didnt enjoy this as much as the first in the series. It was too long and repetitive. Needed better editing. I will read the 3rd in the series to make my final decision on how much I like this author.
Anna Lee
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Batter of Life and Death is the second book in the Bakeshop Mysteries. The theatre season is winding down for Jules and the residents of Ashland, Oregan's prime spot for everything Shakespearian. However, that doesn't mean that life is about to get quiet. With the appearance of The Pastry Channel's reality tv show, Take the Cake, life is getting really interesting in Ashland. Especially since Jules is a contestant on the show! Things really heat up when one of the contestant's is found dead.

I
Scarlett
So don't take my 3 star rating and think I didn't like this book. I really liked this book! It was cute and charming and I really enjoyed reading it. I really like these characters and the town and the Shakespeare references. I just feel like the book will not be very memorable or 4 star worthy. I liked it a lot, but I didn't love it. Solid 3.5 stars.

This is a great series to read when you just want an easy, enjoyable, not-too-serious book. Like I said, I absolutely love these characters and
Cheryl
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read later books in the series and wish I had been able to read them in order. While this was good as a stand along story, you know things that are going to happen. Jules is going to compete in the Pastry Channel’s reality show. One of the contestants is found dead in the buttercream. Jules was told not to find the murderer but she can’t help herself. she is also trying to decide what to do about her marriage and her former job on a cruise ship.
Selah Pike
Again, an eminently readable story that combines some of my favorite things: fun characters, a cute small town, Shakespearean references, a *baking competition*

And again, the killer is revealed almost by magic! Cringe.
Judy
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like Jules Capshaw. She's different from my other baking main characters.. I like her relationship with her mom and her over all demeanor. So far she's just at the wrong place at the right time but her approach to solving the mystery is apt and natural and not irritating. My only concern if any, is Jules may end up hurting every bone in her body with every ending...which might make this series a short one. Easy breezy reading, no cats and a very off tanget love triangle.. On to book 3!
Jenni
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started the bakeshop mystery series as a palette cleanser between some more heavy material. The first book, ‘Meet Your Baker’ really pulled me in because of the small-town charm and the connection to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. However, I wonder why no one else in this town is more concerned that multiple murders are taking place here?

SPOILERS AHEAD

I also felt that after the murderer was uncovered, the book tied up too quickly. It felt like the murder plot was abandoned in order to focus
Tina
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Perfect mixture of delicious treats and baker extrodinaire, Jules searching for a killer

Imagine , delicious cakes, pies, cookies and tortes. Then imagine a cold blooded murder. A Batter of Life and death was a perfect mixture of delicious treats and baker extrodinaire, Jules searching for a killer. If I could give this culinary delight of a mystery more than five stars I would.

Juliet Capshaw is grudgingly competing in Take the Cake, a televised pastry competition from the Pastry Channel.

Sapphyria
The reality show circuit has come to Ashland, Oregon in the form of Take the Cake. The Pastry Channel has pulled together 5 pastry chefs from around the country in a competition to wow audiences and judges. The winner will receive $25,000.00 and it seems that no one is above murder in order to win that amount of money. When Jules finds one of the chefs, an obnoxious man named Chef Marco, dead in the stage area of the show, she can't believe it's happening again. Finding a dead body in Book 1, ...more
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
5 eggs, 5 cups of sugar, 5 cups of flour, but 10 stars for A BATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH.

I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this book. It was one I was most looking forward to this year. It was worth the wait! I loved every minute of it! I gushed, and raved about the first book in this series, MEET YOUR BAKER, so I won’t get all gushy this time…but I will rave! A BATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH is one of my top three favorite book of 2015!

There is not one thing I don’t like about author Ellie Alexander’s
Once Upon a Romance Reviews

Sexual Content: None
Language (Profanity/Slang) Content: None
Violent Content: Minimal

Who doesn't love a baking competition? Jules found herself as a contestant due to the unfortunate murder of a diva chef. She would have been happy simply contracting space out her kitchen to a contestant, but what fun would that have been for the reader? This made it a whole lot easier for her to >not get involved in the investigation.

Even though we know what happened to Jules the last time she tracked down a
Deb
Book 2 in the Bakeshop Mystery series takes place a couple of months after 'Meet Your Baker' during the fall in Ashland, Oregon. Jules is working with her mother to get Torte (the family bakery) into the black and to update & upgrade the equipment. A popular television baking competition 'Take the Cake' is in town to film and Jules has been signed on as a replacement baker when a contestant has to leave before the competition begins and Torte is being used as one of the baking/staging areas ...more
Doward Wilson
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Baked goods, Shakespeare, a cooking channel contest and murder keep Jules Capshaw and the town of Ashland, Oregon busy. Jules and her mother own Torte, the local bakery. When the Pastry Channel decides to film a reality show, Take the Cake, Jule enters to raise money for improvements to the bakery. When the body of a competing chef is found head first in a mixing bowl of buttercream icing, Jules is sucked into the investigation revolving around her fellow contestants. Yummy baked goods, deceit, ...more
Melina
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was another great installment of the Bakeshop Mysteries by Ellie Alexander. The writing was superb in this book and the plot line was great. This story flowed really well and kept my attention throughout. I like how Ellie elaborated on all of the baking and cooking at Torte, it made the book seem all the more real. I really like the characters in this story, they are well developed and have realistic relationships with each other. I can't wait to find out what messes Jules will herself into ...more
QNPoohBear

Pastry chef Jules Capshaw has returned to her hometown of Ashford, Oregon to help her mother run the family bakeshop. It's doing well but needs a lot of updates and in a tourist town, income is earned only in the warmer months. Jules has some exciting news, however, a Hollywood TV producer is bringing The Pastry Channel's hit show Take the Cake to Ashford and wants to pay Jules and her mom for using their space! Then one of the contestants drops out and Jules is asked to be a
Emma Rose Ribbons
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
That was wonderful!
Another GREAT installment in the Bakeshop Mystery series. It was a nice change of pace to have Juliet as part of a television show, even though I can't imagine anything happening in the book happening on a TV set. I loved the new cast of characters and the recipes are, as always, mouth-watering to read about. I loved this.
Melodie
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Only the 2nd book in the series and I'm already hooked! Love the location, love the bakery and all the characters! In this one a cooking show has come to town for a baker's competition. In quick order one of the participants ends up dead, and the race is on to find the killer. Be forewarned, you will be craving baked goods..........ANY baked goods when you read these! RECOMMEND!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Food & Fiction: What's Your Kitchen Style? 14 24 Jul 09, 2015 06:23AM

• Fatal Cajun Festival: A Cajun Country Mystery
  • Dying for Devil's Food (Cupcake Bakery Mystery #11)
  • Live and Let Chai (Seaside Cafe Mystery #1)
  • Word to the Wise (Library Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • Murder Lo Mein (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Leave No Scone Unturned (Chef-to-Go Mystery #2)
  • The Spook in the Stacks (Lighthouse Library Mystery #4)
  • No Good Tea Goes Unpunished (A Seaside Cafe Mystery, #2)
  • Natural Thorn Killer (Rose City Mystery #1)
  • Death by Dumpling (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #1)
  • The Big Chili (Undercover Dish Mystery #1)
  • Muffin But Murder (Merry Muffin Mystery, #2)
  • Death of an English Muffin (Merry Muffin Mystery, #3)
  • Prose and Cons (Magical Bookshop, #2)
  • Lethal Licorice (Amish Candy Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Monument to the Dead (Museum, #4)
  • Buried in Bargains (Good Buy Girls, #3)
  • Prologue to Murder (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #2)
Ellie Alexander, author of the Bakeshop Mystery Series (St. Martin's Press), is a Pacific Northwest native who spends ample time testing pastry recipes in her home kitchen or at one of the many famed coffeehouses nearby. When she’s not coated in flour, you’ll find her outside exploring hiking trails and trying to burn off calories consumed in the name of research.

The 10th book in the Bakeshop

A Bakeshop Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Meet Your Baker (A Bakeshop Mystery, #1)
  • On Thin Icing (A Bakeshop Mystery, #3)
  • Caught Bread Handed (A Bakeshop Mystery, #4)
  • Fudge and Jury (A Bakeshop Mystery, #5)
  • A Crime of Passion Fruit (Bakeshop Mystery #6)
  • Another One Bites the Crust (A Bakeshop Mystery #7)
  • Till Death Do Us Tart (A Bakeshop Mystery #8)
  • Live and Let Pie (A Bakeshop Mystery, #9)
  • A Cup of Holiday Fear (A Bakeshop Mystery, #10)
  • Nothing Bundt Trouble