Start by marking “The Grouchy Ladybug” as Want to Read:
The Grouchy Ladybug

The Grouchy Ladybug

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  27,635 Ratings  ·  832 Reviews
From Eric Carle, New York Times bestselling author of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and From Head to Toe, comes the classic story of one very grouchy ladybug. Eric Carle's bright artwork and signature style will charm both ardent fans and new readers alike.

As children follow the Grouchy Ladybug on her journey, they will learn the important concepts of time, size, and shape,
Published October 11th 1996 by HarperCollins (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Grouchy Ladybug, please sign up.

Rachelle Boisjoli I picked up the message that it's ok to pick fights and to bluff/boast your way out of a fight. I really hated this book. Adults might find it funny,…moreI picked up the message that it's ok to pick fights and to bluff/boast your way out of a fight. I really hated this book. Adults might find it funny, but I don't find it appropriate for children.(less)
Benjamin Our one year old son did not have the attention span for it. He listened to it, but only because he was captive at the dining table :) When we tried…moreOur one year old son did not have the attention span for it. He listened to it, but only because he was captive at the dining table :) When we tried to have him sit on our laps and listen to it, he got too squirmy.(less)

Archit Ojha
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How can such a small, little book teach such valuable lessons like friendship, manners and many others. Well, it really does.
Ronyell
Ladybug

After I had read “The Very Hungry Caterpillar,” I really wanted to read more books by Eric Carle. “The Grouchy Ladybug” is definitely no exception in reading some of Eric Carle’s great works! “The Grouchy Ladybug” is a book by Eric Carle and it is about how a grouchy ladybug tries to pick a fight with the other animals no matter how large they are. “The Grouchy Ladybug” is truly one of the most hilarious books about the consequences of bullying that every child will definitely enjoy!

The book sta
Mandy
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute book!
Jem
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty sweet book about a pretty pugnacious ladybug. He better not try to fight me or I'll knock his chiclets out! If he stepped to me, first I'd be like "What?!?!":

description

Then I'd be all, "Fool, you really wanna end up like this chump? I'll beat my own dad, I don't give a damn!":

description

Then I'd freakin' eat you and all that would be left is some green gunk cuz I eat fools like you for breakfast:

Angela Blount
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books

Charming in execution, rhythmic in wording, and valuable in its many potential lessons. This may be Carle's best children's book.

A ladybug with an over-sized ego (and an attitude problem to match) faces off against increasingly larger opponents. His threats are met calmly by a colorful array of animals, each with their own unique traits and obvious advantages over the mouthy little aggressor. Each creature is politely but firmly prepared to stand up for itself against this pint-sized bully.

In t
Bookishrealm
Hahaha! I mean I'm glad she learned her lesson about picking on people no matter what size they are big or small. I really loved the artwork. I mean it's Eric Carle so I definitely enjoy it. I think this was a lesson about being nice to people no matter who or what they are because you never know what could happen.
Yashpreet
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
During the bad tempered ladybird fly towards breakfast he started an argument with an friendly ladybird who he propositioned to an fight but decided not to because he was bigger than the polite ladybird. The bad tempered ladybird decided to find someone big enough to fight. Finally when we propositioned the whale slapped the ladybird and he realised the consequences to his actions and he stopped being bad tempered.

I think this is a good book in the way it’s written with its repetitive streak. T
Priscilla
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, repatation, manner
I really like how the book is illustrated. The Grouchy Ladybug is one of the most funniest books I have ever read. there are so many concept being taught in this story. children will definitely enjoy this book.
Christina Starks
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eric Carle is a very famous children’s literature author. His illustrations are so powerful and creative. The Grouchy Ladybug is also known as The Bad-Tempered Ladybird. Throughout this story a very stubborn ladybug challenges another ladybug to fight for some aphids. The stubborn ladybug says (a repeated phrase throughout the whole book) that he isn’t big enough. For the remainder of the book, the ladybug goes around finding other creatures to challenge and continues to say that they aren’t big ...more
Shawn
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
After reading quite a few books by this author, this is the one for me that really misses the mark. The grouchy lady bug throughout the story goes and tries to pick a fight with various other creatures. Although she never fights, I don't believe that this is the right subject for this age group. The word fight is repeated on nearly every page, so it really sticks into a child's mind. I loved the illustrations but I would not read this book out loud to a child.
One more, please!
Grouchy is definitely the choice word to describe this feisty ladybug. The Grouchy Ladybug by Carle lives up to the standard. The story is wonderful and amusing, the illustrations are delightful. I love that the ladybug meets other animals and they appear in size order and with the proper names. There is a lot of room to have different discussions with kids which is always a bonus.
Jodie
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is five o’clock in the morning, and a friendly ladybug and a bad tempered one both see a leaf with aphids on it and decide they want it for breakfast. The friendly ladybird tries to be polite and suggests sharing the aphids; however, the bad tempered one does not want to do this and suggests a fight. Although the friendly ladybird agrees, the bad tempered ladybird flies off in a rage, saying he wants to fight somebody bigger. An hour later it meets a wasp, followed by a stag beetle, followed ...more
Katee
Summary: This book is similar to "The Very Hungry Caterpillar." It starts out with a grouchy lady bug meeting a friendly ladybug. The grouchy ladybug wants to eat all the aphids and the friendly lady bug suggests that they share. But that's not good enough for the grouchy ladybug so he asks "...do you want me to fight you for them?" The other ladybug said "If you insist." The grouchy ladybug then says "Oh, you're not big enough for me to fight." So he flew away. Starting at six o' clock the grou ...more
James Byrne
The bad tempered ladybird by Eric Carle
This a lovely illustrated book that is aimed at young children between 4-6 I would suggest. I enjoyed the story as I feel it related to children adapting to sharing in school life. The story itself begins with a nice friendly ladybird that is eating aphids on a leaf only to be joined by an angry ladybird that refuses to share the aphids. The angry ladybird then goes on an angry rampage who has heated exchanges with every animal he meets. He declares that e
Kayo C
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math-books
I used The Grouchy Ladybug in my class when discussing time. The book has a mini-clock in the corner of each page and talks about what the lady bug did at that time. I started out the activity by reading the page aloud and then assigning a student to show the time on a large manipulate clock and asked the other kids to give a thumbs up/down if they agreed with the answer. I then showed them the picture and we checked the answer with what was in the book. The modifications I would make for next t ...more
Kavitha Suhumar
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is about a friendly ladybird who is eating and is joined by a bad tempered ladybird who also wants to eat but refuses to share the food with the friendly ladybird. The bad tempered ladybird starts to pick a fight with every animal he meets. The story goes on where he meets lots of different animals to fight but he feels that they are not big enough to fight him. As the story progresses the animals get bigger and bigger-and as the animals get bigger the pages in the book also get bigge ...more
Sally Todd
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The bad tempered ladybird is a book full of colourful pictures and light hearted humour. The story goes in-depth at exploring important concepts such as different sizes and time. The story tells of a bad-tempered lady bird who picks fights with various animals – no matter how big or small they may be. However soon the lady bird realises that sometimes it is better being in a good mood! The story teaches children many things such as animals names, the times of the day and the different emotions t ...more
Rob
Apr 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-holden
Because "The Cowardly, Passive-Aggressive Ladybug" wasn't nearly as catchy a title...

A pretty accurate depiction of what's going on in the minds of those cage-rattling fear-mongers out there, this is a great book for kids. Read on as the Grouchy Ladybug's escalating threats of violence are met by the other animals that stand tall against her idle threats; read on as she backs down with false bravado every time. Deep down, s/he really just needs the same thing as the rest of us though. A good mea
Vincent
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When i was growing up my mom read this book to me hundreds of times and her nor i ever got bored of it in fact she reads it to my baby brother and he absolutely loves this book, people say that this might say "kids should want to fight when there in a bad mood" and all i get from that is really? this sends an absolutely different message then that, the grouchy ladybug flies around because he's mean/grouchy but he ends up right back in the same spot he began in. the message was plain and clear "f ...more
Jocelin
As always with an Eric Carle book the illustrations really pop. The story of a rude, grouchy ladybug is interesting but, it got a little monotonous. It was a little outrageous to think that a little ladybug was trying to be a big bully. You see the ladybug trying to pick a fight with animals much larger than the ladybug.
This is a good book for children to read about being unreasonable, unfriendly, and grouchy. It also teaches about being polite and how it makes those around you appreciate it.
Alison Steffel
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book with a solid morality lesson to young children. It features a ladybug who antagonizes other animals until it gets to a whale which sends him back where he started from. The ladybug then decides to be nice to everyone after a female ladybug shows him some compassion. This book has great illustrations by Eric Carle and students will enjoy the lovely colorful elements. I would use this in a classroom during and close to summertime when ladybugs are out and when teaching about in ...more
Lorna Bellingham
A story follows a ladybird with a bad attitude that wants a fight with somebody. The book has large pictures but quite small text - it would be too small for children to read in a group such as in circle/story time. The ladybird meets lots of animals at different times of the day but decides that each one is not big enough to fight him. Good story for learning animal names, times of the day and emotion. The composition of the pages makes it very easy to follow the pattern of the story.
Kat
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
Basic Plot: A grouchy ladybug learns to be happy.

This book cracked me up. After trying to bully another ladybug, this ladybug goes around trying to pick fights with various animals and then gets whacked by a whale's tail, after which it learns to be satisfied with what it gets. The first thing that cracked me up was getting to read, "wanna fight?" on just about every page. The second was the whale bit. This was a really fun one to read with my son.
Jon Gustafson
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This wonderful book teaches students about the interaction of aphids, lady bugs, and leaves. It could be used to introduce topics like sharing, ecology, and sequential time (6 a.m., 7 a.m... etc.). The full-page illustrations are captivating and support the text perfectly. The vocabulary might be a little hard for 1st-2nd graders, but could be built up over the course of a few readings.
Dolly
Apr 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story to read aloud. The mean ladybug is so grouchy, it's fun to play the character's part. The story is progressive, as are many of Mr. Carle's books and there's an element of time passage in the book, so kids can learn the various hours of the day by looking at the clock. Vibrant colors and fun creatures enhance the story as well. We've read this one a few times.
Elizabeth Smitheram
This book has fantastic colors. It is about a grouchy ladybug who wants to fight all sorts of animals-- big and small. She gets put in her place by the end of the book and becomes polite. This is a great story for kids to read and they will think it's funny.
Mónica Cordero Thomson
No sólo disfrute este libro la primera vez que lo leí. también lo hice cuando un poquitín más mayor se lo leía a mi hermano pequeño. Para mi todo un clásico que todo niño y toda niña debería leer. Un cuento como lo que tiene que ser, una historia con moraleja.
Annie
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This book is much funnier than I think it was intended to be. I can't stop laughing when I read this one.
ABC
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-kids
I read this to my son when he was a toddler and I didn't like it that much. But now that he is older, I think it really speaks to the "boy" in him. Want to fight?
Cai
Ross found this quite long for a children's book. Yet again interesting illustrations.

V @ 4 months
  • Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday
  • The Giant Carrot
  • A Color of His Own
  • If You Find a Rock
  • Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?
  • Somewhere in the World Right Now
  • Pigs Will Be Pigs: Fun with Math and Money
  • Giraffes Can't Dance
  • A Remainder of One
  • Waiting for Wings
  • Verdi
  • How Big Is a Foot?
  • Over in the Meadow
  • Sir Cumference and the First Round Table (A Math Adventure)
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more
More about Eric Carle...