Start by marking “The Sound of Diamonds (Steadfast Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sound of Diamonds (Steadfast Love, #1)

The Sound of Diamonds

(Steadfast Love #1)

In Reformation-era England, a converted rogue wants to restore his honor at whatever cost. Running from a tortured past, Dirk Godfrey knows he has only one chance at redemption.
An independent Catholic maiden seeking refuge in the Low Countries finds herself at the center of the Iconoclastic Fury. Jaded by tragedy, Gwyneth's only hope of getting home is to trust the man she
Published June 15th 2015 by WhiteFire Publishing

Start your review of The Sound of Diamonds (Steadfast Love, #1)
Rachelle Cobb
Jan 07, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: own-read, kindle-read
I'm not about to review my own book, but I thought I'd share a favorite quote instead: "Though the heart may be cracked wide, grace can still seep in."

Pretty much sums up the whole series. <3
Shantelle
I've been a long time excitedly awaiting to read Rachelle Rea's debut novel, The Sound of Diamonds. That gorgeous title. That stunning cover. And Christian, medieval/renaissance historical! I'm delighted to say I was not disappointed! *smiles*

Book One of the STEADFAST LOVE series starts off in a nun's cell, where a privileged young woman named Gwyneth is caught in a brutal conflict between rioting Protestants and outlawed Catholics. Her life is narrowly saved by Devon Godfrey, a man she wants no
Hannah
If I didn't know this was a debut, I certainly wouldn't suspect it from the writing. She's packed in plenty of action and characters that fairly spring off the pages. The happenings are set in a solid history, and each event is interesting. I've read of William of Orange before and knew vaguely about the Iconoclastic fury, but I really enjoyed this fictional perspective on the times.

The plotting is excellent. Dirk is accused of murdering Gwyneth's parents in cold blood, and has fled, becoming an
Dawn
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Readers of Jody Hedlund's new medieval YA series and Melanie Dickerson's a fairytale-based YA novels will love Rachelle Rea's The Sound of Diamonds."
--Dawn Crandall, award winning author of The Hesitant Heiress, The Bound Heart and The Captive Imposter
Miranda A. Uyeh
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is truly a delightful book! Beautifully written with a wit and charm that sways a reader with each word and every swipe of page. There wasn't a thing I didn't like in this story. There’s a softness to Rea’s writing that pulls you in with every scene. I found myself looking forward to how the story would end, and it didn’t disappoint at all.

Rea’s voice is fresh and, a wonderful addition to the world of inspirational historical romance. This charming debut has put Rea at the top of my list. N
Tessa Hall
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“In her eloquently-written debut novel, Rachelle Rea brings a story of grief and restoration, heartache and redemption. Dirk’s love for Gwyn kept me flipping the pages, and I found it to be the perfect illustration of God’s adoration for His children: Gentle and unconditional, despite our anger and misjudgments. This well-researched historical novel accurately portrays the language of the sixteenth century, enticing the reader to be swept away on a journey from the very first page … one that the ...more
Mikayla
This was awesome. I could just leave my review at that because it pretty much sums up the whole book for me.

This book has been one of my favorites for years, so when I heard Rachelle was publishing it, I was ecstatic and even more so when she said I could read the revised version early.

This book will make you laugh, cry, and leave you thinking about the message in it. Rachelle has done a masterful job making her characters believable and lovable.

I cannot wait to see the rest of the books in t
Seema Khan
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing

"God does not desire us to come to Him with our minds so much as He is interested in our hearts.”

I’m posting today about Rachelle Rea Cobb’s first instalment in the Steadfast Love series, The Sound of Diamonds, the first book in the series, an inspirational historical romance set during the 16th century!

Her only chance of getting home is trusting the man she hates.

Tarissa
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"The Sound of Diamonds" is the story of a young man, a supposed rascal, attempting to redeem himself and his past actions...

"The Sound of Diamonds" is the story of a Catholic maiden, tucked away in a convent, far from harm's reach...

During the Reformation, religious quarrels are on the tip of every man's tongue. The Catholics and Protestants are in the rage of battle during the 1560s. The Spanish King Philip II cannot control the revolution, and neither can the English Queen Elizabeth I. So the
Age Appropriate For: 15 and up for romance and mild violence
Best for Ages: 15 and up

I don’t think I have ever been so embarrassed about a book review. Seriously, I was one of the first people to read this book. I read it before a publisher looked at it. I cheered this book on and pre-ordered a copy. I was part of the original blog tour and the Thunderclap campaign. Why has it taken me so long to write a review? Yes, this is embarrassing, especially since it was such a good book.

Rachelle Rea Cobb
Victoria Minks
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars! :)

When I started this I was very curious to see how the plot revolved around the time period and social situations. I wasn't disappointed-- the history in it is excellent and I really appreciated the unique time period! As a Baptist, my heroes of the faith differ from the ones mentioned in the book, although the ones featured are definitely critical leaders in the Protestant Reformation, and as such very relevant to the story. I found it interesting to read fiction set in the Reformat
Serethiel ☽ ✨
NOTE: I received a free ebook copy of The Sound of Diamonds from the author, in exchange for my honest review. Read my full review here: http://livkfisher.blogspot.com/2017/0....

I love a good rogue romance. Unfortunately, most of those romances I hold so dear rarely come true, so to put it (*coughs* I'm looking at you, Guy and Marian). But this... My dear friends, this was so good.

Gwyneth Barrington is on the path to becoming a nun. Living in a convent in Leiden, the Netherlands, she suffers fro
Amanda Tero
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first chapter started in excitement. I mean, how more exciting can you start than a murderer rescuing you from what you thought was your sanctuary--a place that had now become the rage of madmen seeking vengeance by the sword? The excitement continues--albeit slightly unbelievably in several nigh-death situations in only a few days.

Dirk's desire to change his former ways to please his Savior intrigued me. His realization that he was just as wicked as his enemy before Christ's light...how vit
Jillian
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Fantastic book! Although I don't normally read books set before the 18th century, Rachelle Rea's debut novel not only met my expectations but also surpassed them. Set in Europe during the Reformation, Gwyneth is a Catholic maiden seeking refuge at a convent in the Low Countries. When she finds herself amidst the violent Iconoclastic Fury, she has no choice but to escape with Dirk, the man she saw kill her parents.

Rachelle's beautiful prose captured my attention from the first p
Rosie
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Wowza!
Are you seeking a historical romance novel to send you back in time? A book to make you sigh and smile? The Sound of Diamonds is the book for you! This novel is a beautiful debut from the lovely Rachelle Rea and it is sure to please historical fans.

I was sucked into the story after only a few pages. The character voices of Dirk and Gwyneth are distinct and carry you through the story well. There were a couple times I wasn't paying one-hundred percent attention and might have gotten a littl
Brittany
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story immediately grabbed my interest, as it is packed with danger and high emotions right from the beginning. It was an exciting, action-packed, and romantic read from the first page right to the last.

It is written in first person and alternates the chapters between the perspectives of the two main characters, Dirk and Gwyneth. I really liked this approach and enjoyed knowing what was going on in their minds as the story progressed. It made it very interesting to see things through their e
Savanna Kaiser
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-kindle
This story really caught me by surprise – a really good surprise. Between the pretty cover, intriguing plot, and all the positive feedback I’d already seen, I was eager to read The Sound of Diamonds for myself. And yet it still delivered much more than I even expected. The adventure was more. The spiritual theme was more. The romance was so much more. Let me tell you, it was a pure delight to read.

It was a different era than I’m used to, but what I learned was downright fascinating. The union of
Meghan Gorecki
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really can't claim to have many favorite, truly legendary fictional love stories. I'd have to really think hard on it to come up with five, actually. But, ya'll--Gwyneth and Dirk are definitely a favorite.
When the story opens, Gwenyth's hatred and resentment for Dirk is shown through incredible, increasing tension, sharp dialogue that leaves an impression, to say the least. She sees him merely as a criminal--but is he?
Dear Dirk; what a hero this fictional man is. He's not a Romeo type, nor a g
Sara Goff
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This young writer has a promising career as a novelist ahead of her! Beside being a great storyteller and knowing her subject, in this case the Reformation, Rachelle Rea is a stunning writer. As a reader, I'm not so plot focused as I am interested in good writing, even if the book is not my usual genre. Rea puts her creative energy into the language as she carefully crafts each and every sentence. This attention to the flow of words makes The Sound of Diamonds a beautiful story.

Another strength
Heather
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I trully enjoyed this adventure filled novel that masterfully weaved both mystery & faith into a seamless union. Well padded with historical grace, and a rather unseemly romance between several characters, it will keep you on the edge of your seat.

I'm excited to read the next book in the series!
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Her only chance of getting home is trusting the man she hates.
With the protestant Elizabeth on the throne of England and her family in shambles, Catholic maiden Gwyneth seeks refuge in the Low Countries of Holland, hoping to soothe her aching soul. But when the Iconoclastic Fury descends and bloodshed overtakes her haven, she has no choice but to trust the rogue who arrives, promising to see her safely home to her uncle's castle. She doesn't dare to trust him...and yet doesn'
C.B. Cook
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a great historical romance, and I have to say, while I might not have fallen as much for Dirk, Cade and Ian... <3 I always tend to fall for the secondary characters. XD This wasn't a time period that I was very familiar with, but I enjoyed reading about it, and it was a very exciting read. The beginning was a bit slow, but after that it picked up, and kept me turning pages. Also, I love the acknowledgements!

*I received this book in a giveaway. All opinions are my own, and I was not requ
Rachael
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*Note: This post may contain spoilers (depending on what you consider spoilers). If you don’t want to know any of the suspenseful content or the romantic elements between Gwyn and a certain someone, then scroll to the end.*
---------------------------
Some people have their favorite books.

Some have their favorite authors.

The ones who really love to read have their favorite publishers.

Then there are people like me… People who, not only love all of the above, but go as far as to have their favorite
Rissi
Shelves: 2015, review
Discovering blogging friends are living their dreams through publishing is one of the most exciting things the book blogging community can be a part of. I’ve “known” at least three bloggers who are pursing that exact dream, and have been able to play a small part in helping two of them launch their novels in the world. One of those talented souls is Rachelle Rea. Her debut, The Sound of Diamonds is now officially out in the world and today, I’d like to talk about that novel. It follows the story ...more
Miranda Atchley
The Sound of Diamonds
by Rachelle Rea Cobb

In 1566, the Dutch Low Countries are in turmoil. Protestants are determined to ruin the images they believe Catholics hold as idols. When Lady Gwyneth Barrington's mother and father were murdered, her uncle sent her to the Low Countries to live in a convent, believing she would be safe away from England where Catholicism has been outlawed. As the story beings, Gwyneth and her friends Margried and Sister Agnes are being abducted by three men after the conv
Esther Filbrun
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it

There were several things I really liked about this book. First, I loved the historical value. This book had a lot of different details about the 16th century and what it was like to live there and I loved reading about the Iconoclastic Fury—how that affected Holland, how it affected England, what kinds of people lived through it, etc. This book is absolutely fascinating when it comes to this sort of stuff!

I wear glasses, and the main character, Gwyneth, wears glasses as well. I hadn’t realised

Emily
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
In The Sound of Diamonds by Rachelle Rea, Catholic Gwyn flees to a convent in Holland from England to escape her parents’ murderer. Aside from the violent Dutch revolution against the Catholic Church, Gwyn only has one problem—the man she accused of killing her parents followed her in order “to bring her safely back to England.”

My first thought when I saw the cover of The Sound of Diamonds was that it was a fantasy story. It is definitely not a fantasy story. Instead, Rachelle Rea wrote a romanc
Marisa
Jan 07, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: historical, christian
Set during Reformation-era England, The Sound of Diamonds first caught my attention with its unique storyline and cast of characters. Blended with her beautiful writing style, the storyline of The Sound of Diamonds brings readers directly into the fascinating and frightening time period of Catholic persecution. I am Catholic, and while Christian fiction is my primary and favorite genre to read, at times I am frustrated by the lack of Catholicism in this genre. Rea’s choice to include Catholicism ...more
Mindy
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My favorite genre is Christian historical fiction, and I also really love medieval fiction. I had known about The Sound of Diamonds for a month or so before I finally bought it on the Kindle store. One chapter into the story and my thoughts were, "What took me so long to get this book?!" I was completely entranced with the book and the characters from chapter one. What was refreshing for me was how the author shows the point of view of both Gwyn and Dirk throughout the story. I haven't read that ...more
Raechel Lenore
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
3.5
I've seen lots of friends read this book and recommend it, and I always thought "I want to read that...someday", but hadn't had the chance till now. With the birthday-celebration of "The Sound of Silver" I was given the opportunity to read and review "The Sound of Diamonds" which I accepted of course. :)

The time period this book is set in is very richly depicted, and feels very accurate and real. When you read it, you really are in that time, that setting.
Gwyneth and Dirk, the main characte
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 19, 2015 12:08PM

• Hail Warning (Hail, #2)
  • Operation Hail Storm (Hail, #1)
  • Hail Strike (Hail #3)
Rachelle is a freelance editor, an author of six books, and voracious reader. If you're looking for her, check the bookstore. In 2016, she married a man with the same name as her fictional hero and they live happily ever after in a fixer-upper by the sea. She's a fan of chai and lemonade (though definitely not together). Find her at https://RachelleReaCobb.com ...more

Steadfast Love (3 books)
  • The Sound of Silver (Steadfast Love #2)
  • The Sound of Emeralds (Steadfast Love, #3)