Start by marking “Dreamland” as Want to Read:
Dreamland

Dreamland

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  1,736 Ratings  ·  315 Reviews
Odea Donahue has been able to travel through people’s dreams since she was six years old. Her mother taught her the three rules of walking:

Never interfere.
Never be seen.
Never walk the same person’s dream more than once.

Dea has never questioned her mother, not about the rules, not about the clocks or the mirrors, not about moving from place to place to be one step ahead of
Published September 22nd 2015 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Dreamland, please sign up.
Melissa Definitely a must check out book! Just finished it and highly recommended!! ~*Happy reading*~

Robert Anderson
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is my book!

“That was life: one big chain reaction, a series of sparks and explosions.
Always explosions.”

This was an interesting YA paranormal/fantasy story about a girl who could visit other people’s dreams.

Poor Dea had a really rough time in this book, the way she was so confused over what was happening, and what was going on with her mother was really difficult for her, and to be i
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
Actual rating: 2.5 stars.

The first rule, which Dea had already intuited, was that she must never try to change anything or intervene in another person's dream.
The second rule, related to the first, was that she might walk as many dreams as she wished if she was careful, and follow all the rules, but she must never walk the same person's dreams more than once.
And the third rule was that she must never, ever be seen.

Dreamland is not a bad book. It's a good book, but it failed to engage me on
Adam Silvera
"Even though they had no faces, she could tell they were smiling."

There are faceless men in this book and it's creepy as f**k. DREAMLAND is a chilling dark fantasy everyone needs on their radar. The dream sequences and dream world (and those whom inhabit it) are so fully developed, and Robert L. Anderson has one hell of an imagination. I joked online that if Neil Gaiman and Ransom Riggs had a kid, it'd be Robert L. Anderson. What I mean by that is that RLA tells a story set prominently in our r
Mizuki
Dreamland is a refreshing debut book from Robert L. Anderson. The heroine is a 17 years old fatherless girl who can hack into someone else's dreams and 'walk' them. Her mother, who can also 'walk' dreams is the only one who knows the secret. The mother informs her daughter from very early on that there are a few rules about dream-walking and the pair is always on the move to escape some unknown 'monsters'.

Now, mother and daughter are temporarily living in a small town, the heroine manages to ma
Lia Bonnibel  (pidgey)
This kinda disappointed me. I was expecting...To be honest I don't know what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't this - especially because the synopsis says MS fans would love it and...I am a huge MS fan, but didn't love it. At all-.
The writing was nice, though.
{might reread it}
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Anderson's debut novel Dreamland is an imaginative read that after only a few short chapters piqued my interest and quickly made me want to know more about Dea and what she could do as well as the dream world itself.

This turned out to be more than just a fantasy read. In fact it is woven with mystery after mystery and even became a bit creepy as Dea became more and more immersed in the dream world and all that entailed with the monsters, men, and other beings that inhabited it.

The heart of the
Liz Barnsley
I very much enjoyed the concept of Dreamland - and for the most part it was a sound, enjoyable and engaging read, probably my favourite thing about it was the imagery - the dreamscape Robert L Anderson creates is clever and atmospheric, the portions of the tale where Dea is walking dreams had a great depth to them, occasionally very shiver inducing.

The plotting is intriguing, a "girl meets boy" fairly standard tale with a twist, as Dea breaks all the dreamwalking rules and creates rifts it was v
Elaina
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

This book sounded so interesting to me when I read the synopsis. The world was very intriguing, but there were so many other things about this book that I did not like :/ I didn't really like the characters they were just"okay". I did like Toby the cat though lol :p

I went into this book blind, without knowing what to expect and boy it sure was creepy at times. The mystery aspect of this book is what kept me interested. Other than that, I just really did not enjoy it. The author made fu
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
Read the entire review at Such a Novel Idea!

I received a copy of this book via the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion in any way.

Wow wow WOW! That seriously took my breath away and the end gave me simultaneous goosebumps and prickly tears. To assert such a physical reaction is why this book is truly deserving of the elusive 5 star rating.

I love the 'parts' of this book because they were timed out so well and gave the reader exactly what they needed in the
Lily
There are three rules when it comes to travelling through another person’s dream; never change anything, never walk the same dream more than once and never, ever be seen.

Dreamland is a young adult paranormal fantasy cross thriller about a girl burdened with the ability to travel through other people’s dreams, glimpsing worlds of magic and subconscious wish fulfilment. But these worlds are also dangerous, faceless monsters reside within nightmarish landscapes without rule or reason, desperately h
Lightrainbow
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
После прочтения осталось ощущение, что я действительно побывала во сне, погружение удалось. Мне очень часто и много снится разных сновидений, и эта тематика всегда меня манит.
"Страна снов" - необычная, причудливая и интересная история, написанная приятным образным языком. То, как прописаны сны, действительно позволяет ощутить все буквально на себе, и это хочется особенно отметить. Еще понравилось, что при всей фантастичности все происходящее ощущалось очень реалистично. То есть, мне не казалось
Anny
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me ha gustado muchísimo. Tratando el tema de los sueños y mundos distintos, tenía muchas ganas de leerlo y me ha encantado. Es un tema que me atrae desde hace mucho pero nunca encontraba libros así. Misteriosos. Con giros sorprendentes y este lo ha sido. Los personajes me gustaron mucho y en general, también la trama. Quizás me hubiera faltado un capítulo más para saber lo que pasa a conmutación pero aún así es un buen final.
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of dark fantasy novels
Shelves: first-read-wins
Author: Robert L Anderson
Published: 24/09/2015

I received this book for free through GoodReads FirstReads competitions.

This book features the fascinating Odea Donahue who has been able to travel through people's dream since she was just 6 years old. She follows her mothers rules about walking in dreams until there is a new boy Connor in town. She opens up to him and begins to wonder whether she should tell him about walking through dreams. Then for the first time Odea breaks the rules and suddenl
Anabel
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ha sido un libro muy adictivo, desde el comienzo me he sumergido en la historia. El comienzo parece un libro normal juvenil, pero pronto la protagonista nos mete en el mundo de los sueños. Es un mundo increíble, nunca había leído nada así y me ha encantado, si es que solo me ha durado dos días, solo quería leer. El problema es que no sé si es mi edición, pero tiene muchas erratas, faltan palabras y hay frases que no me cuadran, es una pena, puede que sea solo mi edición de prensa.
Muy pronto res
MarinaLawliett
*5*
Llevo con este libro aproximadamente un mes, sé que no es demasiado pero a mi me ha parecido una eternidad. Lo compré en la feria del libro de Madrid porque me llamó muchísimo la atención la historia y al ser distopía juvenil de las mías y con una letra bastante grande pensaba que lo leería en una semana, hasta que abrí la primera página y me encontré con errores ortográficos y gramaticales cada dos por tres. Me da muchísima rabia porque la historia me ha gustado bastante, pero sentía que leí
Mishma
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book from Harper Teen in exchange for a honest review.

Dea walks dreams. She's always been able to do it and more than a gift or a power, it has become an unwanted part of her life. It prevents her from being normal, along with the constant moving, a weird and secretive mother, a life where mirrors are prohibited and clocks are welcomed - she has always been an outsider, a freak and a loner. For a short time, she thinks that everything's alright, with the entry of Connor
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review can be found at The Book Bratz

I picked up Dreamland five separate times, read a few pages and then put it down. I haven't been in the mood for anything but contemporaries for a few weeks now and I knew that I was either going to love this one or end up getting annoyed with it and not finishing it. Thankfully I loved it. I say thankfully because Dreamland is truly unique and something different in YA.

I am going to do this review a little differently. Let's start out with what I
Aira  Cabrera
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Dea lives in a small town with her mother. Kids at school avoid her, because they find Dea and her mother to be too weird. They’re not wrong. Dea’s mother is always antsy. Dea has been to tons of schools, because her mother always moves them to a new town. They just pack up and leave like there is always someone chasing after them. Her mother also has weird antics. Mirrors are banned. There are always tons of locks on their doors.
Valerie
What an interesting and different read. Dream walker. Lots of secrets. Lots of intertwined plot lines. It had me trying to figure things out and coming up empty. What's real? What's a dream? Good stuff.

This one's in third persona and it's not my favorite. But the good news is that I ended up feeling connected to the characters anyway. I think the mystery of this read is increased by the third person writing style.

I liked Dea and Connor. Dea's always been the strange one no matter where her moth
April
Dreamland by Robert L. Anderson has an official summary that basically compares the book to The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater, so OF COURSE, I had to give it a listen. Read my full review here Link goes live 2/13/2017
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 10/15/15: Hmmmmm maybe 3.25 - 3.5 stars. Good but missing some big things for me.
Dreamland was really interesting and I always love a good book about dreams! There's just so much you can do with that concept and really and unlimited amount of places you can go. The biggest problem I had with this book, though, came down to world building and a little bit of structure.
(Some SUPER MINOR spoilers (that some might not even consider spoilers) as I explain what Dea encounters thi
Ricardo
Oct 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
1.5 / 5

Este libro tal vez hubiera funcionado hace diez años pero hoy en día es imposible. Una protagonista que llora en cada capítulo, una historia poco original y una narrativa de lo más agotadora. Pésimo.
Sarena Nanua
Disclaimer: I received this book for review from HarperCollins Canada in exchange for my honest opinion. This has in no way impacted my final review of the book.

When I picked up this book, I didn’t really have any idea of what to expect. The cover to me had always been intriguing (one of the reasons I wanted to read the ARC!) but I still wasn’t sure how “dark” this book would actually be. But I think this book completely caught me by surprise–it was dark, lush, creepy, and magical!

Let’s start wi
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
There were a few sections where my mind wandered but overall, really interesting.

I really enjoyed Dreamland by Robert L. Anderson. It was interesting and different and it went places that I didn't expect. I didn't know all that much about the book before I picked it up and I kind of liked that too.

Dreamland is the story of Dea Donahue, this teenage girl who lives with her mother and has this unusual gift of being able to enter other people's dreams. Her mother tells Dea there are three rules to
Kay Jay
Я начала читать эту книгу из-за схожего сюжета с любимым Зильбером. Но практически ничего общего.
Хоть я давно читала Зильбер, помню точно: можно ходить в сны владельца предмета. Тут так же.

Меня удивляло то, что мать большую часть называется по имени. И небольшая неправдоподобность отношений матери и дочери.

О персонажах известно только то, что нужно для сюжета.

Героиня знала, что нельзя нарушать правила, но, почти не думая, нарушала, а потом жалела.

Я против воли находила сходства с другими книгами
Melissa
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone of any age who likes YA, fantasy w/true to life events, suspense, fun, well written stories
Recommended to Melissa by: ARC from Harper Collins Publishing TYVM
Okay, this was an awesome read for me. I have always had a fascination about dreams and to think of being able to do what the MC does??!! Definitely in for that.......

description

More to come as this has a lot to say about it and I'm still toying with five stars. The characters all have so much uniqueness about them to offer some great character thoughts. The location, surroundings and the great atmospheric feel from how the author described things without it being stagnant descriptions, but vivid, murky, s
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Robert L. Anderson leads us into the world where dreams can come true. But it's also a world where monsters from your worst nightmares can hunt you down in real life.

Dea is a dreamwalker(gets energy from dreams), living in a small town with her mother and their dog. She only has one friend and everyone else judges her because both her and her mom are a bit strange. Everything changes when a mysterious boy, Connor, moves close by. His mother and little brother were murdered when he was just a ki
Tara
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story started off well, but about halfway through I got bored and it became reading just so I could finish and move on to a different book. A few points about it:

1) I feel like the author tried to do too much in one book. There ended up being like three different main story lines combined, and it left the last few chapters feeling rushed and unsatisfying.

2) The characters aren't that great. The main character's talent is very cool, but other than that she was just sort of.. Bleh. I didn't
Lesincele Viaja gracias a los libros
Me ha gustado mucho. Al principio parecía ser una novela juvenil más pero luego cambia todo y se vuelve realmente interesante y adictivo. El tema de los sueños está tratado de una forma muy original además de mezclar ese tema más paranormal con suspense y algo de novela policíaca.
Me ha encantado la mezcla. El único pero es que tiene alguna errata o palabras que faltan pero imagino que será cosa de mi libro que es ejemplar de prensa.
All Things YA: Fantasy Books 1 2 Jun 12, 2017 05:39PM
  • The Unquiet
  • Bluescreen (Mirador, #1)
  • Etherworld (Elusion, #2)
  • The Shadow Behind the Stars
  • This Monstrous Thing
  • Ash & Bramble (Ash & Bramble, #1)
  • The Edge of Forever (The Edge of Forever #1)
  • Velvet Undercover
  • Cut Both Ways
  • After the Red Rain
  • Mindwalker (Mindwalker, #1)
  • The Leveller (The Leveller, #1)
  • Fish Out of Water
  • The Tattooed Heart (Messenger of Fear, #2)
  • The Wanderers
  • The Memory Key
  • Emancipated (Emancipated, #1)
  • Very in Pieces
Robert L. Anderson grew up in Brooklyn and graduated college in 2004 with a degree in philosophy. Since then, he has lived in five states and twelve countries, and on three continents. Dreamland is his first novel. He is represented by literary agent Stephen Barbara.
More about Robert L. Anderson

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Red Mars (Mars Trilogy, #1)
  • The Gods Themselves
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49