Start by marking “The Science Fiction & Fantasy Quiz Book” as Want to Read:
The Science Fiction & Fantasy Quiz Book

The Science Fiction & Fantasy Quiz Book

What character did Peter Cushing portray in Star Wars: A New Hope? Who was Arwen Evenstar's mother? According to Isaac Asimov, what is third law of robotics? Which barbarian hero carried a sword called 'Graywand'?

Do you dare face the ultimate test of science fiction and fantasy knowledge? This fun-filled book offers the chance to prove your expertise, with questions rangin
Published September 22nd 2015 by Osprey Publishing (first published September 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Science Fiction & Fantasy Quiz Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science Fiction & Fantasy Quiz Book

Scarlet Cameo
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I really enjoy made this quiz. Was fun and really quick. Even more, my to-read, to-watch, to-learn list get even bigger after read this.

Maybe isn't the deepest book in the world but, for a fan, this will be and awesome gitf.

A digital copy of this book was provided by NetGalley
Christine
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: ARC via Netgalley and Osprey publishing in exchange for an honest review.

Okay, I don’t usually review quiz books because, well, you don’t usually read them straight though do you? But, hey this one looked interesting and I was auto-approved on Netgalley.

Let me just say, straight off the bat, that any book that has Red Dwarf questions in it is an automatic winner.

So really, what more do you need to know?

The book is divided, as many such books are, into Easy, Medium, and Hard diffi
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I don't usually review quiz books because do you actually read them? Not from A-Z or in one sitting at least. However, when I was browsing Netgalley I was intrigued by this particular one and secretly I also wanted to know where I stood on my science fiction and fantasy trivia.

The questions are divided into three categories, ranging from easy to hard. And although the questions in general indeed seemed harder in the more difficult categ
Glire
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
This is, literally, The Science-Fiction and Fantasy Quiz Book. You have a bunch of questions about every geeky thing you can think of. And nothing more. I kept expecting to find some kind of explanation, something besides that one page of answers with 4) a and 51) d. Just more.

My bad.

I had never read a quiz book and was expecting something else. Still, it is entertaining.
Kathryn Patterson
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"The Science-Fiction & Fantasy Quiz Book" by Joseph McCullough is a fun and entertaining book to read. Mr. McCullough covers everything from television shows, to movies, to comic books, to short stories, to novels. In the first few sections alone, I saw questions about "Star Wars", "Star Trek", "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", "Game of Thrones", and the old "Battlestar Galactica".

I could easily see a bunch of geeks sitting around a table, drinking home-brewed beer, and using this book to play a
Bekah
I love Science-Fiction and Fantasy. I even took a course dedicated these two expansive genres in college. So when I saw this on NetGalley, it was a no-brainer to check it out, if for no other reason than to take the quizzes myself and see how I stacked up. It was loads of fun. Split up into Easy, Medium & Hard, it also has varying test formats (multiple choice, true or false, matching & short answer) and covers books, television, and films. A perfect gift for a fan, but also a fun book t ...more
Ralph Blackburn
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Science Fiction & Fantasy Quiz Book by Joseph A. McCullough- This slim volume of questions from the Science Fiction and Fantasy realm can be very entertaining, if that is something you like. There are over a hundred questions; true/false, multiple choice, etc.. with answers easy to access. It can be an added challenge jumping back and forth from question to answer, but the way it is set up becomes easier as you go through the quizzes. Also there are different levels of difficulty: Easy, ...more
Paul Harmon
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this From Netgalley

Ive Never reviewed a quiz book before but as I received this from netgalley for a review I will give it a shot.
It's Awesome!...There reviewed :)
The book is divided into three levels of difficulty and are up to date questions about every possible area of geeky goodness you can imagine and covers not just the basics idea of Sci-Fi and fantasy but delves into great books and video games and anime and everything else I can think of.

There are Multiple choice, True-False,
Paul Franco
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Books, movies, TV shows, video games, comic books, and others I have no idea about are all included here. There’s such a wide variety of genres—I knew a lot more science fiction than fantasy, for example—that there’s no possible way anyone should be near perfect (and if you are, go take a walk or see a football game). I don’t watch Game of Thrones, so I didn’t even attempt the “match character to actor” game; same with Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and Lost. There are three levels: easy, mediu ...more
Magda Żmijan
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, reviewed, 2015
How would you like to check your knowledge about sci-fi and fantasy movies, books, TV shows, graphic novels? Now you have an occasion to do so. It's quite fun :D.

Book is split to 3 parts - easy, medium and hard questions. The truth is if a you know the answer, the "hard" questions are easy and if you don't - you won't answer the "easy" question anyway, so in my opinion it should more likely be split to the general questions and the detailed ones.

The book quiz isn't something you read in one sitt
Solfreedom
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Netgalley and Osprey publishing, in exchange for my honest review. Thanks for all the fun times!
If you are a fan of SCI-FI or Fantasy, try your knowledge here. I thought I knew some stuff, these quizzes made me realize, I only knew so little. I loved stumping my family, we had game show night and used these as the questions. It was a blast!!
There are different levels of difficulties. The quizzes are up to date with the genres and has an interactive answer page, that you
Ron
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
In The Science Fiction & Fantasy Quiz Book, Joseph McCullough provided 104 quizzes grouped by degrees of difficulty. There are true and false, multiple choice, short answer and matching quizzes. The subjects covered by the quizzes range from famous authors, television actors matched with shows, matching authors with imaginary books that feature in their fiction, film directors, anime, and many other obscurities of SF&F geekdom. My son and I went through the quizzes together which added t ...more
Courtney
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was actually quite fun. I discovered I am a little more of a geek than I thought. This seemed to be more heavily saturated with Science Fiction than Fantasy though. I would have preferred more Fantasy questions and less Star Trek/Star Wars, but that is just the opinion of one geek. I loved that the digital book had links to the answers. It made checking/cheating a lot easier. It had a mix of multiple choice, true/false, matching, and short answer. It was very comprehensive in its content, f ...more
amomentsilence
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to amomentsilence by: Netgalley
What Sci Fi and Fantasy nerd wouldn't want something like this to have at any social gathering of like-minded individuals? I'm planning on buying this the instant I have some cash. This book was great.

Be advised... it's a TRIVIA BOOK. Don't expect an info-guide on the ins and outs of SCIFI&FANTASY now. You're not gonna get it. Think of this as a Q&A for those social gatherings when the inevitable question is asked, "Now what?" Whip this baby out and you'll have an hour or more of geeky,
Nichole
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This is the first quiz book that I have read for review. Since it is about my favorite genres, I couldn't resist. I thought I would have done better, but I did not do well at all!! I really enjoyed taking the quizzes, there were questions about some of my favorites. George R. R. Martin, Robert Jordan, and of course Tolkien. I think the part I failed the worst on were questions about Star Trek and some of the comics. Overa ...more
Nia Ireland
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book really highlighted some grey areas in my knowledge though and reminded me that I really do need to sit down and get round to watching Battlestar Galactica at last, and that I need to rewatch everything Joss Whedon ever made.

I can imagine this book being a perfect Christmas gift or brilliant on road trips with similarly nerdy friends. The questions cover a whole range of TV shows, films, books, comics etc. and the answers vary between True/False and short sentences.

One thing that I woul
Maggie Hesseling
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
It feels a little weird reviewing a quiz book, but I have to say this one is quite amazing. I got through the quiz's quite quickly and really enjoyed the questions as well as the set up of them. I thought I would do quite poorly (I've read a little in the genre and watch a bit of tv) but I was pleasantly surprised about the questions. There was everything from Star Trek to Buffy to Battleship Galactica. And even in the easy questions there were some I found quite difficult.

There's a little of e
Daniel Kukwa
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-sf-fantasy
It does what it says on the cover, and it does it extremely well. Nothing remarkable or groundbreaking, but it's geek-cred testing goodness to the maximum. And the cover itself is pure pulp SF-style gorgeousness.
Daniel
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review originally published in The Empire Strikes Back?"). Both of these are listed in the "hard" category, which I question. Given that these are written for sci-fi fans, these seem pretty easy. But two questions out of 104 quizzes seems like a pretty good record.

I can imagine that it's difficult to put together a quiz book like this, to get the right amount of variety to really test the modern fan. Although I wasn't interested in anything to do with a few subjects, I understand their plac
Montzalee Wittmann
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Science Fiction and Fantasy Quiz Book is what has been missing in my sci-fi library! It is every sci-fi nerds dream book. It stretches the mind to remember things from videos, movie series, movies, comics, cartoons, and books. It has easy, medium, and hard questions. There are multiple choice, matching, short answer, true or false, and others. It is so much fun to dig up those memories. I wanted to call my friends and ask them for help when I got stuck. It would be a perfect book for get tog ...more
Theediscerning
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A most successful little book – no editorialising, just questions, that do suitably progress from the easy to the specialist. You might prefer the very jumbled, random style here – classic novels up against the latest manga or US TV – or you might wish for more categorisation, but what you get is a healthy dose of trivia puzzling. The answers too often devolve into a list of ABCDBCCA etc, rather than let you find things out quickly, and it needs a question master or a lot of writing paper to get ...more
Charlotte West
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, arc
**I received a copy of this book as an ARC from NetGalley and Osprey Press**

Ever think: man, I wish I could set up the perfect trivia night with my friends? Or even, ugh, these trivia questions at the bar are getting so stale! Well look no further! Either as a great gift to your local trivia host or to yourself for a fun night with friends, this geeky book has it all! Some great true or false questions, multiple choice, and amazing questions you would never think about. You'll surprise yourself
D.M.
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this quiz book. Easy to use with a good variety of questions. There's something for every type of geek. I especially liked the fact there is an Anita Blake question just to top it off.
I have to admit I'm not very good at quizzes or general knowledge but this book was fun and made me feel better when my other half didn't get all the questions right either (the pro in my family).
Light hearted entertainment and could be used when meeting up with friends/pub quiz 5* recommend

*An advanced cop
D
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow, anyone who loves science fiction and fantasy will love this well informed text. Any teacher who wanted to find out if a student actually read the text, well here is a tool for you. This book is full of interesting trivia and questions that may stump any enthusiast. A fun book to have on the shelf, stump friends or even that person who always seems to know it all!
The book is set up so that you have several ways to view, check out favorite titles or just work your way through it. Definitely a
Arlene Arredondo
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is like geek heaven!
Great way to spend the evening and make a family night out of it (or a date night).
I got to bond with my teens battling with which had more knowledge of Sci-Fi. It is a very fun compilation of quizzes from movies, books, series, and so on.
I can imagine the gang from TBBT (The Big Bang Theory) playing this game.
Note: I received a copy free from Netgalley for review purposes.
Tabby Shiflett
4.5 Stars
A perfect gift for any dedicated Sci-fi/fantasy fan! This quiz book includes books, movies, television shows, and games in different difficulty levels. Almost every cult classic has at least one question. The question types mix true or false, multiple choice, and open-ended questions. What can I say, it's fun. Geeky, but fun. This book would be great for trivia night. I suggest the print copy so you can flip back and forth easily from the quizzes to the answers.

Net Galley Feedback
Alisha Webster
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book really made family night a blast. There are questions from all fandoms in it. We have a very diverse family when it comes to our fandoms, so there was a question for everyone. What I didn't like was that the answer key was in the back. If you have the ebook it's tough to keep flipping back and forth. If you're thinking about buying this, get it in paperback.
Denise
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I loved reading these quizzes! What fun! Science Fiction readers will love this book. Old and new questions ranging from easy to difficult. If you think you know a lot about science fiction, you should check this book out!
Dawn
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-hands, 4-store
This is a great book with questions covering all areas of the genre, from books and comics to tv and movies to video games. It's especially fun if you have a bunch of geeks around and want to do a bit of a quiz night kind of thing, or to randomly waste some time standing in line at a convention.
Angela
Fun and informative quiz book. This is a great book for any fans of sci-fi and fantasy, and as an added bonus I've discovered some books and films that I hadn't heard of.