Start by marking “My Neighbor Seki, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
My Neighbor Seki, Vol. 1

My Neighbor Seki, Vol. 1

(Tonari no Seki-kun #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  936 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
Toshinari Seki takes goofing off to new heights. Every day, on or around his school desk, he masterfully creates his own little worlds of wonder, often hidden to most of his classmates. Unfortunately for Rumi Yokoi, his neighbor at the back of their homeroom, his many games, dioramas, and projects are often way too interesting to ignore; even when they are hurting her grad ...more
Published January 13th 2015 by Vertical Comics (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My Neighbor Seki, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Neighbor Seki, Vol. 1

Sesana
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Intensely silly. Yokoi sits next to Seki at school, and Seki amuses himself by building bizarrely elaborate dioramas on his desk. It can be interesting to see what Seki is getting up to, but it's really one joke told over and over: Seki does something strange, Yokoi gets overinvolved. I feel like this is the kind of thing that I'd like much better if I was reading just one chapter a month, instead of fifteen in one sitting. Still, good for unwinding after a stressful day, and I might save future ...more
Miriam
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
Seki has some super-craftastic skills. And quite an imagination.

MC
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
My Neighbor Seki is a manga series about the "adventures" of a long-suffering girl named Rumi Yokoi. In the midst of her normal life as a (middle-school or high school) student, she has to tolerate the antics of her "neighbor" in the homeroom, Seki.

The thing to understand is that, until the seating is changed, she can't escape Seki. In Japanese schools, they stay in one room throughout the day (other than PE, lunch, or clubs) and the teachers for each subject come to them to conduct classes. Who
Cristina
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
If you haven't read this manga but you have a general idea of what it is about, you'll be probably as impressed as I was when I read it. And yes, I say impressed even though I gave it 3 stars. The author manages to do two great things: one, make Seki endearing, when he doesn't even speak a word in the manga, and two, despite the story's simple background (two characters, Seki and Yokoi, always in the same place -their classroom- while Seki always does anything that crosses his mind to keep himse ...more
Niina
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Pulpettinaapurit kertoo Yokoi-nimisestä tytöstä, jonka vieressä istuva Seki-poika keskittyy oppitunneilla kaikkeen muuhun paitsi opetukseen. Seki on mestari keksimään ajavietettä mm. taittelemalla origameja, pelaamalla gota ja virkkaamalla.

Yokoi ei voi sietää Sekin leväperäisyyttä ja yrittää ohjastaa tätä keskittymään tunnilla - huonoin tuloksin. Yokoi ei itsekään voi keskittyä opettajan puheisiin vaan jää katsomaan mitä kummaa Seki seuraavaksi keksii.

Pulpettinaapurit on mukavan leppoisa manga
Eienblog
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C'est franchement marrant, frais et surprenant
Bogi Takács
Short and immensely, impressively random. Has to be the most offbeat slice of life manga I've ever come across (and yes, that includes Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou). Seki is a schoolboy who makes weird creations in class when he should be studying, also distracting his neighbor Yokoi, the point of view character. That's basically the plot. He builds incredibly weird things and never gets caught.

I found myself thinking "WTF am I reading" "why am I reading this" "should I pick up the NEXT volume??" I'm
Franxine (Shadowtearling)
It was funny and my kind of humor the first 30 pages, but then it kind of took a nosedive. While I like the silly aspect, the lack of plot really made it boring. Yokoi & Seki were interesting characters, but it got repetitive at the end. I may or may not pick up the next volume (but only if I see it discounted somewhere. I don't think $11 for it is all that.. worth it?)
Diddi
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Divertido e interesante,no sabes que es lo próximo que podría pasar
Shea Comfrey
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
My Neighbor Seki chronicles high-schoooler Rumi's attempts to stay focused in class. This is made impossible by the classmate who sits next to her, Seki. Seki is committed to making his own entertainment. His elaborate divertissements escalate throughout the book, becoming increasingly creative and ambitious. It's a fun, silly comic; but without any plot it's hard to see how the rest of the series can maintain the enjoyment of these first few variations on a basic theme.
Sam
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So cute!!
Cindy III
This is a cute manga. Yokoi sits next to Seki, and he is always doing some activity during class that distracts her. While Yokoi does try to resist distraction she gets caught up in Seki's games. My favorite chapters were the ones with shogi, the cactus and toy robots. Honorable mention the chapters with Chess. It has some humor in Yokoi's thoughts and actions on whatever Seki happens to be doing.

Seki is not like other people, he's unique because of what he does during class. It makes me wonder
Michelle
Short and cute vignette stories about Yokoi, a student who's constantly being distracted by her desk-neighbor, Seki. I feel like this would be a good readalike for fans of Azumanga Daioh - it's got that weird, kind of zany sense of humour and it mostly takes place in a school setting.

I liked this, but as many other reviewers have noted, it's quite repetitive (I'm flabbergasted that this series has 9-volumes published tbh). It's a pretty basic formula that's repeated over and over, but I will ad
Matti Karjalainen
No nytpä löytyi manga, joka kutittelee mukavasti myös minun huumorintajuani!

Takuma Morishigen "Pulpettinaapurit 1" (Punainen Jättiläinen, 2016) on absurdia huumoria sisältävä koulukomedia, joka keskittyy Yokoi-nimisen tytön ja hänen vierustoverinsa Sekin edesottamuksiin. Yokoin on vaikea keskittyä opetukseen, kun hänen vieressään istuva poika harrastaa tunnilla mitä eriskummallisimpia pelejä ja leikkejä - ikebanasta minigolfiin ja spiritismiin asti - jotka alkavat elää omaa elämäänsä.

Sekille ei
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Quirky read. I felt bad for poor Yokio, whose studies are disturbed daily by the goofball who sits next to her. Seki's little diversions are too interesting for Yokio to ignore, however, and she spends more time watching Seki and his creations than she spends paying attention in class. I don't think either one of them is going to score very high on their exams....
D.M. Dutcher
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
All of the humor of the anime, with even more content. Not a single objectionable scene or panty shot either. This series is up there with Azumanga Daioh and Barakamon as my favorite slice of life manga.
Jenna
Read up to chapter 73.

Silly and over the top while at the same time still being charming and plausible. It almost makes me want to try something like that, and also reminded me of the Bakuman theme of incorporating "serious humor" into their manga....
Sasha Boersma
It's a bit kooky. About a girl with a very odd in-class neighbour doing odd things at his desk. I'm intrigued how long this can play out in the series.... It's nice to read something so bizarre and cute.
Ashley
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Having watched the anime on Crunchyroll, I was really excited to see there was a graphic novel. After reading the first period, I was a little afraid it would just be the same thing I watched, but there were some new content as well - so I was happy :)
Adan
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poor Yokoi. Cursed to sit next to Seki, a boy constantly goofing off and making her accidentally goof off too. But his goofing is detailed and precise. It's almost like he's doing more work than anybody else in the class...
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
From the cover, the story, and art style, this series sounds adorable. And it was. Looking forward to reading more from this series.
Guguk
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sampai vol.5 yang sudah terbit... Kreatip!!( ≧▽≦)b
Alexis
Of course, I read it in English, and I LOVE Seki-kun. He is just so funny! I mean, the things he does! And NOBODY seems to realize it! Great!
Perla Villa
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-challenge
This seemed funny to me because you just have to wonder how everyone besides her can be so blind. I mean some of the stuff he does is like Really???
Hardian
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply hilarious!
Alethia
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is hilarious. Thank goodness I have volume 2 here as well.
Diego Canales
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I first discovered the book, “My Neighbor Seki”, when i was looking for manga to read at the Berkeley High Library. Have you ever read a manga so stupid yet somewhat engaging at the same time? No, probably not because you’re part of the 95% of the human population that doesn’t even know that Manga and Anime exists. Long story short, manga can either be super calm and cute Japanese graphic novel, or really hardcore, and sometimes sexual action packed Japanese graphic novel. Anywho, reading my nei ...more
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Currently enjoying my recent plunge into Manga, I really enjoyed the first book in this middle-grade Manga series.

One boy and one girl sit next to each other in class. One is obedient and peeved at her next door neighbor's indifference to what is happening around him. While she insists she will be ignoring his antics, building chess games on his desk, varnishing his desk with multi-finishes to make it a mirror ( which delights her); bringing two cats to class to sprawl on his lap and desk, while
Travis
I first stumbled across this as a short anime series on Crunchy Roll, each episode about 8 minutes long I think. I didn't even think about if it was based on a manga, though that is a safe assumption for most anime. But when I saw it pass through the library, it seemed like it might be worth reading. Much of it is familiar from the anime, but there are some new episodes in hear, especially events that happen outside of the classroom. I worried that the static image version wouldn't be as much fu ...more
Ashley
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rumi Yokoi is trying to be a good student, but there's one problem: her neighbor Seki is doing anything but pay attention during class. There are crane wars. A postal service rises and falls. Seki makes up his own rules to play Go, chess, and use a ouija board. Yokoi always tries to apply the rules of reality to what Seki will do next, but just because she knows the rules doesn't mean that's how things will work out. This is a short, silly read, but I loved it as a visit to my childhood and Cart ...more
  • ばらかもん5 [Barakamon 5](デジタル版ガンガンコミックスONLINE)
  • 月刊少女野崎くん 2 [Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 2] (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, #2)
  • Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto, Vol. 1
  • 聲の形 2 [Koe no Katachi 2] (A Silent Voice, #2)
  • 暗殺教室 5 [Ansatsu Kyoushitsu 5] (Assassination Classroom, #5)
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 4 (A Bride's Story, #4)
  • 卒業生 - 冬 - [Sotsugyousei - Fuyu -]
  • Master Keaton, Vol. 1
  • ゆかりズム 1 (Yukarism, #1)
  • What Did You Eat Yesterday?, Volume 1
  • 聖☆おにいさん 1 [Saint Onii-san 1]
  • 四月は君の嘘 1 (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, #1)
  • So Cute It Hurts!!, Vol. 1
  • Honey and Clover, Vol. 8
MORISHIGE Takuma: 森繁拓真

Older sister is the mangaka Akiko Higashimura.

Tonari no Seki-kun (10 books)
  • My Neighbor Seki, Vol. 2