Start by marking “Hiding Places” as Want to Read:

Hiding Places

Family means safety. Family means protection. Until it doesn't.

Eleven-year-old Kate Whitby leads an invisible life, the youngest member of her odd family. They live in their historic small-town hotel, where she is an expert at keeping everyone’s secrets: her sister’s a thief, her great-grandmother isn’t as crazy as people think, her mother lives in the past, and her belove
Published September 8th 2015 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Hiding Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hiding Places

Judy Collins
A special thank you to Thomas Nelson-Fiction and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Erin Healy delivers captivating and adventurous HIDING PLACES, a world of intrigue, suspense, and mystery surround the multi-layered story and a Nancy Drew type young girl, named Kate – as she tries to make sense of this world of crazy adults, her family history, danger, secrets, and treasures.

Set in a resort mountain town of Evergreen, Colorado-- Kat, eleven-years-old seems to be the protect
Debbie
4 stars!
I really liked this book a lot! There was a lot going on. A gang member gets shot, a pawn broker gets murdered and his store gets vandalized, a wanderer wrecks his motorcycle into a cougar and a resort lodge that has been in a family for decades becomes the focal point where all of the action from the whole book comes together.

In a way, it's kind of funny, but while your reading it, it's kinda serious. It's definitely thriller and will definitely keep you on the edge of your seat. There
Amy
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hiding Places is the first book I have read by Erin Healy. After reading this one, I will definitely be picking up more by her. It did start off a little slow at first but it quickly picked up and I didn't want to put it down.
Great story.
4 stars.
Brittany
Oct 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Hiding Places was an interesting book. Although I thought that the way the story was put together was creative, it moved very slowly for me. There are many characters, coming from a wide variety of situations, and the reader follows these various men, women, and even a young girl to discover what is going on and how everything converges together.

I enjoyed the history of the hotel that is eventually revealed. I think that was my favorite part of the book for me. I felt sorry for Kate and the way
Rachael
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I'd never have finished this read if not for Kate. I didn't care for any of the gang members, violence, and murders.( This is a clean read, tho, so no worries on the language scenes, etc. ) However, Kate is a girl with little love from her family, and who has a knack for spying. Following her adventures and caring spirit pulled me through to the end. Kate is just plain fun, and she seems to care about everyone around her while no one cares about her.

This story falls flat at the end for me. It co
Galaxy Adventurer
Sep 25, 2015 marked it as not-going-to-finish
Ok so what I have read of this book has been interesting. But I can't seem to focus on it. I will finish it but right now I have no motivation to. So this is my review of what I have read of the book.

The main character in Hiding Places is Kate, an 11 year old girl, and she knows secrets about her family that nobody else knows. She is good at hiding, keeping secrets and spying. Then there is Charlie Fuse. When Charlie gets into some trouble with the gang he is a part of he runs away, and that's w
Eden
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hiding Places was by far so much better than the first. The plot, characters, and description all were complex and marvelously woven together. Even though parts of the story line at first seemed like they wouldn't be able to connect, Erin Healy did a great job twisting the people and plots together.
Andi
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Erin created a multifaceted story with real characters and a believable story. My heart went out to Kate who kept all the secrets for the family. There was a lot going on throughout the book, and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.
Highly recommended!

I received this book from Thomas Nelson in exchange for an honest review, I received no compensation for a favorable review.
Raechel
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
3.5 Stars

This was a pretty good book all considering. It wasn't really "Christian" though - I mean, it was clean, nothing graphic, immoral, evil, but there was no God. :( Review to come.
Janka H.
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
11-year-old Kate is the keeper of her family. Loving as only a child can love those who doesnt know and/or want to love her, she tries to keep their secrets, undo their wrongdoings and protect their happiness. But the storm of events is coming into Harrison Lodge and this storm will re-establish their family hotel and relationships. For better or for worse?
20-year old (or so) Charlie Fuse is an outcast and on the run from the murder accusations. And the father of the dead child and his gangster
Jasmine
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
All choices have consequences, sometimes dangerous ones...

I'm going to be honest right off, I really had a hard time connecting with the characters and the story for the first half of the book and as a consequence it took me a LONG time to read it. The second half of Hiding Places, however, really took off and did quite a bit to make up for the slower start. The final showdown in the lodge was tense, dramatic, chilling, and kept me glued to the page desperate to find out if Kate and her family w
Dawn Traylor
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it

Erin Healy is an amazing writer who draws you into the story! Hiding Places is another one of those stories that makes you feel like you are right there with the star characters. This story is one that reminds you what true family is and in the purity of the love of a child.
Libby
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
No sex or language though there is a murder. Erin Healy is one of my favorite authors but this wasn't my favorite of hers. It wasn't bad but there wasn't her usual supernatural element. It was eluded to early on but , sadly, wasn't developed.
Erich
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an exciting book, with a credible plot and well developed characters.

It spans several generations.

Some of the reviews mention religion. I don't know how the book is marketed. There is some discussion of God, but I don't recall any mention of organized religion. Which I appreciate.
Ruth
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The fifth star is for the amazing audio production of this book. It is the best audiobook I’ve ever listened to!
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was ok. I enjoyed the second half of the book it was faster paced and overall more useful to the storyline.
Tracy Frenette
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. So many cool characters and Kate was an amazing kid. Protecting the family she loved at 11 years old.
Angie Fehl
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
While I've heard Erin Healy's books discussed around the book blogosphere a fair amount, this is my first try at experiencing her writing. I was a little hesitant getting into this one after reading the back cover because I couldn't help thinking wow, that sounds like a lot trying to get crammed into one storyline. Sure enough, by novel's end I still felt that way. It wasn't an absolutely terrible novel necessarily, the writing style itself is solid. I think it was more just everything Healy tri ...more
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book
Karen Wiser
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hiding Places by Erin Healy is a fast paced suspense novel weaving a story of courage, devotion, love and hope. Another astonishing piece of work from this gifted author!
Hiding Places by Erin Healy combines the determination of a father to avenge his son's death, the battle of a struggling homeless man's inner turmoil to find belonging, and the strong willed determination of a young girl to do what families are supposed to do...protect one another.

I absolutely love this newly released book! Actu
Kara Peck
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of suspense novels. That being said, I tend to find a mystery a little underwhelming and a bit hard to get into. However, once I have devoted myself to the book I am usually happy I stuck it out.
Hiding Places was just such a book for me. I found myself curious, but not enough to really dig in and devour it. Couple that with the extremely busy week I picked to start the book, and I am sure that contributed to my slow progress. Fast forward a few days to the weekend. That allowed me
MrsK Books
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you are young. If you are someone who is living in the shadows of adults, then your story might be that which saves many lives. Kate is a darling character. She is gifted with a wisdom into the true character of those in her life. She is brave and courageous. She adores her Grandfather (Grandy) and her family is precious beyond their unique quirks. Before her story is finished, you will discover that Kate's passion towards those in need will not be in vain.
"Can you believe this old beast stil
Kelly Bridgewater
Sep 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
I have read a number of Erin Healy’s first half of her books. I’m really not a fan of her writing. She is placed under the suspense genre, but I really don’t think she fits there. She fits more under a contemporary novel with a little bit of dramatic flair, which could fit with some suspense, but not really. In Healy’s latest book, Hiding Places, I stand by my earlier assumption.
Healy does have a good command on the use of prose and dialogue. There were moments of a lot of prose, but for the mo
Debi Lantzer
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
The story line of this book is set in a resort mountain town of Evergreen, Colorado. Kate Whidby is an 11 year-old protector of the family and dreams of becoming a spy. She is caught in the middle of all her family members and grandparents. Her family operates The Harrison Lodge, a historic mountain resort, and has done so for many generations. She keeps her family members' secrets from others and the day after she’s witnessed her grandfather arguing with his best friend, the man is murdered.

At
Callie Domingues
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Book

Eleven year old Kate is a secret super spy. Her mission is to escape the eyes of her family as she meanders around The Harrison Lodge. Her spying has allowed her to monitor one sister’s thievery from the petty cash draw, allowed her to find her other sister’s marijuana stash, and help her grandfather keep his candy bar sneaking a secret.

Her grandmother is the head of the lodge and she rules it with an iron fist, nothing escapes her eye. Kate’s mom is a wounded heart that is forever waiti
Meagan Myhren-bennett
By Erin Healy

Kate Whitby was at that age where she was in between - still a child and on the verge of becoming a young woman. A time when her character and person were becoming unique and knowable to those closest to her. Unfortunately those closest to her often didn't see her or notice who she was becoming. But this was all about to change - and the change was one that would forever alter her family.

Over the course of a few days a series of events in Evergreen, Colorado, and nearby
Jill
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book started very slowly for me. I realized I was on chapter seven and still had no idea what was going on. I usually don't read the description on the back of a book prior to beginning it because sometimes they give away so much information that it takes away some of the surprise. I felt like I was in danger of not being able to finish the book, so I read the back to get an overview of the book. I was really glad I did because the rest of the book went much more quickly than the first seve ...more
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
There are many types of family in Hiding Places. A street family. A gang family. A dysfunctional family. A devastated family. Long-lost family. There are also many places to hide. Under a bridge. In a secret passage. Behind a romance novel. Beneath a facade. In plain sight. These recurring themes nicely set the framework for the suspense as well as the psychology behind it. This psychological facet to the suspense gave it a feel reminiscent of Diane Chamberlain's novels, and I really couldn't pu ...more
Sara Wise
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
** “What makes memories unbearable one day and life-giving the next?” **

Erin Healy’s latest novel, “Hiding Places,” packs a powerful punch in a story that takes place just over a few days near Denver. The plot is partially described on the book’s jacket as:

“The Harrison Lodge is full of hiding places where young Kate can discover all the secrets no one wants her to know. … But suddenly the stakes are raised; her grandfather’s best friend is murdered the day after Kate heard the two men arguing.
circumspect4
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is set in Colorado and mainly involves the story of 11-year-old Kate and her family, Great Grandma Pearl, Gran and Grandy, her mother, Janet, and two older sisters, Alyssa and Olivia. Kate lives in a house that was renovated into a hotel and restaurant. Kate's family runs the hotel. This story also weaves into another type of family, a street family. Runaways that are living under a bridge that have formed a "family" bond, Merridew, the patriarch, Eve, a few others, and most notably, C ...more
Contemporary Chri...: Weekly Christmas Giveaways 1 7 Dec 03, 2015 09:39AM
  • Unfolding
  • Rising Darkness (Finding Sanctuary #3)
  • Catching Heat (Cold Case Justice, #3)
  • Desperate Measures (Port Aster Secrets, #3)
  • The Murders at Astaire Castle (Mac Faraday Mystery, #5)
  • Web of Deceit (Agents Under Fire #1)
  • Portrait of Vengeance (Gwen Marcey #4)
  • Fifth Column (The Blitz Detective #2)
  • Lethal Harvest (Bioethics, #1)
  • Justice Betrayed (Memphis Cold Case #3)
  • Fuse of Armageddon
  • The Scroll
  • Eye of the Sword (The Angelaeon Circle, #2)
  • Seeds of Evidence
  • Exile (Guy Erma and the Son of Empire, #3)
  • Beyond Justice (Hidden Justice, #1)
  • Missing (The Nikki Boyd Files, #2)
  • The Kill Fee (Poppy Denby Investigates, #2)
Erin Healy is a supernatural-suspense novelist and an award-winning fiction editor. She began working with Ted Dekker in 2002 and edited twelve of his heart-pounding stories before their collaboration on KISS, the first novel to seat her on "the other side of the desk."

Erin is the owner of WordWright Editorial Services, a consulting firm specializing in fiction book development. She lives with her