Start by marking “Hold Me (Cyclone, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hold Me (Cyclone, #2)

Hold Me

(Cyclone #2)

Listening Length: 8 hours and 35 minutes

Jay na Thalang is a demanding, driven genius. He doesn’t know how to stop or even slow down. The instant he lays eyes on Maria Lopez, he knows that she is a sexy distraction he can’t afford. He’s done his best to keep her at arm’s length, and he’s succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.

Maria has always been cautious. Now that her once-t
Published October 25th 2016

Start your review of Hold Me (Cyclone, #2)
chan ☆
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
don't normally write full reviews anymore but since the top review for this book is frankly... GROSS, i felt compelled to put my thoughts out there

this is a fantastic enemies to lovers story with a trans latina heroine & a chinese/thai american bisexual hero. and no, contrary to that top reviewer's feelings, that's not "too many diverse identities."

i adored the intersectionality of the characters in this story, both the main characters and the side characters. and i liked that there was a really
Bibi
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: inter-racial
**Spoiler Alert**

Edit (05/23/2020): I've since had dialogues with members of the LGBT community who were offended by my insensitive comments and even though the original content of the review remains, I'd like to add that I heard and UNDERSTAND your complaints and would like to apologise for the hurt I inadvertently caused you. I'll do better.

Original review
My love for Courtney Milan is irrevocable. Her ability to incorporate math and science into the romance genre is simply genius.

I have read
Melanie
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melanie by: Maëlys

1.) Trade Me ★★★

i loved this so much

Rep : Latinx trans woman MC, Chinese/Thai American bisexual MC (whose mother is Muslim & father is Buddhist)

Trigger and content warnings: anxiety, panic attacks, death of a sibling, suicide (ty, Alienor!)

Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Blog | Spotify | Twitch

This was our June 2020 pick for the Dragons and Tea Book Club! 🐉☕
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

I want to preface this review with this : marginalized readers, you are enough. Your existence is enough of a reason for you to be portrayed in any work of fiction. You are enough, damn it. I'm starting with this because I've made the mistake of reading reviews and I'm appalled that "Courtney Milan checks too many diversity boxes" (whatever that means) would be the extent of many people's first reaction to the wonderful diverse cast she offers us in Hold Me. I'm just... shaking my head, frowning
XxTainaxX Curvy and Nerdy
While I respect all the time and energy that went into writing this well researched title, I am sad to say that this wasn't my cuppa. I felt like I was missing the point at times. The heroes, Maria and Jay, are extremely intelligent and while I expected it to have a nerdy vibe (I dig the nerdisms usually), I was utterly bored for a little over 50% of the book. Then as they figured out who the other was, it finally sparked my interest. After that it fluctuated between the good parts (when they we ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*2.5 stars*

Okay, I have a LOT of thoughts and feelings about this book.

Courtney Milan is one of my favorite authors, and I try to read everything that she writes. Hold Me was my first contemporary romance from her, and my lukewarm take on it was... unexpected. No, I shouldn't say that I feel lukewarm about it because I'm bursting with opinions! Honestly, this review is a little bit of expectations vs. reality, because I love Courtney Milan so much. I'm devastated that I didn't love this one.

Riley
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
the enemies to lovers in this was so good!!
I also loved all the representation. The main character is a mexican american trans woman and her love interest is thai & chinese (also queer, it's stated that he was in relationships with both men and women)

the plot in the was so fun! I loved seeing how they connected so well anonymously online, but in real life hated each others guts. it definietly gave me You've Got Mail vibes
Nenia ⭐️ Queen of Awkward ⭐️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I read this book for the Unapologetic Romance Readers' New Years 2017 Reading Challenge. For more info about what this is, click here.

HOLD ME isn't just the smartest romance you'll read; it's also an ode to the Bay Area. Like a modern-day PRIDE AND PREJUDICE set in Berkeley, CA, HOLD ME is about two characters who initially dislike each other intensely because of a misunderstanding and/or misplaced sense of pride, only to realize that t
Whitney Atkinson
Seeing Courtney Milan's list of books in the back of this one was the only buoy I had against the sadness of finishing this. I LOVE the messages in Courtney Milan books, and this was no exception.

Before I sing its praises, I want to note a few things that aren't my favorite:
1. The character dialogue often was unrealistic and cheesy. It ranged from small things like the main character calling her brother "little brother" through text messages (??? which i hate. i don't text my older sister like
SmartBitches
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

Hold Me is both very ambitious and very uneven. We here at the Bitchery are unabashed Courtney Milan fans, to the point where I cannot possibly read a Milan book without both bias in its favor and very high expectations. As with all Milan books, I squeed repeatedly while reading, but the overall reading experience was not as enjoyable as I hoped it would be.

I love the inclusivity of the book. It incorporates characters of different ethnicities, genders,
Wendy'sThoughts
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Courney Milan Fans, Romance
4 Complexity Stars
* * * 1/2 Spoiler Free
Leave it to Courtney Milan to write a romance of this complexity...She has the insight and ability; she has a cover which makes you wonder about him...and now there is more.....

Eighteen months ago, Maria Lopez felt an unexpected spark with Jay, a hot, tattooed, motorcycle-riding bad boy who checked off every item on her fantasy list. But “too good to be true” never ends well. So when he asked for her number, she walked away.

When she runs into him again, sh
Jade
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reread: 2017
I still feel the same way I felt when I read it the first time! But I have been reading other people's reviews, and I've been seeing a lot of people saying that they felt like there was"too much diversity". And to that I say fuck off. I'm sorry we are force fed this false narrative that white, straight, and cis are the norm but that's just not true. We are a multitude of identities and I think it is amazing to see as many as we can portrayed in as many mediums as we can.

Some people
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Full review originally posted on my blog: Word Wonders

Content warnings: Mentions of past transmisia, anxiety, panic attacks.

I’ve been dying to read this book ever since I finished the first one, Trade Me, 3 months ago, 3 MONTHS. So imagine how excited I was when I finally could pick it up and read it, especially how much good I’d heard about it from my friends. And it blew me away. Seriously. I am now ruined for any and all romance books til the end of times because of how good this
Jacob Proffitt
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steamy, romance
I really, really want to coward out of reviewing this one like I did the first in the series. I'm a fan of Courtney Milan and like how she isn't afraid to dial things up in her stories. With this book, she not only goes contemporary, but her characters could easily be molded into progressive icons with all the diversity in play (both racial and sexual). Jay is Asian and bisexual. Maria is Hispanic and transgendered. Add some personal trauma to both (spiritual and emotional traumas) and you have ...more
Sherwood Smith
Here’s the thing. Historical romances with ‘history lite’ settings and mostly-modern heroines who are there for the awesome gowns, the glittering dukes, the castles and tonnish life, are A-okay. Readers like them, I think, in the same way it’s fun to cosplay historical clothes and settings without having to deal with the baggage of reality.

My problem is, I pretty much can’t read these because I have been reading history for over fifty years, so the finessing of language and customs, etc, keep po
Erika
So I've been in a book slump for about a year and Courtney Milan's Hold Me has managed to finally get me out of it. I'm over here grinning like a loon because this book has made me super happy.

There was nerdery galore, unstereotypical POCs, sarcasm and snark... just all kinds of the things that made this book a delight to read.

I'll be back soon with a better review.
Veronique
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, r2016, stars-4-0
After much waiting, I finally got my hands on the sequel of Trade Me.

My first thought was regarding Maria's portrayal. Would Milan treat her in a different way to her other heroines? The answer is no. Her trans background is exactly that, background, and she is not defined by it, which I really liked, nor is Jay by his bi-sexuality. That is so refreshing! No, the issue here is the assumed correlation between appearance and intelligence.

Milan is excellent at characterisation, creating interesting
G.
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5/5
I appreciate what Milan is doing with her contempory titles, but I also feel like I'm missing part of Maria and Jay's story. This would have worked much better if we got to see the beginning of their online friendship. Jay's real life assholery would've still been abominable, but Maria's decision to give him a chance in real life would've felt less forced because it's all based on their online interactions as Em and Actual Physicist.
Pretty good, definitely interesting, but not great.

The jo
Romie
this book had so much heart. I loved seeing Jay and Maria's relationship develop from hate-at-first-sight to maybe-you're-my-enough. I also loved how queer and diverse this book was while being a m/f romance, because Maria is a trans latinx woman, and Jay is half-Thai/Chinese and bisexual, and just yes to normalising queer people being in a m/f relationship, JUST YES.
Jay and Maria have such a deep trust in the other, Jay understands Maria and her insecurities and he just trusts her and has faith
Vaneesha
Jan 26, 2017 marked it as dnf
Shelves: woohoo-diversity
I can't bring myself to rate this book for several reasons.

1. It was so gassed up, I was SO FREAKING HYPED FOR THIS RELEASE, and the fact that its release date was pushed back so many times was so FRUSTRATING but oddly enough, also TANTALIZING??!??!
2. THE DIVERSITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLESS THE DIVERSITY (and the openmindedness ... OH AND THE TACT, topics were RESPECTFULLY approached).

... OK wait by several reasons I just mean two reasons, I guess?

Basically, I'm not rating this because I thought it
Robyn
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Honestly, this is just what romance novels should be. I loved this one, especially the way our characters came together after gradually falling for each other online. (Well, I would, since that's how I met my husband. Coincidentally read this on our wedding anniversary which gave me all the warm fuzzies.)
majo
The hate-to-love in this book was amazing.
Amanda
I probably trust Courtney Milan more so than any other author I follow. And yet, the beginning of Hold Me left me feeling quite uneasy. The bulk of my concern centered on the very sexist comments spoken and/or thoughts by the hero of the heroine and how the hell I was going to reconcile my decidedly bad first impression of Jay with the idea of him ultimately ending up with Maria. It seemed an impossible task. Then, Maria and Jay exchange a series of messages, as their online counterparts Em and ...more
Girl
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
I sort of feel like I should preface my review with a "it's not the book, it's me: it's been the worst time in my life, and I just don't have it in me to read this kind of a romance" -- but then I remember that I've actually mainlined Connie Willis's Crosstalk very recently, and loved it despite its issues. So, no. The disclaimer should be "I usually love Courtney Milan's books, but this one doesn't quite work for me".

I mean, it's very well written, (mostly) well paced, it tugs at all the right
Lindsay
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A complex contemporary romance that celebrates abject scientific geekery between delightful characters.

Maria Lopez (Tina's roommate from Trade Me) is a transgender latina with insecurity issues and a scientific blog where she explores catastrophes. Jay na Thalang is a tenure-track brilliant physical chemist who has issues of his own. They've been corresponding anonymously for a couple of years around the content of Maria's blog and have quietly become very important to each other. However, when
Ashley
Read this last year and just now realized I forgot to add it. Classic Courtney Milan, would recommend. I continue to wait interminably for her next one. I'm here for you, Courtney. I will give you my moneys, Courtney.
Maëlys
I am beyond excited to be rereading this for the Dragons & Tea Bookclub during the month of June ☕🌈

✨ 5 / 5 ✨

“Fuck you”, I say calmly. “Fuck your apology. And fuck your holier-than-thou fake British accent.”

Hold me, my heart is soft and I need more.

I picked up this book on a whim after seeing the lovely Amina talk about it on twitter. I had no expectations and oh boy, did I love every second of this.

The premise sounded amazing: two people who can’t stand each other in the real world have slow
Lila
3,5

description

If I have to name my 5 favorite romance movies, You've Got Mail would probably have a place on that list. It has Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, hate2love romance and unreserved love for books. The reason I mention it here is because Hold Me is basically re-skin version of YGM. This is more modern because mail is changed with chat apps and slicker devices you can carry in your pocket, and instead of default white hetero couple we have a diverse cast of characters, but core of that romance? The ide
Mónica BQ
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded up!

Writing a review on this one later, same as with the first book of the series, because I'm pretty busy right now. But I loved this one!

On a tiny but important note: I am two for two with romance books that DON'T end in marriage or children. THANK YOU BOOK GOODS. THANK YOU. Also, of course, thank you Courtney Milan!

• Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • Girl Gone Viral (Modern Love, #2)
  • Once Ghosted, Twice Shy (Reluctant Royals, #2.5)
  • Treasure
  • Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals, #2.6)
  • A Prince on Paper (Reluctant Royals, #3)
  • The A.I. Who Loved Me
  • Rafe: A Buff Male Nanny (Loose Ends #1)
  • Let It Shine
  • That Kind of Guy (Ravenswood, #3)
  • A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2)
  • Guarding Temptation
  • Take a Hint, Dani Brown (The Brown Sisters, #2)
  • Hamilton's Battalion: A Trio of Romances
  • Boyfriend Material
  • A Girl Like Her (Ravenswood, #1)
  • Two Rogues Make a Right (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #3)
  • A Duke in Disguise (Regency Imposters, #2)
Courtney Milan’s books have received starred reviews in Publishers Weekly and Booklist. She is a New York Times and a USA Today Bestseller and a RITA® winner.

Courtney lives in the Rocky Mountains with her husband, an exceptionally perfect dog, and an attack cat.

Before she started writing historical romance, Courtney got a graduate degree in theoretical physical chemistry from UC Berkeley. After th

Cyclone (6 books)
  • Trade Me (Cyclone, #1)
  • The Year of the Crocodile (Cyclone, #2.5)
  • Find Me (Cyclone, #3)
  • Keep Me (Cyclone, #4)
  • Show Me (Cyclone, #5)

Articles featuring this book

It's no secret that mainstream romances have traditionally skewed very straight. But the romance genre is slowly becoming more inclusive of...
“It’s one thing to flirt with someone you’ve never met. But these? These are actual feelings. I’m not sure what they mean or what to do with them.” 2 likes
“Don’t worry about failing. Worry about failing wrongly.” 0 likes