Start by marking “Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #1)

Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining

(The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes #1)

Abby Hayes is a fun and quirky fifth grader looking to find her own "super-special" talent. Squeezed between two outstanding older siblings and her protege brother, Abby is determined to make her mark. She takes solace in the words of inspiration from the 73 calendars she has in her room, and records the quotes in her purple notebook. Kids will love Abby's humorous and hip ...more
Published May 1st 2003 by Scholastic Inc. (first published January 1st 2000)

Sam! at the bookstore
Rating: 5 stars

(late review)
These were honestly my favorite books in elementary school. I discovered them in my school library, and I was such a fast reader already that I read the entire series (which is, like, 30 books) in a few weeks! Abby Hayes made me want to keep my journal (tried and failed miserably...), be in fifth grade, and be super creative. Basically, my childhood = The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes.
Shalen
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I think I first read this book in the fourth grade, maybe third, and I remember entering grade five and being SO excited that I was in Abby's grade. Now, in grade 10, I tend to read books that are geared to my age level and older instead of "pre-teen" books. Still, I loved this book so much that I ended up with most of the books in the series sitting on my bookshelf. I read it when I need light reading. Because I know it almost off by heart, I don't have to deal with the apprehension that often ...more
Rhoda  Crowell
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought it might be nice to look at a few of the older series that we have on our library shelve. The Abby Hayes series started with "Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining in 2000 and continued through a dozen more adventures. Abby herself is a likeable character (Sometimes a little too up-beat and squeaky clean for some middle-schoolers). She is trying so hard to find her special place in a family of over-achievers. Written in journal form and cleverly illustrated; these stories should appeal to yo ...more
Ari
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! If you liked this book you should read the rest of the series! I would read every single book over again! Love this book, L-O-V-E this book!
Chelsea
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book when I was in middle school. I remember at the time enjoying the character's love for calendars, it prompted me to get a unique calendar each year... which I still do as an adult. Additionally, I had completely forgotten the title and author, and am so very pleased with rediscovering it!
Ria
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about Abby Hayes asking questions and she wants to be a soccer star. The most funny part was when she scored a point for the other team and then fell in the mud. I really liked it when She wrote an article for her school and got it in the newspaper. This book was very funny.
Annabelle
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Abby is a funny character and she loves to write -- she's my age, too!!!! It's very fun to read about her and her problems . . . definitely a good read!!!!!
Miss_b
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Abby Hayes is a likeable 5th grader who is trying to find her place in a family of overachievers etc. I need to read a few more but I think she/these books seem to be a nicer option than say, Dear Dumb Diary which have a bit of a mean streak. They are a tad outdated (references to gameboys) but I think children will still be able to connect with them despite that.
Tiara
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I discovered this series when I was 10 (2002) and it resonated with me so much. Abby is the reason purple is my favorite color, haha. I definitely plan on finding these books again for my future children!
Hope
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet and enjoyable. Abby is a fun character, very relatable for kids her age, I would think. I will definitely read more of these even if they're geared for a much younger audience lol
Hannah
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have to add this to my Goodreads shelf if only for nostalgia's sake. Fourth grade Hannah lived for Abby Hayes.
Jubilee
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this series as a kid, and it's still as wonderful as I remembered! I love Abby's journal entries!
Kristina
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-fic
I didn't realize how much this series influenced my childhood life goals...and my early writing style.
Paige
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Right off the bat, I knew I had to read more about Abby. One of my favorite childhood series.
Heather
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Meet Abby Hayes, a normal fifth grader, but this is a problem when her whole family is super smart or athletic. She is just normal and wants to be great at something, but cannot seem to be good at anything, but perhaps writing. So a new school year starts and a new teacher comes with it, a new teacher with another teacher friend who is going to come in once a week to teach the students creative writing. Abby is so excited and happy about this that she cannot wait to get started. But Abby also wa ...more
Milena Hovhannisyan
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved this book its about a fifth grade girl named Abby Hayes that loves to write and play soccer. Her dream is to become a soccer start and be famous by that, so she is trying her best to become one. Since she loves to write she has a journal that she writes every moment of her life in there, for example, she writes about her teachers, describes her friends and most importantly what happens during soccer. She has a collection of all sorts of calendars total of 70 and in each one she writes h ...more
Adiva
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Who love's writing? Well, I know who, Abby Hayes does. Abby is brave because she didn't gave up to became a soccer player in her whole school. I think that Abby is jealous because her two big sisters are smart and really good at sports and everyone in her family is good at something and have a talent and she is good at nothing and she has no talent in her family. Abby is tring to impress her family and friends and everyone at the whole school. This is a entertaining book. I enjoyed reading this ...more
Morgan Myers
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-tweens
The Abby Hayes series was one of my favorites when I was young. It's a classic coming-of-age story as Abby tries to find out what makes her unique, but it's done with classic characters that have distinct personalities and are easy to relate to. I especially liked Abby's journal entries, because I liked to write myself. My only complaint about this book and the rest of the series is that some of the characters are too perfect. Mean girl Brianna never seems to do anything wrong, although not ever ...more
Lauren
Sep 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pre-teens, Early YA, Series-lovers, Middle-schoolers
I've read this WHOLE series. :D
Granted, I was about 11 at the time, but I still loved it. I still re-read them every so often. xDD

It's a great series for girls who are just getting into the more advanced books--early YA. It's a rather long series, around 15 books since I heard last, but worth the time. I actually went out and bought each installment, rather than just getting them from the library; that's how good it was. =)

This series is a great mix of basic drama, first crushes, best friends, a
Jessica-Robyn
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: early readers
Growing up I loved reading, picture books amazed me and my bed times stories were never long enough. But when it came time for me to read on my own, growing up meant moving on to chapter books. This was not a smooth transition. My love of reading faded in those many years when beginner chapter books were what I was expected to read, when all I wanted to do was return to the colour illustrations and beautiful prose of the younger children's section.

But then along came Abby Hayes. This entire seri
Mona
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Nicely written and nice illustrations. I didn't care for the way the main character ended up feeling so diminished just because she was different from her siblings. I think they pull this out in the end, though, maybe if you keep reading the series, she feels better. I guess all main characters can't be strong and independent, though. I just think they didn't have her deal with that until the very end, and some kids might take that as justification of her feelings. I wish she would've found a wa ...more
Stephanie Nawrocki
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is actually a great series for young girls to read. Abby is much like your average 5th grade girl, going through changes and trying to figure things out. In this book Abby is trying to find her special talent despite being a middle child and having a super smart brother. Along the way, she records quotes from her collection of calendars in a purple notebook. Abby is quirky, funny, and relatable for young readers. Following Abby's adventures is fun and easy, making this a great selection for ...more
Nana
I love The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes--they're really quick reads and Abby and I a lot alike--except pretty much of the fact that I don't collect calenders (but I do love inspirational messages) and I don't have that many siblings! I love to write as well, but I don't write as often...but I would like to.

I'm starting to read (well planning to) The Declaration of Independence (the 2nd book in the series)
Jemly Jose
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book when i was 10 and i completely fell in love with it.I simply love Abby Hayes since i could totally relate to her.It was definitely a page turner for me.Anne Mazer's witty writing style made her my favorite author at the time.But its been eight years and maybe i wont feel the same if i read it right now.But why to ruin a good memory.Anyway,i would definitely suggest this book to pre-teens and early teens.
Sarah Kim
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this series in 2nd or 3rd grade and I was OBSESSED. Abby Hayes was my childhood!! She's such a funny and relatable character, even today. She's supposed to be a 5th grade girl but honestly acts like a sixteen-year-old. I think it would be my dream to purchase the entire series <33 If anyone is looking for a light, enjoyable read--- DEFINITELY read this series. It'll take you at max a week to read them all and it will forever change your life for the better!!!!!!
Nathaly Angamarca
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl name abby hayes and she is going to fifth grade . When she is in fifth grade she notice that her supersibs, and the perfect older twins and her genius little brother has showed their hayes worthiness . Also abby wants here dream to come true ,like a soccer player like eva. So she thinks that this year in fifth grade is going to be the best year ever , and she's going to record every moment of it!
Dee
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This was a cute book that was fun to read with my 6 year old daughter. I liked the "handwritten" journal entries, though I found the way they were written was a bit confusing for my daughter who isn't used to the omission of words as a means of making quick journal entries. Each entry should have begun with "Note to self: ...". Besides that, it was an easy read that I didn't mind going to at my daughter's bedtime.
Taylor
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was literally my favourite book series as an eleven year old girl. Even though they had nothing to do with fashion whatsoever, these were seriously the only books I read for the longest time. I think what I loved so much was the little journal entries throughout the books and how she loved writing, which I also love. I do not remember each book specifically, but all together I would recommend this series for any younger girl who absolutely loves reading!
Rebecca
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-read
Abby's siblings definitely belong in the Hayes family. They're super talented and smart. Her one older sister is a basketball star while the other is a star student. Her little brother is a boy genius, but Abby? Well, she's just Abby destined for greatness...someday.

A great read for anyone who likes stories in diary format - it speaks of the struggles of trying to be great at something when you feel intimidated by others.
Carson
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Written in purple ink, Abby's favorite color. Abby Hayes collects calendars as a hobby and is an intensely relatable character. With red hair that doesn't always cooperate and situations that sometimes leave her with hurt feelings, she's the every girl. Each chapter starts with a quote from a different calendar from her collection.
  • Amelia Writes Again (Amelia's Notebooks, #2)
  • Only the Lonely (From the Files of Madison Finn, #1)
  • Amber Brown Goes Fourth
  • Worst Enemies/Best Friends (Beacon Street Girls, #1)
  • Welcome to Camden Falls (Main Street, #1)
  • Judy Moody, M.D.: The Doctor is In! (Judy Moody #5)
  • Picture This (Lizzie McGuire, #5)
  • Natalie's Secret (Camp Confidential, #1)
Quite a lot of Anne Mazer’s writing education took place while she was unconscious. Her parents wanted desperately to become writers and made themselves get up at 4:00 a.m. Every morning in order to have writing time before their three young children awoke. The first thing Anne heard every day was two big, noisy electric typewriters. The furious sound of typing was her childhood wake-up music. Dur ...more

The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Declaration Of Independence (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #2)
  • Reach For The Stars (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #3)
  • Have Wheels, Will Travel (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #4)
  • Look Before You Leap (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #5)
  • The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #6)
  • Two Heads Are Better Than One (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #7)
  • The More, The Merrier (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #8)
  • Out of Sight, Out of Mind (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #9)
  • Everything New Under The Sun (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #10)
  • Too Close For Comfort (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #11)