Start by marking “UX Strategy: How to Devise Innovative Digital Products That People Want” as Want to Read:
UX Strategy: How to Devise Innovative Digital Products That People Want

Read Book

UX Strategy: How to Devise Innovative Digital Products That People Want

How do you bridge the large knowledge gap between user experience design and business strategy? This practical book introduces lightweight strategy tools and techniques that will help both your design team and your client come to a shared understanding of the digital product you want to build.

With this step-by-step guide, you'll learn how to achieve online success by
Paperback, First, 312 pages
Published June 1st 2015 by O'Reilly Media (first published October 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about UX Strategy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about UX Strategy

Start your review of UX Strategy: How to Devise Innovative Digital Products That People Want
Sharon Bautista
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Kudos to Levy for tackling the challenge of defining what constitutes "UX strategy." Every organization I've been a part of--agency- and client-side--has recognized the need for UX strategy (without necessarily calling it that) but executed with pain, confusion, and questionable results. The most valuable parts of Levy's discussion are the parts that are almost-said: that UX strategy might be the result of failures of other, older disciplines (business strategy, brand, UX design proper) and that ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been a UX Designer for three years now. As I've mastered things like usability, web best practices, information architecture, and more, I've felt like something is still missing from my projects.

Enter UX Strategy. This book covers lots of great techniques for "doing" UX Strategy work, and through those techniques, I've gotten a great understanding of what it is. The author, Jaime Levy, does a great job of giving examples and walking the reader through sample work -- she is a brilliant
Julia Kulgavchuk
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: design
The book ends with four long interviews with people identifying as UX strategists. It’s easily the best part of the book, a plaster cast of the field anno 2015.

Unfortunately, there is no escape of the terminological debate on UX design, interaction design, product design, business strategy; not even in this my review. What I see in this book is downplaying “design”, which I’d say is inherently strategic and doesn’t need the label “strategic” slapped on it. In this relatively new field
Iulian Corunga
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux
This book is a result of Jamie's experience in the UX field for so many years. She covered UX discipline at a high-level with valuable arguments and also brought detailed-oriented examples.

PROS:
1. Real life examples and arguments that can be applied, tested and developed.
2. Strong guidelines for those who are interested following UX career.
3. Step by step approach in applying different methodologies.

CONS:
1. Some arguments left unclear.
2. The images are too small to be read.
3. The product
Alex
Oct 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I realize this is still a draft, but I think there is something fundamentally flawed with a book about understanding users that has no apparent idea who the target readership is. Current draft fluctuates between gloss-overs of contemporary business books (mostly a mix of Valley and business jargon), and frankly silly things like explaining how to conduct an internet search. Scattershot, and needs a lot of work.
Ron Bronson
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Super useful as both a reference and educational tool. Well needed for digital strategists and people who want to make the web work better.
Graham Herrli
May 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: design-related
This book suffers from not having a clear target audience.

At times it seems to be aimed toward UX practitioners wanting to learn about business strategy. These sections were useful to me. For example, one that I was able to put into practice right away explained how to adapt a customer development tool called a "funnel matrix" to UX context, using it to track levels of user engagement with the rows and various aspects of the customer experience provided by different internal teams with the
Jose Papo
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
UX Strategy is defined by the author as the intersection of user experience design and business strategy. He shows how UX Strategy is critical for our time and it's a must have for new products, services and solutions. He gives techniques related to Value Proposition, Competitive Research, Value Innovation, Prototyping, Guerrilla User Research and designing for conversion. A great book for everyone in search for Customer-oriented solutions.
Melanie Richards
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design-ux, 2017
It's funny to see reviews saying the interviews at the end are the best part of the book, because I found them to be the least useful (likely because I don't aim to be a strategist, I just want to incorporate these techniques in the work I already do). That's humans for ya.

Anyway, reading this book gave me clear action items I plan to apply to two upcoming projects.
Anna Epishcheva
Very practical book with a lot of ideas to re-use
Vanessa Princessa
I read this book thanks to Blinkist:

The key message in this book:

Actionable advice:

Imagine a future innovation by asking yourself a few simple questions.

Coming up with a groundbreaking business idea is no
Parry
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Wasn't sure if I was going to learn much after the first chapter, as I've been reading a lot of UX books lately and thought this was just going to be a cursory overview of all the steps involved in design. And it was an overview without getting into too much of the details. But what I did learn was how to really think about the business aspect. Other books told me how to go through the motions of the competitive analysis but this book actually tells you how to think about the competitors and ...more
Glenn Burnside
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wish there more UX books aimed at business apps and Intra-company work processes. So much of the material is about costumer-facing work, and the constraints on internal use apps are so different. So much of my work is about enhancing or editing existing business processes, and so much UX material is about making something new or experimental from scratch. This book covers the latter well, the former hardly at all. I recommend this book as a smart add-on the Lean Startup, if you're thinking ...more
Peter
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I maybe confused what the term "UX strategy" means. This book is more a game plan or methodology on how to get started designing / creating an innovative product. More useful for small companies or startups working on a complete product than somebody working inside an established product on a feature or product part. It covers a few specific methods (like user interviews, guerilla research and funnel matrix) and describes their connections to each other and meaning. The strength of the book is ...more
Daniel
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read to learn more about the "strategy" part that basically happens before execution. "UX strategy" is a bit misleading in the sense that any strategy should address the user experience, which is noted in the end of the book.

However, the clear instructions on several activities such as guerilla user testing, competitive analysis and research all while referencing a real world project ("Airbnb for weddings") is what made this book worth 5 stars to me. I already recommended it to colleagues
Supriya Raghavendra
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is for the most part a compilation of existing knowledge on all the processes that precede the task of actually getting down to design something. It serves as a quick primer to systematically nail down the problem to be solved and its validated solution space.

It was somewhat disappointing to read this book as someone with moderate experience in UX design because it did not offer any mind-blowing revelations. Although, I liked that it reminded me of the importance of deliberating on
Paulo Peres
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux
Read the tools, not the concept
The book itself haunted me as a reminder of the Lean Startup concepts. However, I finished the book with a feeling that something was missing. I suppose the name itself UX Strategy, I do not know if it reflects entirely the author's proposal, even understanding its intentions. The combination of the two concepts makes sense, but the name applied etymologically I think causes a slight confusion. There are good tips and good notes throughout the book.
David Shinabarger
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A staple if you're interested in user-centric design and research.

I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in design at all.

Fairly startup focused and not as much as implementing UX design into existing older school approaches with designer focused design.

Only wish was that there was more content on how to conduct research - specifically as far as figuring out who from existing users for an existing platform to engage with, what kinds of questions to ask, etc..
Maria
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mba-courses
Great application techniques and a lot of examples. Michael Porter's ideas dominate, which I really liked - him being one of my personal favourite. By melding business strategy and user-experience design, you can create products that soar above the competition. This process begins with an approach to business that clearly defines your competitive advantage and results in a product that’s both uniquely desirable and flawlessly designed.
Carlos
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design
Overall, it's a very good introduction to the fascinating UX strategy field. Jamie told a lot of personal stories as well as real-life experiences and they really paid off in the long run.
Highly recommended for anyone who already has a certain degree of understanding UX design and human-centred design process.
oskar ekman
Condensed insights from other books but nothing new

If you have Blank and/or Ries most of what this book states is already familiar to you. The book takes a more practical approach to these topics, but in new ideas and concepts it is lacking. The basic premise of UX Strategy as a concept separate from Product or Customer Development does not hold up and is confusing to me.
Nikhil Sethi
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
There's definitely a lot of useful information in here, and it's a great way to think about both UX and business overall. It's focused on starting new companies/products, but it has great lessons for any product designer.

However, I found the writing style would sometimes go into too much details about things that are obvious. Good for a total beginner but a slog to get through the book.
Arnold Petersen
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are many books on design thinking, critical thinking, UX processes and beast practices however very few talks about holistic approach towards the design strategy and that's where I think this book shines. It gives you a proper roadmap and an aerial view of your entire product design and solid strategy. I recommend this book for any UX practitioner and UX team lead.
Missy Maloney
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent introduction to UX Design

I am new at this field but the author makes the topic sound exciting, rich and fulfilling. He gives many details as well as overarching themes and practical suggestions. It is very engaging and I am interested now in learning more.
Colbys Dovi
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book covers the process of designing a user-centered product, with some examples.
The book ends with interviews of other UX Strategist answering some really interesting questions and talking about their experiences.
If you are an Experience Designer or a product person, you should read it.
Renáta-Adrienn
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
David Cusack
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has some great ideas for conduction user-experience research.
Shashank
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
more towards strategy startups & value proposition for a product design.
Mart
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
What it is, is mostly a literature review type of collection of UX related ideas and concepts. Few original approaches are not well substantiated.
Leonardo Antonio
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ui-ux
It is basically a good guide about how to use Strategic thinking, benchmarking and the Lean Startup with UX Design.

A pretty good book.

• Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
  • The Design of Everyday Things
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Articulating Design Decisions: Communicate with Stakeholders, Keep Your Sanity, and Deliver the Best User Experience
  • Interviewing Users: How to Uncover Compelling Insights
  • Mapping Experiences: A Complete Guide to Creating Value Through Journeys, Blueprints, and Diagrams
  • The User Experience Team of One: A Research and Design Survival Guide
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Org Design for Design Orgs: Building and Managing In-House Design Teams
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • The Worry-Free Mind
  • Designing Products People Love: How Great Designers Create Successful Products

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jaime Levy is an author, college professor and User Experience consultant based in Los Angeles, California. Her book "UX Strategy: How to Devise Innovative Digital Products that People Want" was just published by O'Reilly Media. Jaime heads a consultancy called JLR Interactive that caters to startups and enterprises, helping them transform their business concepts into innovative and scalable ...more
“UX strategy is the process that should be started first, before the design or development of a digital product begins. It’s the vision of a solution that needs to be validated with real potential customers to prove that it’s desired in the marketplace. Although UX design encompasses numerous details such as visual design, content messaging, and how easy it is for a user to accomplish a task, UX strategy is the “Big Picture.” It is the high-level plan to achieve one or more business goals under conditions of uncertainty.” 1 likes
“If you are doing best practices, you are not innovating.” 1 likes