Start by marking “Clipped Wings: The Rise and Fall of the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASPS) of World War II” as Want to Read:

During World War II, all branches of the military had women's auxiliaries. Only the Women Airforce Service Pilot (WASP) program, however, was comprised entirely of women who flew dangerous missions more commonly associated with and desired by men.
Within military hierarchies, the World War II pilot was projected as the most dashing and desirable of servicemen. "Flyboys" w
Published February 1st 2001 by New York University Press (first published February 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Clipped Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clipped Wings

Start your review of Clipped Wings: The Rise and Fall of the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASPS) of World War II
Jessica Belmont
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Nonfiction is not my usual read. However, Clipped Wings by Molly Merryman sounded like an incredible story. It has been a long time since I learned about this period of time, so learning more about WASP was intriguing.

Nonfiction can be a little dry at times, but Molly Merryman managed to keep me interested. The subject was fascinating. All the preconceived notions of male supremacy and how women in WASP were extraordinary and still doubted.

I think this is an important book. Politics still have a
Serena
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it
While it was at times rather dry, the story this book told was fascinating, and one I wish I'd been given inklings of any of the times I was studying the time period surrounding World War II in school, at any level.

I wish I could be surprised by the view it gave me of the politics in my country, but sadly, as horrible as some of the things it told me were . . . they were all too easy to believe.

The final chapter started out a little sketchy, but sticking with it explained why it veered suddenly
Valena Arguello
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a great book about a group of women doing what at the time was inconceivable and their fight for proper recognition. It's full of real interviews and documents of their stories. ...more
John Dorcey
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well researched study of the early disbandment of the WASP.
Aug 03, 2018