Start by marking “The Future Collection” as Want to Read:
The Future Collection

The Future Collection

This collection of sci fi stories from NY Times Bestselling author Beth Revis features worlds and technology from the future. Featuring three brand new, original tales and three reprints, each story explores a different set of characters in a different world and facing different problems in the future world.

"Doctor-Patient Confidentiality": A girl wakes up in a cryomed un
Published January 13th 2015 by Scripturient Books

To ask other readers questions about The Future Collection, please sign up.
Brenda I would also like the answer to this question. I would love to be able to purchase it for my high school library. Unfortunately, Amazon e-books don't…moreI would also like the answer to this question. I would love to be able to purchase it for my high school library. Unfortunately, Amazon e-books don't work very well in a library setting.(less)

Amber (Cosying Up With Books)
THE FUTURE COLLECTION is a compilation of 5 short stories, each with some sort of nod to sci-fi. I generally don't read short stories as I like to hear the whole story. Each of these shorts had a somewhat twist of an ending, some left me wanting a whole book and others I was happy to leave be. The former is the reason I don't really read short stories; if it's well written and in a genre I like then I'm going to want more and I'm going to obsess over what could have happened after the cut off. B ...more
Nadine
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Colour me impressed!
Beth Revis delivers fantastically crafted science fiction stories in very few pages. Each story gives enough information to capture the readers' attention and to understand the present situation. Each story made me wish they were part of a full length novel. Revis' writing style is clean and precise and her ability to craft a comprehensive world in a few pages is truly impressive. I will always read whatever she writes.

Short story rating break down:
Doctor-Patient Confid
Kristen
7.5/10 (3.5/5--> 3/5 on the Goodreads stars)

1- Doctor-Patient Confidentiality: This one was just alright. As I was reading, I was intrigued and curious about what was going on, but it was incredibly short (or at least it felt shorter than the others) and I felt like the 'twist' at the end was pretty expected. Just average.

2- The Most Precious Memory: This one was really interesting, and I really enjoyed it. I think that the ability that the main character has in this story is really cool, and
Princess Godoy
I got this from the author herself from the YA Spring Fling

This is an amazing read because for someone who loves the Across the Universe series, I have high expectations for Beth Revis other works and some of the short stories here are really amazing. Unlike other author, Beth explore other possibilities and doesn't stick to her usual Across the Universe's world, she made different setting and story that are enjoyable.

She is really an amazing author who are underrated and deserves more fame.
Rabea
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
3.5
Frida
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Future Collection is a collection of novellas, containing four new and two already published novellas. All of the novellas are set in the future, but apart from that they’re very different and contain many current topics and parallels to the world today. I like every one of them very much and Beth Revis really shows what an amazing author she is. I just want to read more and more and more. Definitely going to read her other works!

Doctor-Patient Confidentiality

The first novella is about a gir
Rayna
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 stars

Each short story left me feeling like I got punched sin the gut. They each held their own unique characters and story and each one had enough mystery to keep you wondering whether or not what was happening was actually taking place.

The first short story, Doctor-Patient Confidentiality, told of a girl who wakes from hyper-sleep to discover she had come close to death and that she had been brought back again. Many years have passed and she's unsure of where she is, but it mostly deals wit
Melody
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm not typically one for short stories but after reading and enjoying The Turing Test so much when it released, I knew I was in for reading a collection of Beth's short stories when this collection was announced. The Turing Test is probably one of my favorite short stories ever. So I was excited to start this short story collection which includes The Turing Test. It's so smart and so compelling. I love it. I love how stable yet disorienting each of the stories are. I really did love them all.

I
Paula
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed 'The Future Collection' from start to finish and I looked forward to reading it because I enjoyed the 'Across the Universe' series so much.

'The Future Collection' definitely packs a punch, all of the stories are well written and full of potential to become novels.

My favourite stories were 'Doctor-Patient Confidentiality', The Girl and the Machine' (I love how it ended) and 'As They Slip Away' which is a story from the 'Across the Universe' world and its the story of Bartie, Victria,
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This reads like the book version of Black Mirror, and like Black Mirror, the stories are a mixed bag. A few are wonderful and a few are just okay.

My personal favorites are The Girl & The Machine and The Turing Test, but I also really enjoyed The Most Precious Memory and The Lag.

The Turing Test was a great read even if you figured out the twist from the beginning as I did. Astute readers should figure it out (view spoiler)
Genni Eccles
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Such a good collection! I really loved some of the stories, but they were all much darker than I anticipated. I could have read this in one day, the collection is short, but I wanted to draw it out and I'm glad I did! All the stories are unique and yet still have a common underlying theme of a twisted future in them. If you're looking for some thought provoking short stories, these are the ones for you. My least favorite would be The Turning Test and my favorite would be As They Slip Away . T ...more
Frances Peterson
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am not usually a short story reader. I love the idea of short stories, I even love writing them but for me I usually find myself rushing through them not enjoying the true story. Also I find myself being board not having enough time to get into the story.

The Future Collection was a perfect short story collection. I got into each story without thinking about finishing it. When I was reading each story I kept wanting to read it. A lot of the stories I wish were longer. Beth Revis wrote in a sti
Caitlin Gutilla
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I averaged out my individual ratings and the book as a whole turned out to be like a 4.17....SO....

Doctor-Patient Confidentiality: 3.5. This was an interesting little story, but a little predictable.

The Most Precious Memory: 4. Awesome! This would be a really cool premise for a full-length book.

The Girl & the Machine: 5. MY FAVORITE story in the whole collection. Interesting and dark and I didn't see the ending coming at all!

Lag: 4. This was pretty rad, a little gruesome, but really makes
Tamara
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I entered the YA Spring Fling because I wanted to win a copy of "Body Electric". I didn't win one, but got a copy of the "Future Collection" instead. Thank you Beth Revis. This doesn't influence my opinion.
This is a collection of well-written short stories which often have a surprising twist at the end. I can recommend this to everyone who liked the "Across the Universe" series and likes short stories.
Elyse
E-Book won a Spring Fling Reads Giveaway.

These were some cool dystopian short stories and they didn't feel lacking in content. They felt whole, though they're short. I've often felt like there needed to be more said in most short stories. But these ended well. I liked them all! They could've been full-length novels but were also fine the way they are! Gotta read more Beth Revis because I LOVED her Across the Universe series!
Claudia
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: stunning-covers
I've discovered Beth Revis first with THE BODY ELECTRIC that was GREAT. I've recently finished the ACROSS THE UNIVERSE trilogy and now I'm on this little precious thing...

Even if these short stories helped uderstanding better The ACROSS THE UNIVERSE and THE BODY ELECTRIC they are not as exciting and interesting... just a complement.
Shanti
Really excellent short fiction. I like seeing my favourite authors explore different places and seeing what they come up with. This was really fun. I think As They Slip Away was my favourite, but I loved the twist in the most precious memory as well.
Jada Hope
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunning

Beth Revis is a storyteller. Each of these stories drew me in, gave me a vested interest in the characters and made me eager to know their outcome.

Worth your time and your almighty dollars. Bravo, Beth.
Chelsea
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So Good

Not all of them are happy stories, but all of them are GOOD stories. For such short things, the characters have so much depth.
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Excellent job Beth!!
Darren Hayward
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Very enjoyAble wish they all had there own novel makes me want to keep reading more of her books well worth the 4 dollars
Jadyn
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Wishing Stars: Space Opera Fairytales
  • Magical Girl Apocalypse, Vol. 3
  • Among The Shadows: 13 Stories of Darkness & Light
  • Turn Here (Short Story)
  • Portrait of a Donor (Starters, #1.75)
  • Penny Dreadfuls: Sensational Tales of Terror (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection)
  • Defy the Dark
  • 1/2 王子 10 (1/2 Prince, #10)
  • 新装版 BLAME!(2)
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 2
  • Dangerous Voices
  • The Wikkeling
  • Lightspeed Magazine, November 2013
  • Five Down
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Vampire Bites: A Taste of the Drake Chronicles (Drake Chronicles, #3.5, #4.5, #0.1, #0.5)
  • Foreverland is Dead (Foreverland, #2)
  • No Intention of Dying (The Internment Chronicles, #1.5)
Beth Revis writes books. She also eats too much chocolate, wishes she could travel more, and prefers puppies to people. Beth lives in rural NC with her boys: one husband, one son, two very large puppies.