Start by marking “Never Waste Tears” as Want to Read:
Never Waste Tears

Never Waste Tears

Each had their own reason to leave everything they knew. The land was free—the true price—was often high, where opportunities and tragedies were in equal abundance. Those who were strong, didn’t waste their tears, but used them wisely to help wash away their grief.
Joined together through friendship and family relations, Rebecca, Nathan, Hannah, Carl, and Sarah tell one sto
Paperback, 1, 406 pages
Published December 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

Chris
A heartwarming story of courage in the face of incredible adversity. Four young people find their way West to the plains in the post-Civil War era. Survival is paramount and this story portrays a realistic view of day to day life on the prairie with its loneliness, hardships, and triumphs.
Beautifully written, it draws you into the era and into the character's lives. It's so hard to imagine the incredible strength of character it must have taken to endure. This book brings the pioneer experience
Liza Shaw
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Never Waste Tears from Gloria Zachgo is set during and after the American Civil War, and follows five people as they travel West to claim free land in Kansas. It starts with Nathan and Rebecca on the day the war started, they are both only children at this point so don't really know each other. Because he is the youngest, Nathan is left to take care of the family business and his mother.

When the war ends and his father comes home a changed man, he was against every thing Nathan had done and made
Gloria Zachgo
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm the author of "Never Waste Tears". I've given it a five star rating because I had so much fun writing it. I hope those who read it get the same amount of enjoyment.
Jan Thorne
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Never Waste Tears. I felt like it was probably an accurate description of the hard life the settlers lived, complete with heartbreak. Because the main characters were the narrators, it was easy for me to become involved in their day-to-day lives. I have read that the author may return to this story and take it further. Count me in!
Georgianna Simpson
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Never Waste Tears is a historical novel by Gloria Zachgo, it takes place in the 1800’s. The first part is just as the announcement of civil war between the North and South is declared. Told in journal format, it describes the times and feelings of several people and their lives.
The story begins in Ohio as civil war is declared. It takes Nathan’s father and two brothers off to war leaving Nathan (13) and his mother to run the family mercantile store by themselves. Nathan learns to haul and lift
WordsAPlenty
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. This book is a B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree.

Never Waste Tears is a historical fiction of the aftermath of the civil war on some families and the move westward for young and old. This story focuses on Nathan, Rebecca, Carl, Hannah and Sarah as they move to Kansas where the land is available for the taking and plentiful. They leave all that they knew and loved behi
Peg
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Never Waste Tears is an extraordinary and well-written historical fiction novel. This tale takes place on the desolate prairies of Kansas during the 1800’s. Gloria Zachgo does a fabulous job grabbing the reader’s attention and placing them in the midst of her character’s lives from the very first page.

Life was harsh in the 1800’s and the early American settlers struggled to survive it. Neighbors and friends were few and far in-between, and Indian raids were a real danger and a constant worry for
Tracy Simmons
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An imagined account of post-civil war settlers in Kansas, Never Waste Tears reads like the real thing and leaves you thinking, yes, those must be exactly the kinds of people who made homes here when Kansas as a state was just beginning. Rebecca and Nathan are newlyweds, and their story begins when they are just children. Nathan stays behind to help his mother mind the store when his father and two older brothers leave to fight. They meet Carl, a war survivor, and his wife Hannah on the wagon tra ...more
Terry
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-author
"Never Waste Tears" is a historical novel which takes place during the beginning of the Civil War in 1860's Kansas.

Written from multiple characters points of view in a diary format, it easily keeps the reader's attention. The author is in control of the dialogue well enough so that it is not confusing, and also does not restrict the personalities of the characters. The characterizations are written expertly enough that you feel what they feel. Individual voices are written skillfully - it starts
Roberta R. Carr
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Never Waste Tears is a historical novel set in post-civil war Kansas. It tells the stories of two families who struggle to rebuild their lives and follow their dreams. The author took a creative approach of using a diary / narrative style to tell the story. She labels the character who is speaking, but it’s almost unnecessary because each voice is so consistently distinct. The unique syntax made me feel like I had time-traveled back to the year 1861, riding in covered wagons, living in dirt-wall ...more
Nancy
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This fine historical fiction book is a page turner. I read the nearly 400 page oversized paperback in 2 days. The story of five people who homesteaded in the Ellsworth, KS area a few years after the Civil War is told in journal style, using the five individual voices. Ms. Zachgo has done a fine job in using this technique as the story flows easily as it moves from one character's voice to another. The story opens in Ohio during the Civil War. As Rebecca and Nathan matrue and fall in love, they m ...more
E
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Never Waste Tears, by Gloria Zachgo, is the story of five people who traveled to Kansas to make a new life after the Civil War. Their story is told alternately in each of their voices and clearly presents their perspectives on their new lives. Just as they each had their own reasons for leaving family and the places they had known as home, they also had hopes and dreams for a new future. Vividly described is the constant hardship they faced and how they dealt with it. The reader follows the well ...more
Nancy
May 25, 2015 added it
I added this book a few days ago but relied on memory for the title and got it wrong! This is a wonderful historical fiction book that is told in the distinct voices of the five main characters. It gives the reader a realistic picture of what homesteading in western Kansas was like in the late 1860's. I found it to be a real paget turner. Although it is nearly 400 pages, I finished reading it in two days. Kudos to author, Gloria Zachgo, for writing such a good story.
Tricia
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I found myself thinking about the characters and what the future held for them. I could not put this book down. It was a great read and I felt like I was right beside them in their struggles and their joys. It took a strong person to be a pioneer on the Kansas prairie. Bravo to author Gloria Zachgo! Excellent work! I can't wait to read your next book!
InD'tale Magazine
Gloria Zachgo has written a well thought-out outline for what could become a wonderful book if it could be more fleshed out.

Read full review in the 2015 April issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Indiebrag
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that NEVER WASTE TEARS by Gloria Zachgo is a B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!

Steph Warren
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

From the start Never Waste Tears reminded me of the Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, not just because of the homesteading aspect of the plot, but also the honest, hardworking children running stores and farms speaking directly to the reader through their own narrative segments.

I loved how we are initially introduced to Rebecca and Nathan only, in alternating slots, then Carl and Han
Connie White
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, romance
A fictional account of pioneer Kansas as recorded through journals of five characters. Excellent representation of the history of the time, and wonderfully written. This is the author's second novel, and I look forward to reading more of her works.
Kathy Inlow
Donna Robertson
Aug 07, 2017
Diane Masuo
Sep 03, 2017
It’s a natural for Gloria Zachgo to write stories with Kansas settings. She grew up on a farm in Lincoln County, where she attended one of the last one-room schoolhouses in the country. After graduating from Brown Mackie Business School, she married her high school sweetheart.
Living out of state for several years, Gloria and her husband moved back to their Kansas roots. While their children were