Start by marking “A Little Thing Called Love” as Want to Read:
A Little Thing Called Love

A Little Thing Called Love

(Marrying the Duke 0.5)

Grandmother, grandmother, who shall it be
Who shall it be who will marry me?
Duke, Earl, a powerful marquess?
When my heart is given to Fyclan Morris…

In New York Times bestselling author Cathy Maxwell's new novella, beautiful Jennifer Tarleton has no lack of noble suitors, but the only man who captures her attention is the one her father will never let her marr
Published September 22nd 2015 by Avon Impulse

To ask other readers questions about A Little Thing Called Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Thing Called Love

Mary - Buried Under Romance

Cathy Maxwell delights with this novella introducing her new series, Marrying the Duke. Elin Morris has been betrothed from the cradle to the Duke of Baynton, and as their engagement draws near, will she actually marry him? This tale is that of Elin’s parents.

Fyclan Morris was born an Irish brat, with a gypsy grandmother who told him that he was destined for great things, and that his children’s children will be dukes and princes, but he must first meet the right woman. As the y
D.G.
**2.5 stars**

So this story is all about the heroine following her own path and not allowing her father to dictate who she would marry and then she turns around and affiances her own daughter to marry the heir of a duke when she's still a toddler?

This novella is pretty much a set up for the series. The hero's grandma first told him he would know the woman of his dreams when he first met her so when he saw the hero
Katherine
”Was it wrong to hope to meet a man like the ones she read about in novels? Adventurous men, daring men, empathetic and compassionate men?”

What’s that, you say? A historical romance novel that doesn’t have a cad love interest only interested in getting it on. AND HE LIKES BOOKS?!!

But before we get into that, why don’t we delve into a little story time?

I had the opportunity to visit Ireland back in 2010. It’s a beautiful country with generally very nice, warm, and lovely people. One of
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Posted on What I'm Reading

What a way to kickoff a new series. In A Little Thing Called Love we meet to Fyclan Morris and Jennifer Tarleton. Now Fyclan has gone into this belief that he would find the one woman that is suppose to make his world complete, and he finds her. Now Jennifer is this beauty that is suppose to save her family from ruin, which isn't easy because they view her as an oddity. Granted she was blessed with looks, but she has intellect. We all know that is looked down upon, so
Kimberly
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. An incredibly sweet romance. I adored it :)
Ki
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, own, ebook
Hi y’all! So this is the first introduction to Cathy’s new series, Marrying the Duke!

It’s a short novella and a very heartwarming and loving start into a new series. It’s definitely A Little Thing Call Love kind of story~

To start, this story is about the parents of the main characters in the series. It’s absolutely adorable how they fell in love and is just full of hope and faith.

Jenny is the youngest daughter of three and the diamond of the family. She’s the
Becca
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it
If not for the earnestness of the storytelling, this would have been a two star book.

I am all one for romantic stories and an escape from real life, but this was too unbelievable. Fyclan and Jennifer see each other for the first time, "fall in love," and immediately abandon all common sense, rules of propriety, and ties to family to be together, I just couldn't stop myself from rolling my eyes.

If some gentleman my family hated approached me with a bunch of talk about his
Chitra *CJ*
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: safety-first, v-card
Such a sweet insta-love filled prologue to this series by CM.
I really enjoyed the short read- especially the library scenes. Both H/h were uber lovable.
4/5
Bambi Unbridled
I'm not usually into short stories (or maybe this is more of a novella). I just find that shorter stories don't give me enough time or detail to really connect with the story and the character. So I was so pleasantly surprised by this quick little prequel and can't wait to read the rest of the series!!!

Fyclan Morris is a proud Irishman who has made his fortune with the East India Trading Company. With a Romany grandmother who foretold his destiny of love a great and successful legacy
Donna
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a magical love story to start Cathy Maxwell's new series, Marrying the Duke! This is the love story of Fyclan and Jenny. Their love was foretold by Fyclan's gypsy grandmother. They share a love of books which helped bring them together. This novella can easily be read in an evening and you won't put it down. The heroine in the first book of the trilogy, "Match of the Century", is the daughter of Jenny and Fyclan. I enjoyed this novella and can't wait for Elin's story in November.
Aoi
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hf-england

Do you remember those old childrens' tales we read? Wherein the characters face a dire fate, yet go about their day singing songs and being so damned earnest about everything?

The hero and heroine of this story are like that..

A classic tale of infatuation at first sight that leads to them abandoning all sense of self preservation and common sense.
Diane K. Peterson
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to Maxwell's new series, Marrying the Duke. This novella was a sort of prequel to the series. It had a little bit of enchantment and a lot of charm.
Kate
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
There’s very little room for conflict in this long novella, a prequel to a series I may be willing to read. But this author is DECIDEDLY in the women-want-to-be-taken-care-of,men-want-to-care-for camp, and her paragons of businessmen are pretty annoying. A bookish heroine and Irish hero (ethnicity stands in for all sorts of qualities in modern romance, this time a marker of Real Masculinity compared to those namby-pamby Brit Aristocrats) fall in love with some father-resents-the-fellow nonsense. ...more
Giselle Bradley
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
On it's own I don't think this story holds up. But after reading the first one it was fun backstory on the parents. Is it way to insta lovey? Absolutely. Its it too short? Yes. Did there need to be more character development and time for the characters to get to know each other? Yup! But I still liked the knowledge it gave me.
Isha Coleman
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
PRE-ORDER: A LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE BY CATHY MAXWELL. AVAILABLE 9/22

READ AND REVIEW

PRE-ORDER NOW!!

A LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE BY CATHY MAXWELL

Release Date:  September 22, 2015

SYNOPSIS

Grandmother, grandmother, who shall it beWho shall it be who will marry me?Duke, Earl, a powerful marquess?When my heart is given to Fyclan Morris…

In New York Times bestselling author Cathy Maxwe
Sha
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Pros: Some genuinely sweet scenes, particularly in the post-relationship era (which is a definite weakness of mine). Interesting concepts. It's a pretty okay HR book.

Cons: It suffers from a bad case of telling and not showing, what with the narrative assuring us that every instinct, feeling and unsubstantiated conclusion drawn by the protagonists was the gospel truth.

There's also a rather curious case of insta-love. The hey-this-actually-makes-sense circumstances of the protagonists (prophetic
Dawn
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jaci
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A lovely story that will begin a new series for Cathy Maxwell. I loved it!!! A true love at first sight story. A man who knows he has just found the love of his life and a young lady realizes that she has never really truly felt valued or loved by her family. Jenny and Fyclan are truly meant for each other and will do anything to be together and they do. Cathy writes beautiful, passionate, soulful love stories that are a joy to read. Her plots and characters are surprising, clever and inventive. ...more
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
I loved this introduction (novella) to the series Marrying the Duke. Do true love exist and can it be foreseen? This questions is answered and the life of one Miss is put to the test. I loved getting to know Jenn. I loved that she took a stand for herself. I was sad at some of the outcomes but it was to be expect from the time. On to the next.
Natasha
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, 2016
This was a quick, light, heartwarming read. I think I would have appreciated it more, had I read The Match of the Century first.
Angela
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good narration, a super quick listen, now I'm curious about the rest of the series.
Susan
A terrific little novella that introduces the series Marrying the Duke. I didn't know about this story until after I read the main books, but it made no difference to my enjoyment of it. This is the story of the parents of the heroine in the first book, The Match of the Century. Jenny is the youngest daughter of the family and the most beautiful of the three. Her father is determined that Jenny will marry well enough to rescue him from his gambling debts. Jenny isn't thrilled with any of her sui ...more
Michelle Boyer-Kelly
A short story in which the two characters are fated to be together and that's about all that is needed to convince them. I'm okay with date but the short length of the novella makes it hard for any character depth.

Lots of impractical moments occur, and some do make me roll my eyes. The story is a little sappy (see the moment Jennifer loses her virginity).

Biggest problem: female lead spends the entire novella trying to gain independence, and thus choose her own husband...... then agrees to an a
Melinda
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cmc2020
Fyclan has been told of the women who would love by his grandmother's visions. When he sets eyes on Jennifer, he knows she is the one. I loved the aspects of the books and the private library where they first laid eyes on one another. The way Cathy Maxwell places that theme throughout this novella and bringing them together. Genius! A sweet, quick read with a wonderful Happily Ever After.
Mai
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
The whole "this is fate so just trust it" didn't really work for me. I get why Fyclan might think so growing up the way he did, but it was too much of a stretch. If you can get past the destiny plot, it's a great little novella.
Erin
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
A sweet story of finding your own path. I wish Jenny as the mother in the next book was a little more understanding of her daughter’s desire to do the same.
Cynthia Miller
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So enjoyed the story!
Sara Reads (mostly) LOTS of Romance
It was too serious and very sad for me, and foreshadowed a sad future for the couple and so I won't continue this series anymore. I like light hearted novels
Michelle Duhon
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a really cute short story that will melt your heart.
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Aug 06, 2015 08:24PM

• Tempting Mr. Weatherstone (Wallflower Weddings, #0.5)
  • A Lady's Guide to Skirting Scandal (The Lords of Worth, #2.5)
  • All's Fair In Love and Scandal (Scandalous, #2.5)
  • The Duke of Dark Desires (The Wild Quartet, #4)
  • Her Highland Fling (Second Sons, #2.5)
  • The Pirate and I (Devil's Duke, #2.5)
  • No Groom at the Inn (Dukes Behaving Badly, #2.5)
  • Forever Your Earl (The Wicked Quills of London, #1)
  • One Mad Night
  • Beyond Scandal and Desire (Sins for All Seasons, #1)
  • A Match Made in Mistletoe
  • Wild Ride
  • To Feel Again (1Night Stand, #1)
  • One Moonlit Night (Moonlight Square, #0.5)
  • Émilie's Voice
  • With This Christmas Ring (Studies in Scandal, #2.5; Lords of Anarchy, #3.5)
  • With This Kiss: Part Three
  • Lessons in Gravity (Study Abroad, #2)
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.

Marrying the Duke (3 books)
  • The Match of the Century (Marrying the Duke, #1)
  • The Fairest of Them All (Marrying the Duke, #2)
  • A Date at the Altar (Marrying the Duke, #3)